IGNORED

Hazard

steviestevieneville

My opinion would be that no adult should be kicking anyone with so little, nay Zero, justification.

Of course, the law of the land would view it differently, as an 18 year old would not constitute a minor.

But that matters not. Fact is, whether intentional or not, and whether provoked by the lads stupidity or not, it is not an acceptable act and it is not an overreaction to suggest so. It's plain wrong, and inspite of the fact I have Hazard as my Captain in my FA Prem team, he deserves to miss a lot of football as a result.

What would be nice is if Chelsea actually took a brave stance, actually admitted that it was wrong (Rafa's post match interview suggested he didn't particularly care, i.e. the usual "I didn't see it" rollocks!), put a self-imposed ban on him, fined him a months wages and gave it to a charity that supports abused children.

But they won't. They'll wrap it up and pretend that nothing happened.

There's a long long line of things that are putting me off premiership football and this has added to it tonight.

Well said, sir. It's not about pro or anti Chelsea (although, why anybody here should be pro-Chelsea or any team other than City baffles me). It's about the whole PL culture that the result justifies the means.

When the best striker in our top division boasts about being a cheat, you do have to wonder.

Cue outrage from plastic Liverpool "fans".

Mountain molehill come to mind. Poster who called both t__ts had it closest in my opinion. That lad made so much of it and at least got his 5 mins of fame. Hazard stupid as it was only appears to be trying to poke the ball out but yes, was always gonna end in tears - stupid decision yes, assault no.

Just watched it for the 4th time and I can't believe how anybody watching it can't see that hazard is just training to get the ball back. Yes the sensible option would have been to stand back and let the ref deal with it but heat of the moment led to a bad decision. But to suggest assault is just absolutely crazy. Put that next to a nightclub assault incident up and down the country most Friday and Saturday nights and there is an absolutely massive difference.

Proof, if ever it was needed, that football divides opinion. The same single incident can polarise the views of people who have no allegiance to either side. It's one of the few things remaining which makes football a great game.

To me the incident is another nail in the game's proverbial coffin. That ball boys can become embroiled in the seedy world of time wasting and feigning injury is very sad indeed and just one more reason why I feel myself falling out of love with the game.

My take on it is that both the 17 year old ball boy and 21 year old Hazard acted like idiots for ten seconds last night. A bit like most 17 and 21 year olds are prone to do on occasion really (I know I did at that age!!).

The ball boy could see that Hazard was trying to get the ball back quickly and whether he was pushed or not led on the ball as long as he could - he had time to get off the ball and to be honest once he saw Hazard trying to get the ball in the first place he should have got out of the way. He was acting under instruction from Swansea City, as were all the ball boys, in wasting as much time as he could and this needs looking at by the FA in my view. His reaction was frankly embarrassing and confirms that he watches Premier League football every week. Suarez would have been proud of the kid. If my son had acted like that I would have been embarrassed for both him, his mother and myself.

Hazard was obviously unprofessional and forgetting football for a second, downright stupid, in laying hands on the lad and kicking the ball from underneath him which also appears to have made contact with the boys ribs and he will be punished accordingly. We all know that he should have simply pointed out to the referee that the ball boy was wasting time but then we are all looking at it in the comfort of our homes with clear thought and a keyboard to hand. But unfortunately Hazard did what a lot of 21 year olds are prone to do in the heat of the moment, especially 21 year olds brought up in an ultra competitive environment like professional sport, and made a mistake (like many on this forum might have done in the heat of the moment at that age despite their claims to being as morally upstanding as Jesus Christ).

I cannot believe that people on here want Hazard charged with assault, public money wasted in a court case, convicted and the key thrown away. It is clear to me that Hazard's intent was nothing more and nothing less than to get the ball back in play. If he wanted to truly hurt the lad he could have taken a big swing and, being a professional footballer, would easily have enough power in his legs and feet to have broken three or four ribs no problem. If it was a true assult where his intent was to "do" the kid he could have kept on pummelling him in the ribs until the lad needed hospital treatment. But he didn't. Technically it may be an assault in law but I cannot accept that there is any need for Police involvement given the situation, the ages of the people involved and the clear intent of what Hazard was trying to do.

Two young people made a mistake. That's all it boils down to in my eyes. It seems obvious that some posters on here have never made a mistake in their lives so I guess that entitles you to cast the first stone and all that!!

The referee got it right by sending Hazard off and diffusing the situation. Let's hope the FA get it right by levying the appropriate ban and fine. Lets hope Chelsea get it right with a proper apology. And lets hope the Police get it right by staying out of it. The fact that both the ball boy, presumably with the blessing of his parents, and Swansea City do not want to take further action speaks volumes in my eyes.

I'm my opinion, the ball boy did his job. He did what he was asked to do, which is to waste time, and in doing so managed to get a player sent off and therefore contributed to probably his team winning the league cup.

Hazard should have known better, Chelsea needed 11 players on the pitch and the referee would (should) have added the time on anyway.

I think Hazard should be punished, (not ridiculously).

They've moved on from this incident, so should everyone else.

• Admin

My take on it is that both the 17 year old ball boy and 21 year old Hazard acted like idiots for ten seconds last night. A bit like most 17 and 21 year olds are prone to do on occasion really (I know I did at that age!!).

The ball boy could see that Hazard was trying to get the ball back quickly and whether he was pushed or not led on the ball as long as he could - he had time to get off the ball and to be honest once he saw Hazard trying to get the ball in the first place he should have got out of the way. He was acting under instruction from Swansea City, as were all the ball boys, in wasting as much time as he could and this needs looking at by the FA in my view. His reaction was frankly embarrassing and confirms that he watches Premier League football every week. Suarez would have been proud of the kid. If my son had acted like that I would have been embarrassed for both him, his mother and myself.

Hazard was obviously unprofessional and forgetting football for a second, downright stupid, in laying hands on the lad and kicking the ball from underneath him which also appears to have made contact with the boys ribs and he will be punished accordingly. We all know that he should have simply pointed out to the referee that the ball boy was wasting time but then we are all looking at it in the comfort of our homes with clear thought and a keyboard to hand. But unfortunately Hazard did what a lot of 21 year olds are prone to do in the heat of the moment, especially 21 year olds brought up in an ultra competitive environment like professional sport, and made a mistake (like many on this forum might have done in the heat of the moment at that age despite their claims to being as morally upstanding as Jesus Christ).

I cannot believe that people on here want Hazard charged with assault, public money wasted in a court case, convicted and the key thrown away. It is clear to me that Hazard's intent was nothing more and nothing less than to get the ball back in play. If he wanted to truly hurt the lad he could have taken a big swing and, being a professional footballer, would easily have enough power in his legs and feet to have broken three or four ribs no problem. If it was a true assult where his intent was to "do" the kid he could have kept on pummelling him in the ribs until the lad needed hospital treatment. But he didn't. Technically it may be an assault in law but I cannot accept that there is any need for Police involvement given the situation, the ages of the people involved and the clear intent of what Hazard was trying to do.

Two young people made a mistake. That's all it boils down to in my eyes. It seems obvious that some posters on here have never made a mistake in their lives so I guess that entitles you to cast the first stone and all that!!

The referee got it right by sending Hazard off and diffusing the situation. Let's hope the FA get it right by levying the appropriate ban and fine. Lets hope Chelsea get it right with a proper apology. And lets hope the Police get it right by staying out of it. The fact that both the ball boy, presumably with the blessing of his parents, and Swansea City do not want to take further action speaks volumes in my eyes.

At last, some common sense.

Swansea Ball Boys (and whilst in the eyes of the law, 17 might be a boy, but I bet he doesn't consider himself one in day to day life) were time wasting, Sky showed at least one other example last night of holding onto the ball and then rolling it short of the player. Chelsea players should have risen above it, but it seems that some posters on here have no comprehension of competitive spirit.

Also its a bit dramatic to call him a child, yes he behaved childishly, but 17 a child... come on, who of you wouldn't have been really pissed off to be called a child at 17. I was working full time, pubbing, clubbing, riding a Triumph Bonneville when I was 17, hardly a child.

If that was my kid I'd be pressing charges.

No matter what the provocation, a grown man should not kick a juvenile, whether it's at a football stadium or not.

If someone takes this to the police then there are grounds for assault, surely?

And that is precisely what is wrong with today's society.

Amen to that, no more to be said

I don't really know how people are defending Hazard on the grounds that he was "trying to get the ball back"; I don't think anyone is saying that he was trying to puncture the kids lung. While the ball boy was clearly wasting time and made a meal of it, Hazard shouldn't have kicked the ball out from under him, especially as he was the one who pushed him on the floor. He got sent off, he'll get a bam and everyone will have forgotten about it in a month

As an aside for those saying he didn't kick the kid, I once had two ribs broken playing Saturday league football when I fell on the ball trying to shepard it out for a corner. The opposition player managed to get his toe to the ball But put his shin pad through my ribs. Believe me, it can hurt

The Ball boy wasted time, feigned injury, and got a player sent off! (SHOCK HORROR)!

Let's hope the average footballer doesn't take a leaf out of his book.

What a sorry state the game will be in if this sort of thing takes off and cheating creeps into our beloved game!

Exactly my thoughts and having watched an irrational rant by Pat Nevin on BBC breakfast TV condemning the ball boy for what you have described beggars belief, footballers and pundits are living in a dream world.

The kid deserved it! He was on twitter hours before the game boasting that Swansea have asked him to ball boy for the Chelsea game and bragging that he's going to time waste!

I would of done exactly the same. Just because he is a professional player he's now not aloud to do what many of us would of done in that situation!? Pathetic!

The kid deserved it! He was on twitter hours before the game boasting that Swansea have asked him to ball boy for the Chelsea game and bragging that he's going to time waste!

I would of done exactly the same. Just because he is a professional player he's now not aloud to do what many of us would of done in that situation!? Pathetic!

I wouldn't of done that!

I wouldn't of done that!

The ball is underneath the boy,you're 10 minutes from defeat and you have this silly little welsh **** timewasting, why not kick it? The referee was pretty bad all night,based on last night performance, I wondered if he would of added any time on at all. His intention was the kick the ball from underneah him, not kick him (although he didn't even kick him)

Archived