IGNORED

Tides Of Racism Sweeping Football Again

Sixtyseconds

This is getting ridiculous

Maybe Hitler did have the right idea, have us all looking the same, tall, blond hair, blue eyed - then no one could discriminate against anyone

If Cardiff fans are going to start getting their blouses in a muddle over being called a 'welsh bastard' then I suggest they stop taking their Welsh flags and celebrating their Welshness at every turn*

It's just whinging for whingings sake, and I can't believe for one minute the fan that complained actually means for it to go this far.....does he/she?

What's next, the person who allegedly, ate all the pies complains about fans taking the piss? What about the bald man who gets singled out, the ginger haired person, the person with glasses? What about the fat, balding (but you can still see the ginger) 4 eyed person who gets singled out......

* - I'm glad Cardiff take their Welsh flags and celebrate their Welshness, just like I'm proud to be English - but you get my point

racism xenophobia or regionalism football in England has been no better than Serbia this season.

if it is not against ground regs we should all burn some joss sticks sunday and hug our neighbours.

Maybe somebody could hug that nice McCinnes in the centre circle before kick off.

I must have missed the game in this country , where half the crowd were making monkey noises and the players got attacked !!

What next , half the East End getting nicked for chanting "Enger-land" next time we play a Welsh club ??

This is getting ridiculous

Maybe Hitler did have the right idea, have us all looking the same, tall, blond hair, blue eyed - then no one could discriminate against anyone

If Cardiff fans are going to start getting their blouses in a muddle over being called a 'welsh bastard' then I suggest they stop taking their Welsh flags and celebrating their Welshness at every turn*

It's just whinging for whingings sake, and I can't believe for one minute the fan that complained actually means for it to go this far.....does he/she?

What's next, the person who allegedly, ate all the pies complains about fans taking the piss? What about the bald man who gets singled out, the ginger haired person, the person with glasses? What about the fat, balding (but you can still see the ginger) 4 eyed person who gets singled out......

* - I'm glad Cardiff take their Welsh flags and celebrate their Welshness, just like I'm proud to be English - but you get my point

What you picking on me for !!

(I'm not ginger though) :tongue:

it is Xenophobia and nothing compared to what they call us but as usual in the UKy, we simply cannot treat everyone equally.

Our answer to any form of discrimination is extreme discrimination the other way

Given that Wales is only a principality, I'm not even sure it qualifies as xenophobia. Probably more regionalism.

Oh dear, what an excessively PC, pc plod!

I must phone 999 to complain about the 'racist' Welsh rugby anthem "as long as we beat the English..."

It's hurt my finer feelings and I demand the instant arrest of the Stereophonics. For crimes against music as much as anything.

While were at it boys and girls, remember that in the new climate, the Ashton Gate perennial "you dirty northern bastards" will have to be changed to "ooh that was a bit clumsy, oh fraternal brothers from higher latitudes"...

I can't believe this is even being discussed...it's a non story.

Bringing to light such nonsense, only 'puts it out their' and indocterates minds.

When drinking in Wales...the banter in the pubs often consisted of 'yer daft English t wat'... Did it bother me? Nah...it's banter and goes back Centuries...

Another reason i'm looking forward to emigrating in the future...this country has gone to the pc dogs and people are starting to fall for it.

Hello dumbed down subordinate society... do as we say...not as we do...

'kinnel...so frustrating.

Such a shame that a Welsh person has felt the need to get the police involved in this matter , not all English people treat the Welsh in that manner. I love the people and the place in fact I just got back from visiting a lovely little place in Wales;

Lloysthwycyyrigridarbrewwthh... sorry there was a hair in my mouth.

I went to Swansea.

:surrender:

It’s ******* ridiculous and embarrassing. I hope the Cardiff fan’s case is dismissed and he’s fined for wasting police time.

That said, it does raise a number of points.

1-The term Welsh isn’t insulting, it’s merely factual. In the same way though the term ‘Black’ is not insulting. No one can really say why ‘you black XXXX’ is more offensive than ‘you Welsh XXXX’ can they. Obviously more loaded words like the N word or it’s variants, or I suppose ‘Taffy’ could be determined to be slurs, but merely calling someone Black, or Welsh followed by an insult suggests that the insult is the problem. And if the insult is the problem then we are truly in trouble.

2-While I do totally disagree with this idiot reporting it to the police, I do think that there is a fair degree of anti-Welsh sentiment in England, particularly in the border towns and cities, and I think this is an issue. It’s a cultural issue though that will be changed by a more accurate representation of Wales and its history in the media, and it certainly isn’t a legal issue. The language for example if perpetually mocked in the English media, and when you think about it, that is just ridiculous and unacceptable. The politics behind the language is one thing, but mocking it’s existence is not on, not least because it’s the British language and something we should all feel some pride over (The river running through Bristol is a Welsh word for example- Avon=Afon; River in Welsh) Obviously some people in Wales don't like England too, but the Welsh aren't ignorant of England and it's culture the way that many English people are about Wales.

3-A guy said earlier about emigrating to avoid this kind of thing…well good luck with that! The world is going in this direction unfortunately, and it’s being pushed in that direction by intolerant people, and they will push too far and too fast.

Anyway, I’m 100% with you lot. It’s a waste of time, it’s not racist, it’s not xenophobic, it’s just insulting. It’s a bit rude, but so to is not waving to thank someone to let you out of a junction but we dont have laws on that.

The vast bulk of Cardiff fans would agree with me on this, and feel free to continue to call us Welsh so and so’s for as long as you please, as it’s banter. If I met a Bristolian who was genuinely ignorant or anti-Welsh, I’d take issue to it, but football banter is just that.

Anyway, aside from anything else, it may be a long, long time before you get to call us anything! I can’t speak for Wrexham or Newport fans, but I’m sure they feel the same though. ;)

Anyway, aside from anything else, it may be a long, long time before you get to call us anything! I can’t speak for Wrexham or Newport fans, but I’m sure they feel the same though. ;)

Remind me, what date does your annual bottling fest begin this season? You leek munching barsteward! :D

Remind me, what date does your annual bottling fest begin this season? You leek munching barsteward! :D

It's scheduled to start this year on Monday 1st April when we play at home to Blackburn.

I'd give you a leek to munch on but your stiff upper lip would make it difficult you cheeky germanic, reserved, repressed, pedantic, posh, b*****d! ;)

The language for example if perpetually mocked in the English media, and when you think about it, that is just ridiculous and unacceptable

Couldn't agree more on this CBL

There was an awful advert on talksport about a year ago advertising a company who had depots all around the country, so if it was Bradford, for example, someone with a Yorkshire accent said 'Bradford', and so on, and so forth

The person that said 'Abergavenny' (sp!?) had obviously never been to Wales. Now, I get it's an advert that I doubt anyone else paid much attention to, but for some reason that really boiled my piss. Instant flick over to 5live whenever it came on. One of my best mates is Welsh, but has lived this side for 20 years now, the only time he slips into his Welsh accent is when he's messing around and being a **** (as he's Swindon, that's quite a lot!), and I've mentioned this to him in the past, as it plays into the stereotypical view of the Welsh accent

I hate it when my West Country accent is picked on, for making me sound thick. I couldn't be prouder to come from the West and I couldn't give a flying **** what anyone thinks of how I talk. Just like a Welshman shouldn't, or a Scot, or an Aussie etc etc

It's what makes us different, it's our heritage

Rant over!

Jesus I wonder if the precious little flower would have bothered making a complaint had Cardiff won the game (a game they were winning). FFS we lost there after being 2-0 up, get over it FFS.

and CBL believe me there is far more anti English sentiment all over Wales than there is in England and of course the North Waleans who just hate everybody including their South Wales counterparts.

Jesus I wonder if the precious little flower would have bothered making a complaint had Cardiff won the game (a game they were winning). FFS we lost there after being 2-0 up, get over it FFS.

and CBL believe me there is far more anti English sentiment all over Wales than there is in England and of course the North Waleans who just hate everybody including their South Wales counterparts.

I quite passionately do not think that is true. I think there is far more anti-Welsh feeling in England than anti-English feeling in Wales. It is not so politically organised, it is not so overly vocal, but the undercurrent of anti-Welsh feeling is pretty strong in a sense that we should 'know our place'.

Take any story you like about the Welsh Government on the rare occasions that the supposedly UK media covers a story and you will see openly anti-Welsh comments made. It's not the case here. Yes a few people are vocal about it (The Daily Mail love this and report it as the norm!) but Welsh people know about life in England, the same can't be said in vice versa to the same extent. I was watching a documentary recently about Tom Jones and the presenter made no attempt to pronounce 'Pontypridd' correctly..it's just all a bit ignorant.

Anyway, point is, it's all banter and we should all deal with it. That was My FIRST point. My SECOND, and less important point was that I do think that Wales is poorly represented and understood in the UK and that there is a heck of a lot of ignorance about Wales as a result.

Every survey going suggests that around 10% of Welsh people want independence. Most surveys also suggest 10% of the population is homosexual.

So while people throw around comments like ‘The bloody Welsh want independence anyway’, bear in mind it is statistically as ludicrous as me claiming that all Bristolians are homosexual, yet this kind of comment is somehow acceptable.

I dunno, it just bugs me really, the same way that it would bug you when Americans know **** all about England, except of course that we are all in the same country-the United Kingdom (of which 90% of us support remember!)

Some interesting examples here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_relationship_between_the_Welsh_and_the_English#Anti-English_sentiment

I quite passionately do not think that is true. I think there is far more anti-Welsh feeling in England than anti-English feeling in Wales. It is not so politically organised, it is not so overly vocal, but the undercurrent of anti-Welsh feeling is pretty strong in a sense that we should 'know our place'.

Take any story you like about the Welsh Government on the rare occasions that the supposedly UK media covers a story and you will see openly anti-Welsh comments made. It's not the case here. Yes a few people are vocal about it (The Daily Mail love this and report it as the norm!) but Welsh people know about life in England, the same can't be said in vice versa to the same extent. I was watching a documentary recently about Tom Jones and the presenter made no attempt to pronounce 'Pontypridd' correctly..it's just all a bit ignorant.

Anyway, point is, it's all banter and we should all deal with it. That was My FIRST point. My SECOND, and less important point was that I do think that Wales is poorly represented and understood in the UK and that there is a heck of a lot of ignorance about Wales as a result.

Every survey going suggests that around 10% of Welsh people want independence. Most surveys also suggest 10% of the population is homosexual.

So while people throw around comments like ‘The bloody Welsh want independence anyway’, bear in mind it is statistically as ludicrous as me claiming that all Bristolians are homosexual, yet this kind of comment is somehow acceptable.

I dunno, it just bugs me really, the same way that it would bug you when Americans know **** all about England, except of course that we are all in the same country-the United Kingdom (of which 90% of us support remember!)

We will agree to disagree, all I can say is I spent many a month working all over Wales and made some great friends and was taken to some less than salubrious watering holes during my time their and I can say that apart from most Welsh work colleagues I didn't find much of a welcome in the hillside. Also I suggest you listen to your fans every time I have been at matches involving them and English clubs over 50% of the chants are usually anti English.

PS:-I never mentioned independence, I don't see it as an issue in Wales.

Archived