IGNORED

A Small Ask For A L'il City Fan - Please 'like' His Facebook Page

CotswoldRed

MODS: I appreciate this isn't football related, but PLEASE can we leave this here just for a short time?

Folks I've been away from the forum for a long time. I've been away from Ashton Gate for a long time too. Sometimes in life things ARE far more important. In the last few months I've been busy with many things including spending lots of time with my 9-year-old little boy. He suffers with an awful condition called Muscular Dystrophy and he now needs lots of support and increasingly will do. His muscles are very weak and walking, even now, is a very difficult and often risky challenge.

Why do I mention this? Well, I've never been a facebook person myself, I've never seen the point until now, although I'm sure lots of you use it. I'm now up and running with it and have created a page for my son, John, who is a big City fan. Unfortunately bringing him to the football now is something that is so difficult for him (its very tiring and he gets cold so easily) - its a shame we haven't got the new stadium to make things a bit more comfortable but thats another conversation.

We now need to raise £20,000 for a new powered all-terrain wheelchair. John might be weak but his aspirations are the same as any other child. The NHS offer £750 towards a chair so this doesn't even come close. I'm not asking you for any money (although I'd never say no to anyone). All I'm asking is that you 'like' John's facebook page to give his cause a bit more visibility. As fellow City fans I'm sure he'd be really chuffed if just a small gesture from a few of you could help him in some way get over the line :)

If you could like his page I'd be over the moon.

Thanks folks

Paul

Find out more about John and his brave little life here ...

www.facebook.com/gojohnnygofundraising

Thought we'd not seen much of you recently CR, now understandable as to why. Im not a friendfacer but certainly know plenty who are, i will happily refer the page onto them. Very best of luck with raising the funds. Perhaps you could approach the club or ST to help raise your profile a bit.

Liked! ... All the best John, perhaps the mods can pin this for atleast a short while so this can gain maximum exposure, it's one of them causes which truely render the Football obsolete.

As an Aside CR do you have a Paypal or a link where I could donate, would like to play my small part for a fellow red!

I only got a facebook page to keep in touch with my travelling offspring - that's my excuse anyway for only having 12 'friends' (including one of our cats)

This shows it can be a force for good so more than happy to add my 'like' and I'll get E.Turnip and Sophs.to do likewise, and tell their friends - they seem to have a lot more than me!!

Your absence on here had been noted - hope circumstances, and the weather, improve to allow you and John to return to the Gate in the not too distant future.

Liked! ... All the best John, perhaps the mods can pin this for atleast a short while so this can gain maximum exposure, it's one of them causes which truely render the Football obsolete.

As an Aside CR do you have a Paypal or a link where I could donate, would like to play my small part for a fellow red!

Thanks to everyone and for the very kind words. John's having lots of fun watching the likes tick up! Just knowing that other people know about John is, in itself, a real boost.

Bookend: You're a very kind chap. At the moment we are working towards getting everything in place for bringing funds together. We have a bank account approved with HSBC but we're waiting for all the details to come through. As we cannot register as a charity (causes for individuals do not qualify) we can't take advantage of facilities like JustGiving. We might be able to piggy back onto the School Association charity at John's school which would help but that's a while away.

I have a Paypal account which you are more than welcome to use. I would be very much humbled. The account email address is - ebay@pauldickson.co.uk

Thanks again to everyone.

Paul.

I'd be happy to pin this for you if you would like. Sometimes though I feel a topic gets more exposure if people write on it so it gets bumped back to the top.

I hope you and John can get a result from this. This forum is a great place when we all work together, every little helps and all that. Good luck and keep us informed please.

I'm happy with that. I'll leave a message for the other Mods and Admin so they are aware too.

Pinned & Liked :)

:laugh: Something get lost in the post there guys..? :doh:

Ironically though, it being pinned did make me look in.. So who knows :dunno:

Am another without the book of faces Paul, sorry, but will be sure to point others in the right direction.

Wish you and your family all the best. Good luck.

Cotswold, can you look up Darren Wright Foundation, they're a Bristol based charity and do lots of fund raising for disabled children. Am sure if they can help, they will.

I know only too well from my 11 years of caring for Marchant (the lad in my picture) how bloody hard it is to get anything out of anyone that isn't the basic bog standard thing. Even though I no longer look after him, we are still close, and he is doing really well at sixth form now, having passed 10 GCSE's with either an A or an A*

Hope your efforts pay off in the end, you only have to look at kids like Corin (another Bristol disabled child) http://www.facebook.com/CorinsFirstSteps?ref=ts&fref=ts to see the things that can be done when it comes to fund raising for disabled children. They might be worth speaking to as well, although I believe it's this week that he is finally getting his operation, so they might be busy!

Good luck, keep us posted, and if there's anything I can do to help let me know, disabled kids will always hold a soft spot in my heart, for obvious reasons :)

i scrapped my facebook account as i didnt like it,just re-opened to like this.

good luck with your fundraising,ive no doubt the football community will do wonders to help.

i once took part in a similar collection campaign for a young lad who needed one of these special chairs to get round banger racing circuits. we raised a fair old chunk when a charity out of the blue donated the chair he needed. the father tried to return the monies but the overall response was to take the kid on the holiday of his life which he did.

i sincerely hope you have similar luck :thumbsup:

Archived