IGNORED

Albert - Not Working Out

old_eastender

It seems we struggle to keep shape and organisation with Albert on. TBH he hasn't really put in a decent performance for us since M'boro away. Gifted on his day but maybe not good for the 'team' right now?

Could really have done without letting Barnsey cut the GD by two by getting sloppy.

OTOH, he very nearly made two goals that would have put us out of site.

I don't think the issue is necessarily what Albert doesn't do, but what Anderson does do compared to Albert.

We all know what Albert offers in an attacking sense, but he contributes very little defensively. Very often if he loses the ball his head drops and he does not chase back.

Anderson however is a more complete player - he offers he same attacking presence as Adomah, but he also chases back and offers a lot more defensively than Albert.

IMO it was Howard and Kilkenny coming on. The work Kelly does breaking up play infront of the back four goes unnoticed. People kept texting in to RB how our defence is still poor but where did there two late goals come from? Probably where Kelly would have cleaned up from.

IMO it was Howard and Kilkenny coming on. The work Kelly does breaking up play infront of the back four goes unnoticed. People kept texting in to RB how our defence is still poor but where did there two late goals come from? Probably where Kelly would have cleaned up from.

This. They are subs to bring on when chasing a game. We were far too open when they went off.

I didn't understand the substitutions. Bringing on Albert, Kilkenny and Howard for Anderson, Kelly and Pearson definitely weakened us defensively. Kelly had a really good game and disrupted a lot of Barnsley's build up play.

I'm afraid I still see nothing of merit in Kilkenny. Having him and Howard in midfield doesn't look like it'll ever work.

Agree 100%. Liked what i saw from day one and he continues to impress does Kelly.

In lien with everyone else - couldn't agree more. Thought Marv worked bloody hard today as well. Sloppy passes but him and Kelly looked quite solida.

it was interesting to see Anderson on the right wing in comparison with AA. Although it's not a criticism of Albert as such, it's clear to me that Anderson is a far more intelligent player. Albert tends to be all pace and power whereas Anderson is more guile and ingenuity.

I just can't believe it took him so long to get in the team. Woolford ahead of him? Bizarre.

As soon as Kelly went off and howard and Killa came on we lost our shape, Kelly does a lot of hard work and goes unoticed.

Albert is a legend and quite rightly so but we dont look as solid with him in the side, very creative but not as defensive minded as Anderson.

Really think that Albert needs to play with a pacy and/or clever striker in the team who plays on the shoulder of the last man. His best performances have probably been with Maynard or Pitman in the team. Think he will play better once Baldock finally gets fit.

Good point. Have only seen Kelly once but by all accounts does what you say, breaks up play. Many people on here have said we've missed cisse and whilst I'm glad we didn't re-sign him as felt he wasn't fit enough, I agree we have missed that type of player. They often don't get the credit they deserve and do all the 'unfashionable' things.

Never the less, we have done well as a team without Albert so will go with S O'D on whatever he decides about him. Could be good to cash in in the summer tho.

I just wish he would remember that conversation he had with Maynard, that stopped his head down runs into the opposition players, to a player that passed to the feet, or in front of runners in the box - he seems to have resorted back to head down, run, run, run. There again, he is still one of our most potent attacking options.

The problem today as pointed out, Kelly coming off for Kilkenny. Kelly and Elliott were playing their socks of in midfield, their midfielder (was it Perkins - blonde hair guy) - was hassled and forced to make a lot of mistakes that we capitalised on, when Kelly came of - Elliott was stretched and Perkins went from mistake prone to a competent playmaker, collecting the ball from their defence and running / linking / passing the ball and creating chances.

I am also pretty sure, that Pearson.... and I know people will not believe this - nutmegged a defender with a ball played from the outside of his boot, shame the cross/pass to Davies did not go into the net as it was a lovely bit of play.

Bit of a stretch to draw such a conclusion based on a cameo at the end of the game in my opinion. He wasn't on fire today but I wasn't expecting him to be, coming on four goals up in the freezing cold.

I think SOD was right to say we changed the midfield and it cost us two goals, Kilkenny and Howard were a big part of that too.

Adomah did make one quite noticeable mistake though - Stead specifically told Albert to pick up Cywka and Albert ignored him and let him jog into the box unmarked and thump in their second.

Anyway, I think if we played a 442 with Kelly and Elliot or Kelly and Skuse in the middle and Anderson and Adomah wide we'd have a nice balance at home.

Away against tougher teams we could play 451 losing a striker for the other midfielder - hopefully Howard would help us keep the ball a little.

Thought that was by a distance Kelly's best game for us and was genuinely surprised to see him come off.

One of the forum's two favourite whipping boys, (Pearson) was also very good today and we looked far weaker when he came off, too.

Thought that was by a distance Kelly's best game for us and was genuinely surprised to see him come off.

One of the forum's two favourite whipping boys, (Pearson) was also very good today and we looked far weaker when he came off, too.

Yep true on both players accounts, but i did think Marv was back to his best today, really did play well.

Pearson is the most frustrating player I think I have seen, all the attributes to be a very good footballer, but just seems to shut off and not concentrate when making a pass.

Was he usual self, infuriating poor wayward passes, but then, some moments of brilliance, such as the run and nutmeg.

He gets his place through work rate I think, he should be better than he is, if only he would concentrate when picking a simple pass.

Ye the team done great without Albert , but our team gets stronger when he is playing , can't believe people are talking so negative about Albert - a case of ' you don't know what you have until its gone ' . Just enjoy having a player like Albert we don't get to see exciting attacking players to often in the recent past before him have we

Yep true on both players accounts, but i did think Marv was back to his best today, really did play well.

Marv MoM for metoday, broke up play, kept it simple in the pass and 2 assists, not much between him, Stead and Heaton, followed by Kelly who along with Elliott did some very good dirty work

Ye the team done great without Albert , but our team gets stronger when he is playing , can't believe people are talking so negative about Albert - a case of ' you don't know what you have until its gone ' . Just enjoy having a player like Albert we don't get to see exciting attacking players to often in the recent past before him have we

I personally think the team is worse with Albert. He deserves a starting place, but team mates rely on him too much to do something. When Albert is out of the team, players start taking responsibility.

Now if they could do this when Albert was in the team, we would be a much better team

Archived