IGNORED

Players Who Were "good" Before Signing For City

Major Isewater

Sno was quality aganist us for Ajax, wouldn't say he flopped here but was never as good as he could of been. Being played out of position didn't help!

Phil Jevons was banging the goals in for Yeovil then joined us, hasn't produced the same form since.

And Marcus Stewart! 17 goals in the Championship the season before joining us.

Sno was definitely quality. Only problem was that GJ didn't have a clue how to play him.

Please stop now this is getting depressing.

Is there a thread for players who have pleasantly surprised us ?

All gone quiet !!!

Marvin Elliott when he first joined us as a Millwall reject... That first season he had for us.. Just wow.

Of course i was here in north korea leading the revolution at the time but my spies tell me he was unplayable that season.

Stewart and Bridges for me.

Definitely these two, I had so much hope going into the 2005/06 season mainly because we had these two up front. That went proper tits up.

If you include loan signings:

Harpal Singh - Used to be all over 'Football Focus' as the next big thing in English football but was pants in the few games he was here.

Sean McCarthy - Prolific in front of goal for a couple of clubs (Oldham and Plymouth?) but not so impressive for us iirc.

On the other side of the coin I thought Mark Robins was brilliant.

Styvar. Lucky strike vs Villa made him into something he wasn't (good).

David James has to be our biggest flop over the last decade though. England number one, then City, then how the **** did this guy make such a career????

Bridges was a sick note and Stewart loved to be in the local - so not too ba compared to DJ.

I think another worth a mention is a young Marvin Brown. Technically signed on (from youth) ad was supposed to be the shiznik but clearly not.

Oh, and how's about Andy Webster for good measure....

Begs the question, I wonder how many other teams have such a handsome list?

Styvar. Lucky strike vs Villa made him into something he wasn't (good).

David James has to be our biggest flop over the last decade though. England number one, then City, then how the **** did this guy make such a career????

Bridges was a sick note and Stewart loved to be in the local - so not too ba compared to DJ.

I think another worth a mention is a young Marvin Brown. Technically signed on (from youth) ad was supposed to be the shiznik but clearly not.

Oh, and how's about Andy Webster for good measure....

Begs the question, I wonder how many other teams have such a handsome list?

He wasn't that bad.

He wasn't that bad.

He was. He is the worst first choice keeper I have seen down here.

The basics he just got so wrong. the worst being don't push a shot back into your own box but out wide or out for a corner.

I can forgive the odd lapse of concentration or complete misjudgement. But the basics on a regular basis. I just don't understand how he ever got 50 plus caps after watching him. Surely you don't lose the basics at 40, just the agility!

Agree. He had arguably a worse defence than Tom Heaton in front of him...

Heaton: Cunningham, Fontaine, Tangs, Maloney

vs.

James: McGivern, Fontaine, Tangs, Wilson/Foster

Never seen a goalie so reluctant to catch ANYTHING, let alone punch the ball into his own net.

When we were winning at home to Reading and lost - thanks to DJ on that, plus plenty other games.

He would just give the ball back when players shot, rather than round the post or catch the bastard ball!

Unfortunately, Lansdown's patience cost us a lot there, more than many other 'flops' we've had.

What, like Kilkenny?

I don't know what would be a worse DVD to watch:

"Fontaine's air kick compilation"

Or

"Calamity James, a tale of parries - how to give the opponent a second chance"

Question. If a ball is fired in do you a. Push it out wide. B. Push it behind c. Push it over d. Hold it e. Parry it back into the centre of the 6 yard box.

David James.... the decision is yours!

Eeeeez are goode eeeze are goode Ebenezer goode!

Question. If a ball is fired in do you a. Push it out wide. B. Push it behind c. Push it over d. Hold it e. Parry it back into the centre of the 6 yard box.

David James.... the decision is yours!

Eeeeez are goode eeeze are goode Ebenezer goode!

DavidJames1204_468x453.jpg'E' every time!!!!!!!!!!

Going back a few years, Steve Johnson, supposedly the solution to our lack of height up front (we played with two wingers and two strikers, neither of whom could get on the big rides at Alton Towers!)

He was useless, a total donkey

Oh - and Trundle was always a showboating d1ck, so no surprise there that he failed at City, what a rotten signing

I can't remember a Steve Johnson??!

I seem to remember Soren Anderson arriving with a reputation and price tag to match and never did a lot??!

I can't remember a Steve Johnson??!

I seem to remember Soren Anderson arriving with a reputation and price tag to match and never did a lot??!

Thought Andersen was quite decent. Especially as he was played out on the left a fair bit.

Make we should re-title this to 'players who were decent before signing for City only to be played out of position or not used to there strengths' .

Archived