IGNORED

Now That We Are Down

BS3_RED

The home defeat against Woves was the start for me. The board should have acted then, ok we wouldn't have got the charismatic SOD but I'm pretty sure we would have stood a far better chance of getting out of the shit we found ourselves in.

Anyway we are where we are nothing can be done about it onwards and upwards to Crawley, Carlisle, Crewe, Gillingham etc etc

There should be questions asked. Clearly the greater context needs to be considered. For example you can't dismiss advantages other clubs have over us. Many of course receive millions in parachute payments. Others also have stadiums and infrastructure that generate revenue we can't compete with. Competing in the Championship has always been an uphill struggle with disadvantages.

Having said that I think our summer/autumn recruitment policy was what less us down. The signings of Morris, Carey, Baldock and Davies were questionable all questionable in the context of not signing Cisse/Amougou or replacements. Not signing Elliot Ward was probably also a mistake.

For me so much of our season has been about covering up defensive frailties. Too many of our team selections have been set up negatively to cover defensive gaps. This is why we have a midfield almost entirely consisting of scrappers and chasers. The more creative players like Kilkenny haven't had a look in because he isn't suited to the defensive stuff. Consequently, when attacking we've lacked imagination and tended to rely on Adomah to do it all (in general over the season if not so much under SOD). I think it was a vicious cycle started from a an early failure to replace Carey (and Caulker even) as a dominant, reliable right centre back.

The worst thing is that many (if not all of us) could see it coming for years,

fka digest has it in one - been coming for years

At the start of the season did anyone seriously think we'd assembled a squad capable of competing at Championship level? Granted we had a few great results - but surely everyone was shocked by them?

Come to that did anyone think Millen had assembled a competitive squad the previous season? Or Coppell for that matter.

The last time we emerged from pre-season with a tested and complete squad which had cover in all areas and the creative spark to win matches regularly was the last year of GJ's tenure...when Sno and Hartley promised so much and for the early part of the season delivered.

If the ground work isn't done then the season is a struggle.

And we did see it coming - each year.

Yes, parachute payments have a part to play in leaving us uncompetitive. But ultimately the fault lies in the boardroom where poor managerial appointments and a failure to develop a consistent approach to remaining in the Championship have let us down.

I recall a conversation with Gary before he left in which he said that the first responsibility of any manager in this division was to avoid relegation. Something he set us up to do each season. Some on here didn't like his defensive approach...but at least it left something to aim for once the season was well under way.

The home defeat against Woves was the start for me. The board should have acted then, ok we wouldn't have got the charismatic SOD but I'm pretty sure we would have stood a far better chance of getting out of the shit we found ourselves in.

Anyway we are where we are nothing can be done about it onwards and upwards to Crawley, Carlisle, Crewe, Gillingham etc etc

+1..they dragged their collective feet,not suprised they were indecisive really!!..that and the epic that is waiting for the central defensive issue to be addressd..Stevenidge Borough,anyone???

Been on a downward spiral since Hull but should never have got rid of Gary Johnson, in my opinion.

:rofl2br:

How could you keep on a manager after his antics of gross misconduct?

The rot started after the play-off final. Failure to strengthen that summer was the beginning of the end. No manager since has strengthened adequately. Whether thats down to the board or those managers remains a mystery.

Didnt City need a decent CB under Millen? and guess what? he still hasn't arrived.

Been on a downward spiral since Hull but should never have got rid of Gary Johnson, in my opinion.

Actually the downward spiral started during GJ's final two seasons, IMO Gary was just as bad as all managers we've employed since, by that i mean with regard to the fact that our CB's are too weak without an ageing Carey alongside them, also failure to sort out our lack of creativity season after season.

There's always a bit of rewriting history on this forum.

The season after the play-offs was one of our better efforts as a club. Had we not conceded that late equaliser in the home match against Cardiff there was every chance we'd have made the play-offs for a second time. I watched us play 38 matches that season. We had a perfectly good squad for the Championship. But we conceded far too many late goals to win enough matches.

The following summer - Johnson's last pre-season - I believe we did try to strengthen. It didn't work. But on paper we had a competitive squad that retained a Championship position pretty comfortably.

The wheels fell off the wagon after Coppell's appointment. And they've never been properly re-attached.

Its been a difficult few years for us at the club, but for me the issues started as far back as last season and beyond. We have consistently refused to sort out the issue of central midfield and central defence. We've stuck with the same players through the centre of the park regardless of results. We've been crying out for a leader in the centre now for 3, maybe even 4 seasons. For me we have never replaced Paul Hartley!! And that is shocking. We've tried and tested a number of centre backs, but again we've never really found that Shaun Taylor / Steven Caulker that we've needed to breed confidence.

Not only have we refused to deal with obvious issues in midfield and defence, and to be fair this does include SOD's refusal to use the loan market, but the board have to take, and for me a little bit of responsibility for not acting sooner on our obvious freefall. I understand it's difficult for someone like SL to admit he was wrong in recruiting a manager, but I think this has cost us dearly. It didn't take a UEFA qualified tactician to see that McInnes was out of his depth at this level and the decision not to act sooner on his sacking is also a big factor, but not the main one.

Another gripe that I've got is not even approaching Billy Davies, he was the perfect fit for the club, as a number of people on here pointed out at the time. He was exactly the manager we needed. Anyway, all if's and buts now, and we've got the benefit of hinesite. The club need us the fans more than ever, and yes SL and the board have made mistakes, but at the same time they also put us in the league in the first place, and I'm confident that they will do the same again. We've got a great club that is financially secure. We've got a new stadium on the way, whether that be at Ashton Gate or Ashton Vale. We need to play our part next season in raising us to where we should be, so lets suck it in, take it on the chin, and lets get behind the boys next season.

CITY TILL I DIE

There's always a bit of rewriting history on this forum.

Indeed.

The season after the play-offs was one of our better efforts as a club. Had we not conceded that late equaliser in the home match against Cardiff there was every chance we'd have made the play-offs for a second time. I watched us play 38 matches that season. We had a perfectly good squad for the Championship. But we conceded far too many late goals to win enough matches.

The following summer - Johnson's last pre-season - I believe we did try to strengthen. It didn't work. But on paper we had a competitive squad that retained a Championship position pretty comfortably.

The wheels fell off the wagon after Coppell's appointment. And they've never been properly re-attached.

Its been a difficult few years for us at the club, but for me the issues started as far back as last season and beyond. We have consistently refused to sort out the issue of central midfield and central defence. We've stuck with the same players through the centre of the park regardless of results. We've been crying out for a leader in the centre now for 3, maybe even 4 seasons. For me we have never replaced Paul Hartley!! And that is shocking. We've tried and tested a number of centre backs, but again we've never really found that Shaun Taylor / Steven Caulker that we've needed to breed confidence.

Not only have we refused to deal with obvious issues in midfield and defence, and to be fair this does include SOD's refusal to use the loan market, but the board have to take, and for me a little bit of responsibility for not acting sooner on our obvious freefall. I understand it's difficult for someone like SL to admit he was wrong in recruiting a manager, but I think this has cost us dearly. It didn't take a UEFA qualified tactician to see that McInnes was out of his depth at this level and the decision not to act sooner on his sacking is also a big factor, but not the main one.

Another gripe that I've got is not even approaching Billy Davies, he was the perfect fit for the club, as a number of people on here pointed out at the time. He was exactly the manager we needed. Anyway, all if's and buts now, and we've got the benefit of hinesite. The club need us the fans more than ever, and yes SL and the board have made mistakes, but at the same time they also put us in the league in the first place, and I'm confident that they will do the same again. We've got a great club that is financially secure. We've got a new stadium on the way, whether that be at Ashton Gate or Ashton Vale. We need to play our part next season in raising us to where we should be, so lets suck it in, take it on the chin, and lets get behind the boys next season.

CITY TILL I DIE

You are the most consistent poster of nonsense on this forum. Seemingly every post is complete and utter crap.

How would employing the biggest spending manager in the league beneficial to BCFC? Firstly, you don't know he wasn't approached, just like you don't know he applied.....the fact is we need to cut and Davies would be the WORST manager in this situation. We need someone who can scoure te lower leagues, not spend their way and then kick off if he doesn't get his way.

Did you want Mcinnes gone in the summer? No you didn't, because up until then he did a good job.....so this UEFA tactician bollocks you have posted is pointless and irrelevant.

One of the most clueless and flawed posters on this forum.

Started when the owner started changing his mind imo. From wanting top experienced manager to first time manager in 3 months. We have been floundering since.

The fiasco and the money spent supporting that fiasco put us back seasons imo

The Davies spending gazillions myth has been busted so many times on this forum it's untrue. Who is going on hyperbole rather than fact?

In 2010 alone he made 8 summer signings at a total of 6 million on big wages.....and what happened when he didn't get his way? Threw a massive strop......just what we need when we need to cut down our costs.

Myth my arse.

Regardless of what mistakes the board have made or previous managers have made in the past, DMC should have gone after the 2-0 home defeat to Charlton. Easy to say now, but I did say it at the time.

We had made absolutely no progress and were completely toothless and gutless in that game. The writing was well and truly on the wall that game and we didn't act quick enough.

Regardless of what mistakes the board have made or previous managers have made in the past, DMC should have gone after the 2-0 home defeat to Charlton. Easy to say now, but I did say it at the time.

We had made absolutely no progress and were completely toothless and gutless in that game. The writing was well and truly on the wall that game and we didn't act quick enough.

As soon as he said he was after centre defenders and didn't get any, and then say our centre midfield was fine, it didn't need a creative spart or ball player, for me his time was up. So last pre season-end of te transfer window did it for me.

As soon as he said he was after centre defenders and didn't get any, and then say our centre midfield was fine, it didn't need a creative spart or ball player, for me his time was up. So last pre season-end of te transfer window did it for me.

Yep. Completely and utterly out of his depth I am afraid.

2010... You mean the Summer he signed Madjewski for 1 Million erm, and that's it.. Are you sure you mean 2010?

Did you mean 2009 when he signed McGoldrick for 1 million, Paul Anderson for 250k, Dele on a free, Lee Camp (rumoured) 100k, Chris Gunter 1.75 Million, Paul McKenna 750k, Joel Lynch 200k and Dexter Blackstock (rumoured) 1.5million. So that's 1+0.25+0+0.1+1.75+0.75+0.2+1 = 5 Million.. So again not 6 Million and again not hyped up as I said before.

That same summer we spent £2.5Million on transfer fees inc for Gerken, Campbell-Ryce, Clarkson, Haynes and Nyatanga, plus loan fees for Sno which werent included etc etc.. iirc.

So in other words you don't know, lee camp was not signed for 100k it was 250k and thats just starters, making these "rumoured" facts and numbers up is just desperate and unecceasary.

How about his time at Derby?

Claude Davies - £3 million

Ron Earnshaw - £3.5 million

Kenny Miller - £3 million

And that's just for starters. What happened to Derby? Nigel Clough has saved their arses on youth and the lower leagues largely down Billy Davies nearly running them into the ground.

THIS IS WHY we shouldnt have been own for Davies, especially considering the financial restraints we currently have.

You are the most consistent poster of nonsense on this forum. Seemingly every post is complete and utter crap.

How would employing the biggest spending manager in the league beneficial to BCFC? Firstly, you don't know he wasn't approached, just like you don't know he applied.....the fact is we need to cut and Davies would be the WORST manager in this situation. We need someone who can scoure te lower leagues, not spend their way and then kick off if he doesn't get his way.

Did you want Mcinnes gone in the summer? No you didn't, because up until then he did a good job.....so this UEFA tactician bollocks you have posted is pointless and irrelevant.

In your opinion. This is a forum for debate an opinions is it not? And I am entitled to mine, so why the abuse? Maybe you could try debating, or is that too mature for you? or maybe you should just insult. As another poster has pointed out, Davies spending loads of cash is rubbish. So i suggest you get your facts right my friend before pointing out my "crap".

No I didn't want him sacking int he summer, but it was blatantly obvious WAY before we actually sacked Mcinnes that it wasn't working.

So what else do you disagree with?

:rofl2br:

How could you keep on a manager after his antics of gross misconduct?

Is that a fact? I have never seen the man charged with anything. You should be careful what you accuse someone off mucker. Lets see the evidence please.

You cannot argue with the stats.. since GJ has gone the wagon has well and truly come off the rails; oh for mid table mediocrity under Gary now.

In your opinion. This is a forum for debate an opinions is it not? And I am entitled to mine, so why the abuse? Maybe you could try debating, or is that too mature for you? or maybe you should just insult. As another poster has pointed out, Davies spending loads of cash is rubbish. So i suggest you get your facts right my friend before pointing out my "crap".

No I didn't want him sacking int he summer, but it was blatantly obvious WAY before we actually sacked Mcinnes that it wasn't working.

So what else do you disagree with?

It would be impossible to debate with you. Your opinions and lack of knowledge is so off reality there is no point.

Davies spent £9 million on Claude Davies, Kenny Miller and Rob Earnshaw.....all flopped. Doesn't spend big does he?

It would be impossible to debate with you. Your opinions and lack of knowledge is so off reality there is no point.

Davies spent £9 million on Claude Davies, Kenny Miller and Rob Earnshaw.....all flopped. Doesn't spend big does he

Press ignore then petal.

Is that a fact? I have never seen the man charged with anything. You should be careful what you accuse someone off mucker. Lets see the evidence please.

You cannot argue with the stats.. since GJ has gone the wagon has well and truly come off the rails; oh for mid table mediocrity under Gary now.

I was assuming that losing it then threatening and holding an employee up against a wall was gross misconduct. What would you call it?

Archived