IGNORED

Swindon..

Sidebet

It's a shame that saying a League One goalkeeper with only a handful of football league appearances under his belt should know his place in the footballing food chain makes you a loon.

The whole situation hardly going to do the player any good. Is he going to do this EVERY time a player has an off day?

Fair dos, you can'y argue with what he is doing. Players who seem to think they are all that need bringing downa peg or two, and Di Canio certainly rustles some feathers, his methods seem to be getting results. It's about time managers showed these kind of balls.

he demands respect for him and the fans, there is nothing wrong with that.

Fair dos, you can'y argue with what he is doing. Players who seem to think they are all that need bringing downa peg or two, and Di Canio certainly rustles some feathers, his methods seem to be getting results. It's about time managers showed these kind of balls.

he demands respect for him and the fans, there is nothing wrong with that.

Very true , but this is the third player he's fallen out with since he took over. If he's going to advance through the leagues he will come up against bigger egos than the League 1/2 players he's been managing for the last couple of years. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me.

Very true , but this is the third player he's fallen out with since he took over. If he's going to advance through the leagues he will come up against bigger egos than the League 1/2 players he's been managing for the last couple of years. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me.

Sort of reminds me of GJ and his problems with egos

Yep, that is true,.Only difference between him and Ferguson, is Ferguson does his bellittling behind closed doors, but any players he is not happy with end up out of the door. This public demonstration of disfatisfaction he may have to curb if he goes further up the league. I see no problem what he did though, if hios keep is not performing, Haul him off like any other player. The keeper was the one out of order for reacting in the way he did

But you know where you stand with the bloke 100% commitment, 100% respect or you are out. His captain, who has been fantatic, shot out the door, now this keeper, he knows what he has to do, and mean it, or he is gone. He was a nothing before given a chance, and he could become a nothing again.

Sort of reminds me of GJ and his problems with egos

Indeed and like Johnson, Di Canio can't keep treating players like that. Eventually the players stop playing for you and you end up with a fractured dressing room.

The difference is that Di Canio does all the dirty laundry in public. At least Johnson kept his in the dressing room.

What you have to remember, and what I’ve said many times before is that your average Professional Footballer has Neanderthal at best, and almost sub human intelligence. Many of them have particular difficulty expressing themselves communicatively through the normal oral processes and have to indeed be told what to do.

Di Canio is not unlike the late great Brian Clough in my opinion when it comes to communicating, encouraging and galvanising his players into action…and it certainly works… Clough realised at an early stage in management that Footballers were performing for and being paid by the public who took the trouble to pay hard earned cash to go and watch them. He took an animal called Kenny Burns from Birmingham and made him into European Footballer of the year.

Much of Di Canios obscure comment should be contributed to the fact that English is not his native tongue and I’m sure much gets lost or misconstrued.

Personally I think the guy is a genius both when playing at Wham, and now in charge at Swindon. I don’t doubt that when (not if) he gets Swindon into the Championship he will be courted by a Seria A team for manager.

Any player joining Swindon certainly knows what to expect and more appropriate in this respect is the old adage “ When the going gets tough the tough get going”

I would go as far to say if we had a manager like Di Canio 5 years ago we would now be playing in front of 30k every week against United, Chelsea and the Gooners.

What you have to remember, and what I’ve said many times before is that your average Professional Footballer has Neanderthal at best, and almost sub human intelligence. Many of them have particular difficulty expressing themselves communicatively through the normal oral processes and have to indeed be told what to do.

Di Canio is not unlike the late great Brian Clough in my opinion when it comes to communicating, encouraging and galvanising his players into action…and it certainly works… Clough realised at an early stage in management that Footballers were performing for and being paid by the public who took the trouble to pay hard earned cash to go and watch them. He took an animal called Kenny Burns from Birmingham and made him into European Footballer of the year.

Much of Di Canios obscure comment should be contributed to the fact that English is not his native tongue and I’m sure much gets lost or misconstrued.

Personally I think the guy is a genius both when playing at Wham, and now in charge at Swindon. I don’t doubt that when (not if) he gets Swindon into the Championship he will be courted by a Seria A team for manager.

Any player joining Swindon certainly knows what to expect and more appropriate in this respect is the old adage “ When the going gets tough the tough get going”

I would go as far to say if we had a manager like Di Canio 5 years ago we would now be playing in front of 30k every week against United, Chelsea and the Gooners.

Thats certainly a different slant on Di Canio and his 'my way or the highway' approach to management. Its works up to a point with lower league players, many of whom are just happy not to be working for a living. As Johnson found out the higher up you get the less willing players are to put up with the type of behaviour we've seen from Di Canio and they lose respect and stop playing for you.

The comparison with Clough is hardly relevant.Clough was from a by-gone age and I very much doubt that if he were about as a young manager in todays game that he'd last long. He'd restricted to lower league clubs, none of the top clubs would touch such a one-dimensional and unsophisticated manager.

Indeed and like Johnson, Di Canio can't keep treating players like that. Eventually the players stop playing for you and you end up with a fractured dressing room.

The difference is that Di Canio does all the dirty laundry in public. At least Johnson kept his in the dressing room.

Completely agree. He's asking for trouble if he keeps slating his players in public.It's poor man management. Nothing wrong with a rollocking in the dressing room, but he's setting himself up for a fall. There's only so many players you can keep falling out with before you start to lose the respect of your players.

Thats certainly a different slant on Di Canio and his 'my way or the highway' approach to management. Its works up to a point with lower league players, many of whom are just happy not to be working for a living. As Johnson found out the higher up you get the less willing players are to put up with the type of behaviour we've seen from Di Canio and they lose respect and stop playing for you.

The comparison with Clough is hardly relevant.Clough was from a by-gone age and I very much doubt that if he were about as a young manager in todays game that he'd last long. He'd restricted to lower league clubs, none of the top clubs would touch such a one-dimensional and unsophisticated manager.

I think you can add that Clough demanded a fair amount of respect from the off - he was a unbelievably good player in his day and pretty successful manager right from the off. PDC has won one promotion so far. Remember when GJ was being talked about being the best English manager since Don Revie. It doesn't take much for it to change.

I think you can add that Clough demanded a fair amount of respect from the off - he was a unbelievably good player in his day and pretty successful manager right from the off. PDC has won one promotion so far. Remember when GJ was being talked about being the best English manager since Don Revie. It doesn't take much for it to change.

Yes he was but it was a different era. The whole game was different. One significant difference is the enormous amounts of money today's top players get given. In Clough's days the money was far better than the working mans wage but tiny in comparison with nowadays. No-one had heard of 'player power' back then. That said, Clough didn't last long at Leeds, the players revolted after a week.

I heard John Robertson on the radio not long after Cloughies death and he said that at Forest they never had tactical discussions or discussed the opposition strengths and weaknesses. He couldn't say what formation Clough preferred because they didn't have a formation. They were told 'you know what your job is, go out there and do it' and that was it.

I can't see that simplistic approach being successful in todays game.

I can't say I remember Johnson being compared to Revie. Whoever came up with that must have had a long liquid lunch.

Completely agree. He's asking for trouble if he keeps slating his players in public.It's poor man management. Nothing wrong with a rollocking in the dressing room, but he's setting himself up for a fall. There's only so many players you can keep falling out with before you start to lose the respect of your players.

Completely agree plus isn't that what happened with GJ? Remember how it all blew up when we were away to Plymouth? Think one day it will come back to bite Di 'Cameo' on the arse!

All lower league management tenures have to come to an end and it's usually because everything that once worked no longer does (obviously). Di Canio will be no different and what happened at Preston is a perfect example of why the big leagues probably won't come in for PDC any time soon.

We get a stupid amount of coverage when Di Canio does something 'out of the ordinary' yet we are but lowly 3rd tier club. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if Di Canio ever managed, let's say West Ham United, in the Premier League.

All lower league management tenures have to come to an end and it's usually because everything that once worked no longer does (obviously). Di Canio will be no different and what happened at Preston is a perfect example of why the big leagues probably won't come in for PDC any time soon.

We get a stupid amount of coverage when Di Canio does something 'out of the ordinary' yet we are but lowly 3rd tier club. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if Di Canio ever managed, let's say West Ham United, in the Premier League.

Never a truer word, just like GJ.

Agree with that, Swindle were on Sky Sports News every hour last night and this morning cos of his 'decisions' regarding the 'keeper! His rants are legendary even if he acts like a clown! Bad for the club to have bad or bizarre press coverage just beacause of one guy no matter who he is.

Di Canio's odious political views would land him in hot water pretty quickly once he moved from that backwater to a bigger club, specially one in London. Anyway, his rows with his own players are becoming more frequent and his behaviour more erratic. I reckon it could all unravel for him. I certainly hope so...

He's always seemed erratic but I don't think it's more frequent. He's been bombing out players since the start, Michael Timlin was first after just one game. The problem with the Foderingham incident is that it happened pitchside (and even then it's a year since the Leon Clarke scrap).

Di Canio has sky-high standards and he just will not tolerate anything else. You're either a 'warrior' or 'useless', rarely anything in-between.

Foderingham was dropped once last season for breaking rules (among others - a late night celebrating the birth of a team mates child). It doesn't matter if you've kept 19 clean sheets, scored 25 goals or sat on the bench for the entire season, he will dish out the same punishment.

The national press will always get their quotes.

He's always seemed erratic but I don't think it's more frequent. He's been bombing out players since the start, Michael Timlin was first after just one game. The problem with the Foderingham incident is that it happened pitchside (and even then it's a year since the Leon Clarke scrap).

Di Canio has sky-high standards and he just will not tolerate anything else. You're either a 'warrior' or 'useless', rarely anything in-between.

Foderingham was dropped once last season for breaking rules (among others - a late night celebrating the birth of a team mates child). It doesn't matter if you've kept 19 clean sheets, scored 25 goals or sat on the bench for the entire season, he will dish out the same punishment.

The national press will always get their quotes.

If he has "sky high" standards he's going to be right in the ravioli at your club, if he isn't already.

You can't go around publicly ridiculing or kicking your own players up the arse!

Pure entertainment. In an age when every player and manager are media coached beyond banality, PDC does and says what he believes in. What he has achieved at Swindle with a bunch of players that no one else wanted is nothing short of remarkable. Love the bloke, hate his politics.

Archived