IGNORED

Clevedon Vs City Match Day Thread

East end Forever

Right here is my take on it. We controlled all 90 minutes with 2 different sides. It seemed more of a have a look at players game than result game. They had 2 chances and took them both. Wilson messed up the second imo, not the keeper. The keeper tried to get it but it was underhit by wilson. First half team passed it about ok but didn't really test the keeper. Second half team much the same, but playing without a recognised striker hurt us.

All in all a poor game but nothing to get all upset about imo.

But you were there so your opinion obviously doesn't count.

I wasn't so I'm going to go along with some of the others on here and have a girly hissy fit over a meaningless friendly.

SOD OUT!!

I was there and could not care less about the result, the 2 goals came against a keeper who won't be here next season and a defence with Wilson & Carey in it who also won't play much next season. The first goal was also suspiciously offside. 2nd half we had all the possession but could not score, However I thought Holloway is a big powerfully built lad and could potentially be a handfull, thought he did more than Taylor to be fair.

Woods also looked neat and tidy and took his goal well.

Reid looked good, maybe that playmaker we've been looking for?
Charles-Cook wasn't great, unfortunately, lets hope he gets better!
No Baldock, Anderson, Adomah or Davies...

Right here is my take on it. We controlled all 90 minutes with 2 different sides. It seemed more of a have a look at players game than result game. They had 2 chances and took them both. Wilson messed up the second imo, not the keeper. The keeper tried to get it but it was underhit by wilson. First half team passed it about ok but didn't really test the keeper. Second half team much the same, but playing without a recognised striker hurt us.

I don't agree we controlled all 90mins. I thought we controlled the 2nd half. I also think Wilson made a simple defensive error in the 1st goal. His body was facing the ball opposed to his body facing the other teams goal, simple ball over his head - goal. You can see SOD is trying to get them passing though.

From the report sounded like we played the long ball game a bit; that sounds distinctly un-sod like.

Anyway, another work out.

Hope a few fans found The Blue Flame agreeable.

Don.t know what they were watching then!!

We tried to play some intelligent balls over the top from midfield. They didn't work primarily because we didn't have any strikers playing. To say we played long ball is out of touch with what I saw but it's all opinions of course and not everybody see's the same game. I though second half we actually played a pass too many at times instead of getting the ball in the box.

That's pretty much how i saw it. Thought their first goal was offside while agree on Wilson being at fault for the second. He really is dreadful although the ex Arsenal kiddie in goal didnt inspire me with any confidence in his first half showing. Reid showed flashes & Woods finished off a good team goal. Ryan Taylor also proved he cant finish at any level. 2nd half we had much more possesion in their half which was to be expected given the first choice defence & midfield on display & despite having an inexperienced front three they were as ever feeding on scraps.

Some silly comments on here to be honest!

That was out SECOND pre season fixture of the summer and already people are moaning? its not about the result, its about getting the team to play in a certain way and getting to know eachothers game! two different teams in each half for god sake...

I have to say that Reid was excellent, hes amazing on the ball and was completely dictating play, spreading passes left right and centre, Cleavdon couldn't live with him, and he can actually do something that Kilkenny still seems unable to do and thats pass forward, with accuracy! he'll have a great chance of being part of the first 11 with more performances like that!

Pearson was his usual awful self, the man cannot pass to save his life, Reid could teach him a few things...

Flint was very solid and looks a good buy

Kelly was working hard and got a few decent tackles in and seems to of improved on his long range passing

Williams was ok, however he played left back and to me, he doesn't look comfortable in that position, he was great in the air, so i hope he moves inside against Rangers as he looks to have all the attributes of a good, solid centre half!

Wilson, sorry but this guy needs to go, he was at fault for the first goal and lost his man on a number of occasions, he looked like he wanted to be somewhere else and just wasn't interested at all, but then maybe i'm being to kind, i think hes just crap all together IMO and has had plenty of time to cement his place in the team over the years, i feel his time is up!!

Sceond half i am not surprised we didn't score, we had no striker on the pitch, Holloway was useless, he has pace and strength but doesn't have much between the ears, over ran the ball most of the time, definitely not the answer, IMO! Ajala and Hall are not strikers, so again, not surprised we didn't score!

Conclusion, Second half team dominated the ball and created a few decent chances, if Davies and Boldock were on the pitch, we would not of lost that game! Moral or the story, we need some decent strikers, other than the two just mentioned!

Haha this thread has had me crying with laughter I hope the people moaning are'nt being serious. Fuc# me the players have been back barley a week we played a different 11 each half it's games like these that are building us up so come the first proper game of the season kicks off we are match sharp. Calm down it was only a friendly get on the cider and enjoy the evening sun and chill the fuc# out.

Haha this thread has had me crying with laughter I hope the people moaning are'nt being serious. Fuc# me the players have been back barley a week we played a different 11 each half it's games like these that are building us up so come the first proper game of the season kicks off we are match sharp. Calm down it was only a friendly get on the cider and enjoy the evening sun and chill the fuc# out.

If they could actually be bothered to attend the game, they wouldn't be moaning, we didn't play that badly, just a few individual mistakes by players already mentioned.

My opinion. I thought the grass was rather long!. I did however think holloway looked good second half. He showed good pace and feet and looks quite stocky. I did also think he isn't a natural forward. He seems to have a Good level of natural talent. I think hed may be better in midfield though.

Anyone with a realistic evaluation of the game today? Player by Player?

Charles-Cook - Not confident at all and IMO should have done better with their 2nd although mainly Wilson's fault

Wynter - Not a lot to do as they mostly attacked down our left

Louis - Slow, caught out a couple of times with long balls that got him turning like the QE2

Wilson - Useless, not confident and to blame for their 2nd with a poor back header

Williams - Started well but caught out too many times when they doubled up on him, no help from Bryan

Jordan - Annoymous

Reid - Confident and always wanted the ball but IMO not strong enough for L1 yet

Wood - Steady game, nothing spectacular

Bryan - Useless, no tracking back and hardly contributed

Burns - Worked hard but struggled against strong CBKs

Taylor - Worked hard but not the answer to our goalscoring

Roos - Nothing to do all 2nd half

Moloney - Very good, more or less played as a RW

Flint - No nonsense defending, 1 poor pass but always wanted the ball

Fontaine - 1 dodgy moment where he nearly got caught in possession but not a lot to do

Cunningham - Solid but again not a lot to do

Kelly - Busy, one of the better performances

Kilkenny - Usual self, pointing, shouting and sideways passing but did get forward a couple of times

Pearson - Annoymous

Hall - Annoymous

Ajala - MOM for us, worked hard out of position but put himself about

Amadi Holloway - Useless, has to decide what his best position is

1st half - our defending was poor, very poor, they had 2 chances and scored both. Other than the goal we hardly had a shot

2nd half - Better, lots of possession but you have to have an end product.

Overall - Poor defending from us & no threat up front. They were well up for it.

At least the cider & lager were good.

Charles-Cook - Not confident at all and IMO should have done better with their 2nd although mainly Wilson's fault

Wynter - Not a lot to do as they mostly attacked down our left

Louis - Slow, caught out a couple of times with long balls that got him turning like the QE2

Wilson - Useless, not confident and to blame for their 2nd with a poor back header

Williams - Started well but caught out too many times when they doubled up on him, no help from Bryan

Jordan - Annoymous

Reid - Confident and always wanted the ball but IMO not strong enough for L1 yet

Wood - Steady game, nothing spectacular

Bryan - Useless, no tracking back and hardly contributed

Burns - Worked hard but struggled against strong CBKs

Taylor - Worked hard but not the answer to our goalscoring

Roos - Nothing to do all 2nd half

Moloney - Very good, more or less played as a RW

Flint - No nonsense defending, 1 poor pass but always wanted the ball

Fontaine - 1 dodgy moment where he nearly got caught in possession but not a lot to do

Cunningham - Solid but again not a lot to do

Kelly - Busy, one of the better performances

Kilkenny - Usual self, pointing, shouting and sideways passing but did get forward a couple of times

Pearson - Annoymous

Hall - Annoymous

Amadi Holloway - Useless, has to decide what his best position is

1st half - our defending was poor, very poor, they had 2 chances and scored both. Other than the goal we hardly had a shot

2nd half - Better, lots of possession but you have to have an end product.

Overall - Poor defending from us & no threat up front. They were well up for it.

At least the cider & lager were good.

One fan saying Ajala was awful, one saying he was MOM.

Football is a great game of opinions.

I am consistent with my view on friendlys to be fair, I fail to see the benefit of losing 4, 5 or 6 etc games pre season, with the excuse that it is 'just a friendly'. It is the same scenario for the teams we are playing.

If our 11 pros can't beat or avoid defeat against amateurs, why would they suddenly pull a performance out the bag against our real opposition when the season starts?

But if we won 4,5,6 games pre season, that would be NO GUARANTEE that we would have have a good season. How many of these players have played together before. Or how many have these players have MET BEFORE :facepalm:

But if we won 4,5,6 games pre season, that would be NO GUARANTEE that we would have have a good season. How many of these players have played together before. Or how many have these players have MET BEFORE :facepalm:

Newcastle lost 7-1 or something in a friendly to Leyton Orient IIRC the same season they won the championship.

Pearson was a stand out, big critic of his but he used his size really well and looked our biggest goal threat in the second half

Holloway and ajala were poor

Pearson - Annoymous

:laugh:.......were you lads at the same match :P

First half started okay and scored a good goal with good set up play from Williams and Burns. Then Williams got caught under a cross and was punished. That was quickly followed by one of a few times Wilson misjudged a bounce and cocked up a back pass (not helped by the very long grass to be fair) but the keeper should have done better and although he didnt have much to do he looked nervous from then on.

SO'D spoke of a team dealing with disappointment and for a spell we looked second best until we switched to 3 at the back and the extra man in midfield brought us back some first half control without looking like scoring. I thought Carey looked good as did Reid and Woods. Have to agree with what i've read about Taylor. If he's not going to score many he needs to dominate defenders and bring people into play. He did neither and cant see where the improvement is gonna come from.

Second half was played with more intensity. Flint is just what we need, never stopped talking and organising not to mention winning first balls all day. Fonts did ok and used the ball well. Kelly and Lewis Hall in midfield tucked in allowing Maloney and Cunningham to get forward. I think the 2nd half back four will be in our starting line up.

I'm in the Pearson played well camp, taking on the responsibility and looked a threat. I even thought Killkeny was okay although people will have automatically decided these two were crap before a ball was kicked and wont give them a chance. Upfront Ajala was busy coming deep collecting the ball and was a threat but needs a bit of composure. I've never been a fan of Holloway but he showed glimpses of being a good player but still not convinced. Roos had to take one tricky ball and did that superbly, other than that he was a spectator.

Lots of possession 2nd half but with no real strikers we never really looked like scoring bar scrambles and long shots. Disappointed to lose but cant remember a pre season where we've not a had some embarrassing results.

Well, I'll stick my head above the parapet.

We heard from SoD last season he's concentrating on individual player performances. Our player performances were carp and remained so until May. We were relegated and most accepted that. We now have an ingrained losing mentality with the majority of players in the squad. We need to change that sharpish before our newcomers catch the disease. They all should ****** hate losing, particularly to amateur teams about 6 divisions below. That's what winners are about.

OK - we'll write these two pretty inept results as just community kick-a-bouts and taking a 'look-see' at fringe players. I'll still buy in to SoDs philosophy but to me, a lost opportunity to get some big scores/solid victories/team cohesion going and get a winning buzz/confidence back about the place.

From now on though, let's start getting in their ******* faces City. This is club culture, not just something you 'switch on' at the start of the season. Leave the Barca's to the Slags. We know we 've got to fight like a pack of bull-terriers to get out of this division - start performing now how you mean to go on.

As you may guess, I'm more a Warnock/Fergie fan than a Hodgson/Stevie Mac fan. Pity the blazers at the FA aren't.

Don.t know what they were watching then!!

We tried to play some intelligent balls over the top from midfield. They didn't work primarily because we didn't have any strikers playing. To say we played long ball is out of touch with what I saw but it's all opinions of course and not everybody see's the same game. I though second half we actually played a pass too many at times instead of getting the ball in the box.

Agree with all of that

Right we lost 2-1, but I don't think I'm disrespecting Clevedon by saying we were well ahead of them In terms of quality of football, particularly in the 2nd half. There was far less hit and hope from us and we were definitely playing more of the posession game. The only thing that worries me is what we do if we lose Davies or/and Baldock, as on today's performance, I'm not sure where goals are going to come from, as we had virtually nothing up front.

As has been said by others, not bothered by the result today, as the club have to run the rule over these trialists and fringe players and today was a perfect opportunity.

Randy Marsh excepted, as we all know he's not exactly unfamiliar with the odd wum, I just can't believe some of the muppets on here who are sounding like they're at the point of slashing their wrists.

It's an EARLY SEASON FRIENDLY ffs!!!!!!! :grr:

Well, I'll stick my head above the parapet.

We heard from SoD last season he's concentrating on individual player performances. Our player performances were carp and remained so until May. We were relegated and most accepted that. We now have an ingrained losing mentality with the majority of players in the squad. We need to change that sharpish before our newcomers catch the disease. They all should ****** hate losing, particularly to amateur teams about 6 divisions below. That's what winners are about.

OK - we'll write these two pretty inept results as just community kick-a-bouts and taking a 'look-see' at fringe players. I'll still buy in to SoDs philosophy but to me, a lost opportunity to get some big scores/solid victories/team cohesion going and get a winning buzz/confidence back about the place.

From now on though, let's start getting in their ******* faces City. This is club culture, not just something you 'switch on' at the start of the season. Leave the Barca's to the Slags. We know we 've got to fight like a pack of bull-terriers to get out of this division - start performing now how you mean to go on.

As you may guess, I'm more a Warnock/Fergie fan than a Hodgson/Stevie Mac fan. Pity the blazers at the FA aren't.

relax you old wan ker the season hasn't started yet, we'll be fine. mid table and no need for stress.

It was a pre season friendly for both teams;

Clevedon apparrently played there bestest team we played mainly 2 sets of reserves;

Pre season is just that the FIRST TEAMS warm up games, play together games, so to be finely tuned when Bradford show up.(We need to replace Stead before then)

We will no doubt raise our game v Rangers as Clevedon did against us, how ever imo pre-season is for the first team with a couple of reserves/trailists added.

Many of the players yesterday will have already been watched in reserve games and in training, many of whom will be just reserves at best this season.

My point being play as many first teamers as possible in as many games as possible or they/we wont be ready

I am consistent with my view on friendlys to be fair, I fail to see the benefit of losing 4, 5 or 6 etc games pre season, with the excuse that it is 'just a friendly'. It is the same scenario for the teams we are playing.

If our 11 pros can't beat or avoid defeat against amateurs, why would they suddenly pull a performance out the bag against our real opposition when the season starts?

I agree 100% with this.

Archived