IGNORED

Mcinnes - A Majority View (Currently)

The Red Planet

Agreed, think there's more to Del than we give him credit for, he's instilled a never say die attitude in the team,

Me thinks he's a fighter

Interesting comment - tbh I expected Del to bring a more 'physically robust' element to our team than has actually transpired. Might be a cliche, but I thought the 'tough scot' would demand that players put their bodies on the line a bit more, be nasty when it matters, and make us a more physically intimidating side to face. There are many comments on the forum at the moment, with which I agree, that our players (midfield in particular) seem retiscent to break up opposition attacking moves, or go in hard in 50/50's. The same is true of our back four - didnt see anyone busting a gut to out-muscle henderson a couple of weeks back.

We persist in the belief that we can outplay the oppposition with our flowing, Barcelona-esque, technical skills - this is fanciful thinking, we cannot! If Del is determined not to add this physical element to our side, I fear he will go the same way as his predecessors - which would be sad, because he did do great things with St J and clearly has lots of positive attributes.

Got to say you lot must be mad to even think about sacking McInnes the same way any of our fans who think McGhee should be sacked. We both have good Managers but I have to be honest and say I am very surprised at the positions both clubs find theirselves in. You are light years ahead of us playing wise and spending wise but IMO you have in the last couple of years made some really good signings and have a good squad. At least you are scoring lots of goals. We are struggling to do that. I believe if both teams stick with their respective Managers then both will turn things around. I remember when lots of your fans on here were suggesting Dave Jones but now look how his team are doing.

I wonder how many of the teams who sack their Managers and appoint new ones are actually going to improve? Sometimes its better to stick with what you have and hope they can turn t5he fortunes around.

I really enjoy the people who jump on people for jumping the gun, by er jumping the gun. McInnes has done nothing in his managerial career to indicate how good he's going to be.

Let's look at his record with St Johnstone. He took over from success with Owen Coyle and carried it on. Now he's gone the club has hit new heights under Steve Lomas. So how much of that success was down to him? It's very reminiscent of the Swansea or West Brom scenarios. The club being successful isn't totally down to the manager.

We picked a totally unproven manager at this level or frankly any level.

So he took over a hugely under performing (and crap) team and got us to be slightly better, we got up to and eventually out of the relegation dogfight but look at who went down. Is anyone suggesting that beating off a team that's bankrupt, a team that let an agent dictate their transfer policy and a team that's being systematically destroyed by it's ownership is a mark of success? I really hope not. Maybe it's the people who don't follow any football except City who think he did anything more than a competent job last season.

So to this season and I think everyone is aware we needed a drastic overhaul of our squad? You can't get a hit with every signing I'm aware but to get weaker in central midfield and defense is poor. We've spent over £2 million to stand still or maybe even go a little backwards. We look to be treading water competing with the likes of Millwall and Barnsley who spend much less budget wise than us. Is that a sign of McInnes success? But look at the teams below us this time.

Ipswich will get better, they really will, Wednesday are a bigger club than us and Dave Jones will either get better or he'll be gone. Peterborough are a mess but they still have some talent there.

We don't have the luxury of three imploding teams this season. We need another year or transfer window to complete the 11-15 player revamp that we needed from the mess of Millen/Johnson. But if we go down which is pretty likely at this point, we're dead. Why anyone is confident that McInnes is good enough to keep us up based on his record to date is mad. We don't have the info.

Probably some will think I dislike McInnes but really I haven't made my mind up. He's done nothing particularly impressive. We're not particularly impressive this season either. Don't jump the gun on supporting someone either....

Our good start to the season had people wetting themselves over playoffs / promotion. I'm confident our form will return shortly.

IMO, McInnes is the best manager we've had down in years. He has made many changes to a system / backroom that people moaned about constantly and signed some excellent players too. These are players we could only dream of under Millen. These changes will take time, GJ took a while to get going.

For what McInnes acheived last season he deserves that time. Anyone who wants the bloke gone is a clown, IMO.

Let's look at his record with St Johnstone. He took over from success with Owen Coyle and carried it on. Now he's gone the club has hit new heights under Steve Lomas. So how much of that success was down to him? It's very reminiscent of the Swansea or West Brom scenarios. The club being successful isn't totally down to the manager.

So he took over a hugely under performing (and crap) team and got us to be slightly better, we got up to and eventually out of the relegation dogfight but look at who went down. Is anyone suggesting that beating off a team that's bankrupt, a team that let an agent dictate their transfer policy and a team that's being systematically destroyed by it's ownership is a mark of success? I really hope not. Maybe it's the people who don't follow any football except City who think he did anything more than a competent job last season.

So the fact that he took over a hugely under performing (and crap) team (a team that looked destined for relegation) and kept them up was all down to Keith Millen??????????

Perhaps I've mis-read you but it appears you don't want to give McInnes any credit for keeping us up and rebuilding what was a hugely under performing (and crap) team.

Give the bloke a chance. As far as i'm concerned he deserves that, what I've seen so far this season still makes me optimistic he can build on last season.

I watched the Burnley game and thought 2 awful sides, i said before the game Charlie Austin will enjoy playing against our defence which he did. Tom Heaton i think is a great asset to the team don't have a problem with, the back four.... we miss Cunningham big time its like they've lost confidence Liam Fontaine is playing like a headless chicken and need to be dropped (thank god hes injured at the moment give him time off). Louis Carey in my opinion is passed it and need to move on maybe in a coaching role. Mcmanus is a good signing but he needs speed alongside him which Dawson or Ward would have been a great option. Midfield Byran is not the answer he is as championship manager word "hot prospect" shouldnt be starting infront of Anderson who is a super signing if fit or Woolford. good to see Morris starting i think he has the experience and the quality to boss the midfield (which i admit he didnt do against burnley) but needs someone like the old Elliott alongside him. Upfront i dont rate Taylor and Stead has gone off the boil, think Davies and Baldock is a strike force any defence would not like to come up against, Pitman should be given another chance. my opinion stick with Del!

Don't think many people want him gone, like redhyde I want him to succeed but is our midfield any better than last year or worse same as our defence.

We've signed some good forwards but we are letting in goals for fun at the moment. That stopped end of last year so what has he done to make us weaker defensively this year, find the answer to that and we will climb the table.

I really enjoy the people who jump on people for jumping the gun, by er jumping the gun. McInnes has done nothing in his managerial career to indicate how good he's going to be.

So to this season and I think everyone is aware we needed a drastic overhaul of our squad? You can't get a hit with every signing I'm aware but to get weaker in central midfield and defense is poor. We've spent over £2 million to stand still or maybe even go a little backwards. We look to be treading water competing with the likes of Millwall and Barnsley who spend much less budget wise than us. Is that a sign of McInnes success? But look at the teams below us this time.

Ipswich will get better, they really will, Wednesday are a bigger club than us and Dave Jones will either get better or he'll be gone. Peterborough are a mess but they still have some talent there.

We don't have the luxury of three imploding teams this season. We need another year or transfer window to complete the 11-15 player revamp that we needed from the mess of Millen/Johnson. But if we go down which is pretty likely at this point, we're dead. Why anyone is confident that McInnes is good enough to keep us up based on his record to date is mad. We don't have the info.

Probably some will think I dislike McInnes but really I haven't made my mind up. He's done nothing particularly impressive. We're not particularly impressive this season either. Don't jump the gun on supporting someone either....

Good post and stating exactly how it is at the moment.

I've highlighted what I consider to be a particularly salient point and it comes back to a series of posts the other day about consequetive City managers seemingly making the same mistakes. Its almost Deju vu. Johnson and then Millen didn't strengthen adequately at the right time and Millen took fearful criticism over his failure to sign a left back. He used the same explanations as McInnes is with his failure to find a right sided CB. All three have been too faithful to their 'favourite' players.

How can it be that all three can make the same or at least similiar mistakes? Is it down to them or down to some external influence? Does this happen at other clubs?

That is a fantastic post and my thoughts exactly...

If got nothing against Del...he comes across very well. I do hope he succeeds here.

However my gut feeling is that he is just as much a risk as what KM was.

I dread to think what will happen if we are in the relegation zone come January.

Excellent post and my views are very similar to this.

I'm still quietly confident that McInnes will move us forward and I certainly don't think his job should be under any threat, but I would place myself a long way short of being in the 'In McInnes we trust' camp.

To be fair, McInnes got them to third, now, without Rangers, Lomas has got them to second....

Like most of you, I was pretty depressed after last night's defeat v Burnley. Score three at home and still lose ??

I have just spent quite a long time trawling all the various threads about Mcinnes.

I must say that the most intelligent, balanced and informed comments about our current situation come from otib regular poster Nibor - as usual.

Nibor - your deep knowledge of our club (and the game generally) make me hesistant about posting. How could I better that ?

Read his posts. His analysis is brilliant.

What I will say is this. The majority view amongst City fans (myself included) is that Mcinnes is basically a good manager who we should support.

Of course you can criticise decisions - like last night when he took off Davies (our best player up to then) but actually after that - we played our best football for the last 20 mins - especially with the introduction of Anderson who I thought looked really lively.

So - remember, DMC took St Johnstone up to the SPL.

And as many on here have said, changing a manager every year is madness.

Stick with DMC. I am confident it will work out in the end,.

So many are confident that it will work out.I wish I was one of them.What is it you base this confidence on ?

So the fact that he took over a hugely under performing (and crap) team (a team that looked destined for relegation) and kept them up was all down to Keith Millen??????????

Perhaps I've mis-read you but it appears you don't want to give McInnes any credit for keeping us up and rebuilding what was a hugely under performing (and crap) team.

Give the bloke a chance. As far as i'm concerned he deserves that, what I've seen so far this season still makes me optimistic he can build on last season.

No, I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

He's saying that McInnes' previous success probably had its foundations laid by his predecessor and that it's one thing to sustain success and another thing entirely to turn around a losing side.

He showed last year that he's not completely incompetent and the record will show that he did lead a bunch of no-hopers to survival, but only just, and did seem to make quite hard work of it at times.

It's also fair to say that major holes remain in the squad. I prefer to believe that this is down to pure circumstances rather than failings on the part of the manager, but they're going to need to be fixed sooner or later and that responsibility does ultimately lie with the manager.

It's not a crap team that McInnes has built but it's still a very fragile one and until he fixes that we'll be prone to long slumps in form and last minute defeats.

Haven't bothered reading the majority of this thread but just wanted to say that I could not be happier to have DM as manager. He is a fantastic young manager who has been a credit to himself and the club since he walked through the door. My only worry is that in time a bigger and better club will snatch him away from us.

What I will say is this. The majority view amongst City fans (myself included) is that Mcinnes is basically a good manager.

I've got no idea how much more Steve Lansdown is prepared to spend but I reckon Del and Doc could be sensational here with a decent transfer pot. 20 million spent strengthening our 5 weakest positions would see us challenging at the top of the Championship. No management team could achieve much here with the lack of Championship calibre here. The Championship table doesn't lie and we've been consistently knocked out of the cup competitions in the early rounds over the past few seasons by lower division teams and that indicates a general lack of Championship calibre players in the squad. Del and Doc are pissing in the wind trying to get success out of our current squad.

Archived