IGNORED

Nani Sending Off

Super

Why do people hate Man Utd so much, purely due to Fergie ?

I'm not a fan as such but whenever watch them on TV they always play exciting attacking footy and never give up, which is admirable imo. This goes back to the days of Best, Law, Charlton.

Because it's a plastic club with plastic fans. I've only met a few genuine United fans in my life, there are more Man City fans living in Manchester than there is United. The club itself is the Simon Cowell of the sport. Over the years United have had refereeing decisions go there way and injury time added on to suit their own needs. The club itself is run by a bunch of tossers in the Glazers and is constantly on the television and talked about on the radio. The public really don't give a shit about United and I for one cannot wait for the day the club falls down the ladder and those plastic fans head elsewhere.

People dislike Fergie because he is a whining miserable old git who has no sense of honour in football to admit when he has been beaten by a better team or outplayed or even defeated by another managers tactics. He's a 'Grade A' tool which is why to me he is not the greatest manager in the history of British sport.

There is no doubt in my mind Manchester United have been under the scrutiny of match fixing over the years. Too many decisions have gone their way too much over the years to raise my suspicions.

This wasn't the only interestingn call in the game. Red card could be given, could not be given. I dunno- European refs seem to have a stricter interpretation of dangerous or irresponsible play, In PL wouldn't have been a red which leads me onto my next point...

Higuain disallowed goal. Was that really sufficent physical contact to disallow? To call a foul? Again in PL, may well have been allowed and though MU would've had 11 v 11 thjey would also have been 0-1 down v the best counter attacking side in Europe. Swings and roundabouts.

Because it's a plastic club with plastic fans. I've only met a few genuine United fans in my life, there are more Man City fans living in Manchester than there is United. The club itself is the Simon Cowell of the sport. Over the years United have had refereeing decisions go there way and injury time added on to suit their own needs. The club itself is run by a bunch of tossers in the Glazers and is constantly on the television and talked about on the radio. The public really don't give a shit about United and I for one cannot wait for the day the club falls down the ladder and those plastic fans head elsewhere.

People dislike Fergie because he is a whining miserable old git who has no sense of honour in football to admit when he has been beaten by a better team or outplayed or even defeated by another managers tactics. He's a 'Grade A' tool which is why to me he is not the greatest manager in the history of British sport.

There is no doubt in my mind Manchester United have been under the scrutiny of match fixing over the years. Too many decisions have gone their way too much over the years to raise my suspicions.

I lived in Manchester for several years and I know loads of Manchester-born, Old Trafford season ticket holders. I believe you're thinking of all those people in Surrey who buy the shirt, watch them on telly but have never been north of Watford. Man Utd have just as many proper, knowledgable fans as anyone else, they're just lost in the crowd

People hate them because they're good, in the same way that people hated Liverpool in the 80s; we Brits love to see the successful fail. Yes the club and the fans are arrogant and you want to punch them in the face, but I'd be pretty arrogant if City had dominated the English game for the last 20 years.

It was never a red card either- if a city player got sent off for that this forum would be on melt-down. The fact is, a less talented Utd team had controlled Real for 55 min and the ref robbed us interested spectators of what would have been a great last half hour. The implications for the game on challenges like that are troubling; there'll be no tackling soon...

I think the whole 'Man City have more mancunian fans than United' is one of footballs great myths. United have a massive local support..well that's what I noticed when I was at uni up there. That's why Citeh were given the nickname 'Stockports' as many Citeh fans are from greater Manchester, so not 'proper' mancunians.

Can't argue with the rest though.

The problem, as I see it, is naivety. High foot in in England, probability, a lecture maybe a yellow card. That is how we see it in the uk. High boot in most parts of Europe, and you make contact, whole different kettle of fish. Yes the rules are there for the individual ref to interpret. But don't try and second guess a continental ref, the mindset is different to s uk ref.

Fault lays firmly at the feet of the coach. Where the warning should be, no high feet lads, compete in the air, but keep the feet down.

No arguments to be had here as far as I can see. Play like you are playing in Europe, not the uk. Yes the rules should be very clear, but we all know they are interpreted differently in different countries and continents. So why take the risk.

I lived in Manchester for several years and I know loads of Manchester-born, Old Trafford season ticket holders. I believe you're thinking of all those people in Surrey who buy the shirt, watch them on telly but have never been north of Watford. Man Utd have just as many proper, knowledgable fans as anyone else, they're just lost in the crowd

People hate them because they're good, in the same way that people hated Liverpool in the 80s; we Brits love to see the successful fail. Yes the club and the fans are arrogant and you want to punch them in the face, but I'd be pretty arrogant if City had dominated the English game for the last 20 years.

It was never a red card either- if a city player got sent off for that this forum would be on melt-down. The fact is, a less talented Utd team had controlled Real for 55 min and the ref robbed us interested spectators of what would have been a great last half hour. The implications for the game on challenges like that are troubling; there'll be no tackling soon...

I don't think it's anything to do with a national trait of wanting to see success stories fail. Frankly that's just a cheap line trotted out by the papers and those who face flak from public. It's a spent excuse, and tbh, if you look at any nation you'll find the most succesfull side or the most dominant side is frequently the most reviled. it's human nature, not simply a 'british thing' to knock the ones on top.

and yes it was a red card. What goes in the PL doesn't necessarily go in the European game, and it's startlingly insular for us to expect the rest of Europe to be ticking by the standards we have - why on the earth should they? it was certainly a pedantic decision, but to say 'it was never a red card' is loopy.

as for the 'ref robbed us'. no he did not. it was a thrilling climax, and were it not for Utd's profligacy in front of goal the grandstand finish would have happened. blame their shooting boots, not the ref.

Anyone thinking the challenge was a straight red has clearly never played the game. The referee ruined what should have been an epic clash after 60 minutes, for fear of being censured by his equally clueless bosses.

Its all very well gloating about Utd's failure in europe, but don't ever come one here and cry about refereeing decisions again. If that decision was given against City in the final game of the season, needing a point to stay up, the outrage on here would be substantially more hilarious than it normally is.

For the record, I only follow one club so I watched the game as a neutral. For fans of a club at the foot of the Championship to have an anti-Man Utd agenda and rejoice in their misfortune is pathetic, frankly.

Anyone thinking the challenge was a straight red has clearly never played the game. The referee ruined what should have been an epic clash after 60 minutes, for fear of being censured by his equally clueless bosses.

Its all very well gloating about Utd's failure in europe, but don't ever come one here and cry about refereeing decisions again. If that decision was given against City in the final game of the season, needing a point to stay up, the outrage on here would be substantially more hilarious than it normally is.

For the record, I only follow one club so I watched the game as a neutral. For fans of a club at the foot of the Championship to have an anti-Man Utd agenda and rejoice in their misfortune is pathetic, frankly.

why's it pathetic to revel in Utd's failure exactly? it's like being offended when people hiss at Widow Twanky. Hate, envy and bitterness are all part of the rich pantomime that is football. Not all emotions evoked by football are positive, get over it.

why's it pathetic to revel in Utd's failure exactly? it's like being offended when people hiss at Widow Twanky. Hate, envy and bitterness are all part of the rich pantomime that is football. Not all emotions evoked by football are positive, get over it.

Hate, Envy and Bitterness?

Grow up. This is football, not the ******* Gaza strip.

My anti Man Utd agenda stems from living and working in Somerset and being surrounded by people who claim they support them!

The same people who seem to claim they are better supporters than others because there team "wins things".

These same people would not know how to find Manchester on a map.

I've no problem with people with connections to Manchester supporting them,why would I.

Never a red card for me. Clearly trying to control the ball and bring it down. No intent to hurt the player either.

He should have been booked and warned to be careful when having a high foot.

So if a Middlesborough player does the same to one of ours on Saturday........................

My anti Man Utd agenda stems from living and working in Somerset and being surrounded by people who claim they support them!

The same people who seem to claim they are better supporters than others because there team "wins things".

These same people would not know how to find Manchester on a map.

I've no problem with people with connections to Manchester supporting them,why would I.

The debate is about Nani's red card, not the once in a decade opportunity to take the piss out of Man u fans. Like a Bristol City fan has ANY rivalry with even a plastic Man U supporting idiot. The debate is about the ludicrous decision of the referee to spoil the game for millions of neutrals, not for every knuckle-dragging moron to say "serves them right" or "It's about time". As an individual decision, the referee has ruined what was shaping up to be the game of the year, thats the point.

The debate is about Nani's red card, not the once in a decade opportunity to take the piss out of Man u fans. Like a Bristol City fan has ANY rivalry with even a plastic Man U supporting idiot. The debate is about the ludicrous decision of the referee to spoil the game for millions of neutrals, not for every knuckle-dragging moron to say "serves them right" or "It's about time". As an individual decision, the referee has ruined what was shaping up to be the game of the year, thats the point.

It wasn't ruined for me,it was a red card in my opinion, nothing ludicrous about the decision whatsoever. If that challenge was made on a Man Utd player, there would have been outrage in this country if the Madrid player wasn't sent off, and we all know it.

Regarding the last 30 minutes, i more than enjoyed it.

It wasn't ruined for me,it was a red card in my opinion, nothing ludicrous about the decision whatsoever. If that challenge was made on a Man Utd player, there would have been outrage in this country if the Madrid player wasn't sent off, and we all know it.

It was a shocking decision. That game should have been decided (for the benefit of fans and neutrals alike) with all 22 players on the pitch. When it comes down to the referee to decide matches, you might as well toss a coin after the draw is made. There was NO intent from Nani, his eyes were on the ball the whole time. Arbeloa was caught a glancing blow on his arm and went down like he was pole-axed, rolled around for 20 seconds and then bounced up to re-group for the free kick.

It was a yellow, tops. Like I said, when the ref wins matches then no-one can have the right to gloat about it.

It was a shocking decision. That game should have been decided (for the benefit of fans and neutrals alike) with all 22 players on the pitch. When it comes down to the referee to decide matches, you might as well toss a coin after the draw is made. There was NO intent from Nani, his eyes were on the ball the whole time. Arbeloa was caught a glancing blow on his arm and went down like he was pole-axed, rolled around for 20 seconds and then bounced up to re-group for the free kick.

It was a yellow, tops. Like I said, when the ref wins matches then no-one can have the right to gloat about it.

Real Madrid won the match,the referee just did his job. That job is to decide when HE feels a player had overstepped the rules.

Nani may well have been looking at the ball,I can dive in 2 footed with my whole body off the floor and still be looking at the ball!, it doesn't make it right.

As I keep saying! If it was the other way around there would have been outrage about the challenge.

Nani and several Utd players have spent years trying to get opponents sent off with diving and cheating, he got his reward last night.

Referees don't cheat, they give honest decisions,this Ref is one of the best and I back him fully.

I thought the referee was excellent last night, until his brainfart on 59 mins. Hindsight is not a factor in his decision i'm sure, but in my opinion he was over zealous in the extreme to send Nani off. As a consequence, the game as a spectacle was over. I don't care who was the perpetrator or the victim, and I would argue just as much if it was a Real Madrid player who had been sent off!

The referee, by his lack of judgement, has decided a Chapions League knockout tie. Can anyone honestly say that this is of any benefit to the game of football? As for bringing up Nani's and Utd's past, that's totally and completely irrelevant.

You're calling it a shocking decision, but then giving reasons that are completely and utterly irrelevant.

There is nothing whatsover in the rules for serious foul play about intent, or about where someone's eyes are, or whether the player who is fouled dances a little jig in a flamengo dress afterwards.

Why are you criticising the referee on the basis of imaginary rules?

You're calling it a shocking decision, but then giving reasons that are completely and utterly irrelevant.

There is nothing whatsover in the rules for serious foul play about intent, or about where someone's eyes are, or whether the player who is fouled dances a little jig in a flamengo dress afterwards.

Why are you criticising the referee on the basis of imaginary rules?

Where did I mention rules? Thats exactly what happened!

The challenge was a foul, no more (in my opinion). Arbeloa flopped around for half a minute while his team-mates mobbed the referee, the referee made a shocking decision (in my opinion) and sent Nani off. The game was, as a consequence, ruined as a spectacle (imo). This is from a football fan with no love for either Utd or Real. The facts are the facts and my opinion is what it is!

You knows I'm right :)

flagrant red card. if you go in studs up in any situation, you're in trouble, never mind when it's at neck height (while the other player was also jumping!) and more like a kung fu kick than any attempt to control the ball

man united got exactly what they deserved, and can't blame the ref in any way. had it been the other way round, ferguson would have been on the pitch screaming for a red, nani would probably still be rolling around clutching his face and ferdinand wouldn't have embarassed himself like that.

united selected a defence with no pace, and giggs in midfield who has even less, and the madrid forwards ran rings around them, and deservedly won. united only scored though an own goal, and deservedly went out through no influence of the ref, if you exclude the fact he didn't call a penalty for the hand ball by rafael in the area while blocking a header

ferguson now needs to be given a 5 year ban from managing in UEFA tournaments, ferdinand a 3 year ban from all FA and UEFA games, and nani should be handed a 7 match extension to his ban, before having an extra month added to the ban for every dive he's performed trying to get someone sent off in the last 4 seasons, so we won't be seeing him again before 2037

once again man united's constant refusal to sign any proper midfielders was highlighted and they were over run, and now in embarassment at their own ineptitude are trying to scapegoat the ref. frankly, fergie chose to spend 9m on bebe (yes, bebe) instead of signing a midfielder of the quality of khedira, alonso etc, and it showed.

I think it is healthy for Bristol city fans to dislike Manchester United. Football should be a competition where clubs have a degree of equality and the chance of beating each other. Since the introduction of the Prem. English football has been dominated by the same fee clubs. Ok there were big clubs before the prem but it seemed much more equitable before. Unless you have zillions you've no chance.

I would say you clearly have never played the game or watched the game in any other country than England then.

European ref, deal with it and adapt your game, and stop whinging would be what I would be saying to any whinging managers of british teams.

There was a far worse challenge by a Madrid player in the match, the two fisted assault by the keeper on Vidic, when, unlike Nani, he had a clear view of the game in front of him. Vidic's reaction, once he'd recovered, was exemplary and I didn't see too many protests either. Unfortunately your detestation of Man U is fixed and unalterable and you are not open to reasoned debate. We like nothing better in this country than to knock success.

I don't think it's anything to do with a national trait of wanting to see success stories fail. Frankly that's just a cheap line trotted out by the papers and those who face flak from public. It's a spent excuse, and tbh, if you look at any nation you'll find the most succesfull side or the most dominant side is frequently the most reviled. it's human nature, not simply a 'british thing' to knock the ones on top.

and yes it was a red card. What goes in the PL doesn't necessarily go in the European game, and it's startlingly insular for us to expect the rest of Europe to be ticking by the standards we have - why on the earth should they? it was certainly a pedantic decision, but to say 'it was never a red card' is loopy.

as for the 'ref robbed us'. no he did not. it was a thrilling climax, and were it not for Utd's profligacy in front of goal the grandstand finish would have happened. blame their shooting boots, not the ref.

Come off it- we love glorious failure almost as much as success and when that failure is by someone or something that is used to winning, even more so. Regardless- human behaviour or national trait- the root of peoples hatred of Man Utd stems from their success- you can trot out all the ancilliary reasons you like, it come down to their success. I admit I have a soft spot for them (Old Trafford was the first stadium I ever went to) but they're not the first Prem result I look for (Everton- Moyes is a cracking manager and there's a humility to the whole club that is lacking in most other Prem teams these days) so I'm not immune to the arrogance of the fans & the club and the way Fergie treats the Premier League as his own fiefdom, but my points still stand

On the red card, leaving all the points about the rights and wrongs of the red card in relation to the laws of the game (though it was neither "violent" or "endangering an opponent" unless a bit if a bruise is now "dangerous"), what direction do you think these kind of decisions are pushing our game in? Eventually we're going to have a situation where physical contact will be completely banned in any form and will be half a notch above tennis. That's the point at which i'll become a full time egg chasing fan. It might have been ill advised but Nani wasn't travelling toward Arbeloa with any force and while there is no reference to 'intent' in the laws of the game (perhaps there should be), it'd be nice to see a little common sense in football for once

However, I will concede that the end of the game was still pretty exciting and while

I don't think they had clear chances to get back in the game, they could conceivably have still won. Indeed, they conceeded 2 goals they probably shouldn't have done because their concentration was gone

Archived