IGNORED

From The Gas Site

Esmond Million's Bung

whats got up your ass?

I never said that I would use those players mentioned did I?

I said I could make an in depth list just by using football manager

it might have escaped your attention but the thread is about non league players and the way that in the past the gas especially have profited big style from that particular source and we have mainly signed overpaid shitty journeymen and when we have dipped into that particular market in the main we ended up with more shit. ergo the conclusion must be our scouts have been shit and the gas scouts have unearthed masses of talent that they managed to cash in on.

The club and some fans have this superior attitude about looking towards the lower divisions and the non league and maybe that is because of our shitty past record in that area, so the point is perhaps just perhaps if the highlighted portion of the op is correct, DMC and the board have finally decided to rectify that particular past oversight and surely that must be a good thing, typical snide comments from people I assume happy for us to continue quest to be the biggest rest home for shitty journeymen.

Sheldon if you can't remember that player does not exist...............................and that is my point, we have missed out big style in the past and as I said wasted millions on journeymen, we really do seem to have a superior attitude to non league players, just read some of the replies.

Sorry Mr Bung, i at least deserve a Whooooosh for that

So what you mean is we keep signing non- footballing league players

when we really should be at least looking at non-league football players ? :colder:

it might have escaped your attention but the thread is about non league players and the way that in the past the gas especially have profited big style from that particular source and we have mainly signed overpaid shitty journeymen and when we have dipped into that particular market in the main we ended up with more shit. ergo the conclusion must be our scouts have been shit and the gas scouts have unearthed masses of talent that they managed to cash in on.

The club and some fans have this superior attitude about looking towards the lower divisions and the non league and maybe that is because of our shitty past record in that area, so the point is perhaps just perhaps if the highlighted portion of the op is correct, DMC and the board have finally decided to rectify that particular past oversight and surely that must be a good thing, typical snide comments from people I assume happy for us to continue quest to be the biggest rest home for shitty journeymen.

I've got nothig against scouting non-league players but we've rarely got one thats turned into a gem due to the poor scouting set up here (which is being addressed)

but alot of who you have mentioned are in non league for a reason and if we went out and signed them I qould question it having paid alot of money and been burnt with John Akindee recently,

I'd rather go down the peterborough route nad loan them in to see if they are any good rather then sign them and hope they may make it as a footballer,

But those over 23 you have to question why they are still at that level if they can do a job higher, Its rare to find the next ian wright or ian rush these days,

For the younger lads its much better to take them from set ups like Jamie Shores/Glenn Hoddles or Brian Tinnions acadmeny then from plucking them from teams like gateshead or the bankrupt truro city,

For a start they are recieveing a much better level of coaching and playing against some of the best youth sides in the country rather then the south devon league 2 or what ever it is down there,

1).I've got nothig against scouting non-league players but we've rarely got one thats turned into a gem due to the poor scouting set up here (which is being addressed)

2).but alot of who you have mentioned are in non league for a reason and if we went out and signed them I qould question it having paid alot of money and been burnt with John Akindee recently,

3).I'd rather go down the peterborough route nad loan them in to see if they are any good rather then sign them and hope they may make it as a footballer,

4).But those over 23 you have to question why they are still at that level if they can do a job higher, Its rare to find the next ian wright or ian rush these days,

5).For the younger lads its much better to take them from set ups like Jamie Shores/Glenn Hoddles or Brian Tinnions acadmeny then from plucking them from teams like gateshead or the bankrupt truro city,

6).For a start they are recieveing a much better level of coaching and playing against some of the best youth sides in the country rather then the south devon league 2 or what ever it is down there,

1). Hopefully

2). You know that as fact?

3). Fine but you need to sign them first

4). Ever heard of a guy called Tony Book?

5). Let's start doing it then

6). Again you know that as fact?

Just to show you, what our superior attitude to non and lower league players has cost us, I have added a list. One day someday somebody might make a list of overpaid journeymen that have cost us a fortune and gave little in return + the 2 strikers we have recently ****** up and lost shedloads on.

Paul Randall - From Frome Town-Sold to Stoke City-£180,000

Archie Stephens - From Melksham-Sold to Middlesborough-£300,000

Marcus Stewart - Rejected by us sold to Huddersfield-£1.6 mil

Gary Penrice - From Mangotsfield-Sold to Watford-£560,000

Nigel Martyn - From St Blazey-Sold to Palace-£1 mil

Nicky Tanner - From Mangotsfield-Sold to Liverpool-£22,000

Devon White- From Boston United-Sold Cambridge-£120,000

Barry Hayles - From Stevenage-Sold to Fulham-£2.6 mil

Nathan Ellington - From Walton & Hershaw-Sold to Wigan-£1.6 mil

Junior Agogo - From Barnet - Sold to Forest £1 mil

Mustapha Carayol - From Lincoln-Sold to Middlesborough-£600,000

Jason Roberts - Signed for the gas permanently after we had pissed him off so much whilst he was on loan-Sold to West Brom-£2.7 mil

Ricky Lambert - Signed from Rochdale-Sold to Southampton-£1.1 mil

1). Hopefully

2). You know that as fact?

3). Fine but you need to sign them first

4). Ever heard of a guy called Tony Book?

5). Let's start doing it then

6). Again you know that as fact?

Just to show you, what our superior attitude to non and lower league players has cost us, I have added a list. One day someday somebody might make a list of overpaid journeymen that have cost us a fortune and gave little in return + the 2 strikers we have recently ****** up and lost shedloads on.

Paul Randall - From Frome Town-Sold to Stoke City-£180,000

Archie Stephens - From Melksham-Sold to Middlesborough-£300,000

Marcus Stewart - Rejected by us sold to Huddersfield-£1.6 mil

Gary Penrice - From Mangotsfield-Sold to Watford-£560,000

Nigel Martyn - From St Blazey-Sold to Palace-£1 mil

Nicky Tanner - From Mangotsfield-Sold to Liverpool-£22,000

Devon White- From Boston United-Sold Cambridge-£120,000

Nathan Ellington - From Walton & Hershaw-Sold to Wigan-£1.6 mil

Junior Agogo - From Barnet - Sold to Forest £1 mil

Mustapha Carayol - From Lincoln-Sold to Middlesborough-£600,000

Jason Roberts - Signed for the gas permanently after we had pissed him off so much whilst he was on loan-Sold to West Brom-£2.7 mil

Ricky Lambert - Signed from Rochdale-Sold to Southampton-£1.1 mil

I know Jamie shore provides fantastic coaching you may of heard of two players recently coming from there called Jack Butland and Joe Morell

Its all good listing rovers players who they signed from non-league but thats rovers not city its the club you need to question not me,

As I've said I'm all for signing non league players but our track record is extremely poor I can only think of one non-league player we signed that actually did anything and thats Steve Phillips,

And where's all this got them? 91st in the football league, playing in a ramshackle ground infront of 4000 fans. If only we were more like them.

Yes...but look where it got Geoff Dunford, he was driving around the wood in a Porche when he was a kid, you cant tell me selling milk was that profitable !!!!

Stevenage are now in a higher division than Rovers , just goes to show how fortunes can change relativley quickly in Football.

Did we piss off Roberts ? It was his idea to chip off to play for Grenada when we were trying to gain promotion.

I don't know why people are getting so arsey about this thread and the list posted. Even if the bloke who came up with the original list pulled names out of a hat, it'd still be (apparently) better than our non-league scouting network. If we signed every player on that list (assuming its genuine) under 20 we'd probably find 1 or 2 would become good championship players, with us making a modest profit on another 2 or 3 selling them at a lower level. Surely it's worth the risk?

I don't know why people are getting so arsey about this thread and the list posted. Even if the bloke who came up with the original list pulled names out of a hat, it'd still be (apparently) better than our non-league scouting network. If we signed every player on that list (assuming its genuine) under 20 we'd probably find 1 or 2 would become good championship players, with us making a modest profit on another 2 or 3 selling them at a lower level. Surely it's worth the risk?

not at the moment with the wage bill and loses as they are it isn't,

We need to make sure we have a good enough team to compete (and by that I mean mid-table) in the championship while bringing loses under control,

Not recklessly spending on players who could be good in 3 or 4 years time, we need to trust our youth set up more now its been devloped and the coaching has been looked at,

in otherwords we need to do a blackpool/swansea

I know Jamie shore provides fantastic coaching you may of heard of two players recently coming from there called Jack Butland and Joe Morell

Its all good listing rovers players who they signed from non-league but thats rovers not city its the club you need to question not me,

As I've said I'm all for signing non league players but our track record is extremely poor I can only think of one non-league player we signed that actually did anything and thats Steve Phillips,

I will make this easy, the highlighted portion and not the list on the op is actually the point, I was trying to find out whether or not some of the ITK crowd could shed any light on this, because as you actually said our track record is extremely poor and if there is truth to the op then belatedly the club are actually doing something about it, I didn't want snide comments about football manager.

Very true and we are still signing very expensive and shitty journeymen.

and posting record losses mainly because of our 18 mil + wage bill.

I know. The whole point of our fancy youth system, back at its inception was to avcoid having squad players on high wages. Players breaking through as first teamers would have been a bonus.

We lost site of that under Johnson and his "clubs in the bag" mantra and for whatever reason have carried on with an non sustainable system of signing expensive crappy cast offs, even on loan.

In my view, better the devil you know when it comes to deciding who takes up a squad space out of a youngster and a non-league player.

I know. The whole point of our fancy youth system, back at its inception was to avcoid having squad players on high wages. Players breaking through as first teamers would have been a bonus.

We lost site of that under Johnson and his "clubs in the bag" mantra and for whatever reason have carried on with an non sustainable system of signing expensive crappy cast offs, even on loan.

In my view, better the devil you know when it comes to deciding who takes up a squad space out of a youngster and a non-league player.

So you are advocating more of the same? because that has really worked well for us, we have even added to our journeyman list since the summer.

Archived