IGNORED

From The Gas Site

Esmond Million's Bung

I believe Wes was indeed offered a job with your lot and after much soul searching couldnt bring himself to work for the 'Enemy'.

As for the spotting of non league talent, I believe we (Rovers) dont even use scouts at present we use agents to find players! ( Madness) the sooner rovers get back to doing things how we used to the better.

As pointed out we brought for peanuts and sold for gold , paid low wages and reaped relative success ( ajpt final and championship in 1990) a run in what is now the championship and regular flirtations with promotion back there after, untill we started to sign relativley big signings on big wages starting with players like Mickey Evans and your hero Scott Jones! since Ellington theres really been no one (Carayol was a signing that came with Buckle wasnt really scouted as such)

With the FFP rules Rovers and city need to make the most of all the local talent and the up coming non leaguers , there wages will be much cheaper so the punt of say 100- 150k is well worth it

apart from the early 80's Bristol football has surely never been at such a low , worring times ahead unless the clubs change there ways IMO

I believe Wes was indeed offered a job with your lot and after much soul searching couldnt bring himself to work for the 'Enemy'.

As for the spotting of non league talent, I believe we (Rovers) dont even use scouts at present we use agents to find players! ( Madness) the sooner rovers get back to doing things how we used to the better.

As pointed out we brought for peanuts and sold for gold , paid low wages and reaped relative success ( ajpt final and championship in 1990) a run in what is now the championship and regular flirtations with promotion back there after, untill we started to sign relativley big signings on big wages starting with players like Mickey Evans and your hero Scott Jones! since Ellington theres really been no one (Carayol was a signing that came with Buckle wasnt really scouted as such)

With the FFP rules Rovers and city need to make the most of all the local talent and the up coming non leaguers , there wages will be much cheaper so the punt of say 100- 150k is well worth it

apart from the early 80's Bristol football has surely never been at such a low , worring times ahead unless the clubs change there ways IMO

Thanks for that.

Edit:-

You raise an interesting point many clubs seem to just use 'agents' as their main source of player recruitment, that is really beyond belief that clubs and managers whose fate rests in the hands of the 11 players he puts out on the field, rely on the parasites whose only interest is their fee, certainly not whether the player is in fact good enough, truly mind boggling really.

Looks like someone's been spending a lot of time on Football Manager.

I was thinking that to.

i could do an indepth list like that just from playing football manager

It is a real bugbear of mine when people make these sort of comments.

EMB's opening post fills me with intrigue and deserves some decent debate (as Jordan has said).

Just because someone has listed a number of players it doesn't mean they play Football Manager and have used that as their source.

This Wes fella over at the Gappers seems to have the right idea for his club and the names on there will most definitely not have been sourced from a Computer game. I've posted a number of player names on here in the past whom I've suggested City should be interested in or at least take a look at. None of my knowledge of these players has ever come from a computer game, they come from an enthusiastic interest in football at all levels of the game.

If The Gappers were to take on board some of Wes' suggestions they might be in a decent place. Some of those on his list are exactly what they should be looking at with financial hardship abound.

For what it's worth, I also firmly believe that City need to be looking at lower level football a lot closer, as has been stated by some on this thread. We need to look for young players from all across the region who for one reason or another haven't quite made it to a 'big club' yet. A number of Wes' players have had trials at Prem clubs, but just because they haven't made it there it doesn't mean they won't be good enough for us. For many reasons young players either don't get spotted or fluff their lines at their first opportunity or even find the competition at Prem clubs to fierce. It doesn't mean they are no good just because they find themselves in non-league football. I would argue that once beyond 20 or 21 it's probaby too late, but there are plenty of teenagers out there who've got the ability to play at our level but haven't found the opportunity yet.

I cannot reveal any sources but I know for a fact that City have not been good enough at this in recent years. I also know for a fact though that things are changing and that City as a club now realise the importance of picking up young local talent when they are cheap. This is one of the area's which was spoken about at length at the recent Q&A - with the onset of FFP it will be vital for us to grown our own, rather than having to pay inflated fees and wages to outsiders. The club are taking this very seriously and a lot of work is going on to create a wider and more efficient scouting network, together with lots of work going on within the Academy to make sure that once we get these players on board they are provided with the right coaching.

It will be a slow burn and results will not be immediate but the future of the club lies in this type of initiative - we must spot local talent early and nurture it through our Academy - and I can assure everyone on here that this process has very much kicked off.

So, people shouldn't be so quick to knock posts such as EMB's regarding this, our future lies with realising local talent and it's exactly the type of players mentioned that clubs at NPC, L1 and L2 level should be taking an interest in.

None of those players listed would cost any money (some may cost the price of a bag of footballs and drinks bottles!), so even if only 1 or 2 came good out of the 20 or so listed, the club are onto a winner.

Can I also add a couple of points:

It is incredibly simplistic to just argue that Rovers' current position is because they simply scour the non league for their signings. Their most successful side was certainly when they did this (Nigel Martyn and Gary Penrice to name but two) now they appear a rag tag collection of journeymen has beens and kids who never will be and their current scouting system is patently even worse than ours.

I'd strongly argue that this method has to be a part of any successful strategy, there probably aren't enough decent footballers in the entire South West to fill a whole side at Championship level but a strong academy, a scouting system picking up every prospect from Cornwall to Gloucestershire and a much smarter transfer policy (more Adomahs and Cunninghams, less Hunts and Styvars) where every pound spent is evaluated in advance on its' likely cost is the way forward.

My dream would be for us to replicate Athletic Bilbao, a side comprised entirely of players from the region that they represent, this is done by a phenomenal scouting and coaching system and a deliberate policy that forbids any non Basque player, we'll never get to that extreme but as a mission statement committing to say, 25% of the first team squad of 24 being local or home produced would help to restore the current apparent disconnect with supporters.

Can I also add a couple of points:

It is incredibly simplistic to just argue that Rovers' current position is because they simply scour the non league for their signings. Their most successful side was certainly when they did this (Nigel Martyn and Gary Penrice to name but two) now they appear a rag tag collection of journeymen has beens and kids who never will be and their current scouting system is patently even worse than ours.

I'd strongly argue that this method has to be a part of any successful strategy, there probably aren't enough decent footballers in the entire South West to fill a whole side at Championship level but a strong academy, a scouting system picking up every prospect from Cornwall to Gloucestershire and a much smarter transfer policy (more Adomahs and Cunninghams, less Hunts and Styvars) where every pound spent is evaluated in advance on its' likely cost is the way forward.

My dream would be for us to replicate Athletic Bilbao, a side comprised entirely of players from the region that they represent, this is done by a phenomenal scouting and coaching system and a deliberate policy that forbids any non Basque player, we'll never get to that extreme but as a mission statement committing to say, 25% of the first team squad of 24 being local or home produced would help to restore the current apparent disconnect with supporters.

Exactly the point, many gas fans added on their version of this thread that the rot set in for them when successive managers ended what had become a reasonably successful system and period for them when they abandoned the scouring for local, non league and lower league talent and started recruiting overpaid shitty journeymen.

it is also needs to be remembered at the height of their system flourishing we couldn't buy a win against them.

As I said I know it was many years ago but I know for a fact an ex pro with links to both Bristol clubs recommended Shaun Taylor to BCFC when he was at St Blazey and never even got a reply.

Edit:-

But as you say the key to the overall success will ultimately the coaching.

Archived