IGNORED

Parent Advice

Glyn Rileys Mullet

One for parents old and new........

At what age should I consider taking my son to city? He is currently 3 years old and I was considering taking him to blackburn game. Opinions please.

Not a parent yet but I see there being 3 main negatives for children that young

1) The language used generally and in chants. He may pick up certain words inappropriate for a 3 year old

2) He may not understand the game and may get bored

3) Loud noises can scare small children

However, he may love it :banana:

Wait. They get bored easily and just mess about. Too hard when its all seater as he will be restricted to 1 yard square play area. Got a season ticket for mine at 4 but that was a bit early. Sat still and enjoyed the game at about 5yrs old after a season. Been going ever since and is now 7.

The crowds wont be a problem for him nor the noise. Its just trying to explain to a 3 yr old to sit down at the best of times is hard enough let alone when theres potentially 30 other people there who may get annoyed. Also you will strugle to enjoy the game.

At what age should I consider taking my son to city? He is currently 3 years old and I was considering taking him to blackburn game. Opinions please.

I think 3 is a bit young to be thinking of taking him to City.

You'd never get a pair of footy boots to fit him, he would struggle with the physical side of the game and would win nothing in the air !

Three maybe a bit young but its you call, he may get bored , keep asking to go to the toilet when we are about to take a pen .

I took my kids when there were five and then done all of the above. But they did love the atmosphere there is nothing quite like it when your sat in a packed B block of the Dolman stand and City score he will love it .

Take him ! I've took my boys from a young age and they love it I also used to have a season ticket for my daughter who was just 4 at the time when they way free for under 8s she used to take her Ds so if she got board she would play that with another young child who sat next to her. As for the language I wouldn't worry they hear worse at school these days !

Thanks for responses. Kind of sums up my fears so I will wait unit he is 5 I reckon. Would do my head in having to explain everything during the game. From a purely selfish point of view I like to get absorbed into the game. We drove past AG today and parked up to have a sneaky peak through the gates next to the shop. Looking at the dolman he asked me "but where does everyone put their feet?"

Loved that.

Same age as my first game.............no problem

take him, but carry a supply of snacks/chocolate and distractions (much as I hate 'em) but be prepared to be concentrating on him not the game, it will be a constant round of botheration unless he's a super calm child.

mine got fidgity and bored VERY quickly and they were a bit older.

I took my boy (now 12 and a St holder for about 4/5 years now) to his first rugby international at 4 and football at 5...a lot of the language goes over their heads for a while - he wondered for a long time why we called the referee a 'winker' and took a long time to understand what a sheepsh*gger was and why on earth anyone would be one...but only you know your littl'un - some will thrive on the atmosphere, some will hate the noise...if he can handle a circus he can handle the footy!

I took my first lad down at just 5 but to a pre-season friendly and he loved it - goes to the quid a kid games etc (because I am skint - he would go every week) His brother went to this seasons womens fa cup final at the gate, he was few weeks off 4 - he also loved it an wants to go again!

I short no real "rule" I would have suggested a pre-season game (less noise and if they want to go then its not to bad!) But if you don't mind missing a bit of the game just go for it!!

Oh and don't worry about the language - just tell them there will be words you will hear and not to repeat them - my lad asked me why the called that player ( el hadji diouf) a w**nk** - i told him thats a swear word and not to repeat it and secondly because he is!

Don't do it! Took my son when he was about 3 and he was very bored. Carried on taking him now and again over the years. He is 11 now and only last season when we got our season tickets he started to enjoy it. He just used to associate watching football with being bored and not being allowed to do anything other than being made to sit there. A few times we had to leave at half time.

That said, all kids are different so yours might be fine

First took my lad aged 6. Dolman A block. Can't remember who we played but he spent the entire game facing up the stand watching the lads singing!

We lost the game and played poorly but he was hooked on the atmosphere!!

He's 15 now and still loving it!

My 5 year old daughter wanted to see a football game. Standing on the East End she was 1. scared by the noise (City scored 5 that day) and 2. was bored towards the end due to attention span.

Having won tickets to watch P'boro' v City from the stand rather than the terrace, I took my son when he was seven. At the age of 12 he went with similar aged friends.

Now his son is seven and they go to Saturday games together.

Never to early..... but they do get bored them young'uns and they may not share your choice for some time...... but if they are the right stuff they will secretly be BCFC and turn out good'uns in the end.

Can only say it worked for me.... Nan Bristol/Gramps both Bristol City FC.......Father BCFC...... Me & Two of my Three Brothers BCFC..... My Sons BCFC and The Brothers that have kids.... BCFC

Mine was about 4 when I first took him. Sat in the family section of the Atyeo so language etc was not a problem. He lasted about 20 minutes at a time interspersed with playing Angry Birds on my iphone but lasted until the final whistle. So advice - take his PSP or equivalent!!!

I took my 9 year old boy to his first game which was the Palace game recently. We sat in the Eastend. In the car on the way home he was asking about one of the songs we were singing " Which player is shy" he said. "Shy?" i replied. "Yea, he used to be shy, but now he's alright." Ah yes! That song!

Depends where you're sitting.

If you're a season ticket holder and know the regular people around you, should be ok. But take along plenty to amuse him. And make sure he goes before kick off... ;)

If you're not sure who is going to be around you, you might get some Dick close to you who has had too much to drink and couldn't give a toss whose around him. Might be a bad experience for all concerned.

• Admin

I took my goddaughter when she was about 3 & 1/2 and she got a little scared by the noise whenever we scored but she soon learnt to cover her ears whenever it looked like we might score. :)

Others have said about taking snacks etc to keep their interest but we had a great behavioural tool stemming from a flight back from Spain the previous Summer. Whilst waiting to take off there was some mist coming from the air con and when she asked what it was we told her it was polar bear breath as the polar bears were looking for naughty boys and girls to eat as naughty girls and boys is their favourite food but being good makes them invisible to polar bears. Maybe a little cruel but worked a treat on so many occasions including that first game ;)

As for the language I wouldn't worry they hear worse at school these days !

I highly doubt a 3 year old would hear swearing at school!!

Can't we just get rid of this swearing at school is common myth.

If anything it doesn't happen till they are at least in year 5/6, (age 9-10)

Waited til my eldest was 4, took a couple of games until he got used to concentrating for the full game, but he loves it now. Just make sure you take plenty of sweets to keep him quiet!

Used to take him in Dolman B block but moved to the Atyeo this year cos the language was a bit too much there....mostly from my brothers mouth :punish:

I highly doubt a 3 year old would hear swearing at school!!

Can't we just get rid of this swearing at school is common myth.

If anything it doesn't happen till they are at least in year 5/6, (age 9-10)

Do you have children at school ? I'm guessing you don't by your comments as you clearly have no clue if you think school kids don't swear untill 9 - 10 years old and it's a myth......... And who said they would hear swearing at school while they are 3? I just said at school.

Do you have children at school ? I'm guessing you don't by your comments as you clearly have no clue if you think school kids don't swear untill 9 - 10 years old and it's a myth......... And who said they would hear swearing while they are 3? I said at school.

I coach a under 10's team, they don't swear.

If kids are swearing at anything under 8 then I would serious think about how good a parent you are, and seriously talk to the school who clearly are failing.

I coach a under 10's team, they don't swear.

If kids are swearing at anything under 8 then I would serious think about how good a parent you are, and seriously talk to the school who clearly are failing.

Did I say my kids swear? And I have also trained youth football from u6s up to u12's so know exactly what I'm talking about when I say you are again talking rubbish if you think none of your players swear

Did I say my kids swear? And I have also trained youth football from u6s up to u12's so know exactly what I'm talking about when I say you are again talking rubbish if you think none of your players swear

I didn't say they do, I am just saying if a kid under 8 is swearing you have to blame the parents and the school.

I'm not saying none of my players swear, but I haven't heard them swear and if they were too they would most likely do it at football training IMO.

Kid's under 8 will not hear many if any swear words at school, they would start creeping in at 9,10 but not as regular as many people expect.

Archived