IGNORED

From The Gas Site

Esmond Million's Bung

I will make this easy, the highlighted portion and not the list on the op is actually the point, I was trying to find out whether or not some of the ITK crowd could shed any light on this, because as you actually said our track record is extremely poor and if there is truth to the op then belatedly the club are actually doing something about it, I didn't want snide comments about football manager.

my point was for evey one of those in depth lists another can easily be made from a computer game, or anyone,

Take Jock for example he was on here listing scottish players who we should sign or who would go on and play at a high level because they were too good for us,

Like the 2 down at the gas at the moment,

Its easy to produce that was my point not making a snide comment,

The club are going the right way about things infact we've signed 12 (is it?) for the devlopment squad who are not wanted by other clubs including Tobi Ajala from Hayes & Yeading a couple of Yanks a few who havent made it at other clubs like King Battersby Jones and Dobie and that lad from so we are going in the right direction,

We need to start trusting the new staff more, They can't be doing alot wrong as the devlopment squad are flying at the moment,

The other good thing is they are only offered short deals giving them time to impress to earn a longer deal and time for us to see if they are any good,

not at the moment with the wage bill and loses as they are it isn't,

We need to make sure we have a good enough team to compete (and by that I mean mid-table) in the championship while bringing loses under control,

Not recklessly spending on players who could be good in 3 or 4 years time, we need to trust our youth set up more now its been devloped and the coaching has been looked at,

in otherwords we need to do a blackpool/swansea

How much do you think it's going to cost us in wages to sign a 17 year old playing on the 8th rung of the football ladder?! I'm not suggesting we sign these kids instead of those required but as well as. Some lad at Bideford Town would probably jump at the chance to sign for a relatively local team and we wouldn't even have to pay relocation costs. I just don't understand the cynicism

How much do you think it's going to cost us in wages to sign a 17 year old playing on the 8th rung of the football ladder?! I'm not suggesting we sign these kids instead of those required but as well as. Some lad at Bideford Town would probably jump at the chance to sign for a relatively local team and we wouldn't even have to pay relocation costs. I just don't understand the cynicism

not wages but it would involve compansation and a tribunal fee, now one player not a problem but 10 or so players on that list adds up,

Problem is you know and I know in all probability because of our plight they will replaced with more of the same.

I don't think we will to be honest thats why we missed out on bikey cisse keogh etc,

the days of paying 15k to a avg player are gone at ag, its the reson we've invested so much in the devlopment squad

Problem is you know and I know in all probability because of our plight they will replaced with more of the same

I dont think we will be signing so many big name journeymen much in the future, although I wasn't there this appears to be one of the issues raised last thursday and it seems the club is now going to focus more on bringing younger players through.

I don't see the problem, there are players out there in the non-league who could come good in league football - but not that many who will do really well. It depends how far you are prepared to speculate. Most Conference players would survive in League 2 or even League 1 but the finances are not so different except for a few clubs. That said, I mentioned on here a few years ago that Matt Tubbs was worth a punt and he's had a near million pound move to Bournemouth (which was probably the cash we stumped up for Pitman if truth be told).

In the Championship we may get lucky and get one gem from 20 or 30 possibles. Of course if we had a good scouting network the odds might get better. Slabber at Chelmsford has impressed me lots when I've seen him and he'd do a job in League 2 I'm sure but Championship? No idea.

This thred is making me laugh, shall we do it the Rovers way or the City way???

Rovers way - sign lots of non league players and then sell them on at great profit = 4000 gates, bottom of 4th division.

City way - sign bigger name, experienced players = 13000 gates and 6 consecutive Championship seasons.

Mmmmm decisions, decisions

We also missed out on Paul Bodin, I saw him a few times for Bath City and he looked quality, we played them in the FA Cup and he impressed in both games, but again we made no effort to sign him. McIndoe looked good for Yeovil when I saw him in the Conference.

Wigan saw Steve Cotteril have a good game once......

I actually saw Bodin about a dozen times and he always impressed. Amazed by some of the negative attitudes here, Non League can be a good source of players both to boost the team and finances if sold. For a Club in our position it should be where we are scouting, signing endless journeymen is not sustainable, as recent accounts seem to confirm.

A local lad (Glastonbury) called Peter Spiring was sold to Liverpool in 1973 for £60,000. The mid seventies saw us develop many local stars like Sir Geoffrey Merrick, Kevin Mabbutt, Trevor Tainton, David Rodgers and Gary Collier I think was local. Out of all of those I suppose we got a fee for Mabbutt. Can't grumble about the contribution the others made although nothing in terms of transfer fees.

Local boys we've missed out on include Julian Dicks (phew!) and the Newcastle bloke with the hair Darren Peacock.

Anyone even know if we have a "Bristol Boys" schools representative team anymore?

I actually saw Bodin about a dozen times and he always impressed. Amazed by some of the negative attitudes here, Non League can be a good source of players both to boost the team and finances if sold. For a Club in our position it should be where we are scouting, signing endless journeymen is not sustainable, as recent accounts seem to confirm.

This thred is making me laugh, shall we do it the Rovers way or the City way???

Rovers way - sign lots of non league players and then sell them on at great profit = 4000 gates, bottom of 4th division.

City way - sign bigger name, experienced players = 13000 gates and 6 consecutive Championship seasons.

Mmmmm decisions, decisions

Post's like yours are making most of us who understand the thread laugh.

The City way sign mainly useless overpaid journey men, have a 18 mil wage bill and record losses, this post is about taking more notice of local, lower league and non league talent and nothing to do with the gas, probably too much for you take in before school.

A local lad (Glastonbury) called Peter Spiring was sold to Liverpool in 1973 for £60,000. The mid seventies saw us develop many local stars like Sir Geoffrey Merrick, Kevin Mabbutt, Trevor Tainton, David Rodgers and Gary Collier I think was local. Out of all of those I suppose we got a fee for Mabbutt. Can't grumble about the contribution the others made although nothing in terms of transfer fees.

Local boys we've missed out on include Julian Dicks (phew!) and the Newcastle bloke with the hair Darren Peacock.

Anyone even know if we have a "Bristol Boys" schools representative team anymore?

Paul Cheesley, Chris Garland, Keith Fear?

Archived