IGNORED

Biggest Rivalries

Lew-T

Lot of derbies mentioned, what about Palace vs Brighton ?

Pretty heated as well...

And regarding S'Hampton - Pompey, Wikipedia knows this, as some people mentioned the strike story :

"Portsmouth supporters, and occasionally those of other clubs, refer to Southampton supporters as "scum" or "scummers". According to some Portsmouth fans, the term "scum" developed out of an acronym standing for Southampton City (or Corporation) Union Men, with the term allegedly originating from when Southampton dockyard workers supposedly crossed the picket lines in the 1930s when Portsmouth dockyard workers were on strike. However this story is unlikely, as the two cities rely on entirely different types of ports — Southampton being a merchant port and Portsmouth, a naval one. There is also no known record of any strike occurring during the mentioned time period. Rather, this seems to be a modern attempt to incorrectly describe the origins of the rivalry.[5]"

There are so many decent rivalries in this country this argument could go on. and obviously opinion changes depending on who you talk to around the country. my top 5 as follows

Newcastle V Sunderland (is it right the rivalry between these 2 cities dates back to the civil war?)

Villa V Brum

Pompey V Southampton

Sheffield United V Wednesday

Millwall V West Ham

City V Gas would make my top 10, but i could probably name 15 other derbies that you could argue are in with a shout of the top 5. Blackburn V Burnley always looks fiery, as does the welsh derby and palace v brighton. a few years ago Stoke V Port Vale was always a big game as was Watford v luton. one derby i do think is overrated though is Ipswich V Norwich. i bet the atmosphere resembles a big incestuous gang bang.

Lot of derbies mentioned, what about Palace vs Brighton ?

Pretty heated as well...

And regarding S'Hampton - Pompey, Wikipedia knows this, as some people mentioned the strike story :

"Portsmouth supporters, and occasionally those of other clubs, refer to Southampton supporters as "scum" or "scummers". According to some Portsmouth fans, the term "scum" developed out of an acronym standing for Southampton City (or Corporation) Union Men, with the term allegedly originating from when Southampton dockyard workers supposedly crossed the picket lines in the 1930s when Portsmouth dockyard workers were on strike. However this story is unlikely, as the two cities rely on entirely different types of ports — Southampton being a merchant port and Portsmouth, a naval one. There is also no known record of any strike occurring during the mentioned time period. Rather, this seems to be a modern attempt to incorrectly describe the origins of the rivalry.[5]"

I'm glad you posted this, DC. Portsmouth's 'official historian' seems to be perpetuating an urban myth.

I lived in Southampton for a number of years and both Saints and Pompey fans told me that 'scummers' was a Royal Navy derogatory term for the citizens of Southampton and it came from the fairly disgusting water quality of the Solent. Confusingly, some Southampton fans also refer to Portsmouth fans as scummers, however 'skate' is more traditional.

Things were always a bit heavy in Southampton city centre when Pompey came to play, but nothing like the mobile riot that I saw during a Wednesday-United game in Sheffield.

I'd like to add Norwich-Ipswich to the list of bitter rivals. There's rarely violence, but both set of fans have a real loathing of the other.

I have never experienced Mansfield v Chesterfield, but apparently that can be very nasty. It is not just a local derby but it dates back to the miners strike in the 80s and the disagreement between the Notts miners and the Derby miners about whether to sell out to Thatcher.

Another derby that used to be nawty was Chester v Wrexham, like ourselves and Cardiff, the England v Wales element adds to it.

Agree with most of these but it is usually the 'off the radar' local games that aren't seen as obvious rivalries that can be serious flashpoints.

Colchester vs Southend can get very very nasty and also Colchester have got a thing with Wycombe that dates back to when they were both non-league.

You wouldn't wanna be a police officer at either of those fixtures believe me....

I'm glad you posted this, DC. Portsmouth's 'official historian' seems to be perpetuating an urban myth.

I lived in Southampton for a number of years and both Saints and Pompey fans told me that 'scummers' was a Royal Navy derogatory term for the citizens of Southampton and it came from the fairly disgusting water quality of the Solent. Confusingly, some Southampton fans also refer to Portsmouth fans as scummers, however 'skate' is more traditional.

Things were always a bit heavy in Southampton city centre when Pompey came to play, but nothing like the mobile riot that I saw during a Wednesday-United game in Sheffield.

I'd like to add Norwich-Ipswich to the list of bitter rivals. There's rarely violence, but both set of fans have a real loathing of the other.

Dont be a smart arse. i was born in Fratton and have been to many Derbies with my 2 brothers who still i`ve down there. Like you I am just repeating what i have been told.

Dont be a smart arse. i was born in Fratton and have been to many Derbies with my 2 brothers who still i`ve down there. Like you I am just repeating what i have been told.

Not being a smartarse. Just pointing out that your info is an urban myth.

Mine might be inaccurate too, but I've been told it many times and it does at least have the benefit of having some degree of justification in it (ie: the Solent is scummy).

Back to rivalries: I've seen it kick off at Andover Town v Basingstoke.

Not being a smartarse. Just pointing out that your info is an urban myth.

Mine might be inaccurate too, but I've been told it many times and it does at least have the benefit of having some degree of justification in it (ie: the Solent is scummy).

Back to rivalries: I've seen it kick off at Andover Town v Basingstoke.

It used to go off when Bridgwater played Taunton and Yeovil in the 60's and 70's.

Was just thinking what are the biggest rivalries in English football? Doesn't have to be local rivalry as such i.e. Us and Palace. My top 5 though:

Liverpool v Everton

Brum v Villa

Newcastle v Sunderland

West Ham v Millwall

ManU v ManC

Non local:

Swindon v Oxford

City v Palace, Reading, Stoke, QPR?

West ham v Sheff Utd

Millwall v Leeds

Brum v Palace

Portsmouth v Southampton and what about Palace vs Charlton?

Portsmouth v Southampton and what about Palace vs Charlton?

Palace and Brighton? They just despise eachother as they haven't got anybody else to shed their hate on. Scummers and skates though I would agree with.

The north London derby isn't as fierce and passionate than the usual local derby I don't think. I think Spurs class Chelsea or West ham more of a rival

Have you been to a North London derby? because they are as fierce as it gets, certainly puts the bristol one into perspective

Palace and Brighton? They just despise eachother as they haven't got anybody else to shed their hate on. Scummers and skates though I would agree with.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/football-league-blog/2011/sep/27/brighton-crystal-palace-rivalry

My boss, a Palace fan, did tell me the reason why they hate each other but I can't quite remember it, but I found this link.

Working in Hammersmith with mostly Chelsea, Spurs, QPR (and a smattering of others), I've found that the Spurs/Arsenal rivalry is huge as others have said. They really do hate each other. But what did surprise me was the size of Spurs rivalry with Chelsea & West Ham. I always knew it was there but not on such a big scale. It really is bitter.

Funnily enough, the 1 or 2 Fulham fans who work at my place don't strike me as having much of a rivalry with anyone. Their rivalry with Chelsea is tame compared to others in my experience.

Another surprise to me was Brentfords hatred of QPR (although all of the guys I work with who support London teams hate QPR because their supporters seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. Apparently they think they're alot bigger than they are.). I think it has a lot to do with Martin Rowlands signing for them years ago but may have more to it than that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/football-league-blog/2011/sep/27/brighton-crystal-palace-rivalry

My boss, a Palace fan, did tell me the reason why they hate each other but I can't quite remember it, but I found this link.

Working in Hammersmith with mostly Chelsea, Spurs, QPR (and a smattering of others), I've found that the Spurs/Arsenal rivalry is huge as others have said. They really do hate each other. But what did surprise me was the size of Spurs rivalry with Chelsea & West Ham. I always knew it was there but not on such a big scale. It really is bitter.

Funnily enough, the 1 or 2 Fulham fans who work at my place don't strike me as having much of a rivalry with anyone. Their rivalry with Chelsea is tame compared to others in my experience.

Another surprise to me was Brentfords hatred of QPR (although all of the guys I work with who support London teams hate QPR because their supporters seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. Apparently they think they're alot bigger than they are.). I think it has a lot to do with Martin Rowlands signing for them years ago but may have more to it than that.

I knew Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham were fierce rivals but I've never really seen Arsenal as one yet they are locally closer. However, seeing some of these posts have changed my mind. I've never really got the hate between Palace and Brighton, has it always been there?

I don't understand why Charlton have never been a rival for palace? They are only 11 miles apart!

Didn't Brentford have 'flush over Fulham' painted on the top of one of their stands a while back so the pilots passing over into Heathrow could read it? Or maybe I saw it on the front of their fanzone

Swindon vs Gillingham is pretty tasty too, as I'm sure RichTFSC could testify too. Went on a stag in Benidorm with a load of Gills fans, they really f'ing hate them, and my Swindon mate fully reciprocates the feeling!

Have you been to a North London derby? because they are as fierce as it gets, certainly puts the bristol one into perspective

Yes, several and at both stadiums. It is not that intense considering its size. Fans allowed to leave the stadium at the same time in the eighties, even pay on the day for the North Bank when Roberts put Nicholas over the hoardings.

It did put City Rovers into perspective, the Bristol derby is obviously smaller, but more partisan and in your face in contrast.

Didn't Brentford have 'flush over Fulham' painted on the top of one of their stands a while back so the pilots passing over into Heathrow could read it? Or maybe I saw it on the front of their fanzone

Swindon vs Gillingham is pretty tasty too, as I'm sure RichTFSC could testify too. Went on a stag in Benidorm with a load of Gills fans, they really f'ing hate them, and my Swindon mate fully reciprocates the feeling!

Sorry but Swindon and Gills? First I've heard.

Archived