IGNORED

Pitman

leadman

Funny how getting support and affirmation makes a player produce goals eh yet on another thread booing is supposed to make our players feel the love, you could not make it up. I wonder how old some of the posters are because they sounds very churlish and naive. Fair play to Pitman. He must be very relieved to be out of it with us

I always maintained that Stead/Pitman could have been a great partnership if given the chance to gel. As many have said we had Stead, Pitman, and Taylor at the start of the season, we didn't need Davies and Baldock. Just one of those and we'd be a lot better off financially for a start.

We have to find a new Jon Stead next season as he's the only striker we have who brings the best out of our other strikers.

I say new because I suspect we won't be able to afford the current one in the division below.

What I expect to see next season is 4 or 5 kids from the Academy, three players from Botswana and the dross left over from this season which nobody else wants.

So Pitman can score goals in league 1, we knew that before we signed him. Whether he's good enough for the championship is another question entirely.

Well he scored goals in the chsmpionship as well.

Peoples problem with him as I saw it, they thought he was lazy.

I liked him personally. made very clever runs without the ball, and was possibly the most instinctive natural finisher I have seen down here. His stand out feature, not taking a touch and getting the shot off early.

I think managers missed a trick with Brett. They looked at his lack of workrate rather than what he was actually good at.

Well he scored goals in the chsmpionship as well.

Peoples problem with him as I saw it, they thought he was lazy.

I liked him personally. made very clever runs without the ball, and was possibly the most instinctive natural finisher I have seen down here. His stand out feature, not taking a touch and getting the shot off early.

I think managers missed a trick with Brett. They looked at his lack of workrate rather than what he was actually good at.

I agree again. Unfortunately many at Ashton Gate can't see beyond how much a player runs around. Some names over the years like Dinning and Wilkshire have also been vilified for their lack of workrate, Recently Albert has been accused of being defensively lazy.

What I'd really like to see at Ashton Gate is a cultured midfielder, technically good, with decent skill who isn't simply expected to tear around the pitch at 100mph all game. We've had too many of them in recent years.

I agree again. Unfortunately many at Ashton Gate can't see beyond how much a player runs around. Some names over the years like Dinning and Wilkshire have also been vilified for their lack of workrate, Recently Albert has been accused of being defensively lazy.

What I'd really like to see at Ashton Gate is a cultured midfielder, technically good, with decent skill who isn't simply expected to tear around the pitch at 100mph all game. We've had too many of them in recent years.

Exactly. Every player has a purpose. If you can can each player getting close to doing what they do best, you have a chance. If you try to change a players game, why bother signing him would be my overiding question.

We know he can score goals if you put the ball to his feet around the box - point is, he wouldn't score for us in this team any more than Baldock, Davies can because we have possesion (100%) we just hoof the ball 30-40 yards and hope to win the header in a 50-50..... and we wonder why we are constantly under pressure during games.

For me the problem with Pitman was he went through long periods of games (and even series ofgames) where he was completely ineffective, where the game just passed him by. This was partly down to lack of service but also a lack of willingness to make himself avaliable. When people talk about laziness it's not just not closing down, harrying defenders e.t.c, but also not making runs, moving into space when we were on the ball. Many games he simply didn't look bothered.

Also, i think his finishing ability is overstated - he's not exactly Jordan Rhodes! He scored some quality goals in his time here but also missed numerous chances. His link up play wasn't particularly good either, and he didn't manage to form a partnership with either Maynard or Stead. He didn't have the pace of Baldock or the technical ability of Davies.

He's proven he's a top quality league 1 striker, but he's yet to prove he's got enough about him to quite cut it at championship level. Who knows, if Bournemouth go up he might be able to do it next season, but he didn't in his time here imo.

Getting the best out of players is not a strongpoint in recent years! For every player that has gone on to bigger things (Orr possibly Maynard) there are probably twenty that have gone in the wrong direction. I liked Pitman and it's difficult to argue that we were better selling him for what we did than buying Baldock for what we did.

Disagree with that, his link up play was brilliant.

Some people just dislike the lad.

Exactly, he had a load of vision and the touch and passing to use it. People confuse running around like a headless chicken with effectiveness too often.

Hello :) I'm a norwegian Bournemouth-fan and and I was delighted when Pitman came home.. The thing about him is that he needs to be in a team that creates chances. You have struggled in the championship a while, and Pitman will seem lazy then. He is not a player that runs around chasing long balls. But when a team is dominating the game, Pitman will always be there to put chances away.. And I have no doubt that Pitman could score in all divisions cause he is a natural goal-scorer. He has now scored in 6 games in a row (no penaties). His goal/game-rate is 0.70 (and thats with a pretty slow start due to not having played mutch before).

I may have been a tad harsh on his link up play in fairness, although his amazing passing and vision led to 5 assists in his time here. By comparison, Stead got 11 in the same period.

And there's a difference between not running round like a headless chicken and sitting on your marker for 90 minutes waiting for something to happen. If you look at Baldock for example he's not Stead-esque in his running round charging down defenders, but when we're on the ball he's always making a run, looking to get in behind or get into space. Pitman made the occasional clever run in the final third, but all too regularly let the game pass him by without making any impact on it.

Archived