IGNORED

Worst City Manager

Major Isewater

Benny by along chalk -clueless!

What is so shocking is we have had so many bad ones! Found it hard to vote on the best one as there is no outstanding candidate. Take a look at Ipswich and they have to chose between Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson while we have to chose between Alan Dicks and Gary Johnson -we are due a good one-let's hope SOD proves to be it!

Pulis without a doubt for me. Results wise it would be Tinnion but for the overall package Tiny Penis wins it hands down. Worst football I have ever seen in my time as a City fan. Plus the over paid journeymen on big deals. Awful. Just awful!

I guess we can't count Coppell in this? Due to being here such a short time? He also signed Albert which is better than anything Tiny Penis ever did.

Agree 100%. Tiny Penis also failed to play any youth too. All sorts of Shenanigans about contracts he had elsewhere, notably Gillingham, where he earned a percentage of profit on players sold I.e. only ever in it for himself and never was out building a team or club. Will always be thankful to Pompey for taking him off our hands. The sheer joy I had the first game after he left with Rosenoir, Fawthorp and the other one in charge was as good as winning promotion. Can't believe we got him over Moyes!!! Ex Gas to boot and by account hated by everyone there.

Absolutely depise the man.

Agree 100%. Tiny Penis also failed to play any youth too. All sorts of Shenanigans about contracts he had elsewhere, notably Gillingham, where he earned a percentage of profit on players sold I.e. only ever in it for himself and never was out building a team or club. Will always be thankful to Pompey for taking him off our hands. The sheer joy I had the first game after he left with Rosenoir, Fawthorp and the other one in charge was as good as winning promotion. Can't believe we got him over Moyes!!! Ex Gas to boot and by account hated by everyone there.

And when he came back a few years later with Sjoke he said "It's nice to be here managing a club i want to manage", or words to that effect. I am convinced he came in to do a hatchet job...and very much succeeded. Vile man and an ugly stain on the history of this club. Number 1, 2 and 3 for me!

And I would go with Osman too up there. The standard of "football" we were watching was simply hideous, as (as someone else pointed out) was shown by the attendances down at Sags proportions. Yes, we won at Anfield, but one swallow doesn't make a summer and his managerial record since shows that he just wasn't cut out for it.

The two most disappointing for me (i don't feel Copout was here long enough to be counted) were Tins and McInness. I wanted Tins to do well so much but it was too much too soon for him without a strong number two. And I remember this board when we'd sacked Millen - McInness seemed to be a fantastic appointment and there was so much optimism on here about him (I guess Robins being the alternative helped that).

And when he came back a few years later with Sjoke he said "It's nice to be here managing a club i want to manage", or words to that effect. I am convinced he came in to do a hatchet job...and very much succeeded. Vile man and an ugly stain on the history of this club. Number 1, 2 and 3 for me!

And I would go with Osman too up there. The standard of "football" we were watching was simply hideous, as (as someone else pointed out) was shown by the attendances down at Sags proportions. Yes, we won at Anfield, but one swallow doesn't make a summer and his managerial record since shows that he just wasn't cut out for it.

The two most disappointing for me (i don't feel Copout was here long enough to be counted) were Tins and McInness. I wanted Tins to do well so much but it was too much too soon for him without a strong number two. And I remember this board when we'd sacked Millen - McInness seemed to be a fantastic appointment and there was so much optimism on here about him (I guess Robins being the alternative helped that).

I still feel some sympathy for Osman. He inherited a divided and undisciplined squad from Denis Smith (amazed that no one is nominating Denis Smith, by the way) and the Djiekanowski problem (and it was a problem, there's no getting away from it). He kept us up against the odds in the first season; he took us to the fifth round of the cup, beating Liverpool along the way, in the second. Yes, he signed some dismal players, but he was being deliberately starved of money by a Board that was keen to see him fail. I agree that the football under Osman was poor, but to me he is far from the worst manager we had.

Even though he appeared to be relatively successful with us, I would have Danny Wilson quite high up, because I believe he had a squad that was strong enough to win promotion in all four years he was manager, yet he failed to do so.

However, at the end of the day, Bobby Houghton takes the biscuit.

I still feel some sympathy for Osman.  He inherited a divided and undisciplined squad from Denis Smith (amazed that no one is nominating Denis Smith, by the way) and the Djiekanowski problem (and it was a problem, there's no getting away from it).  He kept us up against the odds in the first season; he

took us to the fifth round of the cup, beating Liverpool along the way, in the second.  Yes, he signed some dismal players, but he was being deliberately starved of money by a Board that was keen to see him fail.  I agree that the football under Osman was poor, but to me he is far from the worst manager we had.

Even though he appeared to be relatively successful with us, I would have Danny Wilson quite high up, because I believe he had a squad that was strong enough to win promotion in all four years he was manager, yet he failed to do so.

Denis Smith....,,,there you are.

Seriously though, I suppose its how you see the question, Pulis and Coppell are clearly not the worse managers in general, but they were the worse for our club.

The most clueless overall would be hard to pick, probably Tinnion was most out of his depth but that may be unfair to him and more a cross against those who appointed him.

I still feel some sympathy for Osman. He inherited a divided and undisciplined squad from Denis Smith (amazed that no one is nominating Denis Smith, by the way) and the Djiekanowski problem (and it was a problem, there's no getting away from it). He kept us up against the odds in the first season; he took us to the fifth round of the cup, beating Liverpool along the way, in the second. Yes, he signed some dismal players, but he was being deliberately starved of money by a Board that was keen to see him fail. I agree that the football under Osman was poor, but to me he is far from the worst manager we had.

Disagree about Denis Smith - some of our forward play was so silky with the likes of Andy Cole, Dziekanowski, Wayne Allison and Leroy Rosenior.

We were all crying out for Andy Cole to be signed after his loan spell, unfortunately Denis Smith had no more money to spend on defence and ended up with the likes of Brian Mitchell and Dave Thompson in defence.

Pullis for me, it was the worst football I have ever seen, goalie has the ball big punt upfield to your striker, bypass midfield and try and score. The nearest I have ever come to packing it all in. Thank God he went (Portsmouth I think ) I know a comment was made by the Chairman at the time , think it was Scott Davidson " if I had known he was interested in the Portsmouth job I would have driven him there myself"

Great shout. Was it Rosenior, Fawthrop and Burnside!? May have got that wrong?

But yeah good point Pulis never played the youth either! Disastrous spell! Absolutely hate the bloke!

Are people really suggesting Tinnion as our worst ever manager?

He was in charge for 53 league games, from which we got 76 points (and finished seventh in his first season in charge).

In Danny Wilson's first 53 league games we got 83 points (having finished ninth in his first season in charge).

Not too dissimilar in terms of points per game, yet Wilson is viewed by many as a good manager in league 1 whereas Tinnion seems to be seen as a disaster (although before anyone brings it up, yes the Swansea 7-1 away game was dreadful, but it's not as if his whole reign as manager was as bad as that).

Are people really suggesting Tinnion as our worst ever manager?

He was in charge for 53 league games, from which we got 76 points (and finished seventh in his first season in charge).

In Danny Wilson's first 53 league games we got 83 points (having finished ninth in his first season in charge).

Not too dissimilar in terms of points per game, yet Wilson is viewed by many as a good manager in league 1 whereas Tinnion seems to be seen as a disaster (although before anyone brings it up, yes the Swansea 7-1 away game was dreadful, but it's not as if his whole reign as manager was as bad as that).

I was thinking that as well..........Tinman had a group of players who were pretty rotten to the club really...with the drinking culture etc and they were never going to listen to an old mate just because he was now in charge...on a loser from the start

Lumsden as well......until GJ took us to prayoffs I'm sure JL had finished us the highest finish for god know how long......

Benny by along chalk -clueless!

What is so shocking is we have had so many bad ones! Found it hard to vote on the best one as there is no outstanding candidate. Take a look at Ipswich and they have to chose between Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson while we have to chose between Alan Dicks and Gary Johnson -we are due a good one-let's hope SOD proves to be it!

Perhaps but I seem to remember that all the things we're doing now Benny wanted to do all those years ago. Maybe the wrong manager but if we ever thought about a director of football them Benny was the kiddie

Pulis wins this one from me - taking the club backwards, we went backwards so fast under him it was heartbreaking

The party at Bournemouth after he'd gone was awesome, however there was a home game we went 3-0 up against Bournemouth I think and few joked saying "We might get a point out of this" sure enough, we drew 3-3 - something like that, may have gone 3-1 up idk

Also for the relative success he had elsewhere shows how much his time at us was a complete failure and I loved the Stoke game in 07/08 at home the noise of the booing was deafening, and that was in the atyeo!

Peter Doherty was the most disruptive

Russell Osman played the most boring football

Danny Wilson bottled it when it mattered most

Brian Tinnion was put in the most impossible position

Steve Copout bottled it most - he never even took on the job

McLueless was just that - the most clueless of them all

BUT

Tiny Penis was the spawn of Satan.

He didn't care about the club

He was obsessed by his legal battle with the appalling Scally

His idea of tactics was long range bombardment from his own area (rather like General Haig)

He was an obnoxious Gashead

I don't see how he got to be called Tiny Penis when he was the biggest pr1ck ever to manage City ;)

Peter Doherty was the most disruptive

Russell Osman played the most boring football

Danny Wilson bottled it when it mattered most

Brian Tinnion was put in the most impossible position

Steve Copout bottled it most - he never even took on the job

McLueless was just that - the most clueless of them all

BUT

Tiny Penis was the spawn of Satan.

He didn't care about the club

He was obsessed by his legal battle with the appalling Scally

His idea of tactics was long range bombardment from his own area (rather like General Haig)

He was an obnoxious Gashead

I don't see how he got to be called Tiny Penis when he was the biggest pr1ck ever to manage City ;)

The dreadful Pulis did well at Stoke, bestg Stoke manager in a long time, into Europe for first time in ages and through several rounds though not good enough to beat Valencia, FA Cup final- ikf he'd delivered that to us, would we have overlooked the Gashead, long ball stuff?? I still think he was dreadful with us but his success elsewhere or relative success does make me wonder why it went so bad with us!

The dreadful Pulis did well at Stoke, bestg Stoke manager in a long time, into Europe for first time in ages and through several rounds though not good enough to beat Valencia, FA Cup final- ikf he'd delivered that to us, would we have overlooked the Gashead, long ball stuff?? I still think he was dreadful with us but his success elsewhere or relative success does make me wonder why it went so bad with us!

Maybe Stoke fans were ready to put up with the Gas-style long-ball clogging. We weren't, nor should we have been.

Wouldn't want that if it meant watching his brand of football every week. What's the point? It's not entertaining.

Ooh choices, choices ....

No 1 for me - Pulis without a doubt. Was torture going to games when he was manager, total disdain for fans, dross signings - will loathe and despise him forever.

No 2 - Danny Wilson - serial bottler, rubbish team selection when it mattered - wasted years. Left an unfit and ill-disciplined team behind him. Will never forgive him for Brighton - ever.

No 3 - Millen and McInnes share the honours. Can remember the devastation when Millie was appointed just knowing he wouldn't take us anywhere and the hopes for McInnes draining away with each passing week. Both nice blokes I am sure but not good enough to manage our club.

Coppell never looked like he wanted to be anywhere near us. First home game looked like he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him. Few weeks later we were all wishing the same for him.

Tinman - nah. As others have said he tried and the fact that he began to move on those who had grown fat and lazy under Wilson's reign earns him points in my books. And his heart was in it. Just not the experience.

Benny - simply wrong bloke, wrong time.

Johnson and Ward both good managers - sad it ended for them both as it did.

Miss the rapport we used to have with some of our managers. SOD up for most miserable bleedin' manager of all time anyone?

Benny's a strange one for me. It was a massive culture shock for him and I don't think he was necessarily expecting the top job when interviewed. I know he took us down and there were some dismal moments that season, such as the infamous Wolves match, but truth be told, his work with the kids was excellent and come the end of the season the results by and large betrayed the performances. We were pretty much in a losing habit, but were playing quite well. I was fortunate enough to do every game that season and it certainly wasn't the most dreadful ever despite the relegation. I really do believe that he'd have taken us back up and in a much stronger position had we stuck with him. I certainly wouldn't have expected it to take us another 9 years to get out of that division again with him in charge.

Pulis.

Came in with a mandate - rightly - to try and sort things out. Fair enough, kick some ar53, on you go. Was prepared to tolerate his Gaseous history for that.

But the disgusting football, woeful signings, failure to encourage youth players (although he's not alone in that, step forward...GJ) and his total arrogance were just sickening.

I went to the game after he'd left (Bournemuff away), and I swear it was like a party in the City end. I remember when Tony Thorpe (IIRC) scored the winner in front of us we all went utterly, utterly MENTAL

Wasn't it around that time that Tinman was coming on the City message board (think it was the Rival one back then)? He was saying the players hate Penis as well but please back us, etc etc.

Think McInnes needed an experienced head like a Director of Football just to help him out, what clearly worked with the success he had with St.Johnstone didn't work at City.

Millen did his best to and was a great servant for City, just kept thinking that player power ousted him out for whatever reason but that was evident last 20min of the Reading game and all of the Blackpool game.. the abuse he received from fans after the Reading game was disgusting.

Benny's a strange one for me. It was a massive culture shock for him and I don't think he was necessarily expecting the top job when interviewed. I know he took us down and there were some dismal moments that season, such as the infamous Wolves match, but truth be told, his work with the kids was excellent and come the end of the season the results by and large betrayed the performances. We were pretty much in a losing habit, but were playing quite well. I was fortunate enough to do every game that season and it certainly wasn't the most dreadful ever despite the relegation. I really do believe that he'd have taken us back up and in a much stronger position had we stuck with him. I certainly wouldn't have expected it to take us another 9 years to get out of that division again with him in charge.

I liked Benny and feel if we had stuck by him for the long term

he would have done a good job for us without breaking the bank

Archived