IGNORED

Biggest Rivalries

Lew-T

Was just thinking what are the biggest rivalries in English football? Doesn't have to be local rivalry as such i.e. Us and Palace. My top 5 though:

Liverpool v Everton

Brum v Villa

Newcastle v Sunderland

West Ham v Millwall

ManU v ManC

Non local:

Swindon v Oxford

City v Palace, Reading, Stoke, QPR?

West ham v Sheff Utd

Millwall v Leeds

Brum v Palace

I quite enjoy people's view on rivalries and how they change.

People never realise just how big Spurs v West Ham is. Although everyone bangs on about the North London derby, Tottenham are only a short bus ride away and they despise each other.

Similarly, although everyone thinks of West Ham v Millwall, yet Chelsea v Millwall in the 80's and 90's was huge and really ugly at times.

I suppose it's like us and Cardiff. People on the outside just assume Swans v Cardiff and us v rovers, yet as previous forum debates have shown, it's not that clear cut.

In terms of just nastiness, Man U Leeds is worse than Man u Man C.

In no particular order.

Man Utd v Liverpool

Man Utd v Leeds

Liverpool v Everton

Newcastle v Sunderland

Leeds v Chelsea

Cardiff v Swansea

Southampton V Pompey

This one often sneaks under the radar, in part due to Saints image, but i've got friends on both sides of it and it's a lot more passionate than most people give it credit for.

Everton v Liverpool is probably the most passionate, though away from the pitch it tends to be friendly as the rivalry often splits friends and families.

The Manchester derby, Liverpool v Man Utd and to an extent Everton v Man Utd are obviously much more hostile.

The Bristol derby was definitely up there...

Was just thinking what are the biggest rivalries in English football? Doesn't have to be local rivalry as such i.e. Us and Palace. My top 5 though:

Liverpool v Everton

Brum v Villa

Newcastle v Sunderland

West Ham v Millwall

ManU v ManC

Non local:

Swindon v Oxford

City v Palace, Reading, Stoke, QPR?

West ham v Sheff Utd

Millwall v Leeds

Brum v Palace

Strange....! You think that Our biggest rivalries are those ones, as opposed to Rovers, Cardiff, Swindon or even Swansea or Plymouth..?!

The north London derby isn't as fierce and passionate than the usual local derby I don't think. I think Spurs class Chelsea or West ham more of a rival

Whilst I would agree that Spurs vs Chelsea and West Ham are vicious, don't underestimate Spurs vs Arsenal

We were at Charlton a while back on the same day it was the North London derby. We picked the wrong pub to have a swift half in town, place was trashed in about 15 mins flat. They really don't like each other, trust me!

From a City point of view, no matter how many times I've watched us play R*vers or C*rdiff the places I used to hate going were Swindon and Plymouth. Never felt safe against either of those

This one often sneaks under the radar, in part due to Saints image, but i've got friends on both sides of it and it's a lot more passionate than most people give it credit for.

Very very heavy, that one. Merchant Navy v Royal Navy historically...

Very very heavy, that one. Merchant Navy v Royal Navy historically...

This has more to it than just football. Southampton docks took the work from the striking Pompey dockers (rather than support them) pre war and left women and children to starve to death. It has split families down the years and is why Southampton are called Scummers.

The north London derby isn't as fierce and passionate than the usual local derby I don't think. I think Spurs class Chelsea or West ham more of a rival

I live in London and have a lot of Spurs/Gooner mates. They hate each other, absolutely hate each other, trust me. I tend to find Spurs fans are almost as concerned with Arsenal's failures as they are with their own successes.

This has more to it than just football. Southampton docks took the work from the striking Pompey dockers (rather than support them) pre war and left women and children to starve to death. It has split families down the years and is why Southampton are called Scummers.

Ahem. Saints are called that due to the esturine nature of the Solent. Pompey are called Skates due to rude things sailors allegedly do to fish. Anyway, I just want to mention the Sheffield rivalry - derbies are mayhem!

I think the football pools did a survey into this in 2008 Wolves vs WBA came out on top if memory serves.

Think city-rovers was 7th/8th.

It also threw up some of the less heard of (nowadays anyway) such as luton-watford and Grimsby-S****horpe in the top 20 which I think would surprise some.

I thought this was the story behind the West Ham - Millwall rivalry?

Everton - Liverpool is surely a friendly rivalry compared with Liverpool - Man Utd - Leeds Utd.

No one has mentioned AFC Bitton - Keynsham.

Whilst I would agree that Spurs vs Chelsea and West Ham are vicious, don't underestimate Spurs vs Arsenal

We were at Charlton a while back on the same day it was the North London derby. We picked the wrong pub to have a swift half in town, place was trashed in about 15 mins flat. They really don't like each other, trust me!

From a City point of view, no matter how many times I've watched us play R*vers or C*rdiff the places I used to hate going were Swindon and Plymouth. Never felt safe against either of those

Plymuff and Swindle,never once felt threatened.Scariest place Millwall at the old den.Locally never been any where that we haven't completely taken over.

Had a man city mate join me for the infamouse pitch invasion live on sky bristol derby at the gate

As soon as we got to the top of the stairs into the dolman accompanied by the loudest i've ever heard chant of

"stand up if you hate the gas" roaring around three sides of the ground he turned to me an said

" **** me, intimidating or what ! "....and he goes regularly to manchester derbies

Ahem. Saints are called that due to the esturine nature of the Solent. Pompey are called Skates due to rude things sailors allegedly do to fish. Anyway, I just want to mention the Sheffield rivalry - derbies are mayhem!

We`re both wrong but you`re more wrong than me!!

Richard Owen, Honorary Club Historian for Portsmouth Football Club said: "Southampton Company Union men would regularly travel to Portsmouth for work, and vice versa.

"When football arrived around 1900, the Pompey fans used the union's acronym [s.C.U.M.] as a derogatory term for their opposing men."

Had a man city mate join me for the infamouse pitch invasion live on sky bristol derby at the gate

As soon as we got to the top of the stairs into the dolman accompanied by the loudest i've ever heard chant of

"stand up if you hate the gas" roaring around three sides of the ground he turned to me an said

" **** me, intimidating or what ! "....and he goes regularly to manchester derbies

Even the Glos cup games were intimidating,younger fans will never understand how vicious it was.

Archived