IGNORED

Lions V Baabaas

westred1

BOD missing out is the right thing to do, people have to forget about the sentimental values that would've been in place if he'd been selected because he simply wasn't good enough in the first test and especially the second.

Tuilagi deserves a chance from the bench; he'll cause the Wallaby back line all sorts of problems with his size and power. He'll come on for Davies around the 60 mark and having the impetus of Manu and Roberts should see us over the gain line more often.

Youngs is incredibly unlucky to find himself on the bench for the series finale. His line out, bar one throw I can remember last weekend, has been very good in recent matches whereas Hibbards throwing in has been suspect to say the least and it was his failed line out that allowed Australia to kick down field towards the end of the match in Melbourne. He's been selected for scrum time and that is understandable with the shambles that happened last week but that was Vunipola's mishaps not Youngs. Corbs is back in to tightened the pack and I think Gatland has selected Hibbard to really have a go at the Aussie forwards from the off.

Faletau deserves his call up as he's done nothing wrong on tour whilst Heaslip has been indifferent and O'Brien coming in is correct as his performance off the bench last week proved he has a lot to give. Nice to see Tipuric on the bench too.

Ultimately it's a bigger side to try and hurt the Australians and create holes in their defence. I'm very nervous as I don't know which way it will go. It's interesting to see veteran George Smith at 7 for them; his experience could be vital.

Nervously excited!

Very little sentimentality in my view on BOD. I think that him playing on for Ireland the last couple of years has been a mistake. Not because he's no longer good enough for test match rugby but because when he eventually does call it a day after next year's Six Nations we'll only have a year until the world cup to get a replacement acclimatised to test match rugby.

Were Roberts and Tuilagi banging hard on the door then I might have understood the decision, but in reality both have been injured and we have absolutely no idea how either will go on Saturday. Losing BOD's defensive organisation could be critical, especially if Davies' effort for the winning try is anything to go by.

The big problem on this tour has been Fatty Gatty's inability to put together a test team capable of doing anything other than tackling the bejaysus out of gold jerseys and praying for penalties because they have a freakish goal kicker. I'm all for doing what you have to do to win, and maybe it'll be enough to win the series, maybe it won't, but it certainly hasn't captured the imagination in the way that the 2009 tour did.

We will win on saturday because there was a grenade thrown in the dressing room apparently after the last test and questions asked over commitment. Quite right too,i was left seething after watching that utter tosh which was served up.

We made a poor Aussie team look very good.

We will win on saturday because there was a grenade thrown in the dressing room apparently after the last test and questions asked over commitment. Quite right too,i was left seething after watching that utter tosh which was served up.

I hope you're right.

Not sure that means we will win! Aussies have all the momentum and in fairness should have already won the series.

Were Roberts and Tuilagi banging hard on the door then I might have understood the decision, but in reality both have been injured and we have absolutely no idea how either will go on Saturday. Losing BOD's defensive organisation could be critical, especially if Davies' effort for the winning try is anything to go by.

Last test - Davies 7 tackles made and missed 3, BOD 12 tackles made and missed 0.

It's a huge call and the wrong one to drop BOD in my opinion in what will be a very very right game.

Last test - Davies 7 tackles made and missed 3, BOD 12 tackles made and missed 0.

It's a huge call and the wrong one to drop BOD in my opinion in what will be a very very right game.

Where did you get those stats pal?

It wasnt perhaps BODs defensive work that was the question, it was going forward where he cut up Norths space on a few occasions and his passing wasnt up to scratch which is unusual for him.

Davies hasn't had the opportunity to attack to his full potential as he is a 13 not a 12; he's not a big bosh inside centre which is the game plan Gatland has played in both tests. It will work well with Roberts there and Davies can then roam and exploit the space.

I think they'll be a fair few tries scored by both teams and hopefully a Lions win!

Where did you get those stats pal?

It wasnt perhaps BODs defensive work that was the question, it was going forward where he cut up Norths space on a few occasions and his passing wasnt up to scratch which is unusual for him.

Davies hasn't had the opportunity to attack to his full potential as he is a 13 not a 12; he's not a big bosh inside centre which is the game plan Gatland has played in both tests. It will work well with Roberts there and Davies can then roam and exploit the space.

I think they'll be a fair few tries scored by both teams and hopefully a Lions win!

I really wish I had your optimism, Lewis. Fatland needs the Lions to play in this final test, if not score tries to salvage his reputation. Otherwise any hope he might have had of landing the All Blacks job will be all but gone.

Wow, didn't think any of us saw that coming

One last word on the BOD omission (which I didn't agree with), look at the blokes reaction watching the tries go over. Team man, he wanted that as much as anyone, whether he was playing or not. The bloke is a legend and the game will be poorer for when he eventually retires. Compare that to Sexton's reaction to being subbed. I'm sure between them BOD and POC will make sure that never happens again

I love the Lions tours, knowing that for 6 weeks every 4 years our 4 fantastic countries can come together and be a team like that makes be proud to be British. Seeing Rowntree hugging the life out of Howley near the end summed it up for me, that's what it's all about. Imagine the Aussies, All Blacks and Saffers coming over here and doing that?

Fantastic win, now for The Ashes. What a summer we have ahead of us

The All Blacks have only lost one game over here in about the last 25!

Lions in NZ, 12 test series, won 1 lost 11.

Not saying we would win I would just like to see a one off lions v semi hemisphere game or series over here with a NH ref.

The lack of respect shown to Gatland this week was appalling. Hope they regret it now.

Agreed. Clearly the right called dropping BOD after his performance last week. Roberts was top class today.

Great win for the lions, but I do feel that to a point it was despite Gatland's selection rather than because of it. Davies offered little but a decent left boot and staying out of Roberts and Norths way, Phillips was fine while the pack was on top, as soon as the space got restricted he was out of his depth. And his box kicking is shite. Hibbard is full of energy but every time he goes into contact- tackling or carrying the ball- he looks in serious danger of knocking himself out. So Gatland got O'Brien at 7 right because Corbs picked himself

Fantastic scenes mind, and masses of character and skill shown, but it was the players not Gatland that won that game

Great win for the lions, but I do feel that to a point it was despite Gatland's selection rather than because of it. Davies offered little but a decent left boot and staying out of Roberts and Norths way, Phillips was fine while the pack was on top, as soon as the space got restricted he was out of his depth. And his box kicking is shite. Hibbard is full of energy but every time he goes into contact- tackling or carrying the ball- he looks in serious danger of knocking himself out. So Gatland got O'Brien at 7 right because Corbs picked himself

Fantastic scenes mind, and masses of character and skill shown, but it was the players not Gatland that won that game

Rubbish I'm afraid. He made some massive calls this week and no doubt the team that played last week would of lost today. Of course it is done to the players at the end of the day but you have to pick the right team first of all which he certainly did.

Rubbish I'm afraid. He made some massive calls this week and no doubt the team that played last week would of lost today. Of course it is done to the players at the end of the day but you have to pick the right team first of all which he certainly did.

I don't think I put my point across very well actually. Obviously the buck stops with Gatland whichever way it goes so he should get credit when they win and criticism when they don't, but that win was purely down to the addition of Corbisiero and the rejigging of the back row. That platform allowed Phillips (who I think is poor to be honest) space and that transferred to the rest of the backs. The 3 players who made a difference IMO were Corbs (no brain pick), Roberts (no brain pick) and O'Brien (for whom Gatland deserves credit) but Hibbard, Philips and Davies (who were the ccontroversial picks) all contributed little and the first 2 aren't very good at all

However, I appreciate I'm nit-picking given the size of the win and overall quality of the performance, so well done Lions

Gatland made the correct decisions, B'OD may do well in the 6 nations but always struggles against the best teams in the Southern Hemisphere.

Robbie Deans has paid the price for his failure( all down to O Conner at 10 imo) and is to be replaced by Ewen McKenzie it seems.

Very interesting piece from the New Zealand Herald regarding the series.

That settles that, then. Robbie Deans will leave the Wallabies with a big F for failure stamped on his record after the Wallabies waved a white flag at an angry, red bull.

Finally, Warren Gatland's Lions moved in for a stunning kill. Deans is, according to all reports, past the last legs stage and a new coach will be in place when the Sanzar tournament begins.

He has found many ways to deserve the boot. The consistent theme to the Deans era is that there hasn't been one. Rare steps forward were followed by shuffles sideways or leaps backwards. The salute for Deans' magnificent Crusaders has turned into a scratching of the head while watching his wobbly Wallabies.

Whenever the big boys of world rugby, particularly the All Blacks and now the Lions, turned up to play, his Wallabies were overpowered, leaving any skill advantages stranded. Deans never seemed to understand the physical requirements for test rugby or get remotely close to finding the necessary artillery, perhaps by instigating a recruitment drive for props overseas.

He became the All Blacks' whipping boy, including during the last World Cup, the Wallabies having spent themselves in upsetting the Springboks.

His selections, particularly in the backs, have been amazingly inconsistent. We still don't know who his first five-eighths is. But for the emergence of the fabulous Will Genia, a candidate for best halfback in rugby history, the once marvellous Wallaby backline has become the welcome mat for ifs, buts and maybes.

The Lions' emphatic, stirring and thrilling victory in Sydney emphasised how badly the tourists had played in Melbourne, where Gatland's conservative plan invited another of Deans' career-extending escape acts. Gatland will be lauded, rightly, but his Lions should have won this series 3-0.

One place Deans does deserve defending is the non-selection of Quade Cooper. French and Dutch footballers might get away with searing honesty, but describing the national team environment as toxic is a mis-step too far in rugby. More than that, Cooper lacks the head for rugby heights.

The Wallaby scrum was a disgrace on Saturday night, and Deans' culpability there was only compounded when Sekope Kepu - who made an early entrance for the yellow-carded Ben Alexander - appeared to partially right the ship, suggesting another selection mishap.

Are there any nuggets of gold, apart from Genia, in Deans' legacy? Not really. He steadied a tumbling team, but nowhere close to the level of his reputation. There are damn good and tough test players in the Wallaby squad - Stephen Moore, James Horwill and co - but their battle scars have counted for little.

Deans' persistence is impressive. Less so are the public utterances delivered through clenched teeth, releasing snippets of useless information in a Robbie code that presents interviewers with the chance for hard-won victories that never arrive.

A favourite Deans v media story comes from an acquaintance who recalls a long interview that contained one gem that the coach, in an ensuing phone call, demanded be buried. He's not alone among coaches in keeping the public out of the loop, of course. But a touch of warmth or humour wouldn't go amiss.

Maybe - and this is a random judgment call - that walled-off persona helped count against success in this case because he couldn't get all the necessary parties on board.

His Super 15 reputation remains intact, but Deans' aura has taken a battering. What started out as a tantalising match between a highly organised coach and intelligent if underpowered rugby nation found its apparent, final collapse before the thundering hooves of Welsh, oops British and Irish, rugby. The result mirrored the rest of the maddening, confusing Robbie Deans reign.

Truth be told - and this is from one of his staunchest supporters - he should have been cut some time ago.

Gatland's men kings of rugby for now

The Lions are kings for now but they wouldn't stand a chance against the best of Southern Hemisphere rugby.

All power to Warren Gatland and his red army, and particularly the travelling supporters who turned stadiums around Australia into a crescendo of spine-tingling noise. It was a fabulous test series.

A battle of the hemispheres could be an amazing war of the rugby worlds, perhaps. Would it be Lions v Sanzar, or North v South? It will probably remain just a bright idea.

The Lions wouldn't stand a chance quite frankly. Take the All Blacks' core, add in Will Genia, Israel Folau, Bryan Habana, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira, Stephen Moore, Heinrich Brussow, Jean de Villiers etc, etc and hey presto. A few mighty Argentine props wouldn't go amiss either. My coach - Jake White. Cohesion established, the Lions would be obliterated.

Gatland has the keys to the Lions' kingdom, if he wants them. His post-series reaction has been stunning, detailing how the "vitriol" over the dropping of Irish sweetheart Brian O'Driscoll ruined the moment. The attacks were led by the northern media, who treat O'Driscoll - a once fabulous player past his prime - as a sacred cow.

Had the British/Irish observers taken their noses out of the history books and observed the first two tests, they would have seen a player still capable of decent defence but incapable of doing much with the ball.

O'Driscoll is tiring, and in an age where a lot of rugby attack involves running into people rather than around them, he doesn't make the extra metres.

The press pack had anointed O'Driscoll the new third test captain in Sam Warburton's absence. His dropping was a blow to their credibility, drawing a defence via attack response. It is a mistake we all easily make at times, relying on old set plays instead of being fresh to realities. Gatland had a hell of a last laugh, the trouble being he ain't laughing.

That is a good article Bill, though I think it understates O'Driscoll's standing in the game. He IS a sacred cow, and I'm a Munster fan.

Hopefully (if he retains the job) Fatland will have learned from the mistakes he's made (particularly the conservative ethos in the first two tests) and we'll be in a position to give the All Blacks a tough series in four years' time. The bulk of the team will still be there: Healy, Corbisiero and Tom Youngs, AWJ and Parling, Warburton, Faletau and SOB, Murray, Sexton, Farrell and almost all of the backs. Obviously we now have a long wait but there is absolutely no reason that the majority of these guys shouldn't be in the mix for test match selection when it comes around and that's a real positive.

Archived