IGNORED

I Miss This Guy So Much....

spudski

Best manager in British History for me. Why the FA gave the England job to "couldn't fall out of his wife to save his life" Ron Greenwood I don't know. I imagine English Football would be very different today if Clough & Taylor took on the England Job, I'd be confident to say also we would of won a World Cup or a Euro Cup.

People think AF is the best manager in history, but it would be interesting to see how he would do if he left United and took on another club. Clough showed us he was one of the greats from getting Derby and Forest from the old second divison and making both teams league champions.

Best manager in British History for me. Why the FA gave the England job to "couldn't fall out of his wife to save his life" Ron Greenwood I don't know. I imagine English Football would be very different today if Clough & Taylor took on the England Job, I'd be confident to say also we would of won a World Cup or a Euro Cup.

People think AF is the best manager in history, but it would be interesting to see how he would do if he left United and took on another club. Clough showed us he was one of the greats from getting Derby and Forest from the old second divison and making both teams league champions.

Sir Alex is by far the best manager ever, let alone in Britain.

Couldn't agree more...

This is a great watch too...

Sir Alex is by far the best manager ever, let alone in Britain.

No, Fergie is an outstanding manager in an era of very average managers. Brian Clough was an outstanding manager from an era of great, great managers. Brian Clough is the greatest manager this country has ever produced bar none.

No, Fergie is an outstanding manager in an era of very average managers. Brian Clough was an outstanding manager from an era of great, great managers. Brian Clough is the greatest manager this country has ever produced bar none.

I disagree, but I respect your opinion! I also dislike Man United a lot so I'm not biased at all.

i posted about the SAF statue in light of his legacy that he has built at Man Utd over the last 26 years - dont forget man utd did not win the top league for nearly 30 years before United won it in the first season of the prem.

I too do love reading / watching documentaries about Brian Clough, too young to appreciate what he did at the time. I just remember his later days at Forest from growing up.

one of my favourite interviews with him was about the arsenal invincibles beating his record of matches going undefeated

We could do with another one of him, along with a Peter Taylor type assistant manager. Those 2 really were a quality team together. Always wondered what would have happened had Taylor joined him at Leeds. Either way, Derby and Forest fans and club representatives will always remember them.

i posted about the SAF statue in light of his legacy that he has built at Man Utd over the last 26 years - dont forget man utd did not win the top league for nearly 30 years before United won it in the first season of the prem.

I too do love reading / watching documentaries about Brian Clough, too young to appreciate what he did at the time. I just remember his later days at Forest from growing up.

one of my favourite interviews with him was about the arsenal invincibles beating his record of matches going undefeated

We could do with another one of him, along with a Peter Taylor type assistant manager. Those 2 really were a quality team together. Always wondered what would have happened had Taylor joined him at Leeds. Either way, Derby and Forest fans and club representatives will always remember them.

I don't think it would matter. It would be in the same mold as Fergie jumping ship to Man C or Dalglish walking round with an Everton top on.

Clough slated Leeds & Revie constantly with their style of football. Leeds were long ball tactics, dirty two foot tackles, divers and all outfield players would surround the referee to get the decision their way.

When Clough arrived he told every player at Leeds to chuck all their caps, medals, honours into the biggest ****ing wastebin around as he felt they won by cheating.

The likes of our very own Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner and especially Johnny Giles absolutely hated Clough. It wouldn't of mattered if Taylor was with him or not.

I often wondered whether he actually believed what he said in interviews and when talking to his players, or whether it was just one big wind up and act.

Can imagine him in his office with Taylor having a right giggle at the expense of everyone.

Eitherway... It was effective. He was very much like Marmite.

Just looking at his wiki page he wasnt a bad player either 251 goals in 274 apperances thats one hell of a great average!

Career cut short by bad injury when still very young so we don't know just how good he could have been. It's interesting to speculate as to whether he would have become the manager he was had his playing career continued.

I recently had a dig at an older poster on here because he said that football was better in his day and all the rest of it. I partially retract that now. The Clough Revie spat is something we just don't get now and its such a shame. These two men dislike each other but both have respect for one another and can put their egos aside for half an hour to have an articulate conversation. All we get these days is the very odd Benitez / Ferguson incident a few years ago and the back and forth interviews from Mourinho and Pep having a dig at each other.

Sir Alex Ferguson worked wonders at Aberdeen.

One does wonder how he would handle the little stuck up spoilt rich kids of todays football ........

I would like to think that he would have them washing his car on a sunday morning and then wash his neighbours as well if they moaned about it!

No doubt a great manager and also a gentlemen to boot although he never held back on making his thoughts clear to all in earshot

Shame it all went so Pete Tong towards the end

I recently had a dig at an older poster on here because he said that football was better in his day and all the rest of it. I partially retract that now. The Clough Revie spat is something we just don't get now and its such a shame. These two men dislike each other but both have respect for one another and can put their egos aside for half an hour to have an articulate conversation. All we get these days is the very odd Benitez / Ferguson incident a few years ago and the back and forth interviews from Mourinho and Pep having a dig at each other.

The difference back then, was Class. Not in a snobbery way... but people had a certain way of behaving. People had it. Although footballers and managers in the main were working class, they were mostly educated and articulate. Especially in front of the camera or in public.

Mourinho maybe a good manager but imho, he has no class whatsoever.

Arsene Wenger on the other hand does imho.

As for dealing with players who thought they were a bit special... interesting to hear what Cloughie said about Trevor Francis. Made me chuckle...

Not so sure about class and dignity behind closed doors though. I've heard many a story of cloughie handing out a punching on the training ground! I think he mellowed as he got older and the dreaded drink kicked in, allowing players to get away with things a little more. Probably another reason his success tailed off in later life.

Truely unique. A character we certainly could do with in today's plastic world of football.

Afraid that is not true, Clough did not respect Revie one bit, in fact the exact opposite. He often slated Revie for his work at Leeds through the newspapers and television. As soon as Clough got sacked at Leeds, Revie was straight on the scene to get revenge back on Clough. These two hated eachother professionally and personally.

One does wonder how he would handle the little stuck up spoilt rich kids of todays football ........

I would like to think that he would have them washing his car on a sunday morning and then wash his neighbours as well if they moaned about it!

No doubt a great manager and also a gentlemen to boot although he never held back on making his thoughts clear to all in earshot

Shame it all went so Pete Tong towards the end

Clough would not last six months in todays management. Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s players would take a bollocking and listen to the manager, nowadays player power is too strong. As soon as a group of players are unhappy and feel the gaffer is being hard on them its easy for them to work together to get the manager sacked. This is what would happen to Clough.

Brian was a motivational manager who could take average players and make them into strong will die hard players who wanted to win silverware and reach the top of the game. Pretty much all players that passed on after Clough did not find the same form under their new manager as they did with Clough. In the old days tactics were not a big thing, you could go out on a game and play 2-3-5, as it was basically go out and just play football. Clough would often go round each players individually and tell them what they had to do. Example would be he would tell his central defenders to clear the ball and protect the back four, the left back and right back would look to move the ball forward into the midfield. The wingers would cross the ball in the box, the centre midfielders would pass to the strikers and it was the strikers job to hit the ******* ball as soon as they had target on sight.

Simple as that for Clough, he was a genius and Mr Invincible at a certain point.

Not so sure about class and dignity behind closed doors though. I've heard many a story of cloughie handing out a punching on the training ground! I think he mellowed as he got older and the dreaded drink kicked in, allowing players to get away with things a little more. Probably another reason his success tailed off in later life.

Truely unique. A character we certainly could do with in today's plastic world of football.

He was once asked how he dealt with Roy Keane.

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard."

Clough would not last six months in todays management. Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s players would take a bollocking and listen to the manager, nowadays player power is too strong. As soon as a group of players are unhappy and feel the gaffer is being hard on them its easy for them to work together to get the manager sacked. This is what would happen to Clough.

I agree it's definately different now... but isn't that what happened at Leeds for Clough?

The players didn't like him, preffered Revie and wouldn't play for Clough.

Hense him only lasting a short time their.

I agree it's definately different now... but isn't that what happened at Leeds for Clough?

The players didn't like him, preffered Revie and wouldn't play for Clough.

Hense him only lasting a short time their.

Exactly, plus the fact Johnny Giles was an inch away from getting the job as manager and at the last second Clough got it.

Archived