IGNORED

Pitman : Nothing To Prove

shaner89

Best finisher we've had at the gate for a long time.

true but never offered anything else, no work rate at all,

I'll be intrested to see how he gets on in the championship with Bournmouth, thats when we can really judge him

Never given a chance rated him quite high.

Yes he was. He was given several chances, and he wasn't very good. Most of his goals for us were scored as a substitute against tiring defences. I think he was the least athletic professional footballer I have ever seen at Ashton Gate.

If he succeeds for Bournemouth in the Championship next year it can only be for one of two reasons:

> that Bournemouth's present ;playing style suits him more than ours did

> that he wasn't trying when he played for us

I think he had every chance for us, but he never looked like a Championship player.

Not all players are like Stead and will chase everything etc but make up for it in other ways - ie finishing.

Pitman's record here wasn't bad considering he was rarely given long runs in the team and made a lot of sub appearances.

I can see him scoring 10+ next season no problem.

IMO he's got everything to prove in the Championship. Given plenty of chances to show what he had at City and failed to take them.

From wiki:

'Pitman was Bristol City's top scorer, with 13 goals, in his first season at the club, despite only starting 21 times.'

I think it is fair to say that isn't too bad.

Won't get 10 goals bollo#ks if he could score goals in a side that he rarely got a start in then 10 for Bournemouth would be a minimum target..

Another classic error to sell him given that City had no finishers to match Pitman the free-scoring !!!! Ryan Taylor when fit will be lucky to reach 10 goals next season.

If Bournemouth have enough of the play and create enough chances I have no doubt in my mind that he will score goals regularly at this level.

If they struggle as we have done for the past three seasons they will face exactly the same questions we did of whether they need to play a forward that offers a bit more when it comes to running the channels and leading the line.

From wiki:

'Pitman was Bristol City's top scorer, with 13 goals, in his first season at the club, despite only starting 21 times.'

I think it is fair to say that isn't too bad.

he made 40 apperances that season, he's got 19 goals in 71 apperances for us Jon stead got 20 in 75 apperance, the same strike rate, and I know who'd I'd rather have leading the line,

Good finish good pen thats it nothing else to his game

He won't get 10 goals next season.

Scores 13 goals in his 1st season in the Championship, at the age of 22, in a terrible team, whilst restriced to the bench for the vast majority of games = won't score 10 goals next season. OTIB logic.

Probably our biggest mistake in recent years, selling Brett. I liked Del as a person, but can't forgive him for his naivety when it comes to Brett.

he made 40 apperances that season, he's got 19 goals in 71 apperances for us Jon stead got 20 in 75 apperance, the same strike rate, and I know who'd I'd rather have leading the line,

Come on then Statto - how many of those Sub appearences did he play a substaniall amount of time, how many were 2mins coming on and coming on in injury time to waste time?

Botom line is though, the very first seaosn with us he got 13 goals for us from August which is bloody impressive considering how poor we were in generally at creating for strikers and that he'd just made the step up from League 2 - He impressed.

true but never offered anything else, no work rate at all,

I'll be intrested to see how he gets on in the championship with Bournmouth, thats when we can really judge him

There are lots of players with no work rate but who score goals – e.g. Dimitar Berbatov scored 13 goals in 27 games last season for Fulham. If Pitman had scored goals (I think his ratio per game was good by City's standards) and had a good work rate, he would have been in the Premier League, not with City.

Mr McInness did not like him professionally and not much personally which effected performances. This boy could not wait to get away and who would blame him. He is going to score goals next season and I predict will become a transfer target again!

Why would he have something to prove? He proved what he can do the first season with us. McInnes didn't like him, bought two other strikers, he didn't play so selling him, although for such a tiny amount, was the best thing to do considering the situation - he wasn't even on the bench and supposedly on big wages.

Was this a mistake? Of course, but it happened in the context of the moment. Time to move on. Good luck next season.

Come on then Statto - how many of those Sub appearences did he play a substaniall amount of time, how many were 2mins coming on and coming on in injury time to waste time?

Botom line is though, the very first seaosn with us he got 13 goals for us from August which is bloody impressive considering how poor we were in generally at creating for strikers and that he'd just made the step up from League 2 - He impressed.

but according to most on here davies is shit and a waste of space but still got 13 goals in a team that created nothing mostly from the bench,

So is davies as good as Pitman?

But Pitman didn't lead the line. That Stead, who has mainly played the role of target man, can have a scoring rate close to Pitman's shows just how shocking Pitman was for us. 20 in 75 is what you'd expect from a player like Stead. I would expect Pitman to get 20 a season, so in 71 games he should have been scoring 30 - 35 goals, not 19.

Considering the lack of assists from our non productive, unfit for purpose midfield it is wonder any of our strikers have actually scored into double figures in the past 4/5 years, they have had to mainly rely our centre backs launching defence splitting scud missiles in many games, I think it goes to prove how good all of our strikers have actually performed under the circumstances, including Pitman.

I think pittman +davies have many similarities. The difference is that we gave pittman away for peanuts and paid a fortune for davies! Great management del boy.you genius!

didn't we pay the same amount for both players? (Rumoured 700k)

Archived