IGNORED

Obscure City Players

Sargent Pepper

I can't have that, he even had his own song (sort of) Emanual.. immaculate and just repeat. Not much of a song but a song. Played about 100 games too.

Jon Economou, Steve Johnson, Steve Jones. I seemed to remember a few strikers on loan that never scored until they left us !

Economou was not obscure !

Goalkeeper Mike Hooper was here for a while back in the 80's, only ever played 1 game (maybe against R*vers???)

Nobody thought he was any good but he went on to play over 100 games for Liverpool, Newcastle and Wrexham

Serious character defects, he went out with my sister in about 1980!

Phil Kite,

I remember PA announcer at Colchester announcing our (outfield) sub as Phil Kite, causing much merriment among the travelling thousands

Subject of famous anti-gas joke,

"What's the time?"

"Five past Kite"

Economou was not obscure !

Agreed. An ever present for a bit. Scored one sublime goal v Hartlepool (?) after a mazy run. One of those forced in to the team perhaps before their time...good player.

Agreed. An ever present for a bit. Scored one sublime goal v Hartlepool (?) after a mazy run. One of those forced in to the team perhaps before their time...good player.

Yes, 2nd goal in a 2-0 win.

A guy called Bryant, lanky centre back, two games, scored on debut, not good. And no, not Matty. Was it Simon?

Paul Fitzpatrick, lanky midfielder.

Peter Devine, Ray Gooding, Aiden McCafferty, Les Carthorse.. I mean Carter... All gems on our way down. Billy Down, one game at Doncaster

A guy called Bryant, lanky centre back, two games, scored on debut, not good. And no, not Matty. Was it Simon?

Paul Fitzpatrick, lanky midfielder.

Peter Devine, Ray Gooding, Aiden McCafferty, Les Carthorse.. I mean Carter... All gems on our way down. Billy Down, one game at Doncaster

Simon was his brother, player for Rovers in midfield

Paul France, he was a lanky shite centre back

Adam Federici and Wayne Hennessy were keepers who if I recall correctly occupied the bench for a few games.

On the goalkeeping theme John Ruddy....whatever happened to him??!!

Ben Foster as well.

Steve Phillips must have been good!

Jimmy Harvey, bought from Fulham I think?...3 appearances in '87...

I said that!!!! But yes that's him. Terry Cooper signed him and never really played him. He went on to manage Morecombe into the football league. Not sure where he is now.

Hardly obscure, Ken played a few hundred games in the 60s and 70s. Very under-rated, great passer.

Ken Wimshurst went on to be Alan Dick's assistant when he stopped playing. He actually managed the club for the game after Dicks was sacked, away to QPR - we lost 4-0 (I went unfortunately)

totally disagree

You must be thinking of someone else. The Gary Marshall I am thinking about was a winger. Never amounted to anything as a player, and I often felt I could have taken his place. In fact most people could have taken his place and produced more.

He reminded me of a wet weekend in June.

Awful

My memory could be playing tricks but do I recall John Palmer making a subs appearance at Torquay which lasted about 10 seconds?...did he ever play for us again?

And as for the Kelly brothers, I recall dancing around our living room when it was reported that Nyrere had netted the third away at Hereford just after Christmas in '82. That was a bit of a turning point for us...

Remember him coming on as sub at Swindon, think we signed him from Weston , not the best even in League 4!

Guest S. Bristol Born & Red

Jason(?) Cundy, later survived cancer.

BTW Jimmy Harvey was from Hereford. and Les Cartwright wins my award as the worst ever City plaI

You are correct, it was Hereford, not Fulham...similar kits got me confused

Aye, in no way am I saying this to be horrible, but because of his Death we got a fantastic player in Nicky Morgan.

RIP Dean, we never really got to see what kind of player you were.

Remember the shock of the awful news like it was yesterday...

...if he had turned out to be half the player that Nicky Morgan was, he would have been a legend in my eyes.

Colin Loss

Henry McKop

Nathan Abbey

Calvin Andrew

Kevin Baddeley

John Bain

Alex Ball

Dominic Barclay

Mike Brolly

Russell Bromage

Ian Brown

Rob Burch

Brolly played for us in the top flight! Obscure? Most of the rest of em qualify!!

If you go back to the 60s there are quite a few – e.g. John Emanuel – a Welch midfielder and Derrick Lythgoe – an “inside forward” (remember them?) who came from Norwich.

A more recent player would be Russell Bromage. Signed by Terry Cooper and not too obscure as he played 40+ matches. Another Cooper signing who never gets a mention is Martyn Hurst. He came from non-league but also played played 40+ matches.

An absolutely awful player was George Parris who came on loan in the 90s.

There were quite a few players in the early days of the Gary Johnson era who came and went without making much of an impact. Osei Sankofa (4 ish matches), signed on loan as was Barry Corr (forward approx 2-3 matches) and Nathan Abbey (goalkeeper – 1 match)

This would be the John Emanuel our player of the year in 73....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Emanuel

A few come to mind, sorry if mentioned before:-

Peter Devine

John Burns, a Pulis signing (part of the Jim Brennan deal) frozen out by Danny Wilson

Robin Hulbert

David Harle

Tony Caldwell

Ernie Hunt

Ernie Hunt Obscure!!!?

Anyway here's a real one...Leeds United Loanee HARPAL SINGH!

Ken Whimshurst, Mickey Brolley, Ernie Hunt and John Emanuel, obscure City players my arse!

Archived