IGNORED

Brian Howard

Aipearcey

Well we've seen him often enough to know he's not. However the blokes trying to earn a living, and concentrating on your football whilst playing on the titanic must be a struggle. Give the guy a chance.

Just passing on information no need for you all to get hostile, he needs to earn a contract first!.

As someone mentioned I'm sure SOD is a good judge of a players ability and if he brings value to a team.

I'm just nervous about players that have no club that's all.

I watched him a fair few times when he was with Barnsley (had mates that went and tagged along) and I have to say I never particularly rated him back then, let alone now. His work rate was poor, he always held on to the ball too long and he rarely tracked. That said, when given the space and time he's very good on the ball and gets into some great goal-scoring opportunities. At Barnsley he was the fulcrum of their entire team which suits the way he plays. While we need a 'creative' player in the middle, I can't see him being that fulcrum for us, especially signing a 3 month contract in February

Nowt wrong with that - they're a bigger club than us. With zero prior affiliation to City, it's what I'd expect him to have done.

Doesn't make him any less worthy in my opinion.

Bigger club? Yep, probably but we were both in the Championship when he turned us down and we finished the season higher than they did.

It might not be rational but I bear a bit of a grudge when players have a history of publicly turning their nose up at City.

To be fair though, I've had a more positive on-pitch presence than Jody Morris this season

Pretty much my response to the following comments I received from an old Pompey mate of mine:

Many Pompey fans are wishing they had never heard of him. His time here was disappointing, to say the least. In fairness to him, he was on a month to month contract so probably had uncertainty hanging over him. On the other hand he knew exactly what sort of shambles he was coming to so shouldn't have been surprised to not get an early offer of something more permanent. He never gave the impression that he was particularly interested. He was made captain but rarely led by example, and by the end of his time here he was getting some terrible stick from the fans. I don't think anyone shed a tear when he was released. However, I always felt that he is potentially a much better player than we saw. Perhaps Sean O'Driscoll can manage to get the best out of him.

Pretty much my response to the following comments I received from an old Pompey mate of mine:

Many Pompey fans are wishing they had never heard of him. His time here was disappointing, to say the least. In fairness to him, he was on a month to month contract so probably had uncertainty hanging over him. On the other hand he knew exactly what sort of shambles he was coming to so shouldn't have been surprised to not get an early offer of something more permanent. He never gave the impression that he was particularly interested. He was made captain but rarely led by example, and by the end of his time here he was getting some terrible stick from the fans. I don't think anyone shed a tear when he was released. However, I always felt that he is potentially a much better player than we saw. Perhaps Sean O'Driscoll can manage to get the best out of him.

It's the final sentence which is the most valid one here....If SO'D thinks he is worth having (and the wages are right) then a short term contract doesn't risk much, for a large potential reward, namely a decent creative midfielder if the SO'D effect works

Pompey support mate of mine said all the players on a month to month contract were keeping themselkves safe on the pitch, no tackles, because if they got injured their contracts were cancelled, they were all staying fit in the hope of getting another club.

He's playing an u 21 match on Tuesday, the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Having spoken to a few people (including the guy who reports on their games) I think the consensus is that he didn't pull up any trees whilst he was at Pompey.

However by Xmas he'd started 23 of their league games so is certainly fit enough and as a free agent is available, plus the uncertainty there can't have helped any of their players to perform at their best.

On the evidence so far (as shown with Bates) O'Driscoll isn't going to be dishing out contracts like sweets, and so I'm sure he won't give him a deal unless he feels he adds something to us.

I don't want to use the low bar of "he's bound to be better than Jody Morris", but on Saturday the 6 outfield players on our bench were 2 right backs and 4 Academy graduates, so even with Albert back and hopefully one or two others fit by Saturday it is obvious we need a bit more depth.

As bad as Howard and co may or may not have been, Portsmouth have lost every single game since they all left. Obviously losing so many players would weaken any team.

If he does sign and is half as useful as Brendan Maloney has turned out to be, it could prove to be a good signing until the end of the season.

Its also worth pointing out what a bit of direction and confidence can do for a player, most of our team were underperforming massively a month ago. They are now a completely different proposition to play against.

Archived