IGNORED

What Is Gas Fan Culture?

Cowshed

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Lead_Belly

Singer of the original 'Goodnight Irene' who was a morphine addict and in prison for a number of offences including 'firearms offences'... and this is the sags theme tune? Says it all really....

The blue few should be made to read that, so they know where their 'anthem' came from.

Then they'll be even more depressed!

Thought the gulf in culture should be examined in more detail. Culture can be subjective, so here I have used numerous criteria.

Stands/Ends. Eastend - Dolman A/B V Tote - Blackthorn terrace. Dolman is no longer in its angry prime, but no contest here. One nil to the reds.

Fanzines. Bountyhunter v Gashead. Only ever saw one gas fanzine and it was a munter v the Bunter. Two nil.

Anthems. Drink up thy cider, I am a cider drinker, One for the Bristol City v Goodnight Irene. Songs about cider and celebration v suicide. Three nil.

Pubs. Three Lions v Essex ... And its Four nil.

Fashion. City had Casuals, Jaspers up Park street v the Tote army surplus shops. Five nil to BS3.

Fans events. City's flag day v dressing up as a backing group for the Village people. Six nil.

Street art. City's Ernie, sticker bombing and murals v Prowed to be a ... Its seven.

Ashton Gate v Eastville ... Eight.

Ashton Gate v Twerton .. Nine.

Ashton Gate v the Minimal ... TEN NIL

Dullness appears to be part of the Gases DNA. When it comes down to culture there is only team in Bristol for the street wise kid

no arguing there

******* spot on

ONE TEAM IN BRISTOL

Thought the gulf in culture should be examined in more detail. Culture can be subjective, so here I have used numerous criteria.

Stands/Ends. Eastend - Dolman A/B V Tote - Blackthorn terrace. Dolman is no longer in its angry prime, but no contest here. One nil to the reds.

Fanzines. Bountyhunter v Gashead. Only ever saw one gas fanzine and it was a munter v the Bunter. Two nil.

Anthems. Drink up thy cider, I am a cider drinker, One for the Bristol City v Goodnight Irene. Songs about cider and celebration v suicide. Three nil.

Pubs. Three Lions v Essex ... And its Four nil.

Fashion. City had Casuals, Jaspers up Park street v the Tote army surplus shops. Five nil to BS3.

Fans events. City's flag day v dressing up as a backing group for the Village people. Six nil.

Street art. City's Ernie, sticker bombing and murals v Prowed to be a ... Its seven.

Ashton Gate v Eastville ... Eight.

Ashton Gate v Twerton .. Nine.

Ashton Gate v the Minimal ... TEN NIL

Dullness appears to be part of the Gases DNA. When it comes down to culture there is only team in Bristol for the street wise kid

The Essex arms in the wood is a cracking boozer, and has nowt to do with the gas apart from their shop being just down the road

please get your facts right....end of rant !

I dont mind Sags or Baardiff its all just banter, I love have people take it seriously, I don't want to fight them or anything Jeez, Ill take the shit and give some back with no hard feelings, I hate them, but in controlled football sense, not personally, I don't know them personally.

Spot on Ted. Banter is part of football tradition and as such should be cherished. Posters here who have a problem with that should switch to something like croquet or some sh!t like that where they all applaud each other!

My best mate's family are all Gas and I have absolutely no problem with them. In fact, I once copped off with his sister.

Now I know why they call them the 'dirty Gas' :devil:

Spot on Ted. Banter is part of football tradition and as such should be cherished. Posters here who have a problem with that should switch to something like croquet

Correct.

I know quite a number of gasheads and they are all decent blokes and (mostly) very aware of how shite they currently are. So much so in fact that I rarely dish out any stick because they simply accept it without any response and that spoils the fun. One of them tried to wind me up after City had lost at Barnsley but when I asked him how a 0-3 home defeat felt he just laughed and said 'fair enough' and asked me if he could borrow my chainsaw if I remember rightly.

Correct.

I know quite a number of gasheads and they are all decent blokes and (mostly) very aware of how shite they currently are. So much so in fact that I rarely dish out any stick because they simply accept it without any response and that spoils the fun. One of them tried to wind me up after City had lost at Barnsley but when I asked him how a 0-3 home defeat felt he just laughed and said 'fair enough' and asked me if he could borrow my chainsaw if I remember rightly.

wanted to borrow your chainsaw? clearly supporting the gas was too much for him then

Because Broghammer scored the goal on Saturday.

As a non Bristolian, a serious question - was the Gas support historically drawn from the less affluent areas of the city?

More a case of north v south bristol. But the people with inteligence in north bristol supported city. Youd do well to spot a gas shirt in south bristol where as anywhere in the north of the city the shirt spotting is usually even if not a city win.

Bit sad but whenever i go out of work at lunch with a sag we play city rovers in the shirt stakes. Either down bradley stoke shopping bit or the mall and its either a score draw or narrow win for us. Play that south of the river and you will go all year without the gas scoring

As a non Bristolian, a serious question - was the Gas support historically drawn from the less affluent areas of the city?

There is probably little difference in demographics. I would err on the side that Citys support was drawn more from less affluent areas of Bristol due to its geography. Due to this some Gas support has reached the opinion the "South's" support is chav like, while forgetting that Gas have always embraced the shabby elements of football and street culture.

There is probably little difference in demographics. I would err on the side that Citys support was drawn more from less affluent areas of Bristol due to its geography. Due to this some Gas support has reached the opinion the "South's" support is chav like, while forgetting that Gas have always embraced the shabby elements of football and street culture.

Thanks for the responses to my question - the above has explained that the difference in appearance is nothing to do with the financial demographic of the support.

More a case of north v south bristol. But the people with inteligence in north bristol supported city. Youd do well to spot a gas shirt in south bristol where as anywhere in the north of the city the shirt spotting is usually even if not a city win.

Bit sad but whenever i go out of work at lunch with a sag we play city rovers in the shirt stakes. Either down bradley stoke shopping bit or the mall and its either a score draw or narrow win for us. Play that south of the river and you will go all year without the gas scoring

Best time and place to go sag shirt spotting is Kingswood shopping centre, between 3pm and 5pm on any given Saturday that the blue few have a home game.

You'll spot dozens of 'em

Archived