Kevin Baddeley

John Bain

Alex Ball

Dominic Barclay

Mike Brolly

Russell Bromage

Ian Brown

Rob Burch

If you go back to the 60s there are quite a few – e.g. John Emanuel – a Welch midfielder and Derrick Lythgoe – an “inside forward” (remember them?) who came from Norwich.

A more recent player would be Russell Bromage. Signed by Terry Cooper and not too obscure as he played 40+ matches. Another Cooper signing who never gets a mention is Martyn Hurst. He came from non-league but also played played 40+ matches.

An absolutely awful player was George Parris who came on loan in the 90s.

There were quite a few players in the early days of the Gary Johnson era who came and went without making much of an impact. Osei Sankofa (4 ish matches), signed on loan as was Barry Corr (forward approx 2-3 matches) and Nathan Abbey (goalkeeper – 1 match)

Russell Bromage played quite a few games, and was an absolute gem, overlapping LB, used to play behind Walsh and the two of them were a marvellous double act. I'd not say he was obscure, I always rated him. Lots of injuries, mind.

Anyone remember giant keeper Sieb Dykstra? I think we had him on loan from Motherwell, he also played for QPR.

Mad hair, medallion and chest wig. Decent keeper though. Massive, massive kick.

Anyone remember Ian Leigh? Keeper on loan from Bournemuff. Played one game.

Jimmy Harvey.

Steve "Rambo" Johnson.

Not sure was really obscure, he started at United, Scott McGarvey.

Johnson and McGarvey both useless in different ways. Rambo could head the ball (despite having a golf-ball sized bonce), but nothing - absolutely nothing - else. Went to Chester and scored against us :angry: .

McGarvey had talent but was a total powder puff, recall he bottled a one-on-one with keeper against the Gas, IIRC. For which he was rightly slaughtered.

Debut and subsequent assault charge at Reading. He blasted the ball into the crowd and it hit someone.

...think it broke the fella's wrist. Wasn't he one of Penis' signings? Surprised he wasn't made captain given Lousy Pint's love of "robust" players.

Robert Fleck, ex Norwich & Rangers, David Howells & Darren Caskey both ex Spurs. Boaz Myhill from Villa at the time I think?

Came on loan whilst at Chelsea, hadn't scored in something like 2 years due to injury and being left out - banged one in against Swindle in a crucial away game and nearly exploded with joy. I've never seen anyone do a "primal scream" like that after scoring a goal. Top player.

Jason(?) Cundy, later survived cancer.

BTW Jimmy Harvey was from Hereford. and Les Cartwright wins my award as the worst ever City player!

IIRC, big centre half, on loan from ? Spurs. Decent player, banged in number 5 in a rout of someone at AG, can't recall who it was.

Tony Malessa

Also who was that young keeper we had who quit due to falling out of love with the game?

Same bloke I think Alex

Pretty sure Malessa jacked it in to be a copper in Weston?? Went on to play a bit of rugby too I believe

Some great names on here, 'obscure' is a bit harsh to some of them though!

Glad SecretSam stuck up for Bromage, he looked more than useful in his (short) time at the club

Ian Baird. Flicked us the V's in a freindly against Chelsea. Haha

Then scored a consolation goal in our 2-1 defeat at Southend in the September, I remember being 13/14 and rushing to fence at the front of the stand only for him to flick the v's and tell us to **** off! I couldn't understand why but realised that behind me people were giving the same back!

Odd days.

On another note, someone in this thread has mentioned 'somebody Bryant'. Surely they don't mean Matt Bryant????? You'll never beat Matt Bryant.......

Darren Jones young welsh defender who i think went to Bath? last i saw was at Newport but that was a few years ago.

Carl Hutchings

Craig Woodman

Not that obscure but my god they were sh*te

Wouldn't say Woody was shite, probably one of the worst LB's we've had but not shite.

Wouldn't say Woody was shite, probably one of the worst LB's we've had but not shite.

To be fair to Woody, we've had some great Left Backs at our club so it was always going to be hard to match them. He was shite though

Alex Meechan! Whatever happened to him? He looked a real prospect at one stage...

Sekani Simpson is still playing for Bath City.

Meechan has been in the non league game for ages now, pretty sure I saw he had just been appointed assistant manager at Barrow, somewhere up north if not them

Archived