IGNORED

Obscure City Players

Sargent Pepper

Aye, in no way am I saying this to be horrible, but because of his Death we got a fantastic player in Nicky Morgan.

RIP Dean, we never really got to see what kind of player you were.

Remember the shock of the awful news like it was yesterday...

...if he had turned out to be half the player that Nicky Morgan was, he would have been a legend in my eyes.

If you go back to the 60s there are quite a few – e.g. John Emanuel – a Welch midfielder and Derrick Lythgoe – an “inside forward” (remember them?) who came from Norwich.

A more recent player would be Russell Bromage. Signed by Terry Cooper and not too obscure as he played 40+ matches. Another Cooper signing who never gets a mention is Martyn Hurst. He came from non-league but also played played 40+ matches.

An absolutely awful player was George Parris who came on loan in the 90s.

There were quite a few players in the early days of the Gary Johnson era who came and went without making much of an impact. Osei Sankofa (4 ish matches), signed on loan as was Barry Corr (forward approx 2-3 matches) and Nathan Abbey (goalkeeper – 1 match)

This would be the John Emanuel our player of the year in 73....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Emanuel

A few come to mind, sorry if mentioned before:-

Peter Devine

John Burns, a Pulis signing (part of the Jim Brennan deal) frozen out by Danny Wilson

Robin Hulbert

David Harle

Tony Caldwell

Ernie Hunt

Ernie Hunt Obscure!!!?

Anyway here's a real one...Leeds United Loanee HARPAL SINGH!

Ken Whimshurst, Mickey Brolley, Ernie Hunt and John Emanuel, obscure City players my arse!

A few come to mind, sorry if mentioned before:-

Peter Devine

John Burns, a Pulis signing (part of the Jim Brennan deal) frozen out by Danny Wilson

Robin Hulbert

David Harle

Tony Caldwell

Ernie Hunt

You can't have Ernie Hunt,well-known for the "donkey kick" goal on MOTD. Well past his best when we got him but a great character.

Brolly played for us in the top flight! Obscure? Most of the rest of em qualify!!

Don't think he did. He played the first dozen or so games in the 1976 promotion season, but I don't think he appeared in the top division.

Mark Humphries

Rodney McAree

Mo Bokato

...and does any older fan remember a youngster called, I think, Gary Smith, who was drafted in either in the season we got relegated from the top division or the following season in then division two? He looked blindingly good at first, but disappeared without trace.

My memory could be playing tricks but do I recall John Palmer making a subs appearance at Torquay which lasted about 10 seconds?...did he ever play for us again?

And as for the Kelly brothers, I recall dancing around our living room when it was reported that Nyrere had netted the third away at Hereford just after Christmas in '82. That was a bit of a turning point for us...

I was there that night , my Uncle took me for my Christmas Present !!!

Don't think he did. He played the first dozen or so games in the 1976 promotion season, but I don't think he appeared in the top division.

Mark Humphries

Rodney McAree

Mo Bokato

...and does any older fan remember a youngster called, I think, Gary Smith, who was drafted in either in the season we got relegated from the top division or the following season in then division two? He looked blindingly good at first, but disappeared without trace.

We signed Brolly from Chelsea, and he made 8 league appearances for them in the top flight

Archived