IGNORED

Christian Roberts

Red_Jim

Shows what a crap manager Wilson was. Don't turn up for training, you're in!

Its called man management. Wilson was well aware of Robert's alcohol problem but even when the worse for wear Roberts was still an automatic starter.

Its called man management. Wilson was well aware of Robert's alcohol problem but even when the worse for wear Roberts was still an automatic starter.

More like under Wilson if we'd left out every player with an alcohol problem we might not have had enough for a team.....

More like under Wilson if we'd left out every player with an alcohol problem we might not have had enough for a team.....

I think that is nearer the truth from my experience of witnessing the Wilson party Boys.

That is what lack of discipline does in a club.

Oooo someone's wrong!

After reading his autobiography a few years back I can't remember the ins and outs exactly but I don't remember anything about Wilson knowing about his problem and continuing to play him.

I could be wrong though as I have the memory of a gold fish.

After reading his autobiography a few years back I can't remember the ins and outs exactly but I don't remember anything about Wilson knowing about his problem and continuing to play him.

I could be wrong though as I have the memory of a gold fish.

I don't think Roberts made reference, in his book, to the fact that Wilson knew about his problem - he may have known though.

Wilson was quite possibly unaware of the severity of the drinking at the time, he was still living in Chesterfield wasn't he?

I don't think Roberts made reference, in his book, to the fact that Wilson knew about his problem - he may have known though.

Wilson was quite possibly unaware of the severity of the drinking at the time, he was still living in Chesterfield wasn't he?

Yeah I think that was probably right. I just don't think he made reference to it.

I would imagine Wilson was unaware. I can't believe he would constantly pick a player that was getting in at 5am on a match day. Regardless of he still performed or not.

God how true.

It was common to read about the exploits of Doherty Peacock Coles among many others on here at the time (funny that Roberts didn't get as much coverage as a party boy drinker). If half of what was alleged was going on we had a real problem.

If there was a root cause of the alleged issues between Tinnion and Wilson I wouldn't mind betting this was it. Just remember the way in which BT went about off loading players bringing in the likes of Stewart, Heywood among almost a team of others.Pity they were mainly pony and shame about Marcus. If there was one player I wanted to do well here it was him!!

Yeah I think that was probably right. I just don't think he made reference to it.

I would imagine Wilson was unaware. I can't believe he would constantly pick a player that was getting in at 5am on a match day. Regardless of he still performed or not.

I find it hard to believe, if you have been on a bender for 2 or 3 days, that you cannot smell booze on someone, the stench of alcohol oozes out your pores and breath for a long time.

I can't believe clubs do not have standard breath tests before all training, truth be told. Anyone caught with x percentage gets sent home and a fine.

haven't read book but is that true about getting in at 5 and playing same day?

fair play I say

The comment that sticks out the most for me, is the amount of spare time players have on their hands... an issue Roberts thinks needs addressing.

It's something i've banged on about for years.

If players have enough energy in the afternoons to play a round of golf, then they have enough energy to work on tecnical skills...however boring. Get it ingrained.

Make them stay together in the afternoon even if it's purely for bonding.

Going home to rest...is a joke.

As a side note... anyone that frequented the players bar after a match during Wilson and GJ's tenure would know who the main culprits were. I was always suprised at Brian Tinnion and Lee Peacock was on another planet.

I find it hard to believe, if you have been on a bender for 2 or 3 days, that you cannot smell booze on someone, the stench of alcohol oozes out your pores and breath for a long time.

I can't believe clubs do not have standard breath tests before all training, truth be told. Anyone caught with x percentage gets sent home and a fine.

He must have been able to smell it when Roberts was at his lowest point.

I would lose respect for Wilson if he could constantly smell booze on Roberts but never confronted him about it or tried to get to the bottom of it. Surely he wouldn't have done that? I agree though it should be standard to test for it before training etc. it could also help the likes of Roberts, who himself admitted that his alcohol problem was so severe he was completely blind to it and genuinely believed it was normal.

haven't read book but is that true about getting in at 5 and playing same day?

fair play I say

Yeah it was fella.

He even said he decided to get a new car purely because it had an in built freezer in it so he could keep his cans of Stella cold.

It really is a good read and I would recommend it. I obviously found it even more interesting as he was an ex City player.

He must have been able to smell it when Roberts was at his lowest point.

I would lose respect for Wilson if he could constantly smell booze on Roberts but never confronted him about it or tried to get to the bottom of it. Surely he wouldn't have done that? I agree though it should be standard to test for it before training etc. it could also help the likes of Roberts, who himself admitted that his alcohol problem was so severe he was completely blind to it and genuinely believed it was normal.

Well, In that interview he said he would on a weekday/night drink 12-14 pints of Stella, I fail to see how the coaching staff wouldn't smell it! Not only do i think they have let the club and fans down letting this go on, but they have also let Roberts down if they turned a blind eye to it.

To be honest i am pretty shocked after hearing what he said, My opinion of Danny Wilson has certainly nose dived, I thought it was poor the booze culture at the time, but this is something different entirely.

It certainly soured the memory of the couple of seasons that we played some brilliant football.

Well, In that interview he said he would on a weekday/night drink 12-14 pints of Stella, I fail to see how the coaching staff wouldn't smell it! Not only do i think they have let the club and fans down letting this go on, but they have also let Roberts down if they turned a blind eye to it.

To be honest i am pretty shocked after hearing what he said, My opinion of Danny Wilson has certainly nose dived, I thought it was poor the booze culture at the time, but this is something different entirely.

It certainly soured the memory of the couple of seasons that we played some brilliant football.

My thoughts exactly mate. For all his failings we played some really good stuff under Wilson.

But as you say, turning a blind eye to it would have let Roberts down immensely. I read the book in 2011, so I can't remember every detail but I am dont recall Wilson ever pulling him up on any of it. He may have, but it may have purposely not been included in the book. Either way it all came to a head during his time at Swindon, which would only highlight even more that for anyone that turned a blind eye to it, would have not helped Roberts at all.

Matt Hewlett used to share a car with him when they played together at Swindon, he said that he absolutely reaked of booze. The real sad bit about this was that when he was good, he was unplayable, in L1 any way. The booze must of played a big part in him failing to reach his potential.

My thoughts exactly mate. For all his failings we played some really good stuff under Wilson.

But as you say, turning a blind eye to it would have let Roberts down immensely. I read the book in 2011, so I can't remember every detail but I am dont recall Wilson ever pulling him up on any of it. He may have, but it may have purposely not been included in the book. Either way it all came to a head during his time at Swindon, which would only highlight even more that for anyone that turned a blind eye to it, would have not helped Roberts at all.

How often was Wilson actually at training? Apparently he rarely traveled on the team coach to away games either. Frank Barlow was his no. 2

How often was Wilson actually at training? Apparently he rarely traveled on the team coach to away games either. Frank Barlow was his no. 2

Probably would explain why at that time there was a well known drinking culture at the club.

From what I remember Roberts doesn't talk a great deal about Wilson in the book. It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't there a lot.

I will have to get this book. The guy had talent (I am led to believe in his youth he was a bigger prospect than Butt Ugly Earnshaw). All he needed was some sort of guidance. yes the blame lays firmly with Roberts, but to turn a blind be it be Barlow or Wilson, it just isn't on.

Ah well, it just makes you wonder what that team could have done if Wilson hadn't lived in Chesterfield. On the face of it it looks like shockingly poor management from Wilson down through to all the coaches.

Matt Hewlett used to share a car with him when they played together at Swindon, he said that he absolutely reaked of booze. The real sad bit about this was that when he was good, he was unplayable, in L1 any way. The booze must of played a big part in him failing to reach his potential.

Bad news. Clearly people turned a blind eye to it. I hate to think we may start going back that way, previous managers from Tinnion onwards have been trying to remove the drinking culture. it is what worries me with Flint, who has a bit of a name in Swindon, for the beer and clubs.

I will have to get this book. The guy had talent (I am led to believe in his youth he was a bigger prospect than Butt Ugly Earnshaw). All he needed was some sort of guidance. yes the blame lays firmly with Roberts, but to turn a blind be it be Barlow or Wilson, it just isn't on.

Ah well, it just makes you wonder what that team could have done if Wilson hadn't lived in Chesterfield. On the face of it it looks like shockingly poor management from Wilson down through to all the coaches.

It does indeed look like poor management from Wilson. I may be doing him a huge injustice but I can't remember him being mentioned much at all in the book with regards to Roberts drinking.

I still have the book so feel free to borrow it.

With regards to Flint, I would like to think that between them, SoD and Burt would have made relevant enquiries with plenty of people to get as much info about him as possible. Or at least I would hope they have considering they have both said that it will be a way they do things before signing a player. Even more so given the fee.

I would like to think/hope that if there is a problem it's only minor and that any party animal culture will be left well and truly behind if and when he joins.

It does indeed look like poor management from Wilson. I may be doing him a huge injustice but I can't remember him being mentioned much at all in the book with regards to Roberts drinking.

I still have the book so feel free to borrow it.

With regards to Flint, I would like to think that between them, SoD and Burt would have made relevant enquiries with plenty of people to get as much info about him as possible. Or at least I would hope they have considering they have both said that it will be a way they do things before signing a player. Even more so given the fee.

I would like to think/hope that if there is a problem it's only minor and that any party animal culture will be left well and truly behind if and when he joins.

here is hoping Flint doesn't take a liking to be bright lights of Bristol :)

Thanks for the offer of the book

here is hoping Flint doesn't take a liking to be bright lights of Bristol :)

Thanks for the offer of the book

Haha by the sounds of it that's unlikely :) Swindon is a dive and crap for a night out, where as Bristol is good! Perhaps a factor in why he wants to join!?

No worries mate

Bad news. Clearly people turned a blind eye to it. I hate to think we may start going back that way, previous managers from Tinnion onwards have been trying to remove the drinking culture. it is what worries me with Flint, who has a bit of a name in Swindon, for the beer and clubs.

It all comes down to strong management, Gary Jonson did a good job to curb it, but did he eradicate it? David Noble would suggest he didn't quite manage to.

It all comes down to strong management, Gary Jonson did a good job to curb it, but did he eradicate it? David Noble would suggest he didn't quite manage to.

Aye, he got rid of most of it, and although most clamoured for Noble to play, he was often a sub or dropped. I think GJ new he was a problem and maybe dropped a bollock when he signed him.

Another supremely talented individual who preferred the sauce rather than the game. No wonder he has scraped a living king around the lower league level. He should have been too good for that.

Aye, he got rid of most of it, and although most clamoured for Noble to play, he was often a sub or dropped. I think GJ new he was a problem and maybe dropped a bollock when he signed him.

Another supremely talented individual who preferred the sauce rather than the game. No wonder he has scraped a living king around the lower league level. He should have been too good for that.

Agreed, Noble was IMHO technically the best player we've had since Jacki.

Archived