IGNORED

Mcinnes - Sack Or Back? Tough Call For Lansdown.

Robbored

After yesterdays shambles I heard from loads of City fans that its time to get rid of McInnes. The general view was that he's showed just how tactically naive he is epitimised by starting against a struggling Wolves team with one up front at home. Its not the first time he's done that either. Fans just see one up front at home as negative.

Many said he's done a Millen and not strengthen adequately during the summer even though he let several players go and signed several more players none of them have come good. In fact only 5 of his signings actually started the game yesterday. He also left our top scorer on the bench which quite frankly was an astounding decision. Its looking more likely that McInnes is out of his depth.

What does Steve Lansdown do? If he backs McInnes finacially during the Jan window and we sign more players how much faith will SL (and the fans ) have in Del's judgement? He failed during the summer to do what we all hoped he would do and bring in more quality. Would he do any better in January?

If McInnes gets sacked then it won't be just him that goes. He entire entourage would follow him out the door which would mean huge disruption and re-building within the club plus the finacial compensation that would cost the club. That said should City get relegated then thats £4m less in the confers and an exodus of players. The other question is who would take over? There aren't that many mangers available.

We had exactly these discussions when Millen was struggling and I said then that changing the manager is no gaurantee that things would improve and they haven't under McInnes. City are still struggling again.

Tough call and I'm glad I don't have make the decision.

As far as I can tell, we backed him, and hes bought in,ore dead wood than we let go, I mean right now not many would consider Cisse deadwood compared to Elliott would they? we needed a new core to the team, one goalscorer, and one left back, of those 8 positions, only 2 have been covered, hes bought in areas that were not required squandering SL's funds.

Sorry, but for me, weve wasted fo much on wages and loan signings (Elokobi) I cant see the different between him and Millen, Millen namely started one up front cos we didnt have the options we have now.

I really can't see much wrong with the squad available. Not a promotion squad maybe but certainly a squad that can mix it mid table. Im worried that it is purely a management/coaching issue. Do we stick with him a let him use us to learn his trade and maybe get the benefits down the line OR get an experienced manager in that can get a lot more out the squad available ??? I think the board will sack him !

I'm sure people will slate me for saying it but for all the good he has done he's done twice as much wrong. We'll back him for a while longer but with his record and our on field performances it's only a matter of time before he and his entourage need to get out.

I'm fine with the idea of Bristol City rebuilding and coming back stronger but this isn't rebuilding, rebuilding is not bringing in more crap players, putting in worse performances and seeing very little positives in loss. Come the end of the season if we're still under Mcinnes the club will be a League One club, we'll lose Cunningham, Heaton, Baldock and Adomah and be left with a husk of a team who will probably be a midtable League One team if we're lucky. At that point is Mcinnes going to be the man to rebuild.... I doubt it very much, the board will have had enough by then and realise we need a full rebuild, not the shoddy attempt we've had from Mcinnes.

As I have said before, the decision of whether or not to sack must be based on future projection not past analysis - whether or not he deserves to go is not relevant

Until and unless the Board believes the sack will lead to improvement the sack cannot be the right option - however, if he is sacked tomorrow then the Board will be due criticism for not sacking three weeks ago - if he is sacked in February, April or next October (in League 1) the Board will be due criticism for not having sacked him now.

Again - the worst of all outcomes (and to my mind by far the most likely) is that McInnes is backed now - backed again at great expense in January (another round of unsalable players on Championship wages) - we are relegated in May and McInnes is sacked in October after a mediocre start with the biggest and most expensive squad in League 1.

The biggest dilemma (yet again) is whether to gamble for Championship survival OR start preparing now for an austere future in the lower leagues for the foreseeable future

Whilst I am as gutted and as unhappy as anyone else who supports this club and I dearly want it to be the best.

Can I just point out if we did end up parting company with Del Boy and replace him with someone else - we will have had FIVE MANAGERS IN THE SPACE OF 2 SEASONS.

That, quite frankly, absolutely fking ridiculous.

Malcolm Allison always used to say you need to give a manager 3 years to finally sort a side and make it his own.

That ethos seems long to have been chucked out the window.

Have we become the Championship's Chelsea???

I'm practically going to copy and paste from another thread but, whatever the decision on McInnes, we urgently need someone behind the scenes ensuring a consistent strategy and direction of the club, a direction for improvement and consistently irrespective of managerial changes. Look at how West Brom have thrived since appointing Dan Ashworth.

Based on form and current record, McInnes certainly isn't proving on the pitch that he deserves to stay but I do think sacking the manager but we can't just try and get another short-term fix, which is what sacking the manager and appointing the new one without changing things behind the scenes will get us. Maybe a new manager will keep us up but, if they do, if nothing else changes we'll be back here again next year. Until the club actually come up with a plan and a direction for its future and appoints people to stay consistent to that, to I think we're always going to struggle...

Whilst I am as gutted and as unhappy as anyone else who supports this club and I dearly want it to be the best.

Can I just point out if we did end up parting company with Del Boy and replace him with someone else - we will have had FIVE MANAGERS IN THE SPACE OF 2 SEASONS.

That, quite frankly, absolutely fking ridiculous.

Malcolm Allison always used to say you need to give a manager 3 years to finally sort a side and make it his own.

That ethos seems long to have been chucked out the window.

Have we become the Championship's Chelsea???

Maybe, but how many things have Chelsea won by sacking the manager. I think out of all the clubs to compare us against, you probably chose the worst one to back up your argument.

Robbored, you're on the fence about sacking McInnes, and you were against the sacking of Millen. All fair enough of course.

But it begs the question of why oh why were you (and continue to be) so negative about our second most successful manager in anyone's lifetime? What we would give now for a manager who takes us to 4th, 10th and 10th in Championship with an overall win percentage of approx 40%.

'Changing the manager is no guarantee that things will improve'. Quite bloody right, and you should hang your head in shame.

Maybe, but how many things have Chelsea won by sacking the manager. I think out of all the clubs to compare us against, you probably chose the worst one to back up your argument.

Point taken, I was more thinking along the lines of I don't know anyone who doesn't think the recent sacking of Di Matteo and replacing with Rafa is nothing short of ludicrous.

Maybe I could have picked Mandaric - but you get my drift.

I think Del will be with us for a while yet, certainly until relegation is almost upon us and maybe even into a new L1 campaign.

Am I right in thinking there would then have to be a mass exodus, as the new rules on what you can spend come into force and I presume L1 budgets are even smaller?

Or do you get a bit of leeway of you're a relegated club?

Robbored, you're on the fence about sacking McInnes, and you were against the sacking of Millen. All fair enough of course.

But it begs the question of why oh why were you (and continue to be) so negative about our second most successful manager in anyone's lifetime? What we would give now for a manager who takes us to 4th, 10th and 10th in Championship with an overall win percentage of approx 40%.

'Changing the manager is no guarantee that things will improve'. Quite bloody right, and you should hang your head in shame.

Is it really necessary to start all this nonsense about RR/GJ every time RR posts. FFS move on.

Not that I really want this debate, I disagreed with him at the time but think subsequent events actually proved RR right about Gary Johnson. You can't separate our struggles in recent seasons from the terrible shape the team/youth set-up etc. was left in when he went.

I think we're all missing the point here.

If we are relegated, it will be an unmitigated disaster, for the club, the fans and the AV project.

Whether, or not, McInnes goes is Lansdown's call. RR is right - this is a tough call for Lansdown - because of his track record, he knows he has to get his next decision right, or we'll be playing League 1 football next season and for the foreseeable future.

Not only does Lansdown have a tough call to make, but he needs to make it quickly and not shirk from it. Time is fast running out and the team need to start on the road to recovery by Christmas or we can kiss goodbye to the Championship for the next 5-10 years.

Whether we succeed with McInnes, or another, I couldn't care less, but succeed we MUST.

Mr Lansdown - over to you - time to step up to the plate and either categorically state that McInnes is in it for the long term, or get rid NOW and GET ADVICE on the best man to bring in - then go get him and bankroll his wages for a couple of years to get us out of this mess.

After yesterday i have completely lost the faith in del boy. I genuinly wanted him to do well and was even feeling slightly positive about the game yesterday, but yet again he puts out a team that looks devoid of any shape or tactics, summed it up when a bunch of seaguls on the pitch had more formation than our lot! We need someone who can come in and get some fight into the players and put a game plan in place so they know what there doing, because for me del boy has no idea what his best team is or how to get them playing effectively. Hes tried but hes not up to the job, we need to someone with a bit of fight in asap...billy davies anyone?

After yesterday i have completely lost the faith in del boy. I genuinly wanted him to do well and was even feeling slightly positive about the game yesterday, but yet again he puts out a team that looks devoid of any shape or tactics, summed it up when a bunch of seaguls on the pitch had more formation than our lot! We need someone who can come in and get some fight into the players and put a game plan in place so they know what there doing, because for me del boy has no idea what his best team is or how to get them playing effectively. Hes tried but hes not up to the job, we need to someone with a bit of fight in asap...billy davies anyone?

Looks like someone like BD needs to come in and kick ass, right from the top to bottom. If the board don't like it, fvck'em.

14 months of complete tosh from the management team, he has been backed enough.

None of us really know that. It may be that we aren't prepared to pay the sort of wages to attract good quality Championship signings. Not saying that I know the root case of our problems - I definitely don't - but after Tinnion, Millen, the Coppell debacle and the way GJ ended it just might be that the fault lies elsewhere.

The big problem with our manager is that he signs players, but he doesn´t play them. Yesterday nearly all subs was signed by Del but he likes to play the other players!

We have a crap defence and Wilson has been here for 3 games now, but be will soon be back in Liverpool with no games.....It would have been ok if our defence was ok...But it´s crap!

Anderson and Morris is 2 other examples of Dels good signings...

I heard a rumour that Xavi, Messi and Caulker will be on loan for 5 games...But Del won´t start them.....because he is satisfied with Pearson, Taylor and Fontaine.....

Ok, Taylor does some good things, but he never scores. Could be nice if a striker scores sometimes!

Could say the best thing for the club to do is be relegated, sell 90% of the playing squad and just rebuild it on lower wages and start again.

Sell/release everyone except from Greg Cunningham (if he wants to stay which he probably won't), Cole Skuse and Joe Bryan.

Why do people think relegation would be a positive? We might go down again to the basement. With whatever is going on at our club, I would suggest that's more likely.

Why do people think relegation would be a positive? We might go down again to the basement. With whatever is going on at our club, I would suggest that's more likely.

Because every season we are just papering over the cracks thinking we have the chance. We have the same core of players we've had for a while now and it's not working.

I am confident we wouldn't drop into League Two as Steve L will back us enough to ensure that doesn't happen.

Looks like someone like BD needs to come in and kick ass, right from the top to bottom. If the board don't like it, fvck'em.

What concerns me about Billy Davies is that teams he manages always nose-dive just after he leaves which you could see as proof that he's doing brilliantly with poor groups of players or that he's an option for the short-term who doesn't really do much for the club's long-term planning. If it's the latter I'd say that's the last thing we need at the moment. I want us to stay up but I don't want another short-term quick fix.

I can see no possible way, other than sheer luck, in which rebuilding in the championship is going to work. Because we simply don't have the time. As we've seen, unless you've got a strong core in the championship you are going to struggle. And we won't be able to find that core in one summer. It'll take several. Hence, panic buys and the whole process starts again.

I genuinely think relegation would not be a disaster IF we took the correct steps. Take a few seasons to set up a young, confident, passing team.

I have always been in the in Del I trust camp. But after Brighton and yesterday games I'm swaying. Brighton we got lucky against that they did not go on to score more goals. A poor form club like Wolves went on and showed if you don't change you line up 2-0 down you will get punished.

We started yesterday with a line up to say to Wolves we are scared of you, and looking at that 3rd goal again and again just shows we were.

Why do we persist with this bollocks that to play the whining Aussie we need a 5 man midfield, he is shite and after I read that he said he didn't feel he had a bad game just proves that he should never play for us again.

We have two good attackers in Davies and Baldock, who were probably promised game time probably now seriously thinking about THEIR futures at our club.

D.Wilson came here for one reason and one reason only to play football. Liverpool will be thinking now like Caardiff why loan them players to sit them on the bench, most clubs send their players out to get match fitness. D.Wilson could be back in Liverpool now playing for their reserve's. We have probably knocked his confidence a bit watching that shambles playing and thinking he could not get a game.

As I said a lot of clubs will now be thinking against sending players to us simply because the only gain to them is freeing up a percentage of their wages.

I don't know about sacking him as that will cost a fortune, but we need at least to think about a DOF just to educate him how to change a game and make subs. How many did we make yesterday losing 4-1, 2 and that tells me he is happy with the other 9?

Archived