IGNORED

Hargreaves Lansdown

brad blit

An interesting read this morning about our Owners company, and it says he's left now.........

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/4523008/PETER-Hargreaves-of-Hargreaves-Lansdown-has-savaged-ministers-over-the-economy.html

A) it just says Lansdown is 'stepping down' which I presume to mean he's taking a backseat with regards operation- early retirement if you will

B) Peter Hargreaves is a touch right wing isn't he?! I'm a public sector worker and I work 5 days a week and have a shit old car. That said, I am perusing OTIB on my phone whilst at work so maybe he's got a point? Ok then, back to trying to sort out this awful site investigation report submitted by an unregulated private consultant who can't read the guidance documents he purports to have worked to....

A) it just says Lansdown is 'stepping down' which I presume to mean he's taking a backseat with regards operation- early retirement if you will

B) Peter Hargreaves is a touch right wing isn't he?! I'm a public sector worker and I work 5 days a week and have a shit old car. That said, I am perusing OTIB on my phone whilst at work so maybe he's got a point? Ok then, back to trying to sort out this awful site investigation report submitted by an unregulated private consultant who can't read the guidance documents he purports to have worked to....

have a read of this:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2197865/Revealed--1-000-pay-premium-public-sector-staff-costs-taxpayers-6-3-BILLION-year.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I work for myself and personally I can only dream of working a 5 day week.

I am not saying you personally do not work hard but people who are self employed or run a company, on average, work far harder than a public sector worker; its beyond dispute. Public sector workers do a valuable job, many choose to be there many don't but there is overmanning on a monumental scale. Any business would go bust in short fashion if they had the 'luxury' of those employment levels. I believe the inexorable rise really took off in 1997. Just look at how much money they threw at the health service.. most of it went on meaningless extra jobs with no appreciable increase in overall service levels.

When Wellington won the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 he was under a Foreign & Commonwealth Office staff of less than 200. They seemed to cope quite well. Today, that same ministry has nearly 7000 albeit from a peak in 2010 of more than 8000. I think that tells us all we need to know and why, unless we ever get back to public employee levels that are both meaningful and sustainable we will, for ever, have increasingly burdensome taxes combined with failing services. The problem is the NHS and we all want our cake and eat it with a free, at deliverance, service. We all know that is a ticking time bomb. So we have a choice; forever have over 50% of the work force, and rising under the last govt, in the public sector with an ever increasing tax burden to pay for it or some sort of draw back from that with lower taxes to increase and encourage the private sector.

Frankly it is a battle that we will probably never win as a nation, certainly not in our life time. Too many people, too many vested interests are ingrained and endemic for the tough decisions or the fair decisions to be made even over time that would cushion those adversely affected. Doing nothing, however, is probably unsustainable.

I worked in the private sector and public sector and didn't find any difference between the 2 as regard to work-rate other than in my public sector job we seemed a far happier bunch and were treated by management with far greater respect, too much junior management in my private sector job (Capita, a vile company) all trying to earn brownie points and to busy brown nosing senior management, give me a public sector job any day,far more job satisfaction and respect shown between workers/employers

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

I am not saying you personally do not work hard but people who are self employed or run a company, on average, work far harder than a public sector worker; its beyond dispute. Public sector workers do a valuable job, many choose to be there many don't but there is overmanning on a monumental scale. Any business would go bust in short fashion if they had the 'luxury' of those employment levels. I believe the inexorable rise really took off in 1997. Just look at how much money they threw at the health service.. most of it went on meaningless extra jobs with no appreciable increase in overall service levels.

When Wellington won the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 he was under a Foreign & Commonwealth Office staff of less than 200. They seemed to cope quite well. Today, that same ministry has nearly 7000 albeit from a peak in 2010 of more than 8000. I think that tells us all we need to know and why, unless we ever get back to public employee levels that are both meaningful and sustainable we will, for ever, have increasingly burdensome taxes combined with failing services. The problem is the NHS and we all want our cake and eat it with a free, at deliverance, service. We all know that is a ticking time bomb. So we have a choice; forever have over 50% of the work force, and rising under the last govt, in the public sector with an ever increasing tax burden to pay for it or some sort of draw back from that with lower taxes to increase and encourage the private sector.

Frankly it is a battle that we will probably never win as a nation, certainly not in our life time. Too many people, too many vested interests are ingrained and endemic for the tough decisions or the fair decisions to be made even over time that would cushion those adversely affected. Doing nothing, however, is probably unsustainable.

Maybe its a battle many of us don't want to win? personally i'm happy to pay my taxes to keep the NHS afloat and am happy with the tax me and my wife pay, as regards the hours you work i can promise you my wife who has been a nurse for 25 years works as hard as anyone who is self-employed or is in the private sector she leaves for work at 7.30 in the morning and sometimes does not get home till 7.30 at night with hours and hours of unpaid overtime she also don't put in for her travel expenses she is entitled to hence doing her bit as we are 'all in this together' only some are in it more than others, add to this the 3 year pay freeze this callous government has given her as well, she is desperate to see the state the NHS has become since the tories got into power so please don't tell me that public service workers have it easy, anyway back to work now i'm surprised as you are so busy being self-employed you find so much time to spend on this forum!

Hargreaves sit slightly to the right of Attila the Hun, some of his quotes are laughable and of course the press laps it up.

would you rather have 17 people in the operating theater or 7, i know which I prefer.

The real argument should be about the consultants and management execs that have infiltrated our society and public sector - these are the 'non'workers' who suck up the vast amounts of wages (our dear Council exec for one)

and deliver very little - they always get rewarded even for apparent failure, and move from one sector to another in a way that shows it's little more than a glorified magic roundabout for the bullshitters.

the management roles should be given to people who have worked through their respective sectors - they can apply their knowledge of how things work and apply efficiences and practical savings in a way that would work, not just corporate blue print strategies that bear no relation to working practise. Take Jarvis as a company - they were a building company who now run schools and railways and everything else under the bloomin' sun, and do a really shit job!

management consultants are the parasites

Another £16.7 million dividend payout for Lansdown to top up what he already has. When is he going to do a Jack Walker and put some real money into our club that could push us into the Premier League.Come on Stevie boy put your hands in your pockets and stump up some real cash.

3 words, financial, fair and play.

Maybe its a battle many of us don't want to win? personally i'm happy to pay my taxes to keep the NHS afloat and am happy with the tax me and my wife pay, as regards the hours you work i can promise you my wife who has been a nurse for 25 years works as hard as anyone who is self-employed or is in the private sector she leaves for work at 7.30 in the morning and sometimes does not get home till 7.30 at night with hours and hours of unpaid overtime she also don't put in for her travel expenses she is entitled to hence doing her bit as we are 'all in this together' only some are in it more than others, add to this the 3 year pay freeze this callous government has given her as well, she is desperate to see the state the NHS has become since the tories got into power so please don't tell me that public service workers have it easy, anyway back to work now i'm surprised as you are so busy being self-employed you find so much time to spend on this forum!

Read my thread again.. I did not say public sector workers have it easy.

How I manage my time and how much of it is spent on a forum is my business so lets not get off the point.

And, how is it callous for a govt to enforce a pay freeze when there is no more money in the pot because the last charlies spent it all and some? Excuse me but that is precisely my point - people in the public sector often seem to think there is a bottomless pit and you can forgive a lot of them for thinking that because when Labour come along they don't half spend like there is. Sadly someone has to clear up the mess and as fewer and fewer people perhaps appreciate that then the more likely we are to have more left wing governments.. hooray... lets spend like there is no tomorrow for the rest of our days and we can all feel happy and snug. If only hey?

I am a big fan of the NHS, but having spent much of the last 10 months either in hospital or outpatients I have been amazed at both the excellence and commitment of some of the staff but also by the systemic inefficiencies. Seeing some nursing staff working their socks off while others just wander aimlessly around is maddening - and don't get me started on the pharmacy!!!

My impression is that the whole thing, even in a single hospital is too much silo managed and that NHS managers couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery; they wouldn't last 5 minutes in the private sector.

Another £16.7 million dividend payout for Lansdown to top up what he already has. When is he going to do a Jack Walker and put some real money into our club that could push us into the Premier League.Come on Stevie boy put your hands in your pockets and stump up some real cash.

3 words, financial, fair and play.

6 words: bailing us out, season after season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2197865/Revealed--1-000-pay-premium-public-sector-staff-costs-taxpayers-6-3-BILLION-year.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I am under no doubt that you work all hours god sends to make your business as profitable as possible- I know I would. But forgive me for not feeling too sympathetic if you've made a lifestyle choice to move to Cuba and start your own business! I have the utmost respect for people who run their own businesses and especially those who make a success of them, but I won't be made to feel lazy because you've chosen one path for your employment and I've chosen another. I actually have ambitions to one day work for myself and I suspect I'm a decade or two behind you so perhaps we shall revisit this in 10-15 years!

Now what I will say is that there all kinds of lazy, sketchy individuals in the public sector who believe that because their feet are under the table they are somehow owed a living by their government or local government. I see them all the time and they are the reason that I would like to leave local government at the earliest opportunity. The majority though are talented, hard working individuals. Moat of my friends work in the private sector and constantly complain about the lazy morons they encounter, though my friends are for the most part talented hard working individuals. The only difference is that taxes pay my wage and bought services pay theirs. The current government wants to privatise much of the public sector and so who's fault will it be then that you have to work harder than some others? I also have a sister who is a nurse and I certainly won't have anyone imply that she doesn't work hard. She spends 12 hour shifts looking after terminally ill children so I don't suppose any of us would complain about their work after doing that for a week or two

I don't blame people for complaining about the inefficiency of te public sector- it's inefficient and bloated. However, that's the fault of managers, Whitehall civil servants and MPs who want the moon on a stick, not the majority of Public sector workers who work every bit as hard as the majority of private sector workers

Now your Daily Mail article is very interesting as it's a debate that's been had before. when you break down what they're arguing, it's that people like cleaners and bin men get paid more in the public sector than the private sector and while I agree that public sector pay needs to follow the same Market forces as private, I'm not keen on arguing that people on low wages should get even lower wage. National bargaining is a definite advantage, though it should also be pointed out that no one in local government has had even 0.1% of a pay rise in the last 3 years despite inflation being 3%+. obviously there are those who've had it worse in the private sector but last time I checked, people were losing their jobs due to a banking crisis rather than public sector waste

So in summary, I agree with you about public sector profligacy and waste, strongly disagree that every private sector employee works harder than me and everyone else in the public sector. There are undoubtedly good and bad in both

Ps before anyone says anything I've typed this on my lunchbreak

management consultants are the parasites

I'll get my coat!

Actually, a lot of 'external consultancy' in the public sector is essential - the NHS doesn't, for example, employ too many architects to design new hospitals - they count as external consultancy - so some skills simply have to be bought in.

But some of it is total horlicks, I agree

Yeah if only we'd been more frugal, league two about now at best.

Mug

Oh and we still lost money in seasons we sold Akinbyi, Lita and Cotterall.

Give us your master plan oh wise one

Don't need to give you a master plan, he has alluded to his many mistakes, many times, How much do you reckon he has paid in terms of poor managerial appointments and the signings that go with them? How much has he wasted buying AV, and not doing his homework properly. Maybe now he has taken a back seat, the monatary control may be a little better.

yes as you rightly say we may be in Div 1/2, but not losing the amount we have done, and that is squarely down to poor decision making. Football is an expensive game. Ensure you have the proper guy ion charge of the team in place, and it may get a little less expensive.

Sorry but this debt has come when lansdown has been running things. We were running a pretty tight ship beforehand. Personally all this debt, for 1 promotion, some pretty average players, and lets be honest garbage football, including the promotion season... Well, lets just say I am glad he is able to flitter his money away on it. if we had got promotion in our first season up, we may not be having this conversation. What we have done is stagnate, and go backwards, while employing poor managers, chosen by lansdown, who has then backed those poor manger with poor signings.

I am sure if he Ran his original business like that, Hargreaves would have booted him out if he got the chance. Just as well he is good with finances in the workld away from football.

The last few seasons he has banged on about the club standing on its own two feet.... Well that is not going to happen after lansdown threw loads of money at it, he chose to ladel the club with debt to him. Maybe he should have been concentrating on letting the club run on its own two feet when the debt was managable.

i'm sorry you cannot be so flighty it seems lansdown has gone with one football model, got half way through accomplishing it, then backtracked as he realised he was pushing his own hard earned money up useless managers arses. Too late lansdown, you policy has ensure the horse has well and truely Bolted. And now you hopes and drerams rest on AV, which he also buggered up by not fencing off when he bought it.

So many poor poor decisions, but he is still the messiah!

I worked in the private sector and public sector and didn't find any difference between the 2 as regard to work-rate other than in my public sector job we seemed a far happier bunch and were treated by management with far greater respect, too much junior management in my private sector job (Capita, a vile company) all trying to earn brownie points and to busy brown nosing senior management, give me a public sector job any day,far more job satisfaction and respect shown between workers/employers

I was chatting to someone a few weeks ago who said exactly the same, he had just handed his notice in because of it.

Don't need to give you a master plan, he has alluded to his many mistakes, many times, How much do you reckon he has paid in terms of poor managerial appointments and the signings that go with them? How much has he wasted buying AV, and not doing his homework properly. Maybe now he has taken a back seat, the monatary control may be a little better.

Money buying Ashton Vale has nothing to do with City. All clubs make mistakes in personel. The mistakes admitted from Johnsons signings in the Championship were over a couple of years of his whole tenure, backing a manager who had taken the club to within a sniff of promotion to the premier league. At THAT stage there was no need to distrust what Johnson was bringing in, as untill that point it had worked

yes as you rightly say we may be in Div 1/2, but not losing the amount we have done, and that is squarely down to poor decision making. Football is an expensive game. Ensure you have the proper guy ion charge of the team in place, and it may get a little less expensive.

How do you know what the losses would be if we were at that level? They were still a million a year in league 1, they would be higher in league 2 with smaller gates and less sponsorship revenue.

Sorry but this debt has come when lansdown has been running things. We were running a pretty tight ship beforehand. Personally all this debt, for 1 promotion, some pretty average players, and lets be honest garbage football, including the promotion season... Well, lets just say I am glad he is able to flitter his money away on it. if we had got promotion in our first season up, we may not be having this conversation. What we have done is stagnate, and go backwards, while employing poor managers, chosen by lansdown, who has then backed those poor manger with poor signings.

We were in debt when SL came in. Have you forgoten the fall out of ITV digital, the Pulis years? When we were frugal the fans moaned (including me) that we weren't ambitious enough. That plan wasn't working, as money was coming into clubs at lower levels. Remember how the likes of Fulham, Reading, Cardiff and Wigan passed us? Or does that not suit your agenda? Football changed. Name a poor signing that you called at the time, without using the benefit of hindsight now.

I am sure if he Ran his original business like that, Hargreaves would have booted him out if he got the chance. Just as well he is good with finances in the workld away from football.

Different type of business

The last few seasons he has banged on about the club standing on its own two feet.... Well that is not going to happen after lansdown threw loads of money at it, he chose to ladel the club with debt to him. Maybe he should have been concentrating on letting the club run on its own two feet when the debt was managable.

You're repeating yourself. SL is trying to get the club to stand on its own two feet, by getting a facility that is actually financialy viable.

i'm sorry you cannot be so flighty it seems lansdown has gone with one football model, got half way through accomplishing it, then backtracked as he realised he was pushing his own hard earned money up useless managers arses. Too late lansdown, you policy has ensure the horse has well and truely Bolted. And now you hopes and drerams rest on AV, which he also buggered up by not fencing off when he bought it.

Fencing off AV wouldn't of made a blind bit of difference to this situation. You can judge everything with hindsight as much as you want, and clearly you'd be happy in league two with Morcombe and Fleetwood. Maybe you'd like to point out all the clubs at that level not losing money...........

Done more for the club in my 20ish years supporting City than anyone else. In 98 this club was ******. It took a number of years to steady the ship. I'm fairly sure if we weren't spending any money, dwelling in League Two you'd be moaning. The side that did get promotion wasn't expensive, indeed under Wilson we never spent alot. Take your revisionary history, get a clue and stop moaning.

Correction. Bailing out his own mistakes, season after season

I assume you both invest a large % of your wages into the club as well every season without getting a return, yes?

Idiots.

Quite unbelievable!

You would prefer that he didn't invest in City then??!

Whilst you are right in saying that they have been his decisions (mainly) - how you can critise the man for investing 10's of millions into our football club..?!?!

That has to be one of the most fcuked up posts i've ever read on here!!

Read my thread again.. I did not say public sector workers have it easy.

How I manage my time and how much of it is spent on a forum is my business so lets not get off the point.

And, how is it callous for a govt to enforce a pay freeze when there is no more money in the pot because the last charlies spent it all and some? Excuse me but that is precisely my point - people in the public sector often seem to think there is a bottomless pit and you can forgive a lot of them for thinking that because when Labour come along they don't half spend like there is. Sadly someone has to clear up the mess and as fewer and fewer people perhaps appreciate that then the more likely we are to have more left wing governments.. hooray... lets spend like there is no tomorrow for the rest of our days and we can all feel happy and snug. If only hey?

Who cleared up the Tory mess in 97, who will have to do it again in a couple years time.

They have compounded this total mess we are in.

There running of our economy is like something out of monty python.

The Torys are in it for themselves and no one else, it's there ideology to put the poorer down further and line there rich friends with money and power.

I am under no doubt that you work all hours god sends to make your business as profitable as possible- I know I would. But forgive me for not feeling too sympathetic if you've made a lifestyle choice to move to Cuba and start your own business! I have the utmost respect for people who run their own businesses and especially those who make a success of them, but I won't be made to feel lazy because you've chosen one path for your employment and I've chosen another. I actually have ambitions to one day work for myself and I suspect I'm a decade or two behind you so perhaps we shall revisit this in 10-15 years!

Now what I will say is that there all kinds of lazy, sketchy individuals in the public sector who believe that because their feet are under the table they are somehow owed a living by their government or local government. I see them all the time and they are the reason that I would like to leave local government at the earliest opportunity. The majority though are talented, hard working individuals. Moat of my friends work in the private sector and constantly complain about the lazy morons they encounter, though my friends are for the most part talented hard working individuals. The only difference is that taxes pay my wage and bought services pay theirs. The current government wants to privatise much of the public sector and so who's fault will it be then that you have to work harder than some others? I also have a sister who is a nurse and I certainly won't have anyone imply that she doesn't work hard. She spends 12 hour shifts looking after terminally ill children so I don't suppose any of us would complain about their work after doing that for a week or two

I don't blame people for complaining about the inefficiency of te public sector- it's inefficient and bloated. However, that's the fault of managers, Whitehall civil servants and MPs who want the moon on a stick, not the majority of Public sector workers who work every bit as hard as the majority of private sector workers

Now your Daily Mail article is very interesting as it's a debate that's been had before. when you break down what they're arguing, it's that people like cleaners and bin men get paid more in the public sector than the private sector and while I agree that public sector pay needs to follow the same Market forces as private, I'm not keen on arguing that people on low wages should get even lower wage. National bargaining is a definite advantage, though it should also be pointed out that no one in local government has had even 0.1% of a pay rise in the last 3 years despite inflation being 3%+. obviously there are those who've had it worse in the private sector but last time I checked, people were losing their jobs due to a banking crisis rather than public sector waste

So in summary, I agree with you about public sector profligacy and waste, strongly disagree that every private sector employee works harder than me and everyone else in the public sector. There are undoubtedly good and bad in both

Ps before anyone says anything I've typed this on my lunchbreak

I did not say EVERY public sector worker is less hard working than private. I did not even intimate that. Also, not asking for any sympathy on my 'lifestyle' choice either !! I wish they sold marmite here. :(

Who cleared up the Tory mess in 97, who will have to do it again in a couple years time.

They have compounded this total mess we are in.

There running of our economy is like something out of monty python.

The Torys are in it for themselves and no one else, it's there ideology to put the poorer down further and line there rich friends with money and power.

Tory, Labour, Lib Dem... There is no difference anymore.

Long gone are the days of party policies and ethics. Now they are all just as bad as each other, with their (see what I did there..?!) back handers, sleaze and general ineptitude with regards the well being of the country as a whole.

Archived