IGNORED

Players You've Met

sglosbcfc

I've met Tony Thorpe a few times. Well, first I met him as a scout at a Kidderminster Harriers game. Then he went on to become my coach when I was playing football in the MJPFL. Contrary to what a lot of people say, he was always a really decent guy when it came to Bristol. Couldn't speak highly enough of the city or the people.

Oh and after the England game versus Ghana a few years ago, James Milner was behind me and my mates in the queue at McDonalds. He has a huge chin.

Met the whole Forest 89 squad playing a pre-season warm-up at a very small club while on holiday just outside Bordeaux. I sat in a tiny stand next to Steve Hodge. Got the autographs of

Nigel Clough

Lee Chapman

Steve Hodge

Franz Carr

Des Walker

Steve Sutton

Only one that wouldn't sign was Stuart Pearce. He was just stood around doing nothing and said something like "maybe later". Yes Stuart.

I also sat next to and had a good chat with Harry Redknapps dad when we played Liverpool in the cup, until the lights went out that is. I didn't know him at first so I asked why someone with a cockney accent was at the game and he said his grandson was playing for Liverpool. I looked at him again and it all fell into place!

Late 60's the City coach broke down late at night right outside our house. Had the entire squad sat on our wall. Fortunately for them we were on the red side of the NW Bristol 'frontline'. Trevor Tainton got the autographs from all the players on a team photo - still got it in the loft somewhere

Also met the TV/radio presenter Mark Saggers in Tobago. Nice chap, in fact, saved my life when I fell out of a sea kayak mid ocean. He/his wife (also a TV presenter) had some interesting stories about 'celebs'.

Leroy Lita - Met him around 10 years ago, he was in a rush in town but still stopped to have photos taken with me and my mates, was actually really sound which will surprise many.

Scott Murray - Top bloke, stopped him in Cabot about a year ago as he was walking through with his City tracksuit on and had a good chat, wanted to speak more about his holidays than City really!!!

Luke Wilkshire - Was fine from what i remember, stopped him for an autograph around the same time as meeting Lita.

Probably a few more but can't really remember, i think Christian Roberts at an away friendly at Team Bath a long time ago.

Was also brought up playing football with Marlon Jackson and Reuben Reid, both nice lads, though Reuben has always had an edge to him, perhaps just competitive, went to school with Jennison Myrie Williams. Also Sean Rigg ex Rovers went to the same college at Filton, he walked around like he was David Beckham, properly loved himself, nobody deserves what happened to him a few years ago when he had his jaw broken in an FA cup game at Barrow but i can't say it surprised me :dunno:

Terry Cooper & Jo Jordan both happy to stop and chat at the ground when I happened to come across them on separate occasions.

Chris Garland most apologetic when he stood on my then G/F's (now the Mrs!) foot in Raquels a long time a go.

Paul Cheesley happy to chat at a Quo concert in the Colston Hall a few years ago.

Cole Skuse last year in Vassal's park quietly spoken but quite sociable, we were both out walking our dogs.

Louis Carey quite a few times, friend of a friend. Top bloke enjoys a laugh & has a great sense on humour. Still our best central defender IMO.

Myself and a couple of mates spoke briefly to Terry Cooper in the Grandstand after a poor home game..........so he invited us into his office to discuss the game and ask us for our opinion!!.....Really down to earth yorkshireman who spoke his mind and bought us all a drink....good times

Off the top of my head

Alan Walsh - Best mates with his son. Top bloke is big Al

Teddy Sheringham - At Malaga airport. He was sound.

Lee Peacock - I also met him in Magaluf in 2002.. He was walking down the street with a bottle of captain Morgan during pre season. Always liked to stop and chat.

Junior Agogo - he bought us some aftershocks!

Scott Murray - in the Works & Mbargo.. He was smashed

Alex Russell - in Clifton. Really nice bloke

David Noble & McCombe - ended up on a night out with these two on separate occassions. Noble really is a wreck head! McCombe is a great bloke.

Peter Shilton - Met him at Ashton Gate whilst he was Plymouth manager at one of my first ever games.

Keith Waugh - watched the playoff final in 2008 sat next to him by chance.

I saw Tony Adams at the gate whilst he was on a scouting mission for Pompey..he is an absolute beast of a man!

Pretty much the same as everyone else on here, so a few different ones

Marc Goodfellow and Lee Miller they were nice blokes, stopped for a chat

Fonts, despite being with his missus and kid was happy for a quick chat too

Carl Hutchings, awful player, but had a good chat with him in Gap one day, his missus was of the highest order

Wayne Allison, top bloke. Just smiled and laughed all the way through the conversation. Bob Taylor was also in on that chat, legend

Outside of football, met a few of the England cricketers past and present, most are sound. Was a bit disappointed when meeting Botham, a real hero from my childhood, bit arrogant. Angus Fraser is one of the nicest blokes you will meet, Dermot Reeve isn't

Loads of the Gloucester Rugby team, all top blokes

Met Murray a few times, Skuse and Tinman.

Murray always stops to chat. Saw him in a taxi que in town on a Saturday night, slightly tipsy to put it mildly! Not during his playing days i would like to add.

I was a VIP at the opening of the Gordon Banks statue at Stoke going back 5 years ago and the special guest was Pele, so was chewing the fat with him while quaffing champagne in the VIP area, that night i also had a piss next to Gordon Banks, and strangely enough Archbishop Desmond Tutu was also there so met him...

Do i win?

I was a VIP at the opening of the Gordon Banks statue at Stoke going back 5 years ago and the special guest was Pele, so was chewing the fat with him while quaffing champagne in the VIP area, that night i also had a piss next to Gordon Banks, and strangely enough Archbishop Desmond Tutu was also there so met him...

Do i win?

Nelsom Mandela couldn't make it?

Met Keough in town after promotion. Very humble and friendly and baught me a drink.

Met Skuse in our local on a saturday evening during pre season drinking water. Nice and polite.

Sean Rigg in the same local on a saturday evening during the season... absolutely legless slumped in a corner with a fag in hand.

Do i win?

Random, are you sure that wasn't a dream! Did you ask Pele about his erectile problems?

Do i win?

Well I walked past Jahmene from x factor last week....

The closest I've come to meeting any of the current crop is John Stead's cousin. I was in a Sports Club up here in East Yorkshire and there was a guy stood at the bar with a City Training Top on. So I obviously went over and asked him what a City fan was doing in these parts.

Really nice bloke and very knowledgeable about City for a Yorkshireman. Very random.

On this topic, I used to go to the Soccer Schools the club ran over at Greville Smyth Park in the 80s. Andy Llewellyn took one of the sessions. Got his and Rob Newman's autographs. Both really nice blokes and left me with the legacy that I am now a City fan for life.

Archived