IGNORED

Obscure City Players

Sargent Pepper

If you go back to the 60s there are quite a few – e.g. John Emanuel – a Welch midfielder and Derrick Lythgoe – an “inside forward” (remember them?) who came from Norwich.

A more recent player would be Russell Bromage. Signed by Terry Cooper and not too obscure as he played 40+ matches. Another Cooper signing who never gets a mention is Martyn Hurst. He came from non-league but also played played 40+ matches.

An absolutely awful player was George Parris who came on loan in the 90s.

There were quite a few players in the early days of the Gary Johnson era who came and went without making much of an impact. Osei Sankofa (4 ish matches), signed on loan as was Barry Corr (forward approx 2-3 matches) and Nathan Abbey (goalkeeper – 1 match)

Hardly obscure , a stalwart in the 4th Division , must have played 100 games or more.

How about John Palmer ?

My memory could be playing tricks but do I recall John Palmer making a subs appearance at Torquay which lasted about 10 seconds?...did he ever play for us again?

And as for the Kelly brothers, I recall dancing around our living room when it was reported that Nyrere had netted the third away at Hereford just after Christmas in '82. That was a bit of a turning point for us...

If you go back to the 60s there are quite a few – e.g. John Emanuel – a Welch midfielder and Derrick Lythgoe – an “inside forward” (remember them?) who came from Norwich.

A more recent player would be Russell Bromage. Signed by Terry Cooper and not too obscure as he played 40+ matches. Another Cooper signing who never gets a mention is Martyn Hurst. He came from non-league but also played played 40+ matches.

There were quite a few players in the early days of the Gary Johnson era who came and went without making much of an impact. Osei Sankofa (4 ish matches), signed on loan as was Barry Corr (forward approx 2-3 matches) and Nathan Abbey (goalkeeper – 1 match)

The Norwich keeper who has been around the England squad, John Ruddy, also played one game on loan from Everton under Johnson, Carlisle away and I was there.

Chuck Drury

George Showell

Brian Hill

All loanees in the 60s

Dean Horrix (sad)

Hugh McIlmoyle

The great Chris Crowe who played for England and Scotland (1 full the other youth - can't remember which way round)

Dickie Down who scored thousands for the reserves with Johnny Giles (not the Leeds one)

Martin Hirst - geography student at the uni...scored against Crewe at home I recall in a vital win...and didn't he score against the Gas in that great cup win?

Chuck Drury

George Showell

Brian Hill

All loanees in the 60s

Dean Horrix (sad)

Hugh McIlmoyle

The great Chris Crowe who played for England and Scotland (1 full the other youth - can't remember which way round)

Dickie Down who scored thousands for the reserves with Johnny Giles (not the Leeds one)

Drury and Showell were actally our players (signed from WBA & Wolves respectively).

Chuck Drury

George Showell

Brian Hill

All loanees in the 60s

Dean Horrix (sad)

Hugh McIlmoyle

This reminds me of a popular City song of that era (song to the tune of My Bonny Lies Over the Ocean):

If I had the wings of a sparrow

If I had the wings of a crow – Chris Crow!

I’d fly over Eastville tomorrow

And sh*t on the b*sta*ds below

Sh*t on

Sh*t on

Sh*t on the b*sta*ds below, below

etc

Chuck Drury

George Showell

Brian Hill

All loanees in the 60s

Dean Horrix (sad)

Hugh McIlmoyle

and with chris jonny quiggley what a proper midfielder he was!

If you go back to the 60s there are quite a few – e.g. John Emanuel – a Welch midfielder

I can't have that, he even had his own song (sort of) Emanual.. immaculate and just repeat. Not much of a song but a song. Played about 100 games too.

Jon Economou, Steve Johnson, Steve Jones. I seemed to remember a few strikers on loan that never scored until they left us !

Archived