IGNORED

If Del Goes, Who To Come In?

DownendRed97

I once put up DiCannio's name as a half joke to wind some people up. However if you can look past the hype, and look at results, his record is impressive. Look what he has done at Swindle. With no money. He works at shape and formation constantly, has gone through as a youth the Italian coaching structure, so understands what it means to have a real youth set up (which we are trying to do) . I also think his passion will be something that will get City fans behind him. We all call out out for a character, Gerry Gow being the type of name that comes up, and boy do we need a shake up right now.

It would need to be brave, and the ride would be wild, but you are sure our players will know something has changed. It could not be worse than Del now, and for one thing, DiCannio will manage in the Prem one day, it just depends who with. A typical article is the following.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2200435/Paolo-Di-Canio-Doing-job-crazy-beautiful-too.html

You have to look past the person and look at the results. Swindon may swap places with us next season, and a double promotion (and personally I am sure they will do it) would make any manager a hot target for clubs. The name puts some off, but this is a results business, and boy he is delivering.

Indeed. Totally agree, remarkably job he's doing up at Swindon, however you have to wonder if we could get him

My view is that the Board would be afraid of him though because he'd publically speak his mind

Fans would adore this bloke, speaks so much sense when discussing the modern footballer, bloke would be a breath of fresh air.

That Mail interview / article with Di Cannio reinforces my wish that SL will be bold and make an approach. It's unlikely that he is someone SL would approach but, if he did, would he come? It depends on whether PDC perceives that an opportunity with us gives him a greater opportunity of managing in the Premiership than his current position with Swindon. It also depends on the sort of budget (for his salary and players) SL can offer in line with the new rules.

It remains a fact that BCFC is an attractive prospect for an up and coming manager who isn't going to get a premiership opportunity directly. With our catchment area, decent owner, potential and probable (despite the frustrations) new stadium and decent academy set up I think he might come but I also think he would like another promotion on his CV and probably has a sense of loyalty to see things through at Swindon for this season at least.

That Mail interview / article with Di Cannio reinforces my wish that SL will be bold and make an approach. It's unlikely that he is someone SL would approach but, if he did, would he come? It depends on whether PDC perceives that an opportunity with us gives him a greater opportunity of managing in the Premiership than his current position with Swindon. It also depends on the sort of budget (for his salary and players) SL can offer in line with the new rules.

It remains a fact that BCFC is an attractive prospect for an up and coming manager who isn't going to get a premiership opportunity directly. With our catchment area, decent owner, potential and probable (despite the frustrations) new stadium and decent academy set up I think he might come but I also think he would like another promotion on his CV and probably has a sense of loyalty to see things through at Swindon for this season at least.

As much as o like his methods, he would he a big no here. Can you imagine after two bad results, a few grumbles were heard, and he says, we don't want you here, go and support Rovers. That's what he said at Swindon, told his own fans to support Oxford! He wouldn't last a week here saying that.

He also believes owners and chairman should be seen and not heard. Now that would seem ideal here at the moment :) but we know what Steve is like for sticking his oar in, several times in the dressing room before a game saying what he wants. I'm not saying it is wrong, but Di Canio would not work in that environment

I think there are just a few characters who can get away with saying almost anything and still be loved as a manager because of their style, charisma and slightly tongue in cheek manner. Cloughy snr was an example. That sort of line would probably be expected and given the dross we have had here for a while di cannio would get a good 12 months of good will and by this time results would shut any idiots up. There will always be a few at any club who will not take to a manager but I think it would work. As you say though I doubt if SL would entertain the idea. SL is much more likely to pick the equivalent of a Hodgson rather than a Harry or Di Cannio type of character.

I think there are just a few characters who can get away with saying almost anything and still be loved as a manager because of their style, charisma and slightly tongue in cheek manner. Cloughy snr was an example. That sort of line would probably be expected and given the dross we have had here for a while di cannio would get a good 12 months of good will and by this time results would shut any idiots up. There will always be a few at any club who will not take to a manager but I think it would work. As you say though I doubt if SL would entertain the idea. SL is much more likely to pick the equivalent of a Hodgson rather than a Harry or Di Cannio type of character.

He would be my choice, hard disciplinarian, who wont stand for drinking or players messing about, will drop and sub anyone and even boot out players who dont pull their weight.

Add to this a fresh outlook on management, performance and results, he is as far away from the stayed clichéd claptrap of most british managers, it is unreal.

I would have him here in a heart beat

No way will we get anything out of Leicester and that really will be the final straw for Del won't it? So...

Davies and Coyle would be at the top of my shortlist... Di Canio is not only unrealistic, but he would be a huge risk if we wanted to ensure survival.

Cotterill is like a mini Sam Allardyce, comes with a tag of long ball football and a big personality, but unlike Big-Sam, it's never really worked out for him.

Heard a few whispers of the return of Gary Johnson... Maybe ...

Terry Butcher, hard as nails, been there done it, his side ICT sit Second in the SPL despite being smaller than the gas. Has won trophies, International caps, builds winning sides on peanuts, uses youngsters etc etc. a bit left field, I know but got to be as good a bet as all these perennial losers we get linked with!!

Ps knows a bit about defending too, and as an ex-centre half may be better at spotting one than our recent incumbents!!

Terry Butcher, hard as nails, been there done it, his side ICT sit Second in the SPL despite being smaller than the gas. Has won trophies, International caps, builds winning sides on peanuts, uses youngsters etc etc. a bit left field, I know but got to be as good a bet as all these perennial losers we get linked with!!

Ps knows a bit about defending too, and as an ex-centre half may be better at spotting one than our recent incumbents!!

Too close to the path taken by our incumbent squire. May be a good shout but too many similarities in every other dept.

karl robinson or gary smith

Robinson would be an interesting shout but probably not the right man for the right moment should a vacancy occur anytime soon. Previously his assistant was John Gorman, now retired, who was at City and now his assistant is Mick Harford, also previously of City, and both very well respected here. Karl I believe is still the youngest manager in the football league.

I suspect he wants to finish what he has started at MK.

Despite how frustrating it is at the moment, I will support Del until he leaves. If he does leave either through quitting or being sacked soon, then I would like to see Cotterill get the job. Can work on a tight budget, proven at this level, organises his squads and could slap the players out of their long long cryostasis.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer or Paulo Sousa - The former has won back to back titles for Molde, their first ever. This would be a good move for him and for City. Prove his worth by taking an unfashionable club into the top flight and then take over at Manure in 5 years time. Sousa did well at The Swans finishing 7th int eh Championship before making the disastrous move to Leicester. He has since done very well with Videoton in Hungary by finishing 2nd the season after they won it for the very first time under the previous gaffer and getting through to the group stages of the Europa League.

Would SL go foreign though? 3 wins on the bounce for Del and these discussions will be buried, at least for a while.

Archived