IGNORED

Tango, Carey And Heaton Retained

TRL

Said the retained list would determine whether I renew. Seeing Carey just instills worries that the club still won't move on and smacks again of jobs for the boys.

Tango disappoints too. He may have picked up under SOD, he may be young, he may have played lots of games, but last few months aside he has been absolute crap. You don't earn the name Nyaclangar for being a solid defender.

I know some will ask could we get better on a free and I say honestly, I'd bloody hope so. In any case the team has gone down without a fight, and I just want to see a dressing room full of new faces who are up for a fight, not like Lewin the shy and retiring type.

Afraid, for now, I won't be renewing.

Mental!

il_170x135.275531244.jpg

Content with that and I expect the contracts offered to those 3 will be considerably lower than what they earn now.

Heaton was definitely one I wanted to stay, Carey won't be on much at all and is still capable of doing a job at that level when called upon.

The only one I'm not sure about is Nyatanga. To be fair, he has had a big improvement under O'Driscoll and you would like to think he could easily cope in a more successful League 1 team.

No guarantees that they will decide to sign of course............

We will be signing a centre half there can be no doubt about that. Whilst I am not the biggest fan of Carey I still think in League 1 he can do a job as cover so as long as he isn't going to play against the quicker players. Lets face it he's going to be on bugger alll money now and it's better the devil you know.

Same old same old, why not try to re-sign Mcallister, I give up.

How is it same old, same old? Heaton is a new player who most wished to keep and only two of the other eleven are being retained. To be fair to Nyatanga he has been our best defender for weeks now whether that is saying much or not. He's like Beckenbauer compared to Bates and Fontaine. And Carey will easily do a job in League 1 plus you have to have SOME experience in your squad. Even the Man Utd "kids" had a bit of experience to help them out. Adomah will be off and if we can get an offer for Fontaine from anybody he will be off too.

Can't see how your same old, same old comment stacks up.

Wilson and Fontaine are under contract we have no choice in keeping then unless we pay alot of money to buy out the remainer of their contracts which in turn will hamper our ability to make signings in the summer,

We could make them available for transfer and just hope that there is a manager out there, who has been in a coma for 4 years or more.

Fairly happy with that, real shame to say goodbye to Stead, was a top player, but not financially viable. Frees up wage bill for hopefully some decent free transfers

Based on Sean's 88% committed to contracted players I had estimated the uncommitted wage budget (12%) to be around £500K to £600K for next season - if projected season ticket sales are realised.

I suspect that the Lion's share of this has now been provisionally committed to Heaton and Nyatanga meaning that we can only make substantial signings if and when a couple of the contracted players depart. If we can also bring in some fees then we have a chance.

So what, you wanted nobody to stay apart from Heaton? Madness! Probably the most sensible retained list I've seen for years...

Pretty much yes, and I make no apologies for that.

Carey I really cannot understand at all - but maybe I am simple. He has 17 appearances to his name this season, and in those games we have conceded 36 goals, an average of 2.11 per game. Now I am not laying the blame squarely at his door because in those games there were 10 other men on the pitch. However, it hardly screams of the great organiser of men.

What I largely wanted Carey released for though is that he has been a permanent fixture of the dressing room for quite some time and he himself calls for an overhaul of the culture at the club. To me he is the talisman of the old and I want to see the new come in as I am fed up of funding the football industry as it currently is. I feel as a fan I have been treated with utter contempt this season, at times both by the Club itself and by the players. The retained list to me was a way of saying we have moved on and changes are in the offing. Carey, for me, embodies and represents the past and I think it is time we all moved on.

As for Nyatanga I genuinely wanted to see him go because I genuinely don't think he is very competent. There's an old saying form is temporary class is permanent. Whilst Tanga has individually stepped up since SOD came in and I do acknowledge that, he has been at this club 4 years and made over 100 appearances and in the vast majority of those he has looked very poor, in fact wasn't he shipped out to Peterboro on loan at one point?

I largely wanted Nyatanga out because again it heralded a new way for the club. No 2nd, 3rd, or 4th chances and no retaining of players who are not up to it. Over the four years Nyatanga has given us has he performed as we would all expect? The answer to that has to be no he has not over the four years. Will he get better? Maybe. Is his new found form permanent? Hopefully. But, the point is we will probably have to commit to a 2 or 3 year contract with a liability of £X hundred thousands to find out and frankly I think very few of the players are worth gambling on.

As for could we get equal or better than Nyatanga on a free... again based on his performances over the past four years my answer is I would hope and expect so.

We have conceded the highest amount of goals in the football league. That is a fact. We have just offered terms to 3 players playing in the defensive bit of the park, two centre-halfs who between them have 37 appearances. Oh and lets not forget we couldn't defend for toffee in the seasons leading up to this summer.

and probably another 30 from fontaine mistakes

I love the way Fontaine is still getting it, bloody foster is at fault for the vast majority of the goals, his absolute lack of any positional sense and running off down the wing like a wingback and not getting back left the center backs so ******* exposed at times it was horrific. Center backs need bloody good full backs.

How is it same old, same old? Heaton is a new player who most wished to keep and only two of the other eleven are being retained. To be fair to Nyatanga he has been our best defender for weeks now whether that is saying much or not. He's like Beckenbauer compared to Bates and Fontaine. And Carey will easily do a job in League 1 plus you have to have SOME experience in your squad. Even the Man Utd "kids" had a bit of experience to help them out. Adomah will be off and if we can get an offer for Fontaine from anybody he will be off too.

Can't see how your same old, same old comment stacks up.

Heaton I obviously understand, Nyatanga I find the recent love in with has only occurred since SOD said he wanted him to stay and Carey has been passed his sell by date for more than 2 seasons, that is my opinion and football is about opinions, so i've heard.

Everybody was expecting a clearout when in actual fact the 2 back goalkeepers are the only players shown the door, Skuse and Stead are going because they wanted to, the club wanted to keep them.

Clear out what clear out, ergo same old same old.

Heaton I obviously understand, Nyatanga I find the recent love in with has only occurred since SOD said he wanted him to stay and Carey has been passed his sell by date for more than 2 seasons, that is my opinion and football is about opinions, so i've heard.

Everybody was expecting a clearout when in actual fact the 2 back goalkeepers are the only players shown the door, Skuse and Stead are going because they wanted to, the club wanted to keep them.

Clear out what clear out, ergo same old same old.

Football is about opinions as you rightly say. Having a difference of opinion with the Manager on two players is hardly a reason not to renew a season ticket then is it? If you truly love football, can afford it and accept that football is about opinions. Not a dig at you there but that appears to be the intention of one or two on here.

I love the way Fontaine is still getting it, bloody foster is at fault for the vast majority of the goals, his absolute lack of any positional sense and running off down the wing like a wingback and not getting back left the center backs so ******* exposed at times it was horrific. Center backs need bloody good full backs.

I'm sorry Liam, did that hit a nerve?

Seriously, all the team have defended atrociously this season but please don't try to deflect the blame of the worst defensive culprit.....I believe at least 12/15 goals have been conceded directly from Fontaine mistakes or bad positioning.

Football is about opinions as you rightly say. Having a difference of opinion with the Manager on two players is hardly a reason not to renew a season ticket then is it? If you truly love football, can afford it and accept that football is about opinions. Not a dig at you there but that appears to be the intention of one or two on here.

My friend everybody up until a few days ago wanted a clear out of everybody who was out of contract (except Heaton) and Nyatanga was close to the top of everybody's list, Carey was different that is heart ruling head.

SOD is the manager and he dosen't really care about season tickets, but I suspect the owners/board are probably in for a big shock, I cannot see a majority of season ticket holders being enamored with the news so far.

My friend everybody up until a few days ago wanted a clear out of everybody who was out of contract (except Heaton) and Nyatanga was close to the top of everybody's list, Carey was different that is heart ruling head.

SOD is the manager and he dosen't really care about season tickets, but I suspect the owners/board are probably in for a big shock, I cannot see a majority of season ticket holders being enamored with the news so far.

Still no explanation of why you believe the two in post can be certain they will sign better defenders by offering a quarter of money available to the last three managers who each failed to do so across six transfer windows?

It seems that they are more aware of the challenge they face than you are - and for this I am glad.

And for the record, I have argued consistently from the outset that building an entire new squad from scratch (even if by some miracle we could rid ourselves of all the contracted underperformers) is not the way to go. A team founded on experienced Championship players (whether we like them or not) is less likely to leave us in the bottom six at Christmas than some misguided appeasement of disgruntled supporters, made up of sixteen players no one else wants signed on the cheap - see Bristol Rovers (2011-12) or Matthew Bates / Marc Wilson for evidence.

Yes I want to see change (probably as much as you do) but by rapid evolution rather than panic-ridden hope against all realistic expectation.

Still no explanation of why you believe the two in post can be certain they will sign better defenders by offering a quarter of money available to the last three managers who each failed to do so across six transfer windows?

It seems that they are more aware of the challenge they face than you are - and for this I am glad.

And for the record, I have argued consistently from the outset that building an entire new squad from scratch (even if by some miracle we could rid ourselves of all the contracted underperformers) is not the way to go. A team founded on experienced Championship players (whether we like them or not) is less likely to leave us in the bottom six at Christmas than some misguided appeasement of disgruntled supporters, made up of sixteen players no one else wants signed on the cheap - see Bristol Rovers (2011-12) or Matthew Bates / Marc Wilson for evidence.

Yes I want to see change (probably as much as you do) but by rapid evolution rather than panic-ridden hope against all realistic expectation.

Charlton Athletic, 18/19 out 18/19 in, instant success.

Charlton Athletic, 18/19 out 18/19 in, instant success.

I did not say and I do not believe that such an approach can never succeed - simply that it is high-risk

Given your much aired opinions on the competence of those running our club (which I admit is not short of supporting evidence), I would be surprised if you would support a high-risk strategy or believe for one second that we could match the impressive achievements at the Valley.

The failure across 6 transfer windows was because the targets were far to unrealistic for dear old BCFC, just look where most of these players ended up going.

"A team founded on experienced Championship players (whether we like them or not) is less likely to leave us in the bottom six at Christmas"

it has absolutely nothing to do with whether we like these players or not, it is about the way they have performed over the past 4 years, experienced championship players? maybe but of incredibly poor quality, bottom 6 maybe not, but struggle? probably IMO.

The fact that it's only 1 or 2 players that is causing a difference of opinion (and there is no guarantee that they will sign) suggests that the fans have pretty much got what they wanted doesn't it?

Lets not forget that some players under contract will almost certainly be sold.

Archived