IGNORED

Lew-T

Some great reads in this thread, even for us who were their...jogged a few brain cells i'd forgotten about.

Shame we didn't have the Speedway and Bristol Bulldogs as Residents back then.... although, space and noise would have been impossible.

Remember 7-10,000 fans regularly on a Friday night. 1977/78

Anyone else used to go back then?

A great read - I hadn't seen those comments from the players before. It's a shame that the public have the impression that they were all on really long-term contracts, when it seems that only really applied to Clive Whitehead, and Tom Ritchie. Interesting that those who had been with the club for a long time didn't realise the situation, whereas Peter Aitken, coming in from elsewhere, picked up on the way things were going.

Gerry Sweeney doesn't seem to have aged in that photo! I seem to remember he used to wear at tartan cap during his playing days. :ill:

A great read - I hadn't seen those comments from the players before. It's a shame that the public have the impression that they were all on really long-term contracts, when it seems that only really applied to Clive Whitehead, and Tom Ritchie. Interesting that those who had been with the club for a long time didn't realise the situation, whereas Peter Aitken, coming in from elsewhere, picked up on the way things were going.

Gerry Sweeney doesn't seem to have aged in that photo! I seem to remember he used to wear at tartan cap during his playing days. :ill:

he was one of the best players at gow's testimonial and could still do a job,

I use to work with Gerry he is fit

people calling for the club to spend recklessly or to "Go for it" need to burn this story in their minds,

We almost went to the wall last time the next time we may not come back at all (I pray this will never happen)

I've said it before, but +1 for this

There but for the grace of God...

Never again, I don't want to go through that ever, I'd rather have City playing in a numpty league than not at all

REMEMBER young 'uns, when you go on about "speculate to accumulate" and treat losses as some kind of paper exercise, some of us were facing the very real prospect of no longer having a football team to support - gone, overnight, forever.

Glad to see David Rogers did OK, Clifton College, blimey he must have been a shock to all the posh boys up there, top guy. If only I'd had the guts to go up and talk to him when I was at BGS...

It did get to the stage where me and my mates were wondering what we would do on a Saturday afternoon.

I can still remember a discussion where we actually thought we may have to go and watch Exeter City.

None if us would have gone to the gas, so Exeter seemed the only option.

I guess I would have still had a frustrating last 30 years if I watched them!!

The Newport County away game which was to have been our last game,still sticks high in the memory.

Loads of trouble that day,We infiltrated there end and must of had more in there than they did.

The Fulham game the following week was very emotional, the young City team did us all proud that day, happy and sad times back then.

Playing Devil's Advocate and risking vilification; having achieved a mid table position in Div 1 in 1978-79, the players stopped performing leading to relegation. OK fair enough someone has to go down, but the same players couldn't cut it in Div 2 either. My notes from the time are below.

City were finally relegated one April night in 1980 when Everton beat Southampton 3-0. In the 42 League matches that season, they scored just 37 goals and only won six of their home games.

Both Bristol clubs had a poor start to the following season and in September 1980, Alan Dicks was dismissed after 13 years service. He had been the longest serving manager in the country, but the next 14 years would see eight managers at Ashton Gate. Bob Houghton was appointed in Dicks' place. He had been managing Malmo in Sweden and wished to return to England. Also at this time, the Chairman offered an open door to the Rovers' board if they wished to discuss a merger as fans were staying away from two sinking ships, but nothing came of it. Gerry Gow was transferred to Manchester City for £180,000 to raise some capital. At the end of the season, he played in the F.A. Cup final for his new team and at the end of his career, he returned to the West Country and had managerial spells with Yeovil Town and Weymouth. Despite all the expense of his schooling, Shaun Penny was released without ever becoming a first team regular and moved to Eastville. In the New Year, Sunderland stepped in to buy Tom Ritchie. His final game for the club was in a cup replay against Carlisle. He played his heart out and scored twice in a 5-0 romp. City went on to the fifth round of the Cup, but the League games continued to see odd goal defeats at places such as Grimsby, Watford and Cambridge. Finally, after a poorly attended goal less local derby, both Bristol clubs were relegated to Division Three! It was little consolation that City's match day programme was voted best in the League. Rovers final five games of the season were played at Ashton Gate following a fire at Eastville.

Obviously, third division attendances were poor and in the Autumn of 1981, Chairman Stephen Kew announced that the club was no longer able to pay the wages of Geoff Merrick and others who had signed long, lucrative contracts during the first division days. The 23,000 attendances of three years ago had dwindled to less than 5,000 and the club was in danger of being wound up. Stickers appeared on walls and in cars reading "Support Bristol City, now or never!" In February 1982, what was expected to be the club's final game was at Newport County. Hordes of programme collectors descended to buy a copy of what would become a collector's item. The national T.V. news showed the equaliser in the 1-1 draw and commentators asked "Will this be Bristol City's last goal?" Noon the following Wednesday was the deadline. At 11.55a.m. the players, collectively known as the "Ashton Eight", put the club first and tore up their contracts. Chris Garland went to Hong Kong, Jimmy Mann moved to S****horpe, Ray Cashley crossed town to join Rovers and teamed up with Don Gillies who had moved there the previous season. Clive Whitehead had been playing in the reserves because the club could not afford the win bonus if he was in the first team. West Brom snapped him up for £100,000, a fraction of his true worth.

It did get to the stage where me and my mates were wondering what we would do on a Saturday afternoon.

I can still remember a discussion where we actually thought we may have to go and watch Exeter City.

None if us would have gone to the gas, so Exeter seemed the only option.

I guess I would have still had a frustrating last 30 years if I watched them!!

The Newport County away game which was to have been our last game,still sticks high in the memory.

Loads of trouble that day,We infiltrated there end and must of had more in there than they did.

The Fulham game the following week was very emotional, the young City team did us all proud that day, happy and sad times back then.

Yes I remember the Fulham game well and often think about it. I wish I was clever enough with words to paint a true picture of the emotions of the day for the younger fans.

I will say it was the loudest I have ever heard Ashton Gate with only 10,000, from memory, in the ground There was such a "we're all in this together" attitude in the ground, all the moaners, of which there had been many thousands in the previous few years, had disappeared and the REAL fans remained.

Although it's often and quite rightly described as the clubs darkest years, I wouldn't of missed it for anything and remains an era where I still draw some of my favourite memories of my life. That may be to do with the fact I was 18, just passed my test and only had to worry where my next pint/shag was coming from but the adversity did create an atmosphere I don't suppose will exist anywhere in professional football again.

yes totally agree but aslso joe jordan as well and not forgetting those that are managers now after a good city career roy hodson look how well he's done and david moyes who was a brilliant defender for us little steps that revived us from the ashes trying to remeber which game it was but when we were bottom of the old 4th div a crowd of 1,500

Remember going on a Tuesday night home to Halifax and we were bottom of div 4 and there were just 2,500 but did we really sink to 1,500

yes totally agree but aslso joe jordan as well and not forgetting those that are managers now after a good city career roy hodson look how well he's done and david moyes who was a brilliant defender for us little steps that revived us from the ashes trying to remeber which game it was but when we were bottom of the old 4th div a crowd of 1,500

Remember going on a Tuesday night home to Halifax and we were bottom of div 4 and there were just 2,500 but did we really sink to 1,500

Pretty sure our lowest gate that season was v Torquay, 3041, we lost 1-0 to a goal scored in the 1st minute. The Halifax att. wasn't much higher but we won 3-0 in the moonboots.

Archived