IGNORED

I've Spotted The Difference!

22A

Under the last three or four Managers, if City were winning by a single goal with 10 mins left, they'd fall back & defend. A tactic that frequently cost us. Under Del's guidance, City were 3-2 up with 10mins left so went looking for and scored a fourth!

Which other improvements in play have you noticed?

Under the last three or four Managers, if City were winning by a single goal with 10 mins left, they'd fall back & defend. A tactic that frequently cost us. Under Del's guidance, City were 3-2 up with 10mins left so went looking for and scored a fourth!

Spot on there, the work rate and keep pressing teams is the trick. Don't back off like Barcelona

The interesting thing for me (listening to the commentary) was that Del changed shape after their second to stop them piling on the pressure. That change of shape led to the final goal. Very astute IMO

The interesting thing for me (listening to the commentary) was that Del changed shape after their second to stop them piling on the pressure. That change of shape led to the final goal. Very astute IMO

when he took taylor off, he left baldock on his own and we stopped threatening them. that allowed their Def & MF to push on and Mac had to bring on Davies to go back to 2 up which led to the final goal - yes he changed shape, but perhaps the taylor sub to try stuff up midfield didnt work - all credit tho' he changed it back. a great team performance, and baldock looked VERY lively!

(just want to flag when woolford suggested he'd got a goals target pre season, many on here scoffed, perhaps time to eat humble pie)

i was a tad worried for about 4 minutes though after they scored the 2nd and realised Del had done exactly the same thing in the last match, and conceded then as well, when taking off a striker for a midfielder. The interesting thing this time is that he reacted by bringing Davies on. Bold decisions bode well.

when he took taylor off, he left baldock on his own and we stopped threatening them. that allowed their Def & MF to push on and Mac had to bring on Davies to go back to 2 up which led to the final goal - yes he changed shape, but perhaps the taylor sub to try stuff up midfield didnt work - all credit tho' he changed it back. a great team performance, and baldock looked VERY lively!

You sum it up nicely.Spot on.

No loan signings?

Agree with this - there's a togetherness that this is the team they play for, not a day out. DMc alludes to this in his post match interview on Player when asked about further signings, he talks about the window and says that there is still the loan market but that he wants his own players.

I'd add a couple of other things:

Louis Carey.

Playing for places. We've always had other players but usually everyone knew who the "first 11" were. Now other players are legitimate options, everyone has to play.

Strikers who can hold the ball up when played up from our defence and then bring midfielders into play in attacking positions (contrast with a Fonts long ball normally being the first ball of an opposition attack).

Retaining possession from crosses - one of our biggest weaknesses in recent years has been possession and giving the ball away too cheaply, now we are building around the box thoughtfully and if we do put a cross in, we play with an appropriate speed and angle that we either win a corner, setup a chance or - when available - recover the ball on the opposing wing and go again.

Games played - with only three league ones down, we haven't had a chance to look **** yet, which most seasons we inevitably do. The trick will be to keep this kind of thread and mentality on OTIB in defeat as well as the current high, because like it or not players have egos and read forums, and misplaced abuse and knee jerk criticisms drain confidence that's so evident now*.

*See: what's the difference with Martyn Woolford.

faith and trust, this group which in the main were a big part of last years horrible season have been given a second chance - throw in some additional class and you have a squad with the depth and belief to worry the best in this division.

Who knows we may even be the featured game on the football league show, we can only dream

Keep it up Del love your work.....

Symptomatic for me was, pre match & at half-time, seeing coaches putting players through organised & meaningful training routines. No more standing around hair preening, laughing when woefully misdirecting a 40 yard cross field pass or standing around having a chat about what nightclub was to be frequented later. Always occured to me if the management was so lax in front of paying punters what must it have been like in private practices? Seeing what we're now doing it's no coincidence players have discovered the benefits of playing in organised units & have the legs to sustain 90 mins of high tempo effort.

He may have left it late but the gaffer's close season acquisitions, in shaping his own team, look to have the basis of forming the 'real deal'. An additional centre half & creative midfielder & we could surprise many.

The way we defend corners. Not sure I like it though.

I remember McInnes on 20man last season and a caller was of the same mind.

McInnes' answer was short and concise,that's the way I do it and that's how it is.

I agree with you and that caller, however, there was something about McInnes' answer and his manner of that answer that spoke volumes of him as a leader.

In short, weather you agree or not McInnes is in charge and you do what is asked.

Archived