IGNORED

Ipswich Midfield

westonred

Are you absolutely certain it was SO'D who offered it?

I seem to remember James Wilson, for instance, was offered a new contract when City were 'between' managers.....

The Skuse contract saga went on for a while. I believe McInnes offered it.

Not sure whether SOD was obliged to honour any agreement.

The truth is Skuse was a good player but not really what we need under SOD. I really couldn't envisage Skuse being a part of our current midfield.

I think what noggers is saying, is that it was more than likely influenced by the board.

Dont think SOD would of put up with that sort of thing to be honest. If you don't rate him then fair enough but some of the grief he gets is a bit unjustified, he was never going to be a playmaker however I don't think it helped he never had a quality partner with him but he always put a shift in.

I rated him but think its for the best he's gone his career became abut stagnant whilst he was here. Good luck to him whenever I met him always seemed like a nice bloke.

Before we had better players.

Skuse is better off for a year with Ipswich and I sincerely hope he makes a go of it - but I doubt that he will.

We have far better players now in midfield.

Totally agree. Some of these new players are showing some of our older players up for what they are.

Skuse would be behind Marv for me and he's not even third choice CM

Said it before, and saying it again....Skuse was first on the team sheet for our last five managers, first to get a contract offer from another Chamionship manager when we went down. Personally, I go for the opinion of 6

Why don't you explain exactly what YOU think skuse brought to Bristol city?

I personally thought he was poor, never looked to thread that decisive ball through to our strikers, couldnt finish for toffee and regularly let opposing midfielders run the length of the pitch to score.

He is not a patch on wynter, jet or pack and would be nowhere near the first team now. However I think his best position for us was always a right back, a decent one at that.

Four or five that got the sack and relied upon the old stagers - Skuse, Carey, Elliott, Fontaine. They deserved the bloody sack.

Skuse needed to leave for his own career - lazy buggerwith his career, now he'll have to acutually prove he's worth a starting place. I think he'll find that tough over the season and he'll find himself on the bench.

Nowhere near what we have now.

Reliable. Unspectacular but rarely let the side down. Decent defensive midfielder (agree arguably stronger at right back). Broke up opponents attacks: when he played we were less likely to be over-run thorugh the middle. Read the game well. Kept possession.

I agree he didn't develop as he should have done - laziness, personality - too laid back, I dunno. And I agree that I'm far more excited by the prospect of JET, Wynter and Pack in our midfield - although I still wonder who'll provide that defensive role - thought Wynter did OK at it on Sat, maybe Kilkenny, but its early days.

But he was a competent Championship player - and I don't think you can dismiss the judgement of 6 league managers on the basis that they got the sack. That's pretty much inevitable for any manager. Coppell (who made Skuse his captain) has a great track record as a manager - I hate what he did to us, but you can't deny his success elsewhere. And GJ was (is) hardly a failure as a manager. And even the other 4 made it as far as manager at Championship level, which is more than any (I think!) of the critics on here.

Reliable. Unspectacular but rarely let the side down. Decent defensive midfielder (agree arguably stronger at right back). Broke up opponents attacks: when he played we were less likely to be over-run thorugh the middle. Read the game well. Kept possession.

I agree he didn't develop as he should have done - laziness, personality - too laid back, I dunno. And I agree that I'm far more excited by the prospect of JET, Wynter and Pack in our midfield - although I still wonder who'll provide that defensive role - thought Wynter did OK at it on Sat, maybe Kilkenny, but its early days.

But he was a competent Championship player - and I don't think you can dismiss the judgement of 6 league managers on the basis that they got the sack. That's pretty much inevitable for any manager. Coppell (who made Skuse his captain) has a great track record as a manager - I hate what he did to us, but you can't deny his success elsewhere. And GJ was (is) hardly a failure as a manager. And even the other 4 made it as far as manager at Championship level, which is more than any (I think!) of the critics on here.

Couldn't score, not creative, could tackle ok, but couldn't recognise a midfield runner if they bit him on the arse.

Nice bloke who had stagnated, a move was the best for everybody concerned, especially for him, perhaps a new coach will help make become the player he should have become, good luck to him.

And where are these managers now? Or more to the point what happened to them all at this club? Not saying he is the sole reason why managers have gone but come on.. How many games did Skuse influence or when did he have a good game?

His career stagnated the last 4 or 5 seasons under these managers.

Where are they now?

Gary Johnson has just had an amazing season with Yeovil. He got them promoted on a budget of approx 25p. This season he will be in the Championship.

Keith Millen, although not very good as a manager, has a good record as a coach. This season he will be assistant manager in the Premier League after helping Crystal Palace get promoted last season.

SOD is still with the club and doing great things. Skuse was injured for a time when Del came, but as soon as he was fit SOD put him back into the team.

I agree that Del has gone back to obscurity, and Steve Coppell doesn’t count, but even Del must have had some basic football knowledge

Not when we were a top 6 cc side under GJ, LJ |& ME were the requlars!

But, yes he was a regular in all the relegation battle sides under Copout, Millen and Del-boy!

Gary Johnson was manager from 2005 – March 2010.

Skuse’s appearances during that period were:

05-06 – 38

06-07 – 42

07-08 – 25

08 -09 – 33

09 -10 – 43.

I’d say that makes him a pretty regular player in Johnson’s teams.

Skuse only started 7 games (+ 1 late sub appearance) under SOD and didn't play again after the Sheff Weds draw on Easter Monday as he had an injury. Can't remember what it was but he wasn't available for the whole of February. He started in the Ipswich and Watford wins and the Brighton draw we should have won. I also didn't think SOD did offer him a new contract as I thought it was always understood Skuse would be gone at the end of the season. I know he's talked about him being a good player but I can't say I'm not happier with the midfield we've got now though. It was time for both parties to move on.

Gary Johnson was manager from 2005 – March 2010.

Skuse’s appearances during that period were:

05-06 – 38

06-07 – 42

07-08 – 25

08 -09 – 33

09 -10 – 43.

I’d say that makes him a pretty regular player in Johnson’s teams.

05 - 07 Was league 1 (Skuses level)

07 - 08 Skuse plays less......we improve!

09 - 10 Johnsons worse season...ahem....Skuse plays lots of games....ahem....we were crap!

I can't believe (actually I can, but I shouldn't) that even after he's been gone for 3 months and seems to have got reasonably positive reviews from his first couple of games for his new club, so many people are queuing up to try and make everyone accept that Cole Skuse is a terrible footballer. Why does it matter? I can only assume that he's run over a lot of peoples dogs or shagged a lot of peoples wives to receive this level of vitriol.

The one thing I will say for him is that I've never seen a City performance where he has been the worst player on the pitch

Ipswich fans have always recognised a good player when they see. Can't say the same about some City fans.

Every single past and present Ipswich fan always had or has a 100% accurate account of an Ipswich player?

Do you realise how dim you sound?

It's strange that most of the players that have left us have gone back into a league where they were not good enough.

Not strange at all (unless you were being ironic, in which case what follows is not directed at you).

The mistake many people make on this site is to assume that because we had such a lousy team last season, it must mean the individuals who made up the side were all poor players. This is nonsense.

The fact that Stead, Heaton, Davies, Skuse, Adomah, and Anderson are all rated as Championship class by managers at several other clubs is not a coincidence. They are not bad players, but they were grossly under-performing players last year, both individually and collectively. You have to ask yourself why that was so.

If you were to ask SOD, he'd probably tell you that, if they came at a price BCFC could afford, he'd happily still have many of them here. He's on record as saying he didn't want to lose any of those I've named - unless you're going to dismiss that as mere diplomacy. Personally, I think they'd have had a field day at this level.

The default position on OTIB when faced with disappointment and frustration is to lash out at the latest scapegoat. Skuse, for example, is still copping it on another thread, despite the fact he left the club weeks ago and we're now into a new season with a new team. Can't say I blame him for going elsewhere.

Not strange at all (unless you were being ironic, in which case what follows is not directed at you).

The mistake many people make on this site is to assume that because we had such a lousy team last season, it must mean the individuals who made up the side were all poor players. This is nonsense.

The fact that Stead, Heaton, Davies, Skuse, Adomah, and Anderson are all rated as Championship class by managers at several other clubs is not a coincidence. They are not bad players, but they were grossly under-performing players last year, both individually and collectively. You have to ask yourself why that was so.

If you were to ask SOD, he'd probably tell you that, if they came at a price BCFC could afford, he'd happily still have many of them here. He's on record as saying he didn't want to lose any of those I've named - unless you're going to dismiss that as mere diplomacy. Personally, I think they'd have had a field day at this level.

The default position on OTIB when faced with disappointment and frustration is to lash out at the latest scapegoat. Skuse, for example, is still copping it on another thread, despite the fact he left the club weeks ago and we're now into a new season with a new team. Can't say I blame him for going elsewhere.

With the exception of Adomah, I don't think any of them would of had a field day in league 1.

I'm not convinced that there is a massive difference between Skuse and Bradfords 36 year old Jones, who was playing league 2 last season.

As for Stead and Anderson....nothing in their careers would suggest that they would take the league by storm....good players though nevertheless.

I could never make up my mind about Skuse, he was never a stand out player, but did the simple things well, and was an excellent professional.

Clearly he has something, given interest from other clubs in the past, and we should remember that he is playing at a level above us still. He seems to have made a good impression there so far.

I guess it is the nature of that type of player, if they play well, simply keeping the game moving and breaking up attacks they can appear anonymous, and if they have a poor game they are anonymous. They don't score many goals or provide assists and trouble the statisticians, and they do not dominate the oppositions centre forwards and become a hero for that. They are the glue or the lubricant (depending on which way you look at it) that keeps a side organised and well balanced and gives others the chance to make the headlines. You would certainly never see a collection of Skuses finest champagne moments on YouTube, but maybe there is more to football than that?

Many real students of the game sing the praises of players like Skuse, but we mortals often don't appreciate the contribution, as it is more subtle than other types of players.

I don't claim to be a student of the game, and as I said, I could never make up my mind, but I do acknowledge that the lad has something, and he certainly needed a move to freshen up his career.

I for one wish him the best of luck, and would warmly applaud him should we play Ipswich in the future.

With the exception of Adomah, I don't think any of them would of had a field day in league 1.

I'm not convinced that there is a massive difference between Skuse and Bradfords 36 year old Jones, who was playing league 2 last season.

As for Stead and Anderson....nothing in their careers would suggest that they would take the league by storm....good players though nevertheless.

Fair play: I was probably overstating the case a bit in my desire to make the point, which was really simply what you say yourself at the end. They're all decent players - and it's not just Mick McCarthy who thinks so (and he's no mug in my opinion, either, despite what some may think). The managers at Burnley, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Middlesbrough also seem to think they can play a bit. You're right, of course, to say they wouldn't have had it easy in L1, and I stand corrected there, but I would maintain that we've lost some quality as a result of relegation and certain Championship managers would seem to agree.

Whilst I'm encouraged by the recruitment we've seen, those who argue we're now stronger than last year are getting over-excited in my view. Better balanced, perhaps (especially in the back four), with a better attitude, I hope, and therefore potentially more of a team, but player for player, I don't think we can say these guys are better then what we've lost.

Fair play: I was probably overstating the case a bit in my desire to make the point, which was really simply what you say yourself at the end. They're all decent players - and it's not just Mick McCarthy who thinks so (and he's no mug in my opinion, either, despite what some may think). The managers at Burnley, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Middlesbrough also seem to think they can play a bit. You're right, of course, to say they wouldn't have had it easy in L1, and I stand corrected there, but I would maintain that we've lost some quality as a result of relegation and certain Championship managers would seem to agree.

Whilst I'm encouraged by the recruitment we've seen, those who argue we're now stronger than last year are getting over-excited in my view. Better balanced, perhaps (especially in the back four), with a better attitude, I hope, and therefore potentially more of a team, but player for player, I don't think we can say these guys are better then what we've lost.

From the named above, I do think that Anderson is the biggest loss. I think he is probably a class above of both Wagstaff and Bryan, and certainly would fit in with SOD's footballing philosophy.

From the named above, I do think that Anderson is the biggest loss. I think he is probably a class above of both Wagstaff and Bryan, and certainly would fit in with SOD's footballing philosophy.

Yep, with you on that one. I was disappointed when I heard he was going. Very different kind of wide player from, say, Albert. Unspectacular, but a hard-working, intelligent footballer and a good team man who put his shift in. A typical SOD player, in fact. Wagstaff seems a like-for-like replacement: a similar type of player, but that's on the basis of having seen him play only once.

I was sorry to lose Davies, too. A bit less dependable, perhaps, in some ways (there were frequent mutterings about fitness and other suspected, but un-named, shortcomings), but for me the best technical payer in the squad (before the arrival of JET) and a good finisher. He would have scored goals in L2.

but if Anderson was the bait to get us JET is Anderson such a loss after all?

Archived