IGNORED

You Used To Be Blue ..

Frome Valley

Do feel for Cardiff and would welcome any disillusioned fans who wanted to come and see real football with us. As mentioned problem is that in last couple of years they've more than doubled attentances, with new fans only being used to success. These guys are the ones who will accept anything as long as they get to see Man Utd, Arsenal etc playing at Cardiff. I reckon if we say doubled our attendances there would be plenty of the newcomers who wouldn't care about us rebranding as long as we got promoted etc. Just cast your minds back to the play off final and think whever lot's of those faces you've never seen would care? Luckily I think the core 10K or so of our support would resist it before anything like a rebrand would get off.

As of last night I'm done with that filthy football club. The Bristol City game (with your chants etc-thank you for that, it won't be forgottwn) and the prospect of a Blue Tuesday 'movement' gave me hope, but seeing the gormless hoardes wearing red last night sickened me, and within me my love for the club broke.

It's history for me now. I can no longer justify anything that the club has become. it's not my club, I'm not interested. Premier league football will be good for the city, but I will have no attachment to them anymore. Reading the messageboards, plenty more feel the same.

Dunno where that leaves me on here. I've enjoyed the banter, but I cannot continue it any longer. Short term Cardiff City are far better than Bristol City, but as a club and set of supporters, you are twice what Cardiff City are.

I hope you appreciate how difficult that last sentence was!

Good luck chaps, and make sure you stand up for your club and defend it's honour better than our spineless support did.

fair play CBL. hate cardiff as i do, i don't think anyone wishes what's happened to your side on anyone. the theft of heritage, tradition and what you've grown up believing in is a wicked thing. Like finding out santa ain't real. it shouldn't happen to anyone! will always (begrudgingly) respect cardiff and their older supporters, and hope nothing like this ever befalls bcfc. there for the grace of god go us etc.

As of last night I'm done with that filthy football club. The Bristol City game (with your chants etc-thank you for that, it won't be forgottwn) and the prospect of a Blue Tuesday 'movement' gave me hope, but seeing the gormless hoardes wearing red last night sickened me, and within me my love for the club broke.

It's history for me now. I can no longer justify anything that the club has become. it's not my club, I'm not interested. Premier league football will be good for the city, but I will have no attachment to them anymore. Reading the messageboards, plenty more feel the same.

Dunno where that leaves me on here. I've enjoyed the banter, but I cannot continue it any longer. Short term Cardiff City are far better than Bristol City, but as a club and set of supporters, you are twice what Cardiff City are.

I hope you appreciate how difficult that last sentence was!

Good luck chaps, and make sure you stand up for your club and defend it's honour better than our spineless support did.

an one more thing - while your words about us being twice the club/supporters cardiff are ring very pleasantly in the ears, let's not kid anyone. I would love to think that city would never let what happened to cardiff happen here but... too many people rattle on about the premiership, even referring to it as 'the promised land'. too many people want the new stadium, too many people want success, too many people would be happy for it and bugger the small print. It pains me to say it, but i'm sure if a minted malaysian came along tomorrow a fair wedge of our fan base would spread their legs and take what's coming with a smile on their faces.

an one more thing - while your words about us being twice the club/supporters cardiff are ring very pleasantly in the ears, let's not kid anyone. I would love to think that city would never let what happened to cardiff happen here but... too many people rattle on about the premiership, even referring to it as 'the promised land'. too many people want the new stadium, too many people want success, too many people would be happy for it and bugger the small print. It pains me to say it, but i'm sure if a minted malaysian came along tomorrow a fair wedge of our fan base would spread their legs and take what's coming with a smile on their faces.

Not in a million years. Call City fans what you like, but we would never bend over like Cardiff have done. The Malaysian debacle is the last throw of the dice for a desperate club, using any means possible to gain a year in the Premier League.

Looks like they might get it, but at what cost? Cardiff Black Label has summed up the current situation very well. Plastic fans given a free scarf for turning up.

I would rather City be relegated than paint a happy smile on my face and watch them prostitute themselves for the dirty dollar. MK Dons are despised for what they did 10 years ago, but Cardiff are far, far worse.

Not in a million years. Call City fans what you like, but we would never bend over like Cardiff have done. The Malaysian debacle is the last throw of the dice for a desperate club, using any means possible to gain a year in the Premier League.

Looks like they might get it, but at what cost? Cardiff Black Label has summed up the current situation very well in other topics. Plastic fans given a free scarf for turning up.

I would rather City be relegated than paint a happy smile on my face and watch them prostitute themselves for the dirty dollar. MK Dons are despised for what they did 10 years ago, but Cardiff are far, far worse.

you have more faith than me in our support then - personally i get terrified when i hear the words 'promised land' used by anyone, unfortunately the phrase is commonplace round here i've found. more importantly, i suspect it wouldn't even matter what stunts our support pulled should a cardiff scenario unfold this side of the bridge. how many people would turn their back on it? sure, a few thousand, maybe more, might boycott for the rest of their days, but by the same marker i'm sure thousands on thousands of floating fans with no affinity to the club would suddenly surface. all hypothesis on my part, but i'm sure a big investment in any failing football team / city would also reap the same results - without matter if it's bristol, cardiff or whoever else in the football league. arsenal have proved how little traditional, historic support matters. As long as the 'product' is there, i.e. prem football, there will always be idiots ready to click through the turnstiles and take the seat of someone who once breathed the club.

I think you are being a little harsh on the Cardiff fans. Let's be honest, successful teams have a lot of hanger ons who soon disappear when the success dries up. I'm sure you know a hardcore of fans who are as genuine as you.

What is it that's so upsetting you? It surely can't be the change of colour to red. Is it that all the hanger ons aren't respecting your heritage? These things evolve, a few of the hangers on will stick with you come what may. They will pick up the heritage.

I was surprised with all the references to Malaysia in your ground (are you sponsored by Malaysia?). This would upset me if a far-flung country started to take over Ashton Gate (Andorra perhaps). But I'm not sure I'd have the reaction you have above.

A clubs heritage I would have thought is also its identity and fan culture. Last saturday Bristol City fans witnessed a brand, not a football club. All heritage/identity/culture eradicated. A Surreal experience that I have never encoutered before over decades. I have no desire ever to visit that stadium again. The Cardiff of old has been wiped away.

Jesus. I thought a Cardiff representative made a huge stink about being called Cardiff a year or so ago (like we get when we get called Bristol)

Now the club are printing up cheap scarves with just Cardiff on them.

The mugs in that picture, especially the one in the onesie, what an embarrassment.

A lot of interesting points. I think a lot of it comes down to why we actually go to football. If you go with the sole aim of watching the best football with the best view, then a new stadium is fine, change the colour if you want, hell, change name with it. As long as i am watching top flight football that's all that is important. For me football is about something different. My support is born out of a social, cultural and historical motive. I want City to do well, but it's not the be all and end of my support. My support to club isn't linked to success, it's far deeper than that. If what has happened at Cardiff happened here, i wouldn't go to City anymore. My club is more important than the Premier league, it truly, truly is.

A lot of interesting points.I think a lot of it comes down to why we actually go to football.If you go with the sole aim of watching the best football with the best view, then a new stadium is fine, change the colour if you want, hell, change name with it. As long as i am watching top flight football that's all that is important.For me football is about something different. My support is born out of a social, cultural and historical motive. I want City to do well, but it's not the be all and end of my support. My support to club isn't linked to success, it's far deeper than that. If what has happened at Cardiff happened here, i wouldn't go to City anymore. My club is more important than the Premier league, it truly, truly is.

Exactly mate. Fans on here who dislike the Star Trek home shirt, or have a desire to for Bristol City to avoid building a Cardiff like stadium can get called "Luddites" and "Anti progress!"

People are forgetting that clubs were social, cultural and historical v the consumer driven identities they are becoming.

Those pictures are terrifying. Is this really the price to pay to get into the Premier League these days? If so, you can shove it. What the hell are those mascots, Manga characters or something?! Just imagine a wealthy Saudi consortium buying City. Making us play in green, putting up their flags with the white sword on it and having 'Happy Ramadam' on the big screen. Chilling.

Those pictures are terrifying. Is this really the price to pay to get into the Premier League these days? If so, you can shove it. What the hell are those mascots, Manga characters or something?! Just imagine a wealthy Saudi consortium buying City. Making us play in green, putting up their flags with the white sword on it and having 'Happy Ramadam' on the big screen. Chilling.

A genuine guess, I'm going to say 'Fire & Passion'.

I cannot believe that so many miss the point about football and your local club.

When did the Premier League win and convince the majority that its the be all and end all of football and that only by getting there, no matter what the cost, have you 'achieved' anything? When will people realise that the media only bang on about because they have a vested interest, not because they genuinely believe it. When did it become alright that 4th division players earn over £1,000 a week?

The worlds gone ******* crazy.

It doesn't matter if we never reach the Premier league, honestly, it doesn't we can try to be the best in our division and if that means promotion then so be it. But it is not some kind of holy grail, it's just a division of football teams. Yes, football, that thing that kids used to do up the park during school holidays or at the weekend.

When did we loose?

A genuine guess, I'm going to say 'Fire & Passion'.

I cannot believe that so many miss the point about football and your local club.

When did the Premier League win and convince the majority that its the be all and end all of football and that only by getting there, no matter what the cost, have you 'achieved' anything? When did it become alright that 4th division players earn over £1,000 a week?

The worlds gone ******* crazy.

It doesn't matter if we never reach the Premier league, honestly, it doesn't we can try to be the best in our division and if that means promotion then so be it. But it is not some kind of holy grail, it's just a division of football teams. Yes, football, that thing that kids used to do up the park during school holidays or at the weekend.

When did we loose?

Fortunately we have owners who are City fans. But look at Norwich, again owned by supporters who haven't sold their identity to get in the Premier League. You can even look at teams which ARE owned by foreign owners which haven't completely rebranded their clubs. Just can't believe what they have done at Cardiff and it is truly cringing seeing how a lot of them are seemingly loving it.

South Wales and especially the valleys have some of the biggest working class areas in the UK. I am so surprised that these people didn't stand up to the Malaysians.

I would half expect it from places in the Home Counties.

Even Brighton fans led a long campaign against the injustices they had re there stadium etc.

The people of Cardiff and The valleys should hang there heads in shame, they have lost there fighting spirit, and let a Far East business man walk all over them.

Shameful imo.

A lot of interesting points. I think a lot of it comes down to why we actually go to football. If you go with the sole aim of watching the best football with the best view, then a new stadium is fine, change the colour if you want, hell, change name with it. As long as i am watching top flight football that's all that is important. For me football is about something different. My support is born out of a social, cultural and historical motive. I want City to do well, but it's not the be all and end of my support. My support to club isn't linked to success, it's far deeper than that. If what has happened at Cardiff happened here, i wouldn't go to City anymore. My club is more important than the Premier league, it truly, truly is.

Great post.

I always smile inside when I hear sung at AG: "We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen ..." because we're all not delusional! We know that really we're not the greatest team in footballing terms - by a l-o-n-g chalk BUT TO ME, Bristol City really is the greatest team - my only team - and always will be.

I've watched City for more than 50 years. I've watched them in the old First Division and was at Newport when we were bottom of the Fourth Division and within days of going out of business. I relate every event in my life, good and bad, births, marriages and deaths to events at AG - who was manager at the time, who was in the team, who were we playing against, what was the score, who were the scorers ... it's very sad that an unfashionable football club can have such a hold over an overgrown man.

Bristol City is for me, an addiction and OTIB is my, Bristol City Anonymous!

I don't want my team to make it to the Prem at all costs. I'm not sure that I even want them to get to the Prem ever - the journey would be fun but it's always more fun to travel than to arrive. I'm happy and content in the Championship - a little higher and safety would be nice but if Division One is where we must go next, then so be it. I've been there, seen it and outgrown the T-shirt.

In Cardiff, there will be supporters who feel about their club like I feel about mine but their's is gone now and mine is still here. Thank goodness for that.

Yours is an honest and open post Robin, one with which i have a lot of sympathy. The most important point you make and is sometimes overlooked, is that you felt it was Vincent Tan or bust and faced with the same decision i can see how hard that choice must have been. But for my part, i would rather boycott then go along with it. I don't mean that in a patronising or superior way, just that i had to the back teeth with modern, 'family' football and the would be the last straw. If there was no East End and just another Atyeo, i can't honestly say i would buy another season ticket next year.

RFG, you were all warned about Sam Hamman, but you took him in with big open arms.

You doted after him, it was sickening to watch.

That was the start of your club changing but you lot just didn't see it.

Risdale the crook, another one who you all claimed you didn't want.Again, none of you did anything to get him out,you even fell for his early Season ticket scam ( where all the money was promised to be spent on new players but was actually used to pay debts).

So you all had years to protest and do something but you all did nothing.

So, in comes the Malaysian, and if my facts are correct? It was a deal brokered by Risdale which got the Malaysians involved in your club.

So this whole saga has actually been running for about 10 years, but because of a bit of success you all seem to have gone along like sheep following the Shepherd (there's a joke there somewhere!) and accepted it all.

Your support has gone soft,you are all being taken for a ride by the latest owner.

HIS premier league dream is all about £££££ and not Cardiff City, imo it's just a big gamble for him and the millions of £££ Cardiff City will get "if" you get to the Prem will go in his pocket.

When ( its nailed on) you get relegated, he will no doubt disappear back to his own country with all the dosh.

I do feel sorry for your hardcore 5,000, but you only have yourself's to blame.

They now have a waiting list for season tickets next season, best hope they go up now as the new breed of red will turn blue ;)

‎' Season Tickets for 2013/14 Season Now Sold Out/Join the waiting list '

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105674

Clearly the new breed of red bluebird fan is unaware of the annual last minute slider.... (Theres the Wonga thing again..see :D )

This is going to a long one so apologies for that. I'm finding it hard to argue against the comments made on this thread but i wanted to put what's happened at Cardiff into some context. Quite a few of you have said "It can't happen here" and you may well be right. But you haven't had the recent history we have had so circumstances are different. I don't believe your core fan base is any better (or worse) than ours, so I don't believe what's happening to us is down to a weak and cowardly set of fans. I ought to make it clear that I am not looking for sympathy (and not only because I know I won't any :). And I don't really mind if you don't accept what I am going to say because, as you might have gathered from my posts, I'm not too bothered about what you think of me or my club. I just wanted to give you something to think about, if only to ward off any complacency on your part.

I don't think anyone could argue (although I've done it often enough on this forum :) that mine has been a car-crash of a club over the last decade or so. Sam the Scam and the Riddler took the club to edge of extinction. They were both gamblers and they gambled with CCFC. They gave us lots of good times too of course. But at the point where the Malaysians took over, we were lurching from crisis to crisis and came close to liquidation never mind administration on a number of occasions. That's Important Point #1. I'd be surprised if you didn't hear the huge sigh of relief that went around Cardiff when they signed up, especially as they did so after our defeat in the Carling Cup final. I had been especially downbeat after that game as not only did we lose but I fully expected TG (who was the public face of the Malaysians at that time) to pull out.

When the rebrand was announced there was the sort of uproar you would have expected. It didn't help the oppostion's case that it happened in close season (first in a series of clever tactical moves by VT). Neverthless opposition there certainly was, some of it more measured than the vitriol which was aimed at the Malaysians on Facebook, etc. TG (the face of the rebrand at the time and a much more reasonable and honourable man IMHO) responded by saying they had been taken a back by the opposition to their plans, which were a central plank of their vision for the future of the club and that they would have to reconsider their position.

This set alarms bells ringing. If this had happened at BCFC you may well have carried on the opposition regardless. But it didn't and a lot of fans started to panic that the Malaysians would pull out and the club would almost inevitably go under. This is Important Point #2. I don't believe acceptance of the rebrand has been motivated by a lust for Premier League football. It's been mostly a fear of extinction. They never actually said as much but that was what a large majority of fans believed their announcement threatened. First significant victory to VT. There was still an opposition movement, buit it was severely hamstrung,

Now a minority of fans decided at this point , when the colour change looked definite, to pull out and not attend future matches. I thought about it long and hard myself. I didn't cancel my ST for two reasons. Firstly - and this is Important Point #3 - I knew that, with our average attendances more than doubling over the previous decade, we had many, many newer fans who wouldn't view the colour change in the same way as I and many friends did. If a few thousand of us stopped going in protest there were plenty of others who wouldn't and lots of others to take our place. So it wasn't likely to be a short term protest. Not going would be a long-term, possibly permanent, ditching of allegiance to CCFC. And I couldn't do it. Good on those who did. I couldn't, it's too much part of my life. So I became a 'reluctant red', although I doubt VT cared so long as I carried on paying my money.

To be absolutely honest, when the game starts I don't even notice, or haven't up until now anyway. If you watch your team away, which I do, then you are used to seeing them play in all sorts of colours . Away from the ground, it's put a dampener on what has been a very enjoyable season on the pitch. The taunts we get from other fans, not least yourselves, don't bother me. Some of them have been pretty good :) I'm going to be starting the 'We used to be blue...' chant on the coach next away game.

I had thought that VT had made a major error with the scarf giveaway. Someone compared it to an open goal for those opposed to the rebrand but still attending. And, on the message boards, there did seem to be good support for a display of blue. Unfortunately VT appears to know our current fanbase a lot better than I do. Some of us refused the red scarf and wore blue but we were vastly outnumbered by those who didn't. A lot of them were younger fans which, personally, I can perfectly understand. A lot weren't, although I think most were just taking advatnage of a freebie rather than showing their active support for the rebrand. In any event, I'm not going to criticise them like that twonk who posted on here recently, moaning that he wished other fans had his principles. If you attend matches you are effectively supporting th rebrand whatever your true feelings. As someone who does stil attend I am well aware of that fact.

I have no idea what future plans VT has for the club. There has been talk of changing the stadium colour scheme which makes perfect sense and I suspect will go ahead, if we go up at least. The club has also intimated that the god-awful beermat of a badge will change. Previously this had been thought of as maybe introducing an element of compromise but it could just as easily be to get rid of the Bluebird altogether. Very recently there has been a rumour that VT may indeed seek some sort of compromise with opponents of the rebrand, but his scarf ploy doesn't support that idea and the outcome of that event makes me wonder why on earth he would feel the need.

I also have no idea what I'll do. I had already renewed my ST for next season anyway before Scarfgate. I admit to having similar feelings to CBL when I looked around the ground. But I still can't walk away. Not yet anyway.

Purchasing a season ticket, and re-newing can only be perceived to be tacit approval. There can hardly be a greater protest that withdrawing custom/supporter participation.

You have invested in his vision.

Archived