IGNORED

New Ground

chalky

Following on from the ongoing TVG threat got me thinking about what the proposed stadium is supposed to look like again.....

There's 2 videos out on youtube.... This one,

This is the original one am I right? My thoughts.... Boring. A level lower tiered bowl encompassing the ground. 2 end stands are identical with see through roofs and the side stands similar (same height but one has an extra row of executive boxes) Would be very dissapointed with this.

And this one....

My thoughts...better. The lower tiered bowl isn't all the same level and I prefers the end stand not being see through. Looks better with "BRISTOL CITY" in the seats too. The shot at 56 seconds actually looks similar to the kop and their adjoining stand which I like. The thing is and the main reason for posting is that there are no great shots of the other 2 stands.... Does anyone have any? Is the other end stand identical?

I can't quite remember now but I'm guessing the club altered the design slightly.

I'm not a massive supporter of the new stadium (unless it comes with it safe standing) but out of the 2 the 2nd is sooo much better. Will this be the final design or will we have chance to express input into it???

The stadium is sank into the ground - as you walk in you will be confronted with a glass pane overlooking the entire stadium. The drinks areas I think also look onto the pitch. It's hard to be too unique as the stadium has key requirements to meet - but I think the plans look pretty good, and whilst not groundbreaking ( :smartass: ) is different enough to feel like our home and not an identikit.

All new build stadiums are rubbish

If the new stadium does happen then we have the chance to do something unique and exciting, but I know we won't

Instead the focus will be on the corporate boxes and doing it on the cheap identikit style

Happy to stay at Ashton Gate myself

Oh dear.. Ashton fate is an absolute shithole!!!

Anything is better than the out dated AG.

The sooner I can go to the loo/get a beer/refreshments without having to miss some of the game/queue for 15/20 minutes/fight through masses of fans at HT....the better.

BCAGFC

Each to their own... but i've never understood why people can't go 90 mins without stuffing their face with some of the worst and most overly priced 'food' and 'drink' on the planet.

Surely a few pints and a pie before or after the game in the local area is a better option?

And also better for the local trade and community?

Bar of chocolate or sweets in your pocket for half time, is always an option.

This is why i'm a fan of traditional old stadiums being 'tweeked'. Stadiums that are still smack bang in the middle of the community.

AV however way you look at it, is a green field site in the middle of no where.

Imho, traffic congestion will be just as bad, if not worse. Think Reading FC.

I really think the community feel will suffer.

I love hanging out in the bars on North Street before and after a game.

Don't think it will happen when AV is built.

New stadiums have the same experience of visiting a shopping mall... souless and boring.

But hey... as long as we can finance the dream of getting to the Prem . :surrender:

Each to their own... but i've never understood why people can't go 90 mins without stuffing their face with some of the worst and most overly priced 'food' and 'drink' on the planet.

Surely a few pints and a pie before or after the game in the local area is a better option?

And also better for the local trade and community?

Bar of chocolate or sweets in your pocket for half time, is always an option.

This is why i'm a fan of traditional old stadiums being 'tweeked'. Stadiums that are still smack bang in the middle of the community.

AV however way you look at it, is a green field site in the middle of no where.

Imho, traffic congestion will be just as bad, if not worse. Think Reading FC.

I really think the community feel will suffer.

I love hanging out in the bars on North Street before and after a game.

Don't think it will happen when AV is built.

New stadiums have the same experience of visiting a shopping mall... souless and boring.

But hey... as long as we can finance the dream of getting to the Prem . :surrender:

Quite right Spudski, we've got a beautifully situated stadium with the local pubs, being opposite the park etc.

Real traditional atmosphere on the approach to the ground, which, bar the savage destruction of The Wedlock's hasn't altered in the last 50 years. Ashton Gate and the areas around it are special places on match days.

More toilets are certainly needed at AG, but redeveloped stands could easily deal with this.

I'm fortunate that I can walk down to AG, or AV, but I don't envy those who have to take a car and will spend an hour getting out of a massive car park at the new stadium - if we get the hugely increased crowds that optimists forecast that is.

Quite right Spudski, we've got a beautifully situated stadium with the local pubs, being opposite the park etc.

Real traditional atmosphere on the approach to the ground, which, bar the savage destruction of The Wedlock's hasn't altered in the last 50 years. Ashton Gate and the areas around it are a special places on match days.

More toilets are certainly needed at AG, but redeveloped stands could easily deal with this.

I'm fortunate that I can walk down to AG, or AV, but I don't envy those who have to take a car and will spend an hour getting out of a massive car park at the new stadium - if we get the hugely increased crowds that optimists forecast that is.

It's all part of the match day experience for me. I have to travel an hour across town usually car sharing. Always leave 3 hrs before kick off. Gives us 2 hrs to enjoy the build up to the game. A few pints in the bars in North st. Meet up with mates and talk about the match and footy.

I really love the walk to the ground from their. Full of expectation and for me, tradition... something that we so easily sell off these day's...never to get back again.

Everyone I know, loves visiting the old traditional grounds around the country that are within the local community.

I don't know anyone that likes these new out of town stadiums.

AV is one mans dream. A way of financing his dream to get to the Prem.

He'll fly in from Geurnsey, go to the match, and fly out.

We are being told as fans that we have to have AV to survive. I'm sorry... I just don't fall for it.

We all know the EE and Williams can be improved.

Build 2 new stands.

Have 4 very different looking stands... each with their own atmosphere. Lets make it different...something that only belongs to BCFC without losing the feel and tradition.

Don't lose the whole matchday experience. I can go to the shopping mall with the missus anyday of the week.

Oh dear.. Ashton fate is an absolute shithole!!!

When I read comments like this I wonder if some people feel any connection with our Club at all, or simply wish to sit in a big, plastic ground watching anyone as long as it's the PL. It's not a shithole, it's our home. Yes it has some 'outdated' tendancies, but that gives it character. Of the many away grounds I've been too my favourite's are the more traditional grounds such as Molineux and Bramall Lane, hell I'd take Oakwell over the Ricoh every day of the week. Old grounds with character appear to be a dying breed, enjoy them while you still can before every game is held at a Madjeski clone.

When I read comments like this I wonder if some people feel any connection with our Club at all, or simply wish to sit in a big, plastic ground watching anyone as long as it's the PL. It's not a shithole, it's our home. Yes it has some 'outdated' tendancies, but that gives it character. Of the many away grounds I've been too my favourite's are the more traditional grounds such as Molineux and Bramall Lane, hell I'd take Oakwell over the Ricoh every day of the week. Old grounds with character appear to be a dying breed, enjoy them while you still can before every game is held at a Madjeski clone.

It seems to me, that location, location, location is the issue here.

The likes of Molineux and Oakwell have had their grounds pretty much rebuilt in recent years, so it's not like you sitting in old stands/stadiums, however they kept their location but with new infrastructure.

Personally I can see why the club want to move to AV, and I've been for it in the past, but if there's any way that we could remain at a rebuilt AG with the pitch turned 90degrees I'd much prefer that - as others have said, the surrounding areas make you feel part of the community and the local pubs and shops add to the experience.

Alas, I also understand that funding won't allow us to do that :-( which is a shame.

When it was announced , in November 2007 , that we would be moving to a new ground in Ashton Vale , I said at the time "I'll believe we're getting a new ground when I'm sat in it"

5 years down the line , I still think the same.

It seems to me, that location, location, location is the issue here.

The likes of Molineux and Oakwell have had their grounds pretty much rebuilt in recent years, so it's not like you sitting in old stands/stadiums, however they kept their location but with new infrastructure.

Personally I can see why the club want to move to AV, and I've been for it in the past, but if there's any way that we could remain at a rebuilt AG with the pitch turned 90degrees I'd much prefer that - as others have said, the surrounding areas make you feel part of the community and the local pubs and shops add to the experience.

Alas, I also understand that funding won't allow us to do that :-( which is a shame.

I deliberately picked grounds that have been redevloped to show that you cans till maintain character doing this. Villa Park is a fantastic ground and it shows that you can have a 40,000 seater that isn't a bowl or boring. St james Park whilst obviously a lot bigger than anything we could hope, or realistically aim, for is another example of this. Location is an interesting issue though. Getting a 20 minute tain from Brighton to the middle of the countryside with no pubs in site to watch a football match is not my idea of a good away day personally, but it appears that maybe these things are not as impotant to many anymore.

Molineux has only been redeveloped because the council compulsary purchased hundreds of terraced homes (also a pub :( ) around the ground, as Liverpool did for the Kemlyn Road stand.

AG is a very limited site unless the houses on Ashton Road/Raynes Road & the Brabys & Wickes sites were compulsary purchased by the council, we would then have a massive footprint for a new stadium.

But BCC won't go down that route and the cost of a new AG would probably be more than AV.

Conference facilites can bring in a lot of cash these days if promoted properly.

SLs vision is to make us self financing and staying at AG will not enable us to do that unless we cut our wage bill accordingly and that means bringing in poor players.......and we know poor players will not keep you in the championship.

BCAGFC

I really like the second design, I just really wish it could be built at ashton gate, but I understand why we can't. Haven't the club ever tried to buy up the houses behind the east end and the back of the atyeo? Seems a bit strange if they haven't.

I really like the second design, I just really wish it could be built at ashton gate, but I understand why we can't. Haven't the club ever tried to buy up the houses behind the east end and the back of the atyeo? Seems a bit strange if they haven't.

2nd design looks ten times better! Just a shame the video only shows the inside of half the ground. Would like to see whole ground before I make me mind up.

I like the second design because it is the modern version of ashton gate which keeps its character. There is one thing I would like to have, I would like to see the players entrance moved back to the williams like it used to be. Then it would make the Atyeo stand look better. Also I would like to see the away supporters in the atyeo and the whole of the east end open up to the city fans like it used to be. I would like to know the clubs plans on this. Something else I noticed on the video, football posts are square! they should be round! ... joke.

1:26 minutes shows the atyeo with the players entrance.

Archived