IGNORED

Glos Or Somerset?

sglosbcfc

Hanham High produced a few sporting 'stars', I wasn't one of them, ha. Dean Radford who played for Southampton and later Bath City etc was a few years above me as was ex City star Matt Bryant. His brother Simon Bryant skippered the Gas but was years younger than me. Matt Hayfield was in my year and played for Gas and Yeovil. The Cleverley brothers all played a decent standard, Ben was on City's books and Dan was captain of Paulton last time I looked. The biggest star of all Steve Merchant used all his comic genius to try and wangle his way out of all our PE lessons, :laugh:.

Indeed. I played football with Matt's twin brothers who were very good as well. Simon was real class though. Shame he didn't have the passion.

Played against Ben Cleverley for my club team and he ran me ragged a few times!

'Stars' produced under the watchful eye of Mr Woodman!!

They don't celebrate having Marcus Tres as an ex pupil? I find that bizarre. I suppose it is obvious they are going to make the most of having a pretty boy pin up like Hollowhead on the wall.

Either I'm having a 'whoosh' moment or you badly need to see an optician SGlos! :bored:

I haven't seen anything up there about Trescothick YET!

Indeed. I played football with Matt's twin brothers who were very good as well. Simon was real class though. Shame he didn't have the passion.

Played against Ben Cleverley for my club team and he ran me ragged a few times!

'Stars' produced under the watchful eye of Mr Woodman!!

Mr Poole really, Woodman was and is a legend but his interest was rugby and cross country, Poole was the man for cricket and football. Poole was a more than useful bowler for Hanham and Bishopston down the years.

Supported Glos as long as City (mid 60s) - shame the team is a pale shadow of the one day kings of 1999-2004 with annual (sometimes twice yearly) cup final visits to Lords in that period. Off the top of my head they won 6 out of 7 of the finals in that period, whereas Somerset always seem to bottle their regular T/20 finals days. Nothing against Somerset though. Coming from the Chipping Sodbury area, Glos were the team to support and, as with City, these things are often decided by where your Dad takes you for your first game. Hope they get the ground developed soon as they need to get the England ODIs back.

Mr Poole really, Woodman was and is a legend but his interest was rugby and cross country, Poole was the man for cricket and football. Poole was a more than useful bowler for Hanham and Bishopston down the years.

Agreed, was just joking about Woodman.

Poole was a legend. Used to talk to him about cricket all the time. He taught me how to bowl cutters! Saw him a few years ago playing for Hanham. Still decent.

City & Somerset.

I've never actually lived in Bristol, though I work there.

On the border thing, as far as I can work out, Ashton Gate would have been in Somerset until 1832, when the area became part of Bristol. Has ANY of Bristol ever actually been in Gloucestershire? Don't really understand why they play there (except for cynical financial reasons) - shouldn't they play in a city in their own county?

I know that Westbury-onTrym used to be part of Gloucestershire, so that would presumably also have included a large swaith of North Bristol, so the County Ground in Ashley Down would not be that far away. WG Grace had big connections with Downend - First Class cricket in this country has always been based on traditional (shire) counties (ie Warwickshire are based in Birmingham) but the borders of where they play have always been a bit random, Glamorgan always used to play all over Wales including Colwyn Bay which is on the north coast.

I think the bristol boundary is Realy mid leading and a waste of resources

I hated the Avon set up, but having n.somerset , BANES, south Gloucestershire and the county of bristol covering what really in my eyes is bristol is just jobs for the boys, It certainly has cocked up the public transport. I think we need a "greater bristol council" to pull it all back together . I can't get my head around places like kingswood , long Ashton , and parts of Whitchurch not being in bristol!

City and Gloucestershire, it's been a bad few years for the shire, but last season there were some encouraging signs, particularly the T20 massacre in Taubton.

Youmust know how the sags feel then? basing your whole season on your result against bigger and better neighbours! :photo:

Ashes aside, my interest level in cricket is somewhere between the shipping forecast and a debate between 2 people as to the best way to get past the temporary traffic lights (ala Eddie from 'Early doors')

Brilliant , that was an hilarious show and I know very few people who used to watch it.

Back to Cricket , Glos for me. My Dad , who gave me my love of City , was not into cricket so I used to go to Nevil Road with my Mum's brothers (all gas I'm afraid) Luckily their attempts at brainwashing me into supporting the gas failed , but it will always be Glos as far as Cricket is concerened. The Nat West Final in 1999 remains one of my best days out at a sporting event.

City, then Bristol Rugby a long way behind and Glos just behind the Rugby. It is sad to see how far Super Glos have fallen though. I remember genuine world class stars like Jack Russell and Courtney Walsh. Now the only real cricket stars in the region are playing at Taunton.

Same here... Used to go and watch all 3 regularly...But now because of work commitments, out of the UK most of the time, I have to follow all 3 through the media, forums or from friends.

Loved watching Glos when Jonty Rhodes was their as well as Ian Harvey. Good days...

If you're retired and you love Cricket, you can spend pretty much everyday during the summer watching Glos play.

The membership is so cheap... as well as giving free entrance to Worcester and all GCCC away games in the Championship.

Check these season ticket prices out... http://www.gloscricket.co.uk/membership/cricket

Even better...join the Gym their and you get free membership to the Club and all it's entitlements. http://www.bs7gym.co.uk/tariff.asp

When i was self employed, I used to take my laptop and paperwork to games and work whilst watching the game going on in the background.

I remember a crew of regular oldies...the colour of Oak, who would turn up for County games, go to the gym in the morning. then sit together sunbathing ( when it was not raining :laugh: ), watch the game together, whilst consuming large amounts of delicious home made cakes and savouries and copious amounts of cider and wine from their cool bags...then stagger back and catch their free bus home...and do the same the following day :laugh:

I'd see the same group at away games too...they had a great life.

City then Glos (quite away behind). I don't hate Somerset, but I do have a chuckle when they keep not winning stuff only because I think they think they are Gods gift. Just the impression I get.

To be fair, we are gods gift :bored:

Seriously though, although it's heartbreaking to lose finals, the fact we have been by far the most consistent team in ALL forms of cricket for the last 5 years has been brilliant.

There's nothing worse than getting to early July and your season's over, Our run in all competitions has been incredible........but sadly always doomed to come up short.

What might surprise some people who see the West Country as a sporting backwater is this,

Somerset are one of the best supported cricket teams in the country. In fact I think in al formats it's only Surrey who get more fans and in the championship Somerset come out on top.

When you think of the size of Taunton compared to the big test hosting cities, it's remarkable fact.

Archived