IGNORED

Louis Carey Appearances

shaner89

Although it is highly likely Louis will pass Atyeo's overall appearance record it is unlikely that he'll surpass his league one now, as big John played 597 times for us and Louis is now on 551.

For me that's perfect, as Atyeo's record will remain intact and Louis will become the league appearance record holder- with both these records unlikely to ever be broken.

Record number of appearances. If that's not a city great then I don't know what is.

While I completely agree, I already think Carey is already a (living) legend and a Bristol City great. Casual supporters and die hard fans, old and new will recognize Carey and his contributions.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he is a God, but most certainly a child of one.

He doesn't full into the same bracket as John Atyeo though does he

What's your point?

Although it is highly likely Louis will pass Atyeo's overall appearance record it is unlikely that he'll surpass his league one now, as big John played 597 times for us and Louis is now on 551.

For me that's perfect, as Atyeo's record will remain intact and Louis will become the league appearance record holder- with both these records unlikely to ever be broken.

Thing is, I'm not even sure that like is being compared with like. As far as I can make out the figures are as follows (don't go by PA stats on club website as they miss out pre-2009 League Cup data and the Play-Off Final!):

Appearances for Bristol City

John Atyeo

• League: 597 (incl 1 aban'd)
  • FA Cup: 42 (incl 1 aban'd)
  • League Cup: 6
  • Sub Total: 645
  • Others: 14 (Welsh Cup & Gloucs Senior Cup)
  • Total: 659

Louis Carey

• League: 560
  • FA Cup: 27
  • League Cup: 23
  • Sub Total: 610
  • Others: 25 (Football League Trophy)
  • Total: 635

So the only way I can see that Lou is "ten matches shy of John's record" as is being claimed is to compare Lou's Grand Total with John's Sub-total as defined above ... perhaps someone from the club could clarify the matter because it is only fair to both of these excellent club servants to have the facts right.

While I completely agree, I already think Carey is already a (living) legend and a Bristol City great. Casual supporters and die hard fans, old and new will recognize Carey and his contributions.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he is a God, but most certainly a child of one.

What's your point?

My point? Is talk of a stand for Louis Carey is daft

Thing is, I'm not even sure that like is being compared with like. As far as I can make out the figures are as follows (don't go by PA stats on club website as they miss out pre-2009 League Cup data and the Play-Off Final!):

John Atyeo

Louis Carey

So the only way I can see that Lou is "ten matches shy of John's record" as is being claimed is to compare Lou's Grand Total with John's Sub-total as defined above ... perhaps someone from the club could clarify the matter because it is only fair to both of these excellent club servants to have the facts right.

I can clarify this slightly, I hope. The Welsh Cup doesn't come within the ambit of the FA, so probably doesn't count. The Gloucestershire Cup is not regarded as a first team competition so again it probably doesn't count.

The Football League Trophy does come within the ambit of the FA and is regarded as a first team competition* so it does count. Probably.

* Yes, I do know that the FLT is a pile of sh1te and even the Sags have reached its final, but the FA does recognise it.

John Atyeo

Louis Carey

You don't happen to know the number of those appearances that were made as a sub do you?

I can clarify this slightly, I hope. The Welsh Cup doesn't come within the ambit of the FA, so probably doesn't count. The Gloucestershire Cup is not regarded as a first team competition so again it probably doesn't count.

The Football League Trophy does come within the ambit of the FA and is regarded as a first team competition* so it does count. Probably.

* Yes, I do know that the FLT is a pile of sh1te and even the Sags have reached its final, but the FA does recognise it.

That's plausible ... however I do think the Welsh Cup and Gloucs Sen Cup may well have been regarded as Senior First Team Competitions in JA's day ... and because they didn't have the Paint-pot (or the League Cup either for much of JA's career) I just wonder if League & FA Cup isn't the fairest like-for-like comparison? (... so here's to a cup run this year with Lou at the heart of it!)

"Undignified"?????

You have got to be kidding - Middlesboro have a good team, Ishmael Miller is a dangerous player - they are promotion challengers and we went into the game off a run of 6 points from 14 games. Our victory owes as much to Louis as to anyone else - he stepped up (again) when we needed him most.

This has been the case for so much of his 600+ games and is precisely why he was given a new contract - if he was embarrassed once then just remember what Albert did to Amougou

Louis Carey is not and would never be a passenger at this club

Exactly this. Very well said my friend!

Amougou looked like he was running in treacle when chasing Albert. I don't understand people's constant obsession with thinking defenders have to be quick. Full backs should be yes, but not every centre half has to be quick!

Even great centre halfs like Pique and Ramos have got done for pace.

Louis is god.

Amougou looked like he was running in treacle when chasing Albert. I don't understand people's constant obsession with thinking defenders have to be quick. Full backs should be yes, but not every centre half has to be quick!

Louis is god.

You've got to have pace or positioning, if your positional sense is poor you'll need pace to get you out of most problems.

The likes of Carey has relied on his positioning due to his lack of pace and it's served him well down the years.

Louis is god.

Absolutely spot on fella.

Louis is god.

Louis is god? Yes...and he certainly has had more power at City then he should have had down the years.

Although "undignified" may be a little harsh, Louis Carey limping towards this record reminds me of Beckham limping towards the England record. Hopefully once it's broken we can all finally move on and start looking to the future

Louis is god? Yes...and he certainly has had more power at City then he should have had down the years.

Although "undignified" may be a little harsh, Louis Carey limping towards this record reminds me of Beckham limping towards the England record. Hopefully once it's broken we can all finally move on and start looking to the future

Does it remind you of Giggs and Scholes limping towards league titles as well?

Regardless of whether he has 'limped' his way to where he is now or not, enough managers have rated him to stick with him. Are all of them wrong?

We all know he has seen better days, but he has been a fantastic servant to this club. He is a legend to me as I wasn't old enough to see Atyeo, but limped or not he has always gave everything for this club.

Limped or not I would rather see a Louis Carey 'limping' his way to the record, than have to watch some of the journeymen playing for this club without giving a toss about BCFC. Or having to watch gutless players hide when the going gets tough.

IF he beats the record he fully deserves it for me. For what it's worth a part of me doesn't think he will. But I sincerely hope he does.

One Louis Carey.

Does it remind you of Giggs and Scholes limping towards league titles as well?

Regardless of whether he has 'limped' his way to where he is now or not, enough managers have rated him to stick with him. Are all of them wrong?

We all know he has seen better days, but he has been a fantastic servant to this club. He is a legend to me as I wasn't old enough to see Atyeo, but limped or not he has always gave everything for this club.

Limped or not I would rather see a Louis Carey 'limping' his way to the record, than have to watch some of the journeymen playing for this club without giving a toss about BCFC. Or having to watch gutless players hide when the going gets tough.

IF he beats the record he fully deserves it for me. For what it's worth a part of me doesn't think he will. But I sincerely hope he does.

One Louis Carey.

He's only limping because he's spent so much of his time here throwing his body at anything for the cause.

Blood, sweat and tears.

Louis is god.

He's only limping because he's spent so much of his time here throwing his body at anything for the cause.

Blood, sweat and tears.

Louis is god.

He is a club legend, if he beats atyeo's record, fair play, he deserves it. If he doesn't, well atyeo deserved to keep it.

As a personality Louis is great, as a captain, he has led cajoled his players well. He has constantly put his body on the line, and come away with the battle scars to prove it.

If it wasn't for such Crappy management and board room bias, he would not have been treated differently to non bristolians and offered a contract on par with them, which would have been deserved as captain, and the he played for Coventry rubbish would not even come into it. Let's not forget, big John also played for 2 clubs.

Big john is a legend because of goal scoring and appearances. Carey IMO, has just as much right to be be seen as a true bcfc legend as big John. Good luck to him.

He may not be a god, but he is right up there with the bcfc greats.

Not often we agree Jordan, and that maybe a different era type thing, but this, I think we have common ground on Louis.

Not this old canard again. If Louis was any more laid-back he'd be horizontal. He's a million miles away from this scheming, "changing room Scargill" persona that those utterly not in the know have dreamt up for him.

Archived