IGNORED

Lions V Baabaas

westred1

What did everyone think?

Was a good start to the tour in my opinion, a few combinations cropping up and selection headaches for Gatland.

Cuthbert's a deadly finisher, Hogg was fantastic as was Roberts and apart from his passing, Phillips was unplayable.

O'Connell brings that added experience and worked well with Gray who personally I don't rate.

Australia will probably look to wind up Farrell; it was only 6 minutes before he found himself in a fracas with Brits (albeit not his fault!)

All in all, the tour has got off to a promising start.

Promising start but we'll learn an awful lot more in the next two matches. Farrell needs to cop on. I know the ball was slippery but it was the same for everyone and he made a lot more unforced errors than anyone else. Don't blame him for reacting to Brits. Sure he shouldn't have been holding on but he has to defend himself once Brits throws the punch.

Tipuric made a further mockery of the decision to award the captaincy to Warburton. I don't dislike Warburton, he's a fine player, but leaving out Tipuric would be mental, as would playing Warburton at six given that O'Brien, Lydiate and Croft are all on tour.

Midfield looked very good, as you'd expect, and I think BOD and Tuilagi will put their hands up over the next week too. Murray looks an ideal foil for Phillips, they're both a menace. Pack looked strong and set piece was good, a few poor darts from Youngs aside. Maitland didn't particularly impress but it's early days.

Lets be realistic, the Lions were playing a team that's not really a "team" they were mostly has beens.

The Aussie super 15 teams will be far better opposition than the Ba Bas.

It will be interesting to see how the Lions cope with fast running rugby when they play these teams.

I think a game in Hong Kong is ideal actually, I know there were drinks breaks etc but you get drinks on enough in games anyway, so to have played a game in that heat, playing in Perth won't seem as hot on Wednesday.

Anyway, for me the lions took the most of the majority their chances tbh. One note of mine was that Phillips' tries took attention away from the rest of his game, a lot of passes going astray and took a lot of ball in himself when there was no ready option for the next phase. Agree with MichaelRobartes as well Warburton is now going to have to play very well in his warm up games to justify starting the first test at 7 as Tipuric has been in fine form. Gray I thought had a decent game, didn't get to really show what they can do from open play but in and around the ruck I thought he was good.

Farrell though..... Needs to grow up and fast, if it was a ploy to wind up Brits it worked quickly. But, yes play wasn't up to standard yesterday, Sexton still nailed on for 10, but I will be very interested to see Ben Youngs' first game on tour. Hogg didn't get a chance to counter as the Baa Baas were never going to kick much, but what he did, he did well. Unlucky with the offload from O'Connell.

Team for the game against Western Force I'd go with:

1) Jenkins

2) Best

3) Cole

4) Evans

5) Parling

6) Croft

7) O'Brien (Give Warburton longer even if he could be fit in time, Queensland or CC game)

8) Heaslip

9) Youngs

10) Sexton

11) North

12) Tuilagi

13) O'Driscoll ©

14) Bowe

15) Halfpenny

Good few variations from different countries there and only Warburton and Kearney would have not been involved in a game at that point (give full backs a full game if possible).

You were pretty close Hodge! I think Jenkins is still having some bother injury-wise, presumably wasn't considered for that reason, ditto Warbunny and Kearney, as you say. Team for the Farce on Wednesday:

Leigh Halfpenny, Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll (captain), Manu Tuilagi, George North, Jonny Sexton; Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best, Dan Cole, Alun-Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Tom Croft, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Tom Youngs, Mako Vunipola, Matt Stevens, Geoff Parling, Toby Faletau, Ben Youngs, Owen Farrell, Sean Maitland.

I like the tight five, looks strong. Interesting to see how the back row goes with Houdini at eight and O'Brien after his injury problems this season. As a Munsterman, pleased to see Murray get a start, he was very good after coming on at the weekend. Should be more than enough there to beat the Farce. The Reds will provide a much sterner test on Saturday. Hope Farrell gets a bit of gametime, he could do with a confidence boost after Saturday.

Gatland is stubborn, can't see Warbunny not being the test match openside if fit, however well Tipuric goes.

You were pretty close Hodge! I think Jenkins is still having some bother injury-wise, presumably wasn't considered for that reason, ditto Warbunny and Kearney, as you say. Team for the Farce on Wednesday:

Leigh Halfpenny, Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll (captain), Manu Tuilagi, George North, Jonny Sexton; Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best, Dan Cole, Alun-Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Tom Croft, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Tom Youngs, Mako Vunipola, Matt Stevens, Geoff Parling, Toby Faletau, Ben Youngs, Owen Farrell, Sean Maitland.

I like the tight five, looks strong. Interesting to see how the back row goes with Houdini at eight and O'Brien after his injury problems this season. As a Munsterman, pleased to see Murray get a start, he was very good after coming on at the weekend. Should be more than enough there to beat the Farce. The Reds will provide a much sterner test on Saturday. Hope Farrell gets a bit of gametime, he could do with a confidence boost after Saturday.

Gatland is stubborn, can't see Warbunny not being the test match openside if fit, however well Tipuric goes.

Gatland should play the Welsh back row that destroyed England, with Croft replacing Tip at some point.

Gatland should play the Welsh back row that destroyed England, with Croft replacing Tip at some point.

If Gatland does pick the Welsh back row (and I'm not sure that he will) then Croft will have to play out of his skin to make the replacements given the versatility and power of O'Brien. Not impossible, especially for his lineout jumping if Houdini isn't selected, he's a good player, but I think O'Brien's ability to cover all three positions makes him all but nailed on for the bench slot (assuming that he doesn't start).

It wasn't hard to guess tbh, with such a short turn around and the travelling between you wouldn't want to start those 2 games in a row. On the 9's I was sure that Youngs would get the nod, Murray featuring Saturday and with Sexton starting 10 as well I thought that Gats would have tried a different 9/10 combo. Then I thought he'd have had Murray/Farrell on Saturday Vs the Reds. He must have seen Murray/Sexton enough in Ireland games Vs both northern and southern hemisphere sides.

I don't think Murray has actually played that much rugby with Sexton. Granted it'll be considerably more than the other 9/10 combinations will have, but he's only played 19 test matches and ROG will have started a few of those, plus Sexton only played one and a bit matches in the Six Nations just gone. Might be a blessing for Youngs, the Farce are pretty awful at the moment and the Reds will provide a much sterner test on Saturday, so that's the game to impress in.

Looking at it another way, playing Farrell with Youngs, the man he'll know best, might ease the former into the tour after his mixed showing at the weekend.

I agree. Phillips is an odd one, for all his qualities he can be a bit ponderous at the base of the ruck. One of my Welsh mates goes mental whenever he sees him play. I would have liked to see the Murray-Farrell axis too, the former had a great season for us (brainfart in Paris aside) and isn't far from Phillips in terms of physicality. I get the feeling that's why he's been paired with Sexton for tomorrow, if Phillips gets injured he's a very natural replacement.

The strategy I imagine will be Phillips trying to make the Aussies work for 60 odd minutes or so and play his way, when the game opens up later on bring on Murray or Youngs who can expand the game play and up the pace better.

His physicality should help to negate the impact of Genia too. The Aussies will be missing the likes of Cooper and Ioane and maybe Beale from their backline so his role will grow as a result. Stopping him from sniping will go a long way towards winning a test match.

Youngs has disappointed me a bit since his breakthrough and early promise, but he was an easy choice given the instability of Care. That said, I thought Gatland would take Youngs and Care, leaving Murray out.

Rumour has it Kearney has a grade 1 tear as his injury and therefore will be coming home. Now I will be very interested in seeing if Johnny gets the call or if Gats will go for Hook who can cover both 10 and 15 as well as being an extra option in the centres. Hogg is supposedly the cover at 10 for Sexton and Farrell but a lions tour is no place to be making your first go at 10. But you don't want to leave yourself with only 2 natural 15's either.... so Hook.

Personally I'd call up Wilkinson. I think Halfpenny and Hogg should be fine as cover for full back, and Bowe can play there too. Kearney has had a poor season by his standards, I don't think he'd have made the test team anyway. Feel a bit sorry for Hogg that Halfpenny exists, both have been playing great rugby.

If not Wilkinson then Hook or Zebo would be good shouts as both can cover more than one position. I can't see it not being a stand off though which points to Wilkinson or Hook.

Warburton's captaincy is now a joke, both Tipuric and O'Brien have put in top performances and you can't guarantee Warburton should be starting the 1st test.

Stand out players: O'Brien, Heaslip, Croft, Sexton, O'Driscoll, Bowe and Halfpenny

Other mentions: Tuilagi, Farrell, Vunipola, North

Cooper is starting on Saturday, will be interesting to see how Farrell copes playing against such a flair 10.

He played very well when came on against the Force; playing very flat and on the gainline, taking his try very well.

Shame about Cian Healy's injury, he'll be a big miss. There's not a prop like him in the squad - combative, fast and destructive. In a sense, Vunipola could be seen as that but he won't see 80mins.

First real test comes Saturday.

Well, that was a much better game! Deans is some tool for not picking Cooper.

Thought the tight five were very good, particularly Parling, back row quite poor, outplayed by their opposite numbers. Youngs not great, not helped by his back row but went okay, some poor kicks from Farrell in the first half but improved in the second. Bowe will be a big miss on the wing, hopefully Cuthbert can find some form. Hogg struggled a bit and the midfield didn't look the best combination we've seen though North spent much of the game playing there out of position to be fair to him.

Vunipola has become a nailed on test match starter after the loss of Healy and Jenkins. Terrible shame for both of them, especially Healy, but to be fair Vunipola has done very well so far and I've no concerns about him.

Hogg is playing 10 vs combined country...... should be interesting. Big loss in Bowe though, was a nailed on starter in the tests for me. Probably would have been him and Cuthbert now it will be the 2 welshmen.

Cuthbert hasn't impressed so far at all. It'll be interesting to see how much of a chance Zebo gets, though they seem to think they can put Tommy back together for the second test. He's some player. In the meantime I'm praying that nothing happens to North! Big chance for Hogg on Tuesday, hope he goes well.

North is a nailed on starter; I think it will be Cuthbert. He'll perform better when it's a full welsh back three. I think the 1st test team will look something like;

15. Halfpenny

14. Cuthbert

13. O'Driscoll

12. Roberts

11. North

10. Sexton

9. Phillips

8. Heaslip

7. Warburton

6. Croft

5. AW Jones

4. O'Connell

3: Jones

2. Hibbard

1. Vunipola

It's a close one in areas such as O'Connell's partner in the second row; it could well be Gray as he's performed very well.

Warburton will start because of his captaincy which is harsh on O'Brien and Tipuric who've been brilliant. Back row is the hardest place to call in my opinion.

Archived