IGNORED

Trouble At Football.

JOSH17

Leicester away in the cup went off outside that pub by the park, the police let City slip of in ones and twos and about 70 headed straight through the park and into a pub! Pint glasses, ashtrays. Pool cues were all being used as weapons!!

The worst I have seen = 1. Millwall at Ashton 1984, fires, coins, seats, smashed cars, windows etc etc.

2. Sags at Trumpton 1990, hoardings thrown, coins, police charge, general mayhem.

3. Cardiff at Ninian 2001, pitched battles in car park, missiles bombardment during game.

Interesting someone mentioned Wigan as being peaceful, I was at the JJB.in about 2000 ish and it all kicked off in a boozer outside the ground.

1998 Bricklayers arms by any chance?

Since I started following City regularly in the early to mid 90's cant comment on anything pre-date to that but have heard it was pretty nasty through the 70s/80s but have seen trouble involving City fans both home and away. The 3 home games I remember were:-

Charlton - FA Cup.

Sags - the game when Beadle scored that late equaliser.

Millwall - when we drew 0-0 with about 15min injury time. Kicked off big time outside, mostly Millwall fighting with police and our coach back to Dursley getting attacked.

Wouldn't count the trouble at home to Leeds as it was mainly a standoff, Leeds supposedly trying to get into the Williams.

Away games:-

Cardiff - When Murray scored twice in that 3-1 win.

Forest - The 'Amici' Incident. Me and my mates had some abuse from their boys, didn't think much of it and carried on walking... turned around a minute later and it had majorly gone off.

Sheffield Wednesday - When we took thousands up, lost 1-0. That was a crazy day from start to finish.

Could include the Plymouth game in this as well, the lunchtime kickoff 1-1 draw a few years back. Real needle there as well.

Worst i've seen was Reading '84 at Elm Park, things were going off everywhere, concrete thrown, TC on the pitch..chaos, had to move to the back of the terrace to avoid the stuff being thrown..plus we lost..was 15 at the time & went with the old man. (anyone remember Trevor Senior, quality striker)...

i remember it really well! got there early ,drinking cans etc got in the ground lowered there flag by the burger stall ..it was going of on all sides of the ground.i then decided to climb the fence and jump into the terracing on the left!! millwall as mentioned home and away....sheff utd the day they came on the pitch.... etc etc

i remember it really well! got there early ,drinking cans etc got in the ground lowered there flag by the burger stall ..it was going of on all sides of the ground.i then decided to climb the fence and jump into the terracing on the left!! millwall as mentioned home and away....sheff utd the day they came on the pitch.... etc etc

Can you imagine a riot at Reading these days? It's the finest example of modern middle class football these days!

Gerard Lavin tried his best one day... Even that only got a half hearted response!!

Still think Walsall away in the play offs takes some beating due to what was riding on it, it was crazy outside.

Rovers v city at eastville mid eighties not sure of exact year but it was really really windy and I think holloway scored the only goal.ended up right in the corner of the terrace next to the tote end.north stand not the one that spontaneously combusted.me and 2 mates jumped up cheering because we thought steve johnson had equlised with a lob but the wind caught it and it went over the bar.about 20 gas came over to the fencing giving us abuse when out of nowhere a load of city caved in a metal section at the back and poured in to near us and gave the ones giving us abuse a proper pasting, the ones that got cornered before they could run that is.not particularly violent just very funny looking back at it and seeing gas having to scarper for it in their own end.

what happened against Carlisle in the LDV ?

I got trashed at that game, but that was a personal issue with Mr Drink :laugh:... Ended up in a pub with some Carlisle fans, swopped shirts and went down on one knee to propose to a now ex girlfriend who I later had a kid with.. So that trouble has lasted you could say..

I got trashed at that game, but that was a personal issue with Mr Drink :laugh:... Ended up in a pub with some Carlisle fans, swopped shirts and went down on one knee to propose to a now ex girlfriend who I later had a kid with.. So that trouble has lasted you could say..

Did you take your (ex) bird to football with you? That would have been your first mistake!

Your right, I saw some pretty mad business going on back around then, one that sticks in the mind was when a favourite thing to do was get hold of an away fan and get them upside down so their money fell out and I saw many a double decker bus get rocked to and fro with many on board scrambling to get off which was out of order cos most on the bus were nothing to do with football and probably just coming back from shopping.! Nothing to do with me I was a gawky 6ft streak of piss back then, im more like 4ft wide now mind.

Did you take your (ex) bird to football with you? That would have been your first mistake!

Yes I did, She only went to 2 matches the other down at the gate, educated London birds, don't get involved..

Growing up in the eighties you saw a lot. But in terms of trouble that I was old enough to appreciate, in no particular order, Plymouth away 96/97, no more car show room! Watford away in 97 was an eye opener for me, not too much trouble, but the largest mob of city I think I've ever seen. Not a replica kit in sight and by the time we joined up with the coaches at Watford gap, there were hundreds of city. I was 18 and can remember everyone stopping in an underpass just before we reached the town centre, one of my most vivid memories, and I get goose bumps thinking about it now. Silly really.

Later on Cardiif away in 99 or 2000 ish, the evening game, Swansea the year before.

Sheffield Wed away, obviously, a funny day that. THe moment someone tells you there's a non description mini bus from Lawrence Weston in the convoy, you know it's no ordinary away day. Anyone remember how it transpired to end up in the Gypsy Queen?? One phrase, 'it's a trap' cue Star Wars music!

There were actually two thirty six seaters from Lawrence Weston that day,stopped off in Windsor on the way back and can remember everyone dancing on the tables outside,locals were pulling in one entrance and immediately leaving via the exit,absolutely mental day.

There were actually two thirty six seaters from Lawrence Weston that day,stopped off in Windsor on the way back and can remember everyone dancing on the tables outside,locals were pulling in one entrance and immediately leaving via the exit,absolutely mental day.

I used to go on a fair few away trips with that lot, we used that pub in Windsor a few times. Brighton on a Tuesday night we got there at lunch time, and in the end the landlord turned off the video jukebox because everyone kept playing Madonna's Erotic, the video to which was not exactly family orientated!!

Growing up in the eighties you saw a lot. But in terms of trouble that I was old enough to appreciate, in no particular order, Plymouth away 96/97, no more car show room! Watford away in 97 was an eye opener for me, not too much trouble, but the largest mob of city I think I've ever seen. Not a replica kit in sight and by the time we joined up with the coaches at Watford gap, there were hundreds of city. I was 18 and can remember everyone stopping in an underpass just before we reached the town centre, one of my most vivid memories, and I get goose bumps thinking about it now. Silly really.

Later on Cardiif away in 99 or 2000 ish, the evening game, Swansea the year before.

Sheffield Wed away, obviously, a funny day that. THe moment someone tells you there's a non description mini bus from Lawrence Weston in the convoy, you know it's no ordinary away day. Anyone remember how it transpired to end up in the Gypsy Queen?? One phrase, 'it's a trap' cue Star Wars music!

It wasn't meant to happen at the Gypsy Queen,the " meet" was at another pub in a village outside of Sheffield.

City moved from that one and ended up at the Gypsy Queen, there was even a builders skip outside the pub. City being City even let Wednesday have first pick of the skip!!

Didn't do them much good though!!

Newcastle-under-Lyme away friendly. Can't remember when but I think it was Dennis Smith's first friendly. He was from those parts.

I accidentally gave the ticket collector a comedy geordie accent not realising it was a different Newcastle. The evil look he gave me lives with me to this day.

Cardiff at home (night game) early 70s. Massive scraps in the streets and alley ways alongside Coronation Road.

Over 180 arrested; a large number of which were those caught fighting on the Gaol Ferry Bridge.

Man City away (twice) in the old First Division. Brutal. Broken nose.

Millwall home in the early 80s - mentioned by a few on here already. Horrible day.

Millwall decided to change the rules and didn't enjoy the tables being turned on them (metaphorically and literally!)

It wasn't meant to happen at the Gypsy Queen,the " meet" was at another pub in a village outside of Sheffield.

City moved from that one and ended up at the Gypsy Queen, there was even a builders skip outside the pub. City being City even let Wednesday have first pick of the skip!!

Didn't do them much good though!!

Mental day out all round. I can remember heading back south in the mini bus, looking at my watch and it wasn't even 2.

Cardiff at home (night game) early 70s. Massive scraps in the streets and alley ways alongside Coronation Road.

Over 180 arrested; a large number of which were those caught fighting on the Gaol Ferry Bridge.

Man City away (twice) in the old First Division. Brutal. Broken nose.

Millwall home in the early 80s - mentioned by a few on here already. Horrible day.

Millwall decided to change the rules and didn't enjoy the tables being turned on them (metaphorically and literally!)

the millwall game was carnage!! id just left the black horse when a certain city fan { if youre in the know ;) will know him}brought his grzzly mates from east laaaandon to the pub,few id just left.!!i also remembered the milk float outside ag getting ambushed.that was one hell of a day...portsmouth in the dolman is another.......good old days gone but not forgotten!!!!

I remember that well - it was a League Cup game towards the end of August, and my Dad (a Bath City fan) suggested that we pop over to Ashton Gate to watch the match, as we'd not seen much football for a few months. I think City won.

After the match we were stuck in the traffic on Coronation Road and could hear the Cardiff fans causing carnage, and getting closer to where we were. Dustbins were thrown through windows, and I believe that a couple of cars were overturned. We could do nothing but sit in the car with our fingers crossed - they ran straight past us, maybe because Dad's car was blue! I think that the number of arrests was a record in England at that time, and one of the Cardiff fans arrested was the nephew of the great John Charles, ex Cardiff player. It was plastered all across the front of the Western Daily Press the next morning, and Dad hid the paper so that Mum wouldn't give him a rollicking for taking me to the game - he got his come uppance when the evening news came on though! :whistle:

the millwall game was carnage!! id just left the black horse when a certain city fan { if youre in the know ;) will know him}brought his grzzly mates from east laaaandon to the pub,few id just left.!!i also remembered the milk float outside ag getting ambushed.that was one hell of a day...portsmouth in the dolman is another.......good old days gone but not forgotten!!!!

Ah! P M,I remember being in a car with the twins from bemmy,pick axe handle,sledge hammer ect, waving them out of the windows along coronation rd,the look on the 'wall fans faces was a picture.Also remember being in the ship and castle and as the bell rang for time all the pool balls found their way into peoples pockets as did the snapped pool cues.Mental,mental day.

Your right, I saw some pretty mad business going on back around then, one that sticks in the mind was when a favourite thing to do was get hold of an away fan and get them upside down so their money fell out and I saw many a double decker bus get rocked to and fro with many on board scrambling to get off which was out of order cos most on the bus were nothing to do with football and probably just coming back from shopping.! Nothing to do with me I was a gawky 6ft streak of piss back then, im more like 4ft wide now mind.

Remember doing that on the London underground rocking the packed carriages people look terrified

For the older lot

I'm just reading Chris browns book, he reckons city got smashed by the gas on the EE but I'm told Rovers never got on there??

What's the truth?

There are a lot of untruths in that book, he mentioned that a lot of rovers lads left rovers to join city when we made it to the first, or the years leading up to it.

Archived