IGNORED

Louis Carey Appearances

shaner89

No-one is actually slagging Carey off but some are pointing out that he hasn't been a 'loyal servent' to Bristol City for his entire career. Nor is he a legend imo. He's always been an average player, ( many of us have watched his entire career) solid and committed but without real quality. In that regard he reminds me of Sean Taylor. We all know that Carey has had disciplinary issue becuase of his fiery attitude on the pitch and over his career has picked up way too many yellow card with resulting suspensions.

Simply because a player is about to break a clubs appearence record doesn't make them a 'legend'. To me a legend is someone like Thierry Henry at Arsenal or Matt Le Tissier at Southampton a mantle earned by what they did on the pitch. Gerry Gow is a City legend because of his style and 'no holds barred' attitude, plus he could play a bit as well.

The criticism Carey receives from some on this forum will always amaze me. Of course he's a Bristol City legend and I'd love for him to break the record this season, as I'm sure would many.

While at the same time crying over the fact our 6th choice League 1 striker is going out on loan. I agree, it's embarrassing.

No-one is actually slagging Carey off but some are pointing out that he hasn't been a 'loyal servent' to Bristol City for his entire career. Nor is he a legend imo. He's always been an average player, ( many of us have watched his entire career) solid and committed but without real quality. In that regard he reminds me of Sean Taylor. We all know that Carey has had disciplinary issue becuase of his fiery attitude on the pitch and over his career has picked up way too many yellow card with resulting suspensions.

Simply because a player is about to break a clubs appearence record doesn't make them a 'legend'. To me a legend is someone like Thierry Henry at Arsenal or Matt Le Tissier at Southampton a mantle earned by what they did on the pitch. Gerry Gow is a City legend because of his style and 'no holds barred' attitude, plus he could play a bit as well.

I've always liked Louis and I wish him well. In no way is he comparable to Atyeo from playing point of view. Louis has always been a solid, committed, dependable player for us but no one could describe him as a great player. Very big clubs wanted to sign Atyeo - which hasn't been the case with Louis.

Thing about this debate, IMO, is that at its heart it illustrates a long standing lack of ambition and acceptance of mediociity at the club. As you say, other clubs have the likes of Henry and Le Tissier. Of late, we've had Carey, Tinnion and Murray. Don't get me wrong, I've liked all of them - but would players like these be rated at anywhere other than nice old Bristol City?

Me

Hehe. My youngest (4) labours under the misapprehension that when daddy goes to football, he does so as a player. The rest of the family collude in this fantasy.

However, my sister wants to take her and her cousin to a 'quid a kid' match this season- their first game - so I might have to explain that Mr McInnes is resting me then. :whistle:

Atyeo chose to stay amateur because football was his hobby. If Atyeo had become professional maybe he could have done more!

Actually:

Portsmouth (Amateur) 1950/51

Bristol City (part time) 1951/52 - 57/58

Bristol City (full time) 1958/59 - 62/63

Bristol City (part time) 1963/64 - 65/66

It has alway staggered me that some of our own "supporters" constantly gripe about the very players we should be adoring. A local boy who supported the club, came through the ranks to become the clubs record appearance holder is Roy of the Rovers stuff. Only our support could belittle his achievement (assuming he does it) other clubs would be having statues built.

I for one can't wait to take my seat in the Louis Carey stand at Ashton Vale!

Louis! Louis! Louis!

You think we should all 'adore' Carey and the club should even name a stand after him for no other reason than he's played so many games, mostly in the 3rd tier? Really over the top comments.

Carey was not an active BCFC supporter before turning pro. - his love for Liverpool FC from an early age is well documented. It's not like he was plucked out of middle the EE as some would have you believe - he's always stressed how great it has been to play for his 'local club', not that he supported City.

He's been a good steady pro for City and has certainly made the most of his career after being one of the last in his age group the City staff thought would make it through natural ability.

To name a stand after him would be completely ridiculous - how about the Trevor Tainton stand, the Gerry Gow stand, the Sir Geoffrey Merrick stand and many others who would deserve to be honoured before LC? All long serving, loyal players who battled like hell to take City to the top flight and represented City there with distinction. Merrick and Tom Ritchie actually rejected a joint move to Arsenal in the promotion season, where they would have at least doubled their wages, because of their determination to achieve promotion with BCFC.

That's what I call loyalty - just a slight difference between their attitude and Carey with Coventry - and all the above, not forgetting Gerry Sweeney, were fantastic servants for Bristol City in the top two divisions and true legends of the club.

You think we should all 'adore' Carey and the club should even name a stand after him for no other reason than he's played so many games, mostly in the 3rd tier? Really over the top comments.

Carey was not an active BCFC supporter before turning pro. - his love for Liverpool FC from an early age is well documented. It's not like he was plucked out of middle the EE as some would have you believe - he's always stressed how great it has been to play for his 'local club', not that he supported City.

He's been a good steady pro for City and has certainly made the most of his career after being one of the last in his age group the City staff thought would make it through natural ability.

To name a stand after him would be completely ridiculous - how about the Trevor Tainton stand, the Gerry Gow stand, the Sir Geoffrey Merrick stand and many others who would deserve to be honoured before LC? All long serving, loyal players who battled like hell to take City to the top flight and represented City there with distinction. Merrick and Tom Ritchie actually rejected a joint move to Arsenal in the promotion season, where they would have at least doubled their wages, because of their determination to achieve promotion with BCFC.

That's what I call loyalty - just a slight difference between their attitude and Carey with Coventry - and all the above, not forgetting Gerry Sweeney, were fantastic servants for Bristol City in the top two divisions and true legends of the club.

Completely agree but its hard work trying to make a reasoned point when there are so may one-eyed fans who can't see past Carey taking over as City's all time appearence record holder. No doubt many of these one-eyed types have never heard of Merrick, Ritchie or Gerry Sweeney.

If David Noble deserves the 'legend' status that many posters on OTIB wish to bestow upon him, then Louis most certainly does! Louis has delivered many, many more times than Noble ever did - and that's the key to it for me, players who represented City on numerous occassions and frequently delivered, which means players like Louis, Tinnion, Belly and Scotty - legends all of them!

If David Noble deserves the 'legend' status that many posters on OTIB wish to bestow upon him, then Louis most certainly does! Louis has delivered many, many more times than Noble ever did - and that's the key to it for me, players who represented City on numerous occassions and frequently delivered, which means players like Louis, Tinnion, Belly and Scotty - legends all of them!

But John Ateo tops the lot. :cool2:

I think by definition, all your club's top 5 appearance record holders are "club legends". Not all might be the most skilful players to pull on the red shirt, but their presence in the side over hundreds of games, their effort and loyalty deserves respect.

Very few players nowadays get anywhere near 500 appearances for one club. I think if you quizzed supporters from elsewhere about their appearance record holders they'd all rank them all as legends.

We may never see another 500+ appearance player at AG, yet some are trying to denigrate the one we have. Now that IS sad.

Actually:

Portsmouth (Amateur) 1950/51

Bristol City (part time) 1951/52 - 57/58

Bristol City (full time) 1958/59 - 62/63

Bristol City (part time) 1963/64 - 65/66

Absolutely right, but I suspect that first part-time spell shortened his England career. In those days, footballers were grossly underpaid, and he made the sensible decision to plan for his retirement, first as a quantity surveyor, then as a teacher.

My childhood idols were John Atyeo and Tom Graveney, and I've regretted neither decision.

However, if Louis beats John's record, I'll be delighted for him. He's done (and is still doing) a solid job for his first club (despite a short term away) and that'll do for me.

As to those who prefer Luis Suarez to Louis Carey, may I suggest that you either send off for your replica shirts and sit in front of your TV, or grow up and show some loyalty.

Completely agree but its hard work trying to make a reasoned point when there are so may one-eyed fans who can't see past Carey taking over as City's all time appearence record holder. No doubt many of these one-eyed types have never heard of Merrick, Ritchie or Gerry Sweeney.

Quite a patronising comment there Robbo. You forget that some of the posters on this forum will be in there teens or early 20's.(Even so I'm sure most of them will have heard of the names you mention).

Just because you and I have seen them play , doesn't mean everyone has. To an 18 - 25 year old , Louis Carey will be a legend. They will have grown up with him as a constant in the team , long time captain and will view him as some sort of god.

For me Carey doesn't come close to Atyeo in the legend stakes , Big John played more games than anyone in an era where there were a lot less games , scored more goals than anyone and played for England.

Even so , If the younger fans amongst us see him as such , nobody should be putting down their thoughts on the subject , surely it's all down to personal choice. You should know that as much as anyone.

Louis will always be a legend in my eyes. John Atyeo will not because I never saw him.

I grew up with Louis and remember when he started appearing and me and my family thought he was rubbish!- same reason why I think James Wilson needs more games because I think that a central defender of Louis' class is not something you are born into. Funny how football turns you into a hypocrite.

We have been trying to replace this chap for at least 3 years and are slowly but surely finding him irreplaceable.

If I had my way there would be a statue of him (of a standard that he can approve) alongside Mr Atyeo and whilst I'm here I'd have a Lansdown Stand.

A magnificent servant certainly, but am not sure I want him to exceed Atyeo. We should remember that Atyeo's apprearances were entirely as a starter - don't think that Louis would beat him without sub appearances.

As far as naming a stand is concerned would prefer to see our greatest manager honoured before Louis: even if it means away supporters going in the Dicks Stand.

I disagree.It would be a wonderful acheivement in the modern game if Louis broke the record.I am hoping Louis does it and hope where ever it is, there is a massive turn out of City fans to celebrate. No one will come near it ever again

I think It's fair to say I'm a nob.

I like your interest in all things football, I remember being like that. Don't become old and cynical like me. Or at least, don't let city drag you down.

And remember.. real Madrid are shit :)

How dare you.

Real Madrid are the greatest.

I am a football nut it must be said, I will always be learning more about the game which is what makes it great...

I think by definition, all your club's top 5 appearance record holders are "club legends". Not all might be the most skilful players to pull on the red shirt, but their presence in the side over hundreds of games, their effort and loyalty deserves respect.

Very few players nowadays get anywhere near 500 appearances for one club. I think if you quizzed supporters from elsewhere about their appearance record holders they'd all rank them all as legends.

We may never see another 500+ appearance player at AG, yet some are trying to denigrate the one we have. Now that IS sad.

Very well said Red Robbo.

Cool your jets Brett. Being devils advocate did Those players mentioned make the top two record appearance holders? No. Claiming they are loyal because of some rumour of an Arsenal bid is ridiculous. Now I'm not slagging them or any other off, as I said they are highly regarded and from what I hear rightly so. But a man who is a City fan as is his family who goes on to do so well is also a legend in my eyes and for most clubs in the country would be put on a pedestal.

I'm certainly not suggesting a stand is named after Louis either, as long as there is some reference to the Ashton Gate 8 in the new stadium we can I'm not bothered. But I'm surprised at the attitude of some "supporters" to a great Bristol City servant.

Exactly. Any player who makes 500+ appearances for a club should be celebrated and while talk of naming a stand after him is a little ott, I think anyone who denies Louis his place on the list of BCFC legends is plain wrong

I watched all the above players, and superb they were. But, none of them come close to what Carey is about to achieve.

He is probably about to become the player who has played the most EVER games for BCFC.

In 25 years time all City fans will regard Carey as a club legend, the same way that all of us( who never saw him play) look at John Atyeo.

Why are you so bitter about Carey having a short spell at Coventry? get over it, the rest of us did about 10 years ago.

It's seems strange that a player who has shown real character, fighting spirit, loyal service and real talent for many many years for BCFC, still doesn't get any credit for it from you.

I like what they do in America at Baseball stadia, have an area put aside for legends with either a plaque or a statue. Could do this at the new stadium.

As an aside, I know it's early yet but I get the impression that Joe Bryan will go on to have a long career with City.

Claiming they are loyal because of some rumour of an Arsenal bid is ridiculous.

But a man who is a City fan as is his family who goes on to do so well is also a legend in my eyes and for most clubs in the country would be put on a pedestal.

Ridiculous?

The Arsenal bid for Merrick and Ritchie wasn't just a rumour at all.

It happened, and they chose to stay at City.

Geoff Merrick, who captained City to promotion to the top league had been an active attending City fan since boyhood by the way, unlike Carey, who I can only repeat - as it seemed to fall on deaf ears - has never made any secret at all that Liverpool was his favourite team.

Ridiculous?

The Arsenal bid for Merrick and Ritchie wasn't just a rumour at all.

It happened, and they chose to stay at City.

Geoff Merrick, who captained City to promotion to the top league had been an active attending City fan since boyhood by the way, unlike Carey, who I can only repeat - as it seemed to fall on deaf ears - has never made any secret at all that Liverpool was his favourite team.

Its not me that has the deaf ears pal, i never once said Carey is better than Merrick or anyone else. Both are legends in my book. Yes Carey claims to like Liverpool (as does Murray who is also a boyhood Aberdeen fan) sadly both seem to be part of the growing sad generations that seem to "support" a big club as well as their own.

Its not me that has the deaf ears pal, i never once said Carey is better than Merrick or anyone else. Both are legends in my book. Yes Carey claims to like Liverpool (as does Murray who is also a boyhood Aberdeen fan) sadly both seem to be part of the growing sad generations that seem to "support" a big club as well as their own.

Right, so perhaps you could stop saying in every post that he was a City fan then.

He wasn't.

He's always said he supported Liverpool, no mention of Bristol City.

Archived