IGNORED

Lions V Baabaas

westred1

Chris Garland? ;)

Tipuric has been immense for the last 2 or 3 seasons with Ospreys and his emergence in the welsh side is no surprise. Everyone thinks he's on tour because of the England match but he actually isn't. He's best than Warburton; quicker, a better footballer and much more intelligent. It's a shame his leadership skills don't match SW he'd be a cert to start.

Chris Garland? ;)

Tipuric has been immense for the last 2 or 3 seasons with Ospreys and his emergence in the welsh side is no surprise. Everyone thinks he's on tour because of the England match but he actually isn't. He's best than Warburton; quicker, a better footballer and much more intelligent. It's a shame his leadership skills don't match SW he'd be a cert to start.

Haha, I'll shamelessly blame that on the phone/early morning!

I agree. When playing well Warburton is undoubtedly a fine player, but on form over the last year there's absolutely no contest. I watch a lot of the Rabo as well, and Tipuric has, as you say, been absolutely fantastic for the Hairsprays. Being a Munster fan, one of my favourite ever players was David Wallace, he was an absolute freak, I loved watching Richard Hill play too and if Tipuric carries on the way he is then he'll be up there with the best of the pro-era backrows by the end of his career.

It's great that there's such competition in the backrow. SOB and Croft are two good players pushing for the blindside role, Tipuric is pushing the captain. I was a bit surprised that Houdini got the call given his form over the last couple of years but he was very good against the Farce. Hopefully he can carry on and then bring that form back into the green jersey!

Final point on the team you've picked, to highlights your point about the second rows. I think Parling did himself no harm at all on Saturday, he was probably the best forward on the pitch. Another couple of performances like that and I think he'll be in line for at least a bench spot if not more. I think he'd probably be more of an impact replacement than the other options too, so maybe that'll get him the nod. Praying that Paulie doesn't get injured, what a man.

It won't be Wyn-Jones and O'Connell that partnership was the reason South Africa did us over in the scrum, you need your big man at 5 in the 2nd row its why Shaw replaced Wyn-Jones as 2nd row to help Vickery.

I think Gats will also go with Davies over O'Driscoll tbh, the Welsh pair did very well together in their game and would expect to see it again.

I Would also expect to see Lydiate start at 6, reason, Gats wanted him on tour bad enough that he picked him straight of being injured and only recently back.

AWJ is different player to the one that toured four years ago. This Wallaby pack isn't anywhere near the level of the 2009 Bok pack either. I think he'll be a grand foil for POC but we'll see. Neither Gray nor Parling have let themselves down so it's a keenly contested area. If I was picking at this point in time I'd have POC and AWJ with Parling in reserve.

Obviously I hope BOD gets picked, but I think the only nailed on centre is Roberts at this point, I just can't see Gatland not picking him.

Lydiate is a top player but I really don't think he's fully fit. That being said I think he made the most tackles in the Reds game so he'd hardly be a shocking selection.

I desperately hope that the likes of Ioane and Beale are 100% for the Wallabies, I want to see a great test series, irrespective of the result.

Agree with you there, Michael. AWJ is much better four years on.

The Pack is where we will dominate in the tests as the Aussies will look to use their flair rather than bulk. Saying that, Gill or Hooper are very good wing forwards and Horwill will also be dangerous and is a great leader.

Quade Cooper's omission is a bit of a shame as quality of his shouldn't be left out of a series of this magnitude.

Ioane and Beale don't particular impress as much for the national side as they do in super 15; very inconsistent in my opinion. Ioane's move to Stade is a good career choice, even if it is for the money!

Nice to see Morahan rewarded for his brilliance against the Lions for the Reds; he may cause some damage.

Agree with you there, Michael. AWJ is much better four years on.

The Pack is where we will dominate in the tests as the Aussies will look to use their flair rather than bulk. Saying that, Gill or Hooper are very good wing forwards and Horwill will also be dangerous and is a great leader.

Quade Cooper's omission is a bit of a shame as quality of his shouldn't be left out of a series of this magnitude.

Ioane and Beale don't particular impress as much for the national side as they do in super 15; very inconsistent in my opinion. Ioane's move to Stade is a good career choice, even if it is for the money!

Nice to see Morahan rewarded for his brilliance against the Lions for the Reds; he may cause some damage.

It won't be an easy decision, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the 23, though he's probably less of an impact player than Gray or Parling would be which is why I think he'll be in the 15.

Horwill is a fine player, I don't know so much about Gill and Hooper, but they can't be so bad to keep Beau-Robinson out! On BR, check out how he recovers from being done for pace by North to make the tackle here, superb. Gutted for him that he got a whack on the button, stunning performance.

diapo9e2facfb7e00f161aef8efdbf42f7849.gi

It's a fair point about Beale and Ioane, but I think that if the Aussies are to win the series they'll have to do it by playing, I can't see them out-muscling the Lions though I don't think the scrum will be as one-sided as some are making out. They've the best chance with their more creative guys playing and both are top players on their day. Stade are an interesting case, they never seem to do much these days, fair enough they got to the Amlin final but Leinster's b-team walloped them, a fresh start in France might be what Ioane needs given his troubles.

He had a really good game didn't he? Caused Cuthbert and Hogg problems all day.

You're right about BR; fantastic performance. Unfortunately for him there's too much competition in his place!

Billy 12trees has just been called up but I'm my sure who for yet?! Tuilagi was carrying a knock. Huge loss if it is him.

Called up as back line cover, no one is leaving the squad. He can of course play fly half and centre; both 10s and Manu have been struggling with niggles - his call up makes sense.

Glad Wade's got his call up, he's had a fantastic year; just a shame that North could be out of the first test.

Roberts is more than likely to be out for 2 to 3 weeks meaning how tour would be over. Gutting as he's been quite brilliant. Will miss his attacking qualities but if Barritt is called up he brings a solid defensive game.

Anyone else watched the Eng v Arg 2nd test highlights ?

England backs actually throwing the ball around, Eastmond, Yarde etc running at angles no bish bash bosh as per Barritt. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

Was a good attacking display. Wouldn't change too much if I'm honest; when everyone's fit and available, I'd have:

Brown, Wade, Tuilagi, Twelvetrees, Yarde, Burns (will be Farrell), Youngs; Corbiseiro, Youngs, Cole, Launchbury, Parling, Wood, Robshaw, Morgan.

Bench: Vunipola, Webber, Wilson, Lawes, Kvesic, Farrell, Eastmond, Care

Was a good attacking display. Wouldn't change too much if I'm honest; when everyone's fit and available, I'd have:

Brown, Wade, Tuilagi, Twelvetrees, Yarde, Burns (will be Farrell), Youngs; Corbiseiro, Youngs, Cole, Launchbury, Parling, Wood, Robshaw, Morgan.

Bench: Vunipola, Webber, Wilson, Lawes, Kvesic, Farrell, Eastmond, Care

Croft ?

North and Roberts would be huge misses. Does anyone know if Davies has played much rugby at 12? I'd definitely have Zebo over Maitland but I am biased.

Lewis, it's a good article. I think that your team is the one we might see, though I think Faletau's inclusion on Tuesday night means that Houdini will start at 8. Youngs and Hibbard is a toss up, but like you I think the former may get the nod. Who do you think will play left wing if North is out?

The replacements almost pick themselves too in my mind. One of Hibbard or Youngs, then Corbisiero and Cole, it's a bit more competitive at lock but I think that Parling might get the bench spot. I expect SOB's versatility to secure him the back row replacement position, I'm hoping Murray will get into the 23 but I think it'll be Youngs. Farrell is a given and the final spot is dependent on who plays left wing if North isn't injured. Zebo, Maitland and Hogg can all cover wing and full back and I suppose Farrell can cover centre too so even with the injuries in the backs it'll be a fairly well rounded bench.

On another note, delighted for Rory who will captain the side on Tuesday night having, I think unfairly, been left out initially.

Davies has experience at 12 for Scarlets but not a lot but it could see a lot of interchanging with BOD as he can carry and Davies can roam.

I've been disappointed with Maitland thus far; so much hype but very little product. Zebo impressed on his lions debut but I really do hope North can play. I'd like to see Wade or Hogg play on Saturday on wing but it won't happen, it will be Maitland unfortunately.

Think your bench is spot on.

Thanks for reading! :)

That's good. Interchanging certainly won't be an issue for BOD, as we saw when he played with Tuilagi.

Cuthbert hasn't particularly impressed me either but he's now all but certain to start. I've only seen Wade play a few times as I don't watch much Premiership rugby but he looks a fine prospect. Could make an impact in later tests if Tommy and North don't recover and Maitland and Cuthbert fail to impress on Saturday.

Re: your point about Tipuric. He must be one of the best ever Lions in the early part of a tour who won't be involved in the first test! To be fair Warburton played well on Saturday but of all the guys who'll miss out I feel the most sorry for Tipuric.

No bother, very enjoyable. I look forward to reading more.

BODs just a class act, thankfully he'll bring out the best in players like Manu and Christian which will be good for the English team, too.

What's unfortunate about Wade is that he's about 2ft tall! If he had the same ability and was Cuthbert's size he'd be unstoppable. He scored 18 tries in 26 games for a London Wasps side that are a shadow of their former selves and with a few more years experience, he could be the best winger in the world.

Completely agree! It's so unfortunate that Tipuric has the captain in front of him and that O'Brien can play in all three places in the back row. He's a great player but if Warburton doesn't perform he may not even make the 2nd test bench!!

Thank you, Michael and Super. Much appreciated!

BODs just a class act, thankfully he'll bring out the best in players like Manu and Christian which will be good for the English team, too.

What's unfortunate about Wade is that he's about 2ft tall! If he had the same ability and was Cuthbert's size he'd be unstoppable. He scored 18 tries in 26 games for a London Wasps side that are a shadow of their former selves and with a few more years experience, he could be the best winger in the world.

Completely agree! It's so unfortunate that Tipuric has the captain in front of him and that O'Brien can play in all three places in the back row. He's a great player but if Warburton doesn't perform he may not even make the 2nd test bench!!

Thank you, Michael and Super. Much appreciated!

We've (Ireland) been very very lucky to have him. Whilst I don't begrudge him his extra year I don't think it'll do an awful lot for our world cup prospects, not that we'll get anywhere near winning the thing anyway! He and POC are going to be impossible to replace for us.

A friend of mine described Wade as 'Tom Varndell mark II' a year or so ago. As I said, I've only seen him play on three or four occasions but that comparison already looks a little harsh to me. Here's hoping that he, North and Zebo will all be healthy enough to give NZ something to worry about in four years' time.

The back row was always going to be one of the most competitive areas. I hope he gets to play some part in the test series at least.

My dad knows Dan Tuohy's dad (hence the interview I did with him a while back on my blog!) and I'm not sure hell be able to step up. Can't think of many more SRs except O'Callaghan and McCarthy who are also getting on.

BOD will never be replaced; no one will get near his talent. I don't want Ireland to go downhill though, they're a great test nation. 8th in the world now according to the IRB Rankings released today!

I think a few seasons ago when he was 20 he could well be described as that. But he's come on leaps and bounds thankfully. Saying that Varndell is a quality player in his own right! Should've had more England chances if you ask me.

Ahh that's good! Tuohy is a good enough player. Been a bit unlucky to be overlooked so much by the Irish management, especially when they rate ruck inspectors like Toner. We have some exciting young lads at Munster, but they're unlikely to play much until POC and DOC call it a day. Ryan has been excellent for the last few years too. There's a guy called Ian Nagle who played when we beat Australia a few years back and looked stellar but his career has really stagnated due to lack of gametime and others such as Dave Foley and Dave O'Callaghan now look to be above him in the pecking order. He's contracted for one more year but don't be surprised to see him tearing it up at another club in the next couple of years.

We'll miss him for sure, what a man. We have some decent options coming through, though it might be a bit painful in the short term. The only way is up after the last Six Nations!

Ahh sure it wasn't a dig at Varndell, but he's unlikely to get another chance at international level. On the little I've seen Wade is well ahead at this stage in his career.

Total shite today. Fair enough most of the backline weren't long off the plane, but I really felt for Hogg when everyone went missing almost everytime he got the ball. In fact, did Barritt do anything? I don't remember his name being mentioned. Youngs was pretty ordinary, may have played himself off the bench and the pack was generally pretty dire. Even Tipuric looked a man who knew he wasn't within an arses' roar of the 23. Shows how ordinary some of the dirt-trackers on this tour are. I hate to say it but Rory's darts have gone to shite, and he used to be so reliable, really sad to see.

The only positive is that had the replacements been on 15 minutes longer we'd have probably won.

Maitland hasn't impressed me either. I thought reason Zebo was on the bench was because they're considering him for Saturday.

Team i'd like to see Saturday

1) Vunipola

2) Youngs

3) A.Jones

4) A.W.Jones

5) O'Connell

6) Croft

7) Tipuric

8) Heaslip

9) Phillips

10) Sexton

11) Zebo