IGNORED

Nani Sending Off

Super

Not a red in my eyes, but enjoying my day in the office watching the locals do their best impressions of Victor Meldrew.

The fact that it was Nani, who has spent most of his career rolling around on the floor like he has been shot trying to get players booked/sent off, also amuses me greatly. :laughcont:

Roy Keane criticised Nani for being unaware of the opposition player when he kicked him.

Keane, of course, always made sure he knew exactly where the opposition player was before kicking him!

P.S. Meant to add it was never a red. Nani was not going into a tackle, he was merley looking to control a ball that was in the air and had no idea the defender was coing into him from behind. Had Nani been running towards the defender, so he could see him clearly, and with his foot outstretched and raised then I would have no problem with a red card, as the challenge would be dangerous or reckless. It's like saying you are driving down a road at 30 mph and a 5 year old comes running out of their house, down the path and straight out in front of you from between park cars. Would you expect to be charged with dangerous driving if you hit them? If the child was playing in the road , you could see them clearly from 50 yerards away, but stil drove straight into them then it would be dangerous driving.

If that was a red card, then no player can raise his boot above knee level - whether in tackle or not - and every overhead kick in a crowded penalty area must in future be red

carded.

No one wants to see that sort of career ending tackles that used to litter the game back in the 70's and 80's. However, the sort of presecriptive refereeing we see all to often these days is ruining game after game with sending offs for completely inocuous challenges. This is still ( just) a physical contact sport, and the players should expect that from time to time they will get hurt as a result. Players setting out to injure an opponent should be punished, and hard. When an incident happens through an accident or circumstance then common sense should be applied.

In fairness to referees, their job is made infititely harder by players feigning injury, simulation and tryiung to get opponents sent off. I think too many referees know the laws but are not football savvy i.e. don't understand the game from a players point fo view.

Bitter? why waste that emotion on a club/game that shouldn't matter to us ?

Where did I say I was bitter about a club losing ??

I'm bitter that 2 brilliant attacking teams with some great players between them were up against each other in the sport I love to watch and it was ruined by a incompetent referee.

Don't worry chicken I'm not filling the garage up with carbon monoxide.

Playing in a dangerous manner

Pretty sure it can't have been "Playing in a dangerous manner", because you can't get a red for that unless you deny a goalscoring chance - and there was contact.

It would have to have been serious foul play. That basically means using excessive force or brutality. Endangering the safety of an opponent is considered serious foul play and is a red card.

Malice/intent doesn't come into it one bit. It does amaze me how many alleged football professionals (pundits, journos, ex players, managers) seem to think it does.

As an aside, if Nani had been on the receiving end of that challenge he would have rolled around trying to get his opponent sent off, so I have no sympathy.

It wasn't that long ago that Fergie accused a Swansea player of almost killing RVP by kicking a football at him. I really enjoyed watching him storm off the pitch.

BUT....

According to the rules then, every time two players jump for a header and one cops an elbow in the side of the head that is endangering his safety is it not? Plus that keeper came out to punch, missed and smacked Vidic in the head instead so surely that is endangering his safety too? .... Red card?

It was mistimed and they stopped the game, let Vidic have a minute and then got on with the game which is exactly what should happen. Fed up with how soft the game has become.

Pretty sure it can't have been "Playing in a dangerous manner", because you can't get a red for that unless you deny a goalscoring chance - and there was contact.

It would have to have been serious foul play. That basically means using excessive force or brutality. Endangering the safety of an opponent is considered serious foul play and is a red card.

Malice/intent doesn't come into it one bit. It does amaze me how many alleged football professionals (pundits, journos, ex players, managers) seem to think it does.

As an aside, if Nani had been on the receiving end of that challenge he would have rolled around trying to get his opponent sent off, so I have no sympathy.

Playing in a dangerous manner makes me think of the Constable Savage sketch in not the nine o'clock news.

Perhaps we will see players yellow carded for foul and abusive tatoos.

Watched the highlights last night and thought what Andy Townsend said was spot on....it was never a Red Card, was dangerous but not intentional, he also commented that not one single Real Madrid player went up to the referee after the incident and the player got up without complaining (before the card).

Rule book states its a straight red but the referee needed to use common sense and judge as un-intention.

Bit of a bummer though :D

Although intent doesn't matter one bit, I do find it interesting to note Nani's presumed innocence. If that's absolutely the case why did he spend 5 minutes writhing around on the floor when the only thing he hurt was his studs? It's hardly the actions of a man who makes a genuine mistake. In ordinary circumstances a player would put their hand up, acknowledge the error and apologise.

The fact he led prostrate suggests to me a degree of guilt or at least acknowledgement and a play for the referee's sympathy.

How did Man U do last year in the European Cup? I thought they went out early, went into the UEFA thingy and got humiliated early on by lowly Athletic Bilbao. Can't understand how Ferguson can be so "distraught" at getting so far this year.

Fergie is distraught because no one explained to the Turkish ref about the unwritten rule that you don't give decisions against United at Old Trafford.

• Admin

Although intent doesn't matter one bit, I do find it interesting to note Nani's presumed innocence. If that's absolutely the case why did he spend 5 minutes writhing around on the floor when the only thing he hurt was his studs? It's hardly the actions of a man who makes a genuine mistake. In ordinary circumstances a player would put their hand up, acknowledge the error and apologise.

The fact he led prostrate suggests to me a degree of guilt or at least acknowledgement and a play for the referee's sympathy.

Because Arbeloa jumped into him with such force that he spun him round and dumped Nani to the ground? Sounds like dangerous play to me as well.....let's have 'em all sent off :D

I haven't seen it but it was definitely a red.

On the way back from the night's biggest game I tuned to 5Live. They spent the entire 1hr it took me to get home discussing the Nanci sending off. There was also some reference to Fergie's distraught state of mind. I was absolutely loving it, loving it.

Not once did they refer to the biggest game of the night though. The BBC just have no concept that some of us really don't give a monkey's about ManU (except to hope they lose). They might as well rename the station ManUre Radio.

Nani emulated Cantana with a dreadful kung fu kick. Was it a red was it a yellow? It's the refs decision- sometimes you are lucky sometimes you are not. That's football. However, if you are man u then this rule does not apply and you have free reign to lambast every official and every decision that goes against you. You also have 100% media coverage for the next 2 weeks.

Just be thankful we are spared this circus for the rest of the champions league. I just hope Celtic get tonked tonight.

It could be debated for ever with no clear outcome, as it can be interpreted in so many different ways.

The way I see it, it want clear cut enough to be a blatant red, which gives the ref licence to go either way with it.

I just think (putting aside my dislike for man utd/ferguson/itv), I think the ref chose the negative fame killing decision which was a shame, because he really didn't have to. A stern warning along with a yellow would've sufficed, particularly since it was clear that there was no intent.

All those people I've heard saying should've left it are talking nonsense. A tie played at that pace is impossible. For all nani knew, there might have been no one for fifteen yards around him. Imagine how stupid he would've looked!

Why do people hate Man Utd so much, purely due to Fergie ?

I'm not a fan as such but whenever watch them on TV they always play exciting attacking footy and never give up, which is admirable imo. This goes back to the days of Best, Law, Charlton.

Turn it around the other way, if it had been "against" Nani you would have had 75k calling for the RM player to be sent off.

Also, Nani would still be rolling around now!

Man Utd are so used to having everything go there way, they just can't accept things going against them.

I despise them :)

Turn it around the other way, if it had been "against" Nani you would have had 75k calling for the RM player to be sent off.

Also, Nani would still be rolling around now!

Man Utd are so used to having everything go there way, they just can't accept things going against them.

I despise them :)

I'm not so sure though. The fact not a single Real Madrid player remonstrated with the ref after the challenge speaks volumes that they didn't think it was a red either so I doubt the United fans would have done so if it was one of their players on the recieving end. The English game is used to robust clashes is it not?.. If Uefa/Fifa has their way all contact will cease to exist.

I'm not so sure though. The fact not a single Real Madrid player remonstrated with the ref after the challenge speaks volumes that they didn't think it was a red either so I doubt the United fans would have done so if it was one of their players on the recieving end. The English game is used to robust clashes is it not?.. If Uefa/Fifa has their way all contact will cease to exist.

I think most contact above the chest is outlawed already!!!

RM players did remonstrate,I admit I've seen worse remonstration though.

Everyone's an expert on the game and we've all got opinions but there's only one persons opinion that counts and he's the ref.

The overwhelming aspect of this saga is, as Maltshoveller says, the whole lack of class of MUFC, Ferguson and his players especially Ferdinand.

It's all so easy when your winning, but it's what you do when things go against you.

Do I feel sorry for Nani, yell no, I wonder how many he has got red carded through his diving.

Do I feel sorry for Man U, hell no, its about time something went against them at OT

Do I feel sorry for Ferguson, nah, loved seeing his irate face storming down the steps.

Just a shame Rio din't get sent off for getting in the Refs face and clapping.

Spot on - I agree with all the above.

Hopefully FIFA will study the footage of Ferdinand's antics and give him a ban.

Loved seeing them miserable "Mancs" on the news last night, moaning and groaning about the so-called injustice.

Suck it up boys - you're out!

Archived