IGNORED

Trouble At Football.

JOSH17

Correct...i was there, not a total take over but a bloody good go,......not as good as we did at their tump !....and we did used to join up, was in the white lion* at eastville before the gas played Villa, more city wearing colours than gas, all on the tote to give villa a dig, sadly the gas started having a pop at us.....cheers then, ALWAYS Hated them since

*or was it the black lion ??? think it turned into a social club for Unigate, or am i having a bad day !

They went in there a few times, but used to get in as early as poss and get at the back,then wind up getting totally surrounded but I've bever seen them have anything remotely resembling a result at AG!

Brum. Yep, I alluded to that in an earlier post. Small number of City remained but Brum had the entire centre block of the East end plus overspill.

Must have missed that Sag game. Can remember them being on the East End but usually up in the corner. Some did try and join us vs Man Ure but were side lined.

Circa 67, they were all over the shop, even down the side enclosure where the Dolman is now . That was a catalyst for some sort of organisation so that this sort of thing never happened again, and from then on , for the most part,it never did.

The gash? yeh got in there a few times, did **** all!

Away:

West Brom in 98/99, the 2nd half got delayed because it was kicking off by the segregation. I think it had been designated as a game which didn't need a police presence. As a wide-eyed, innocent 14 year old who hadn't done many aways, that one was a bit of an eye opener!

Sheff Wed when we took loads up there was a bit dodgy. Remember leaving after we lost to the last kick, and it was "lively" outside...

Reading away on the opening day in 99 under Pulis. That went largely under the radar because Millwall were at Cardiff on the same day and had run riot in the city centre, which made national news.

Home:

Millwall in 2001(?) on a Friday night, we'd won it in injury time and their lot were trying to refurbish the away section.

Pompey on the opening day in 92/93

Rovers with the pitch invasion live on Sky.

Swansea away 1998?

Midweek match. Running battles after the game. I seem to remember the petrol station and it was kicking off.

Think it was a draw. It was raining pretty heavy and when we scored it was mayhem.

Good times.

Also Brimingham City at their place when we won 4-0. The police came wadding in and most of their hats and jackets after they came of worst we flying round in the air!

Will never forget Bolton away, we took so many they had to open up another stand. I climbed the fence. Best atmosphere ever that day.

Reading first game of the season 99. Was along way back to the station, with an ankle injury.

Stevo

Ah! P M,I remember being in a car with the twins from bemmy,pick axe handle,sledge hammer ect, waving them out of the windows along coronation rd,the look on the 'wall fans faces was a picture.Also remember being in the ship and castle and as the bell rang for time all the pool balls found their way into peoples pockets as did the snapped pool cues.Mental,mental day.

yep thats the boy :thumbsup:

Stockport away in the FA Cup, the round after the Liverpool game

Charlton at home in the FA Cup, same year

Pompey at home first game of the season

West Ham at home when Redknapp was in charge, early 90s I guess. Night game, was evil

The Charlton game has been mentioned on here numerous times in 'best atmosphere' threads, the place really was buzzing that day. Someone else has mentioned how apparently there were fans from a lot of London clubs in with them that day, that was certainly the rumour at the time. Seems we've upset a few down the years!

As for City & R*vers 'mobbing' up on other fans.....didn't it all kick off in town before the Wolves - Sheff Utd play off final in C*rdiff a few years ago, I heard that we 'fought' alongside each other that day? Any truth in that one?

If you want to read some good books on it, the Brimson brothers done some brilliant ones about 10 years ago. Pair of Watford fans, there were one of two about their own experiences, then they opened it up to everyone. Some great stories in there (without wishing to glamorous hooliganism), but it was part of the culture for a long time

What year was this supposed to have happened?

It was the Gloucester cup game '74, they had a real good go that night, although the stuff in the

book in an exaggeration.

I dont recall any of their lot coming over to us post promotion to Div 1, though a few mates of

mine who were Rovers did change sides around '74 as it was a better laugh with our lot!

As for the Maritas incident in '70, was anyone on here present at the time? a couple of mates

from school were there, some of their lot came in, one had a walking stick and the place erupted,

with some Rovers led in the road, a lot of City lads got borstal for it.

Swansea away 1998?

Midweek match. Running battles after the game. I seem to remember the petrol station and it was kicking off.

Think it was a draw. It was raining pretty heavy and when we scored it was mayhem.

Good times.

Also Brimingham City at their place when we won 4-0. The police came wadding in and most of their hats and jackets after they came of worst we flying round in the air!

Will never forget Bolton away, we took so many they had to open up another stand. I climbed the fence. Best atmosphere ever that day.

Reading first game of the season 99. Was along way back to the station, with an ankle injury.

Stevo

That Brum game was mental!

I couldn't get on the away terrace so went in the assigned bit of the main stand to the right of the away terrace. Just before half time, I went for a brew at a cafeteria underneath the stand and suddenly, up it went, There were our lot coming from one side and blues coming from the other into the same space. Obviously chaos ensued!

The funniest thing about that game was watching Russell Bromage jumping a wall to get away from their 'element' after the game. Birmingham had some serious headcases in those days.

The worst I saw has to be Reading in 1984, that was bad although the 5-1 against the Taffs sticks in the memory too.

Anyone have the guided tour of the nick that they built on the side of the east end ?

I was cordiallly invited in on a couple of occasions, had a free ride in a police car as well !

Yep, spent a couple of hours in there myself.....

Stockport away in the FA Cup, the round after the Liverpool game

Charlton at home in the FA Cup, same year

Pompey at home first game of the season

West Ham at home when Redknapp was in charge, early 90s I guess. Night game, was evil

The Charlton game has been mentioned on here numerous times in 'best atmosphere' threads, the place really was buzzing that day. Someone else has mentioned how apparently there were fans from a lot of London clubs in with them that day, that was certainly the rumour at the time. Seems we've upset a few down the years!

As for City & R*vers 'mobbing' up on other fans.....didn't it all kick off in town before the Wolves - Sheff Utd play off final in C*rdiff a few years ago, I heard that we 'fought' alongside each other that day? Any truth in that one?

If you want to read some good books on it, the Brimson brothers done some brilliant ones about 10 years ago. Pair of Watford fans, there were one of two about their own experiences, then they opened it up to everyone. Some great stories in there (without wishing to glamorous hooliganism), but it was part of the culture for a long time

I read the book Capital Punishment by the Brimson Brothers, good read and featured City a fair bit taking on the capital lot. The rivalry with Millwall in the 80s was bloody crazy, especially reading the bit about when Millwall attacked the City supporter coaches after leading them down a dead end.

To be honest im glad I was far too young in the 80s as it just seemed totally mental plus the fact I couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag ;)

For the older lot

I'm just reading Chris browns book, he reckons city got smashed by the gas on the EE but I'm told Rovers never got on there??

What's the truth?

In my opinion, that guy Brown is a bit of a fantasist.

Some of the stuff he's written is fine - I've heard it corroborated by others.

However, where necessary he has used creative licence and embellished things - that's what sells books. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Reverend Brown -What would Jesus say?

For the avoidance of any doubt - the SAGs have never taken the East End. (Unless they mean when it became the away fans end!)

Yeah, as I've said before they once made a reasonable attempt by sneaking in and surprising us. A few put up a good scrap, but, as ever, they ended up getting a good hiding.

Taking an end means what it says. Having a five-minute brawl is a feeble claim for taking an end. If a five-minute punch-up counted, that would mean that every end in the country was taken.

When they tried to stop us taking the Tote (which we did many times) they fought like banshees and, to be fair to them, they kept fighting, on and off, throughout the entire game.

I remember my old man telling me that only once where the EE was totally taken over by away supporters and he said it was Brum in the late 60s? Anybody know anything?

He pretty much said they took the piss that day and that's where it all started for City.

Yeah, he's right it was Brum. 1968? I remember a few of them wearing white overalls and butcher's coats (that was short-lived)

Rumour was that they were brandishing hatchets and a sawn-off shotgun!

Nice!

What a day that was!

I think both Bolton and we were surprised at the numbers we took. They were really p*££ed that we took over a few of their pubs too. Haha!

Great atmosphere - shame we lost.

What a great idea to use part of one end for a DIY store. Kerrching!

Cant remember the year, was a night game at QPR p ing down all night.

Think Ritchie got the winner 1-0.

Loads of City there that night, but a load disappeared with about 10 minutes to go.

Then at the opposite QPR end the City lads came in from one side, you never seen an end empty so fast.

Then to complete the night the old bill arrested the coach load of us at the start of m4 on way back home and took us back to the cop shop,Some QPR fan was beaten and we had to stand in a circle while this chap just come out from hospital treatment, had to point the culprits out. 4am.

Tell you when they stand in front of you, you just hope they have a good memory!

In my opinion, that guy Brown is a bit of a fantasist.

Some of the stuff he's written is fine - I've heard it corroborated by others.

However, where necessary he has used creative licence and embellished things - that's what sells books. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Reverend Brown -What would Jesus say?

For the avoidance of any doubt - the SAGs have never taken the East End. (Unless they mean when it became the away fans end!)

Yeah, as I've said before they once made a reasonable attempt by sneaking in and surprising us. A few put up a good scrap, but, as ever, they ended up getting a good hiding.

Taking an end means what it says. Having a five-minute brawl is a feeble claim for taking an end. If a five-minute punch-up counted, that would mean that every end in the country was taken.

When they tried to stop us taking the Tote (which we did many times) they fought like banshees and, to be fair to them, they kept fighting, on and off, throughout the entire game.

Man for man there was no difference, it was just sheer weight of City numbers that used to win the day, they would be shoved all the way to that "bus stop" in the corner, with City end to end in the Tote .

anyone remember boro home and away bout 87/88 ? that was lively ! also lincoln away fourth division

The Boro away game I remember had golf balls coming over outside afterwards. Think they were angsty after an incident at Temple Meads in the reverse fixture? Can't believe it was due to the result up there, as Stuart Ripley and his flowing blonde locks must have popped a few sitters onto the heads of Slaven/Cooper/Mowbray/Pallister et al?

Bournemouth away 83/84-ish - think it made the back page of the Today newspaper?

Plymouth away same season (I think) - trouble in ground, chartered train sent back from Plymouth station, but many took umbrage and ventured forth onto the tracks.

Think the Millwall 84/85 extravaganza at AG was about 10 days before they rioted at Luton in the Cup?

Wolves away - not vast amounts of trouble, but always intimidating standing on the South Bank (on a Tuesday night it always seemed as if there were only about 60 of us, but it was a big old terrace) whilst a) they whistled eerily or b) went mental as Steve Bull rampaged through to smash yet another (or so it seemed) hat-trick goal into the roof of the net. That underpass was never much fun either.

Jeez, i am getting old, all of these stories are reminding me of all the mad thigs i have done and witnessed,

some arsholes write books that are rammed with blox, i write on this forum from the heart ( Some might think i dont possess one ) but the truth will always win through, some of you guys on this forum are from the old firm, we never had a name like CSF or whatever, but we were there,.... i spent most of my wages during seasons 1973 - 1980 travelling with a tight knit group from the wood all across this green and pleasant land and just turning up, no phones, no emails, you just knew the crew would be there...loved every minute...

BTW....Who remembers bolton away,,( late seventies to early eighties ?) we started with a good 200 at a guess and finished with about 80, the rest were either nicked or in hospital.......Now that's wot i call an adrenalin rush !!!!!!!!

Archived