IGNORED

A Small Ask For A L'il City Fan - Please 'like' His Facebook Page

CotswoldRed

MODS: I appreciate this isn't football related, but PLEASE can we leave this here just for a short time?

Folks I've been away from the forum for a long time. I've been away from Ashton Gate for a long time too. Sometimes in life things ARE far more important. In the last few months I've been busy with many things including spending lots of time with my 9-year-old little boy. He suffers with an awful condition called Muscular Dystrophy and he now needs lots of support and increasingly will do. His muscles are very weak and walking, even now, is a very difficult and often risky challenge.

Why do I mention this? Well, I've never been a facebook person myself, I've never seen the point until now, although I'm sure lots of you use it. I'm now up and running with it and have created a page for my son, John, who is a big City fan. Unfortunately bringing him to the football now is something that is so difficult for him (its very tiring and he gets cold so easily) - its a shame we haven't got the new stadium to make things a bit more comfortable but thats another conversation.

We now need to raise £20,000 for a new powered all-terrain wheelchair. John might be weak but his aspirations are the same as any other child. The NHS offer £750 towards a chair so this doesn't even come close. I'm not asking you for any money (although I'd never say no to anyone). All I'm asking is that you 'like' John's facebook page to give his cause a bit more visibility. As fellow City fans I'm sure he'd be really chuffed if just a small gesture from a few of you could help him in some way get over the line :)

If you could like his page I'd be over the moon.

Thanks folks

Paul

Find out more about John and his brave little life here ...

www.facebook.com/gojohnnygofundraising

Paul. I hope you got my PM let me know.

Anyway I have something I would like to donate that any City fan would want. At Gerry Gow's testimonial dinner last season I was very kindly given two signed (by Gerry) Arsenal away in 76 shirts.

I'm not sure how you would start an auction or even if the mods would allow it, however I am happy to give one of them up to raise some money for John.

Let me know DM/RedM if we can do something on here and I will send the shirt back home!

Cotswold, can you look up Darren Wright Foundation, they're a Bristol based charity and do lots of fund raising for disabled children. Am sure if they can help, they will.

I know only too well from my 11 years of caring for Marchant (the lad in my picture) how bloody hard it is to get anything out of anyone that isn't the basic bog standard thing. Even though I no longer look after him, we are still close, and he is doing really well at sixth form now, having passed 10 GCSE's with either an A or an A*

Hope your efforts pay off in the end, you only have to look at kids like Corin (another Bristol disabled child) http://www.facebook.com/CorinsFirstSteps?ref=ts&fref=ts to see the things that can be done when it comes to fund raising for disabled children. They might be worth speaking to as well, although I believe it's this week that he is finally getting his operation, so they might be busy!

Good luck, keep us posted, and if there's anything I can do to help let me know, disabled kids will always hold a soft spot in my heart, for obvious reasons :)

Dolls. Thank you so much for responding. That's really helpful.

We have been in contact with quite a few charities like the ones you've suggested and some have been more positive than others. We have some leads which may come to fruition while others insist on specified chairs that don't meet John's needs.

John has test driven quite a few chairs and most are unable to climb a very short grass slope in the park at the end of our road! There are only 3 chairs available that will do this - all over £16,000. If it won't climb a slope it certainly won't get him through the woods or over the fields!

I'll keep you all updated with progress. We might have even secured a few thousand pounds from a charity this week but I won't get too excited it until I know its confirmed.

i scrapped my facebook account as i didnt like it,just re-opened to like this.

good luck with your fundraising,ive no doubt the football community will do wonders to help.

i once took part in a similar collection campaign for a young lad who needed one of these special chairs to get round banger racing circuits. we raised a fair old chunk when a charity out of the blue donated the chair he needed. the father tried to return the monies but the overall response was to take the kid on the holiday of his life which he did.

i sincerely hope you have similar luck :thumbsup:

What a positive story, Redsquirrel.

Cheers.

Paul. I hope you got my PM let me know.

Anyway I have something I would like to donate that any City fan would want. At Gerry Gow's testimonial dinner last season I was very kindly given two signed (by Gerry) Arsenal away in 76 shirts.

I'm not sure how you would start an auction or even if the mods would allow it, however I am happy to give one of them up to raise some money for John.

Let me know DM/RedM if we can do something on here and I will send the shirt back home!

Goodness me REDOXO. Whoa! Your kindness is leaving me speechless.

You've already been fantastic with your significant Paypal donation. Ever since John was diagnosed in 2004 the concept of charity and giving really has become something close to me, but I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

I have a little boy smiling across his face now I've just told him about you. Which is a great thing as he's unwell at the moment. Thank you.

Only problem is, he wants me to bid on the Gow shirt! I don't think he quite gets it :)

Re. an auction. I'm not sure how best to do this. I'll leave it to others to suggest this. Not sure if the club ebay auction page would be a possibility?

I posted yesterday with 58 likes on John's site. I didn't know how many of you would use facebook or even whether, perhaps, a dozen or so might click 'like'.

Less than 24 hours later we have over 100 more likes from the forum, donations and the possibility of a shirt auction.

Loyalties aside, I've always thought this is the friendliest, most informative, best run fans forum on the internet. All of you guys have just proven that's exactly right.

Best wishes folks.

Paul, Angela Hannah & John xxx

You thought about putting this on the Rovers forum? Fans have a habit of coming together for something like this. Just a thought mate.

I don't have a login over there. If anyone wants to post it, I'm really grateful.

Thanks again to everyone.

Paul.

One guy wants to make a donation, does CR have a Paypal account or something?

Several very kind people have asked about donations.

The GoJohnnyGo bank account will be set up with HSBC within a few days but we don't have an account number yet until the paperwork gets through the system. Cheques could be made out to GoJohnnyGo and I can provide a forwarding address if anyone wants to PM me. Cheques could then be deposited once the account is active.

The other option in the short term is to use the following paypal account - ebay@pauldickson.co.uk

The Facebook page will have all the bank details etc posted clearly once we have them.

If anyone is wondering why it can't be made simpler by using Justgiving etc, we are unable to use this as we are not allowed to register as a charity as the appeal only benefits one individual.

Thanks again

Paul..

got a little un with autism,nowhere near what your little boy suffers but feel the pain of not being able to do things you would love to do with him,have liked and good luck with the fundraising

A very close friend has an autistic child. On a day to day basis that is quite a challenge and I am in awe of them as parents for their abilty to hold it together.

It really is a 24 hour effort with barely any of it asleep either. Having said that, their boy is so loving and enjoys his cuddles. A real blessing he is.

Best wishes

Paul..

To receive brilliant support from Gasheads, both facebook likes and donations, I am really touched.

I have no axe to grind with them, other than friendly rivalry - I'm too old for that now (even though my Dad is from the dark side).

However, this weekend I shall be rooting for them against York. Anyone who is willing to help John gets my support :)

Thanks guys.

To receive brilliant support from Gasheads, both facebook likes and donations, I am really touched.

I have no axe to grind with them, other than friendly rivalry - I'm too old for that now (even though my Dad is from the dark side).

However, this weekend I shall be rooting for them against York. Anyone who is willing to help John gets my support :)

Thanks guys.

I'll copy this onto their forum if you want ?

Archived