IGNORED

Monk

Frome Red

is it just me that isn't hugely keen on this move? money wise it makes no sense and being of a similar age to Carey, his ability is only going to diminish. We need to be looking for a player with similar qualities but 8-10 years younger. maybe it'l happen and i'll be proved wrong but i'm hoping for a player for the long term

Crikey, rare praise from our favourite Croydon clubs' forum when they were chatting about Garry Monk....

He'd be great for anybody in this division. If Bristol City get him I can't see why there fans shouldn't demand to be serious playoff contenders this season.

I get uncomfortable when other fans start to talk us up!

is it just me that isn't hugely keen on this move? money wise it makes no sense and being of a similar age to Carey, his ability is only going to diminish. We need to be looking for a player with similar qualities but 8-10 years younger. maybe it'l happen and i'll be proved wrong but i'm hoping for a player for the long term

Personally I don't wanna wait 8-10 years for promotion, I might be dead by then!!! Monk would be a very decent buy and with all due respect to Carey I think this guy will be challenging him for his place rather quickly.

Absolutely nothing wrong with signing a quality experienced centre back - remember Shaun Taylor? I think Monk could well be the final piece of the jigsaw. Another great signing from McInnes - the only thing that could put a dampener on all this is a large bid coming in for Albert before next Friday. We currently have the best squad I've seen in years but he is a key player. Not sure I can hold my breath for a week......

Would be very satisfying if we're 2-0 up at half time again tomorrow and then the ex-Swansea captain gets paraded on the pitch in front of the Malaysian Red Dragons!

No not just you. Doesn't really excite me and can't see the sense in signing player who, as you say, is only a year or two younger than Carey. Surely if we want an alternative option to Carey then he should be just that, alternative. Overall tho I would have to back Del's opinion who would undoubtedly know more about Monk than I and he could well turn about to 've a great short term signing.

What is this obsession with signing young players? Where has it got us in the past? As the poster says above, I'm fed up with waiting for these players with "potential" to actually never fulfil it. If someone had similar qualities as Monk but was 8-10 years younger, he wouldn't be playing for us ala Caulker. We've got the chance to sign a real hard winning centre back with some fantastic premier league experience. A player that was at the heart of defence in a team that stood firm and even wowed the Premier League. He is also a captain and a leader. Great signing IMO

Monk is a superb centre half certainly at championship level. Fit as you like and experienced.

I would take him above the other names being touted about.

Just what we need

Absolutely. Monk is a natural born leader, and with all respect to Carey, I think this guy would be able to play more games....and more importantly....is better then Carey.

Fontaine would flourish with someone like him along side him.

So far...after a couple of games, I will hold my hand up and say I may have been wrong about giving Carey that extension...however, we all know he will only play between 20-25 games tops!! we need someone who could manage 35-40

What is this obsession with signing young players? Where has it got us in the past? As the poster says above, I'm fed up with waiting for these players with "potential" to actually never fulfil it. If someone had similar qualities as Monk but was 8-10 years younger, he wouldn't be playing for us ala Caulker. We've got the chance to sign a real hard winning centre back with some fantastic premier league experience. A player that was at the heart of defence in a team that stood firm and even wowed the Premier League. He is also a captain and a leader. Great signing IMO

I wouldn't want one 8-10 year's younger as I think experience and character are some of he things we need to be looking for but personally I would prefer them to be the right side of 30.

I wouldn't want one 8-10 year's younger as I think experience and character are some of he things we need to be looking for but personally I would prefer them to be the right side of 30.

Ok thats fair enough. Cant really debate with that.

No not just you. Doesn't really excite me and can't see the sense in signing player who, as you say, is only a year or two younger than Carey. Surely if we want an alternative option to Carey then he should be just that, alternative. Overall tho I would have to back Del's opinion who would undoubtedly know more about Monk than I and he could well turn about to 've a great short term signing.

The thing is it's not so much an alternative to Carey but someone who can play the games Carey can't as there's no way he'll be able to play every game this season. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on Monk but, if he can basically replicate the Carey of a couple of years ago (and indeed of now when fit and on form) but having him and Carey means we've got that sort of player available for pretty much every game then that'll do me just fine.

Just asked a few questions about Monk on their forum. Here are some of the replies thus far.

"Gary is a fantastic model professional and captain, I would be sorry to see him go. I always hoped that he could move into a "back room" position within the club, we owe him a lot. As for playing. Last season I felt that although he gave everything and played when injured he was lacking a little, just fell short of what is required in the Premier League. In The Championship he would be fine. He is strong well organised and reads the game well, possibly lacking a little pace. His positional sense and passing are also excellent. I think that you would probably get two good years out of him. After that, have him to do his coaching badges and send him back please.

icon_thumleft.gif

Hope that helps."

"if he stays fit you will have a solid player who reads the game well and is a great captain."

"Reads the game well, not scared of chucking himself in where it hurts (his right ankle won us a place in the Prem!), and almost unbeatable in an aerial battle. Not particularly good with the ball at feet, but more than capable of another couple of good years in the Championship if he can stop his back from playing up"

"He will do a job for you no doubt. Great organiser and leader , decent on the ball and brave.

His his problem .

In our hall of fame - no doubt about that."

"he's not the quickest but can read a game superbly so it isn't often a problem , he always seems to be in the right place at the right time , a born leader and role model

i'd say he has 2 seasons left in him unless ML goes on to "bigger things" then we'll have him back as manager , good luck today stick it up em fake redbirds"

"I'd prefer Monk to stay. I don't think he's good enough to play in this league, but I'd like to think there's some kind of player coach role available to him. We've lost a lot of coaching staff along with the losses of Martinez and Rodgers, and it would be nice to know there's still people around that have the experience of training around those past managers. Same situation for Tate.

"Could he cut in the Championship? He was solid during our promotion campaign, but I don't know if he's got it in him to go and start all over again at a new club."

Good organiser in defence, can pass very well and is a leader. Very good at reading the game, will miss games with his back injury

Good luck against the scum today"

"Monk is a natural leader, he's been our club captain for years now and one of the best we've ever had. He gives everything for the cause, his reading of the game and positioning at times are just pure genius, the fourty million pound block at wembley is a prime example aswell as Fulham away last year where he was just colossal, for me it was our best defencive display of the season up against the most in-form (at the time) strike force in the devision in Dempsey an Pogrebnyak and he was key to keeping the both of them quiet all game and getting the cleen sheet. He is susceptible to pace but his intelegence off the ball usualy nullifies it or more to the point it will do in the championship. He is a limited footballer with the ball at his feet but rarley gets beaten in the air.

If you do sign him you will have a quality leader and centerback on your hands, best of luck for the season."

Exactly.

If he signs we will have got a good mix surely? 4 players under 25, a couple mid-late 20's and a couple in their 30's. Great mix if you ask me.

Look at Cardiff - Bellamy, Helguson and Tommy Smith - very experienced players and a very big part of why they will be at the right end of the table again this season - IMO.

The thing is it's not so much an alternative to Carey but someone who can play the games Carey can't as there's no way he'll be able to play every game this season. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on Monk but, if he can basically replicate the Carey of a couple of years ago (and indeed of now when fit and on form) but having him and Carey means we've got that sort of player available for pretty much every game then that'll do me just fine.

Fair point but that assumes that their availability will conveniently tie in with each other. There is also the chance that both will be injured at the same time.

Ok thats fair enough. Cant really debate with that.

Appreciate that. Nice change from some on here who seem to argue for the sake of it. Wouldn't be adverse to him signing if that's what Del thinks is best and those comments you found are reassuring but still seems fitness would be a bit of a worry which would be my main concern with signing a 30+ player.

I must admit I'm not overly keen on signing anyone over the age of 28. It's a gamble, if Del signs him up on a 1 year contract I'll be happy as it's not like we're going to find a Steven Caulker any time soon. But with age, you only have to look at Ferdinand (33) and Puyol (34) to know you can still find defenders who keep their form as they go into their 30s.

I must admit I'm not overly keen on signing anyone over the age of 28. It's a gamble, if Del signs him up on a 1 year contract I'll be happy as it's not like we're going to find a Steven Caulker any time soon. But with age, you only have to look at Ferdinand (33) and Puyol (34) to know you can still find defenders who keep their form as they go into their 30s.

I'd like to see Monk on board, but the two examples you quote may actually argue against it - Puyol missed the Euros through injury and Ferdinand has only managed to play half a season for Utd in recent times due to injury.

Another Caulker would be ideal but we got incredibly lucky there and cannot expect lightning to strike twice.

I think badger has sold him to me. could well be a good acquisition. Just worry about the pace. Certain players in our league have frightening pace and he could be susceptible to being caught out. This is me trying to put a downer on it again though. I shall trust del if this transfer happens and hopefully he will be our final piece of the puzzle

I like the idea of Monk signing on a two-year contract. He's a leader, a player with vast championship experience and succeeding in the division aswell.

The fee wouldn't be any more than 200k i'd of though though? The team could look like this in a few weeks:

Heaton, Wilson, Monk, Fontaine, Cunningham, Adomah, Skuse, Pearson, Davies, Stead, Baldock.

subs: Gerken, Carey, Foster, Elliot, Morris, Anderson, Pitman

Such a new look squad and how much stronger is that from last season?! That back four and keeper would be vastly better than last year, midfield is fairly similar and the striking options are on another level.

COYR. Excited about today vs Red Birds.

I've never seen a City fan have a crossed word with a Swansea supporter in all my time frequenting 606 and the like. Think they're a random club we share a bond with, not unlike Hull (though for a much different reason).

I'd love to see Monk turn out for us. If he wants first team football for a few more seasons before returning to the club he loves, why not? Couldn't not help to have close ties with another Prem club anyway.

Archived