IGNORED

Time To Go Albert

chivers88

Can I ask, how did Maynard shaft the club?

At the start of his last season he could of done what Albert has done. Albert's openly said he wants to leave but will try his best while he's here, so at least the situation is clear. Maynard said nothing and acted like he didn't want to be here when he played. How can you come on here and have a pop at Albert but stick up for that ****. Unbelievable.

Anyone criticising Albert needs to be careful or that chip on their shoulder will have someones eye out!

Instead of knocking albert for giving his all in the 3 years hes been here cut him some slack and realise we are in league one, we will lose players and players (one of our best) will want to leave...some cause a stink, albert has said hes commuted and I for one believe him

Surely we need to write into contracts that they get paid weekly, for every week they are at the club.

Then I'm sure you'll moan and wonder why every transfer target we go for rejects us.....

It's football and is a normality.

Swings and roundabouts with your negativity toward a good honest person who clearly wants to (and is able) of playing at a higher level.

On a personal note, if Albert stays and doesn't retain a place in the Ghana squad it'll hit him hard. This could effectively snowball on his career.

If Albert pushes on, gets his move and does his best elsewhere, he knows he gave it his best shot at playing in the World Cup - selected or not.

Why some are so bitter toward a genuinely good person does confuse me.

Jealousy? Selfishness? Frustration?

At the start of his last season he could of done what Albert has done. Albert's openly said he wants to leave but will try his best while he's here, so at least the situation is clear. Maynard said nothing and acted like he didn't want to be here when he played. How can you come on here and have a pop at Albert but stick up for that ****. Unbelievable.

How do you not know Maynard didn't say he wanted to leave, or was genuinely considering signing a new contract? I'm not sticking up for Maynard, I was just asking why people think he shafted the club.

He's been a great player for the club and represented the well for the last 3 seasons. As I said, legend no, good servant yes.

Has he been a great player though? He normally starts really well, but is pretty poor come the back end of the season.

Good player for us, but looked a lot better due to the doss we had at the time.

Then I'm sure you'll moan and wonder why every transfer target we go for rejects us.....

Swings and roundabouts with your negativity toward a good honest person who clearly wants to (and is able) of playing at a higher level.

On a personal note, if Albert stays and doesn't retain a place in the Ghana squad it'll hit him hard. This could effectively snowball on his career.

If Albert pushes on, gets his move and does his best elsewhere, he knows he gave it his best shot at playing in the World Cup - selected or not.

Why some are so bitter toward a genuinely good person does confuse me.

Jealousy? Selfishness? Frustration?

I'm not bitter towards the guy. I just feel like right now he should be concentrating on Bristol City, not discussing a move away on camera. I do blame whoever done the video for the stupid questions though. I think you are getting confused with me and someone who is constantly negative. I don't moan about us not getting players in, especially as I understand FFP is now coming in.

I'd still argue that the club shafted itself over Maynard - the bottom line is the club knew his contract was running down and should have been more decisive in insisting he make a decision that previous summer and pro-actively trying to sell him if he didn't commit to staying. Obviously that was complicated by the fact he didn't really want to move to the Championship but I still think the club hoped he'd sign a new contract and failed to make a decision in time.

Plus generally I think loyalty is an unfair stick to beat players with in any case - it's a bit hypocritical to demand players stick by a club no matter what when I'll be quite happy if the club puts them out to grass when someone better comes in. I'm not going to shed any tears if Wynter and Pack or Kilkenny end up playing well and that means Pearson and Elliott get ditched by the club. I wouldn't shed any tears if Adomah stayed but then Burns or Ajala ended up playing so brilliantly that he couldn't get near the team - I accept that's probably not realistic btw - so I feel silly demanding loyalty of the players. They get no loyalty from clubs so it's hard to ask them to reciprocate something that doesn't exist.

That said, it is far better that Adomah has been open about his intentions and I'm not really sure why people are suddenly getting on his back as he's made clear in an interview that he'd ideally like to leave if an offer comes in - we've known that for weeks. As long as he works hard and gives his all on Saturday and any other game until he's sold he'll have my support.

Has he been a great player though? He normally starts really well, but is pretty poor come the back end of the season.

Good player for us, but looked a lot better due to the doss we had at the time.

I think he is a good player and has played well. You can see he's a good player and not good compared to the poor performances from the team over the last view years by the fact that he's been linked with teams at the top of the championship and premier league, IMO.

I never understand why we have to pay his final salary if he goes to another club?

It's not really unusual for a fixed term contract to have severance terms that require full payment. I always try and get that in mine.

Surely we need to write into contracts that they get paid weekly, for every week they are at the club.

The form of the contract is, as I understand it, standardized across the league and approved by the PFA. If we insisted on terms like that I expect a) we wouldn't be allowed to and b) nobody would sign. The reality is if those terms were different, wages would be higher or there would be bigger signing on fees.

What Albert has done here is tell the club formally that he is waiving his right to the contract being paid up, to grease the wheels for a move. It's fair enough, and it doesn't stop people being professional about it.

It's not really unusual for a fixed term contract to have severance terms that require full payment. I always try and get that in mine.

The form of the contract is, as I understand it, standardized across the league and approved by the PFA. If we insisted on terms like that I expect a) we wouldn't be allowed to and b) nobody would sign. The reality is if those terms were different, wages would be higher or there would be bigger signing on fees.

What Albert has done here is tell the club formally that he is waiving his right to the contract being paid up, to grease the wheels for a move. It's fair enough, and it doesn't stop people being professional about it.

It seems ridiculous that we would have to pay Albert a years wages, when he's at another club and is getting a wage there too.

I wouldn't be surprised if it changed, especially with the new financial rules.

I think he is a good player and has played well. You can see he's a good player and not good compared to the poor performances from the team over the last view years by the fact that he's been linked with teams at the top of the championship and premier league, IMO.

Indeed.

I can't call Albert a great either as he hasn't been a long term mainstay, such as Murray or Carey.

But I think I'd be affected if the people around me let me down and are shit so it doesn't surprise me he didn't flourish all season.

He caught the eye of opposing fans more than anyone else in our team last season and he's not throwing the toys out trying to leave first.

Says a lot about him as a person.

Tins, must say that when its transfer news you'll always have those sort of questions. Albert dealt with it well. Don't know how much he wanted to really say and how to put it without being slammed by individuals.

Tins, must say that when its transfer news you'll always have those sort of questions. Albert dealt with it well. Don't know how much he wanted to really say and how to put it without being slammed by individuals.

Like I've said all night, the interview should never of happened. It didn't need to happy and I felt he came across really badly.

He seemed arrogant and that he's leaving whatever happens. He didn't seem to care about the club after he left.

All my opinion though.

Whilst that is a load of bollux, I would say that we wouldn't miss him with the current set up.

I hope he goes as its just a distraction.

How is it bull?!

He was on fire at the start of last season, then got tired and he went missing.

I'm sure he will fire in a few goals at the start of this season and will be on his way.

He seems a bit big time charlie, especially in the behind the scenes clip on YouTube. "Oh I'm in the corner am i?!" Oooh aren't I pedantic!

But the Albert of the past wouldnt of acted like that in my opinion...

It's time to go our seperate ways I'm afraid (again in my opinion), but good luck to the kid.

It seems ridiculous that we would have to pay Albert a years wages, when he's at another club and is getting a wage there too.

It isn't ridiculous if we've signed a contract that agrees those severance terms. And it won't change, for the same reason wages won't come down. There is still bucketloads of money in the game and we're competing for players with other clubs. Competition drives wages and other benefits up and this has been the common practise since players have had contracts and registrations held by clubs.

Terms like these are a protection as well - the club can't just sack a player when they get snap an achilles for example. They can't force a player to move just because they changed managers and the new one has different ideas. It might seem unimportant when we're talking about players earning £300k a year upwards, but they aren't all in that situation.

Also bear in mind that any contract can be changed by agreement, there are often compromises. If a big offer turns up the player is unlikely to quibble.

It isn't ridiculous if we've signed a contract that agrees those severance terms. And it won't change, for the same reason wages won't come down. There is still bucketloads of money in the game and we're competing for players with other clubs. Competition drives wages and other benefits up and this has been the common practise since players have had contracts and registrations held by clubs.

Terms like these are a protection as well - the club can't just sack a player when they get snap an achilles for example. They can't force a player to move just because they changed managers and the new one has different ideas. It might seem unimportant when we're talking about players earning £300k a year upwards, but they aren't all in that situation.

Also bear in mind that any contract can be changed by agreement, there are often compromises. If a big offer turns up the player is unlikely to quibble.

Wages have gone down massively in my opinion. Look at us for example. Harewood is probably used to being on big bucks, but he won't be on massive wages here. Ok that is partly due to age and ability, but he would of got more in the same situation 3 years ago in my opinion.

There isn't as much competition for players anymore, that's why you have decent players like Weale playing for Shrewsbury, or even was at Northampton last year.

Wages have gone down massively in my opinion. Look at us for example. Harewood is probably used to being on big bucks, but he won't be on massive wages here. Ok that is partly due to age and ability, but he would of got more in the same situation 3 years ago in my opinion.

There isn't as much competition for players anymore, that's why you have decent players like Weale playing for Shrewsbury, or even was at Northampton last year.

Wages haven't gone down at all. Look at the figures from Deloitte or just look at the club annual results.

They go up every year, year on year, and have done forever - even when you take into account inflation.

FFP and SCMP might at best curb the rate of rises, but they won't stop them. There is still more money coming into the game, and it does trickle down from the top albeit slowly.

We signed an ex Premier League player who was more successful and younger than Harewood last time we were in league one - and the wages won't be much different this time round if we do the same.

Must say I see it completely the other way round, especially for the likes of Chris Weale.

Competition for players is very high and that's why he's willing to play for Shrewsbury. Goalies especially have this issue when they get to an age of wanting.

I'd assume Weale isn't much better/worse than when he played for us or Leicester but finds himself at Shrewsbury.

Must say I see it completely the other way round, especially for the likes of Chris Weale.

Competition for players is very high and that's why he's willing to play for Shrewsbury. Goalies especially have this issue when they get to an age of wanting.

I'd assume Weale isn't much better/worse than when he played for us or Leicester but finds himself at Shrewsbury.

I mean, there wasn't much competition between clubs to sign him, hence why he is at Shrewsbury.

He would be financially worse off than when at us or Leicester.

I think that him putting in a transfer request means we don't have to pay this years wages if he goes in this window, but it does seem silly..

Is that correct?

Lets face it, the important thing is he sticks by what he said and he will give 100% whilst still under contract.

I really can't see Albert being the type of player to lose his concentration and give a real negative affect towards the club.

Maynard went about it the wrong way, AA will go about it the right way. I'm sure of it.

Lets face it, the important thing is he sticks by what he said and he will give 100% whilst still under contract.

I really can't see Albert being the type of player to lose his concentration and give a real negative affect towards the club.

Maynard went about it the wrong way, AA will go about it the right way. I'm sure of it.

agree

For me he came across really poorly in that interview. I'm not sure if he meant to come across as being arrogant, but the comment about promotion and "well I'm here so" doesn't sit well with me. He almost came across, to me, as I'm bigger than the club, I've got interest, and as soon as the club can agree a fee with someone I'm off.

I'm sorry Albert, but nobody is bigger than Bristol City, I think you're over hyped, and I'll be glad to get a £1m for you.

Just my opinion.

I thought the same about that part but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't intend for it to come across that way. Think it'd be better for all parties if he goes now and I'd even take under £1m just so we can bring the players we want in before the window closes.

I thought the same about that part but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't intend for it to come across that way. Think it'd be better for all parties if he goes now and I'd even take under £1m just so we can bring the players we want in before the window closes.

Agreed, we have to face it that AA will be leaving BCFC sometime in the next 9 months (even if we get promoted back to the Championship, I can't see him staying around). Therefore, we can either accept £800k now, £200K at Christmas, or let him leave for free at the end of the season.

I for one would prefer the former. Let's take the cash, and use it to build a squad for the future.

I think that him putting in a transfer request means we don't have to pay this years wages if he goes in this window, but it does seem silly..

Is that correct?

My understanding it that by handing in a tansfer request, he is saying it wants to leave. Nothing more, nothing less.

All transfers are individually negotiated. Therefore, if a player really wants to leave, he can grease the wheels but agreeing to take a lower salary from his new employer, or by agreesing to forego some of the benefits he is entitled to under his old contract. Either way, all parties still need to agree to the terms of the transfer first.

I expect to be shot down for saying this but Some of the things said about Albert on this forum are ridiculous. Yes he's been our best player for 3 years but that not exactly an achievement. Hes a good championship winger that's it but is too inconsistent n his end product needs improving and is a defensive liability. He is over rated by many on here and this is shown by the fact we have not received a 7 figure bid for him, if he was as good as stated on here a club would have snapped our arm off at a million pound asking price.

Since I've been reading this forum every player who puts in a transfer request gets slaughtered except Albert who apparently is doing the club a favour this is a load of rubbish of anything he's weakened our position by clubs knowing he doesn't want to be here.

Good luck to him in the future hope he does well as its always nice to see ex city players do well but for me it's time to go. No one is bigger than the club

I never understand why we have to pay his final salary if he goes to another club?

If the club sells a player who hasn't asked for a transfer, they are contractually obliged to pay up his contract. That, I understand, is standard in any professional contract. Clubs have tried to negotiate their way out of this in the past, but the players union have been instrumental in having this clause kept as standard.

Some clubs pay loyalty payments as the contract progresses, so then they don't have to pay the remainder of the contract, but essentially, it's the same thing, it just may make it easier for cash flow etc.

A friend of mine was once a pro for York City when they were in the league and he told me that if that clause was removed, players wouldn't sign. It's seen as an integral part of a players contract and protection.

Agreed, we have to face it that AA will be leaving BCFC sometime in the next 9 months (even if we get promoted back to the Championship, I can't see him staying around). Therefore, we can either accept £800k now, £200K at Christmas, or let him leave for free at the end of the season.

I for one would prefer the former. Let's take the cash, and use it to build a squad for the future.

Not only that, but I presume that SOD will have sold his vision and plan for the future to all the new signings. How will they feel if they are sitting on the bench while SOD is playing a player who has made it clear he doesn't want to be a part of BCFC's long term plan, even if he does give 100% commitment out on the pitch?

I've had no problem with AA as a player, but looking to the future we should be making sure we sell him this summer, even if it means taking less of a fee than we would have hoped.

After watching Alberts interview I think it's time to go let's face it he don't wanna be here no more he ain't committed to the cause I for one would rather not see him in the team if u don't wanna play for Bristol city then dont!

?..now is the time??that time was last season-mostly he couldn't be bothered.laziness,lousy attitude,clearly eyeing the exit.why are people seemingly shocked by this interview?was"ok"ish untill cup of nations,after that just so obvious he was hoping for a meaty move away.wouldent have him within a thousand yards of the first team squad and only surprised at how some feel he is going to be holding his own in the Prem.not up to that yet.will be glad when the till rings and we see the back of him.long overdue...

I think some things are best unsaid so maybe the club would have been better showing an interview from another player instead, unless it's to only attract other clubs, but that's his agents job surely.

I think it is time to part company. He has outgrown us (due to our relegation)and from his point of view his head is already at another club, he's working his notice so to speak but without a start date, or destination.

No doubt if selected he will give his all (but stay safe) but that will be to benefit himself, he wants to attract interest for HIS move. Although I have enjoyed watching him, the football on the whole has been one of our worst periods over the past few years, he hasn't really experienced 'good times' , or brought them to us has he.

By asking for a transfer does that potentially open a wider amount of clubs who might be interested, it should do as they won't be asked by us to pay up his contract such as we were negotiating with Fielding for example?

It's the age old problem of a player's short career v fans aspirations.

He wants to play at the highest level and feels he has done all he can for us and he doesn't want to miss out on this opportunity which could be detrimental to his international career.

Because we are fans through thick and thin some of us think he is betraying the club that really launched his career.

Archived