IGNORED

Clevedon Vs City Match Day Thread

East end Forever

Yes I know it's only a pre-season kick about, but the fact that we don't have a squad that can beat the likes of Clevedon is a concern. From the comments from the folk that went it looks like half the team didn't turn up. I like the mantra of Sean O'D, don't get me wrong, but I have fears that he cannot motivate players, you know up and at 'em mentality, this was apparent last season with or dreadful run in when we threw the towel in as early as March, I hope he or someone in the coaching staff can instill a bit of passion with the shirt, otherwise I fear another season of hurt.

I've got similar concerns about SOD, I'm not a big fan and haven't seen much on the pitch to change my mind yet.

However now he is here he must be given every opportunity to change the culture of the club. I'm happy with his work so far in the summmer market*, he still needs to shift as many of last seasons squad as possible though IMO.

As for the friendlies so far, I haven't seen the team yet but everyone seems happy that we are trying to get the ball down and pass it, which is good to hear. As for the results, they don't really mean too much at this stage, the 2 games against Bournemouth and Reading will be the point at which the squad should have game time in their legs and should be ready for the season to start.

*With the excpection of Careys new contract (sorry Louis fans)

Pre season or not, age, opposition, team sheet is irrelevant IMO, after last season I would of hoped a bit more in terms of display as well of results, just to give us fans some optimism and signs of improvement and that the squad are heading in the right direction, if It was me, I would of had the players back mid June, I like SOD and his vision for the club, but have concerns of him getting the best out of the likes of Fontaine, Killkenny, Pearson ect who IMO could be big time players in league 1

I also find it a complete cop out for all involved to say its a friendly.

Here's an idea, how about telling the boys to TRY and win and see if they are CAPABLE?!

We've lost a lot of matches over the last 2-3 years by big margins, lets not make it the culture of the club for the sake of it.

Its not a good sign that people are being so ludicrously upset about these games.

Patience is, I think, going to be needed, this season in particular, with SOD reshaping the team and getting it to play in a much better way.

It's not surprising that English players are so technically inferior when people can't allow them and the team time to develop properly.

To all the impatient ones, do yourself, and the rest of us, a favour and engage brain, take a chill pill and see the bigger picture.

It was a friendly, and boy did we treat it as such. Never raised a sweat and let Clevedon outclass us in effort and ability, we were nice and friendly for sure.

I couldn't care less about the result but I hope SoD and his coaches at least learnt something from what he saw. No doubt he will have everyone fit and ready for August 3rd as that's when they have to stand up and be counted, and no longer friendly.

I suppose the people saying we shouldn't lose friendlies to lower standard teams are the same people who say England only beat Spain because it was a friendly.

I read very little into preseason results, I seem to remember we had a very good one last year (and we know how that turned out), yet if memory serves we hardly had the best before the playoff final season (although I'm a little sketchy if I'm honest so will probably be corrected on that!)

It was a friendly, and boy did we treat it as such. Never raised a sweat and let Clevedon outclass us in effort and ability, we were nice and friendly for sure.

I couldn't care less about the result but I hope SoD and his coaches at least learnt something from what he saw. No doubt he will have everyone fit and ready for August 3rd as that's when they have to stand up and be counted, and no longer friendly.

Outclass us in ability? No chance.

Outclass us in ability? No chance.

Well they were more able on the day, or we didn't show our ability as we were being friendly. If an alien had landed he would not have known which team were the professionals and which had part timers playing in whatever league they play in, at times.

Winning games.....any games....breeds confidence.

Most of this group of players are mentally weak (seen so many times last season) and their confidence needs restoring with wins....any wins.....the bigger the better.

In the 1st half yesterday, the whole team were mentally weak (especially the defence) and it showed in their play.

You wouldn't get successful managers like Warnock not wanting to win games, even in pre season.

I do wonder how many of those posting on this thread were at a the game

I watched all 90 mins and here is my view for what it's worth

Firstly no way were the teams outclassed in either half, thats just patently not the case

We obviously cant clarify stats, but my guess would be 65-35 minimum in our favour

And there i think lies part of the problem, we we obviously playing a system rather than the team that was put in front of us.

That meant that the players almost seemed scared to go and exploit the gaps and weakness' of the opponents.

Our width only came from the fullbacks, and this meant there wasn't much room in the midfield and we didn't pass the ball that well and too often the ball to Burns and taylor was delayed.

Burns and taylor tended to avoid going wide to look for the ball and made themselves easy to mark for much of the game

Again i think that is a result of them thinking about the formation than going out to beat their opponents and play their natural game.

In fact the one time Burns did venture into the channels it produced a very well taken goal.

Defensively in the first half we do need to look at ourselves, two very poor goals from our perspective, not helped by a goalkeeper who simply should have cleaned up on both occasions despite not being helped by his defenders.

So 2-1 down at half time was harsh, however we didn't learn from that in the second half.

Lots of possession but the formation and plan the same, but to be honest we got into more trouble for space as Cunningham looked more like he wanted to replace lewis hall, than support him on the left hand side of midfield... Very cramped and confusing for such a young lad

As for Maloney trying the same on the other side, he is lost once he crosses the half way line, it simply isn't his game, and if they are to play this formation regularly its hard to see where a number of our attacking players fit.

They were restricted or unwilling to go and simply attack and beat a side who quite frankly defended well and waited for the opportunity to counterattack with the high ball into a nervous first half defence.

Some times you can make things too complicated, yesterday for me was one of those occasions

Well i didnt think it would happen this soon, but in the recent thread about whether we'd rather get promoted by playing shite football or finishing 7th playing football the majority said we should go with the 2nd option and show patience until we can build our own style of play. I mentioned it would be interesting to see if that was the case after a few defeats.

It seems for a lot of people the patience has run out after one half of what was not much more than a training match. Even worse most of those critics that seem to have thrown in the towel didnt even see it.

Archived